import- number- sort?

I imported  this data into a spread sheet-  I tried to format it to number,
but when I sort it- I get :

      37.08
      4.33
      4.79
      4.8
      42.56
      5.94

Whats up with this?

Thanks
Brent

0
sagemaster (106)
4/1/2007 5:21:44 PM
excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Brent,
Install the TrimAll macro,  select the column and invoke
the macro  from  Alt+F8
Directions to install and use a macro at
  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm#havemacro

I expect that you have spaces or CHAR(128)  "Required Blank"
characters in you data you can check is =LEN(A1)
---
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Brent" <sagemaster@mvdsl.com> wrote in message news:eOWY7IIdHHA.284@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> I imported  this data into a spread sheet-  I tried to format it to number,
> but when I sort it- I get :
>
>       37.08
>       4.33
>       4.79
>       4.8
>       42.56
>       5.94

Correction CHAR(160) is the  Required Blank
whereas  CHAR(128) is the Euro symbol.

If you would prefer a non-code approach, you could try and use,
<Edit> <Replace>
*AFTER* first identifying the actual character that is appended to your
data.

With a "bad" number in A1, enter this in B1:

=Code(Right(A1))

This should give you the Char() value of the "space",
Which is probably Char(160), as David mentioned.

Knowing this Char() value, select all the cells containing these "bad"
numbers, then:
<Edit> <Replace>

In the "Find What" window,
Hold down <Alt>, and enter
0160
Using the numbers from the Num keypad, *not* the numbers under the function
keys.
Since this is a <Space>, you won't see anything displayed in the "Find What"
window.
Don't enter anything in the "Replace With" window.
Hit <Replace All>

This should remove those non-breaking spaces and convert your data to XL
recognizable numbers.
--
HTH,

RD

"David McRitchie" <dmcritchie_xlmvp@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Correction CHAR(160) is the  Required Blank
> whereas  CHAR(128) is the Euro symbol.

0
ragdyer1 (4059)
4/1/2007 6:18:33 PM
Yes it worked well-  you hint to use the number pad was the key as the
function key numbers do not work.
Thanks
Brent

"Ragdyer" <RagDyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message
> If you would prefer a non-code approach, you could try and use,
> <Edit> <Replace>
> *AFTER* first identifying the actual character that is appended to your
> data.
>
> With a "bad" number in A1, enter this in B1:
>
> =Code(Right(A1))
>
> This should give you the Char() value of the "space",
> Which is probably Char(160), as David mentioned.
>
> Knowing this Char() value, select all the cells containing these "bad"
> numbers, then:
> <Edit> <Replace>
>
> In the "Find What" window,
> Hold down <Alt>, and enter
> 0160
> Using the numbers from the Num keypad, *not* the numbers under the
> function
> keys.
> Since this is a <Space>, you won't see anything displayed in the "Find
> What"
> window.
> Don't enter anything in the "Replace With" window.
> Hit <Replace All>
>
> This should remove those non-breaking spaces and convert your data to XL
> recognizable numbers.
> --
> HTH,
>
> RD

> "David McRitchie" <dmcritchie_xlmvp@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Correction CHAR(160) is the  Required Blank
>> whereas  CHAR(128) is the Euro symbol.

0
sagemaster (106)
4/2/2007 4:42:15 PM
Thank you for the feed-back.
--
Regards,

RD

> Yes it worked well-  you hint to use the number pad was the key as the
> function key numbers do not work.
> Thanks
> Brent
>
> "Ragdyer" <RagDyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message
>> If you would prefer a non-code approach, you could try and use,
>> <Edit> <Replace>
>> *AFTER* first identifying the actual character that is appended to your
>> data.
>>
>> With a "bad" number in A1, enter this in B1:
>>
>> =Code(Right(A1))
>>
>> This should give you the Char() value of the "space",
>> Which is probably Char(160), as David mentioned.
>>
>> Knowing this Char() value, select all the cells containing these "bad"
>> numbers, then:
>> <Edit> <Replace>
>>
>> In the "Find What" window,
>> Hold down <Alt>, and enter
>> 0160
>> Using the numbers from the Num keypad, *not* the numbers under the
>> function
>> keys.
>> Since this is a <Space>, you won't see anything displayed in the "Find
>> What"
>> window.
>> Don't enter anything in the "Replace With" window.
>> Hit <Replace All>
>>
>> This should remove those non-breaking spaces and convert your data to XL
>> recognizable numbers.
>> --
>> HTH,
>>
>> RD

>> Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit !
>> "David McRitchie" <dmcritchie_xlmvp@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>> Correction CHAR(160) is the  Required Blank
>>> whereas  CHAR(128) is the Euro symbol.

