Import Text to specific cell

I'd like to import a set of data to specific, non-sequential, cells in
a spreadsheet.  Is there a way of doing this without using VBA?

e.g. 3 fields worth per row of source data with the first being Column
and the second being row and third being the text (or number) to put in
a cell.

Data:
A  3   "3.5 Course1"
C 5   " 3 Course 3"
etc.

This would put "3.5 Course1" in cell A:3,   " 3 Course 3" in C:5  etc.

It seems as though it ought to be doable.  Any help would be
appreciated.

Jim Mitchell

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I don't think you can without VBA

Assuming your data starts in a1:c(n) without blanks this should do what
you're looking for.

HTHs
*******

Sub DistributeData()

Dim i As Long
Dim strCell As String

Do
    If Range("A1").Offset(i, 0) <> "" Then
        strCell = Range("A1").Offset(i, 0) & Range("A1").Offset(i, 1)
        Range(strCell) = Range("A1").Offset(i, 2)
    End If
    i = i + 1
Loop Until Range("A1").Offset(i, 0) = ""

End Sub

0
olisa (2)

Importing messages #6

Import and export

Importing data

Cell reference from a looked up value
Hi, I'm trying to get the cell reference of a value looked up in a table. For example: A table of values are found in A4 to J13 (10x10 table). A4=1, B4=2,A5=11, B5=12 and so on (ie 1 to 10 is in the first row, 11 to 20 is in the 2nd row, Last row is 91 to 100 (found in A13:J13). A1 contains the value I want found B1 contains some formula that gives me the location in the table (absolute). i.e., if 1 is in cell A1, I want B1 to have "A4" if 100 is in cell A1, I want B1 to Have "J13" Is there a function or combination of functions that would allow me to do this? T...

concatenate a 100 cells
concatenate maybe a hundred cells--A1&A2&A3&A4....A100-- WHAT FORMULA CAN I PLUG IN TO concatenate A1 THRU A100?? A1&:A100 THIS DOESN'T WOR -- ROL ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ROLG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1606 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27536 On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 12:44:45 -0600, ROLG <ROLG.1f7mpc@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote: > >concatenate maybe a hundred cells--A1&A2&A3&A4....A100-- > >WHAT FORMULA ...

how do i send an e-newsletter to a specific category?
how do i send an e-newsletter to a specific category? Terry <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > how do i send an e-newsletter to a specific category? Open your Contacts, arrange by category, select the category you want, and click Actions>New Message to Contact. Include your newsletter in the message. -- Brian Tillman I have created a publisher e-newsletter, how do I email to a specific category? "Terry" wrote: > how do i send an e-newsletter to a specific category? Terry <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have created a publishe...

How do i change the height and width of a single cell in Excel?
You change the height of the cell by changing the height of the entire row, and the width of the cell by changing the width of the entire column. The cell cannot be independently resized, because then all the other cells wouldn't fit. You can merge contiguous rectangular ranges together to create super-cells. Depending on your objective, merging cells may have undesired side-effects. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ lotus1107 wrote: ...

excel 97 xml import

PUBLISHER TEXT BOX PROBLEMS
HOW DO I MAKE THE BACKGROUND OF A TEXT BOX BLACK AND THE WRITING WHITE? I CAN ONLY SEEM TO MAKE THE WHOLE PAGE BLACK. Three steps are needed. #1 Replace or fix your keyboard so it isn't stuck on Caps Lock. #2 Select the text frame and then color it black. #3 With the text frame selected, use Ctrl-A to highlight all text and click on the text color icon to choose white. -- Ron "cataloguemaker" <cataloguemaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CCAF0C9F-1FE2-4A76-9431-CCB37FFCFF68@microsoft.com... > HOW DO I MAKE THE BACKGROUND OF A TEXT BOX BLACK AND ...

Importing JEs through the Table Import

Importing Dynamic data

Capturing "text" instead of the formula
I have the following code snippet: Pass = 0 Fail = 0 For i = 9 To (ZeroRow - 3) Step 8 If Cells(i, "H").Value = Pass Then Pass = Pass + 1 Else Fail = Fail + 1 End If Next The cells I'm referring to actually have formulas in them but when you look at the worksheet the cells have either "Pass" or "Fail" in them. That's what I'm trying to capture. But when I run this code it doesn't see "Pass" in any of the cells so all of them in the for loop get assigned to Fail. I've tried putting t...

Formula needed for Sum(A1:C1) then Sum(D1:F1) in next cell
I am converting a monthly revenue table to a quarterly revenue table. I would like to add A1:C1 and put it the result in a new cell and then autofill the cell to the right of it so that it automatically adds D1:F1 for the next value A B C D E F 1 Jan Feb March April May June 2 10 12 12 13 14 15 Qtr1 Qtr 2 Qtr 3 sum A2:C2 Sum D2:F2 Etc... using autofill currently using autofill the first qtr is correct "=Sum(A2:C2) but the next cell gets filled with "=sum(B2:D2) instead of addi...

Importing a CSV file

Make a complete list of words from texts in a range
Hey guys - again :) My challenge today is as follow: Sheet = "TEXT" In column A i have several celles with texts/comments - words/ sentences I want to split all the texts into singel words and make a word-list of all used words of this column A - and copy the words into a new sheet (sheet = "WORDS") column A as my complete word-list. I have no idea of how to do this. After producing this word-list I will remove the doublettes and sort it - this of course I CAN do bmy own "skills". Will anyone please help me? Kindly regards Snoopy On Fri, 27 ...

Import DB from CRM 1.2 to 3.0

importing email

Watermark behind text in the footer?
Hello Excel experts! I'm working on a spreadsheet of about 50 pages in Excel 2003. Ideally, the client would like each page to have a footer with a number 1, 2, 3, etc... in the bottom right hand corner...identifying his content. These are not page numbers he wants, just a simple numbering sequence. I can handle THAT part! LOL What he'd also like is a watermark type of graphic to sit *behind* each number. For example, let's say that he'd like each number super-imposed onto a maple leaf background. I've managed to get the maple leaf background (graphic) to sit on eit...

import pdf table

Cell Colour Change
Hi, I have this code With Sheet1.Range(Runinfo1.ComboBox2.Value) If .Range("b2") <> "" And .Range("b7") = "" And OptionButton2.Value = True Then ..Range("b9").Interior.ColorIndex = 5 End If I'm trying to change the colour of the cell if option2 button is selected (after my command button is pressed) but it doesn't work. I'm assuming it is the ".Range("b9").Interior.ColorIndex = 5" part... Any ideas? Cheers... You may want to look at ths construction of this: I'm not sure about this with sheet1...