0
ragdyer1 (4059)

Import and export

Importing messages #6

Importing data

excel 97 xml import

Importing JEs through the Table Import

Importing Dynamic data

Importing a CSV file

Activation Number #2
-----Original Message----- From: "Tom Whalen" Sent: 11/1/2003 4:27:05 PM Subject: Activation Number I recently downloaded Money 2004 and installed it with no problems. I've just installed a new hard drive and for some reason I lost the downloaded file. Someone told me that I could re-download the software for up to 5 times. Can someone email me and let me know the address for the download. thanks, Tom Whalen .. ...

Enter a list of numbers
I'm having a bad day. I want for my users to be able to enter a list of numbers. The numbers will be 6 digits, no alphas. But i don't know how many numbers will be entered, from 1 to 20 ish. They are to be stored with the rest of the details on the form. What would be the best way to do this? 1 field on the form if so what sort text or list box with no row source, or a linked subform? What format restrictions can I put on the entry to ensure they only enter numbers? Thanks in advance Dean Dean, If you do not know the amount of numbers to be entered then I would use a linked Ta...

Import DB from CRM 1.2 to 3.0

importing email

Change Sort Order
I have a client who had Great Plains installed back in the days when you had to use binary sort order. Now they would like to change and go to using DOCI. What needs to be done to accomplish this? Has anyone had any experience with this? What about results? There is a very detailed knowledgebase article avaiable in CustomerSource/PartnerSource on making this change. -- Charles Allen, MVP "ladd" wrote: > I have a client who had Great Plains installed back in the days when you had > to use binary sort order. Now they would like to change and go to using DOCI. > Wh...

import pdf table

column corresponding to row number
I have 63 file. My data set on to column X, and G2 is row number related to column X. I need to macro or formula, when run it on any file, copy of column X paste to new file(R.xls) in sheet1 on column H and set to actual row number. For example: G2 is 7800 (row number), now, run macro, then copy of column X, paste to actual row (H 7800) of new file (R.xls), When open second file, (G2 is 5344), column H copy to R.xls and set to I5344. This process is repeated on 63 file. any help will be greatly appreciated ...

Field missing upon XML import

Excel 2003

Check Number at Tender screen?
Do anyone know of a way to put the customer's check number on the reciept at the tender screen? Or an add on that will do that? Thanks -- Steve On the tender type setup select the verification tab. You can select open to select checks not in the database or closed only these checks in the database. under database in Manager the checks option is where you can add account numbers ie check numbers that you wish to accept or not accept with different status codes. Hope this helps. -- Crystal Roach "Steven @ S&S Tire Service" wrote: > Do anyone know of a way to pu...

Large number of transaction log files #2
I've got around 160 E00*.log files kicking around in the mdbdata directory of an Exchange Server 2003 server. I can't seem to find any references about the number of log files. Is there something I should be doing to reduce the number of log files or is the server ok? Cheers! Colin Never mind, I figured it out. The backup process was failing because of a security password reset and thus not consolidating the log files. :) Cheers, Colin "Colin Bowern" <colinbowern@nospam.indimensions.com> wrote in message news:OduryEI8EHA.3124@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I&#...

Import / date questions
Hi I have imported a lot of email (15,000) from Thunderbird > converted from mbox > .eml - dragged the email into Outlook express and then imported into Outlook2003. All has worked fine ish- but a lot of messages have the "received" field set as todays date / time. If I select the "sent" field that is correct. Is there anyway to reset the date on an email message in outlook (ideally on mass) - what is the difference between the Sent field and the received field ? Thanks Hi Just did a check, and the data in outlook express is correct. Its when I did the impor...

importing a cell value
I need to import a cell values from an un-opened .xls using a variable address ie cell A34 = the location of the .xls on our server (j:\121213\Drafting\Quants\) "105 White Ant" = the name of the .xls B3 = the cell I need to import C6 = value(A34+"105 White Ant"+B3) Any help or advice would be hugely appriciated Sorry I should also have specified that I want to avoid the use of macros. "Kristian G" wrote: > I need to import a cell values from an un-opened .xls using a variable address > ie > cell A34 = the location of the .xls on our ...

Excel default number format problem
I have a user with an incorrect default cell format in Excel. His default number of decimal places for a cell with numbers is set to 4 instead of 2. I have no idea how he caused this and I have no idea how to correct it. In case I'm being ambiguous, here is the procedure: Open a new Excel workbook, choose any cell and go to Format. In the Format Cell dialog box go to the Number tab and choose the Number category. The Decimal Places box will be set to 2 by default but in this user's Excel it is set to 4. How do I get it back to the default of 2? http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick...