Import external data-text files but placed in the next column rather than next empty row

I want to import text files in to one worksheet. The text files are sent
daily and all the same format. However the text file names change buy an
incremental number.

Is it possible to create a macro that imports these text files,
ignoring their exact filename but from the same source directory into
one worksheet. Can you use wild cards for the name e.g. "********.txt"?

At the moment I can manually do this, by selecting the cell below the
last record then using  the process "Get external Data" and following
the wizard which works fine.

As soon as I try to create a macro to automate the above simple
procedure, the import of the text file is inserted at the next empty
column rather than the next empty row.

Can this be resolved

Thanks in advanced

Martin

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Transferring Data With XML?
I'm new at this. What would be the best way to transfer data in XML format from sql server A to remote sql server B? We would like to encrypt the data with ssl which we already have installed on our iis server. -- .. http://sf-f.org, weblog and search engine for fans and writers of speculative fiction. .. ...

Help: Not resolved external Symbol
Platform: Visual Studio .NET 2003 I read the MSDN and try using the Video for Windows. I have include the file <VfW.h>. Icalled the function capCreateCaptureWindow but failed. I call the function like this: // ---------------------------------------------- HWND GetWindow(int x, int y, int nWidth, int nHeight, HWND ParentHWND) { HWND WindowHdl; WindowHdl = capCreateCaptureWindow( "Capture Window", WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE | WS_EX_LEFT | WS_VISIBLE | WS_EX_MDICHILD, // Window Style. Defined in Help Topic: "CreateWindowEx Function" x, y, nWidth, nHeight, Paren...

Importing data

Importing messages #6

Q: columns to rows
Hello, Sheet1 has column based data such as there are values in A1,B1,C1,.. Now I need to create Steet2 that holds row based data such as A1->A1,B1->A2,C1->A3 and change the background color of A1,A2,A3, if the data in A1,B1,C1 in Sheet1 is zero. How can I do this? Thanks, Jim, Select A1:Z1 and copy it, then select cell A1 on the second sheet. Us paste special (check the transpose box). That flips your data fro horizontal to vertical so it's in rows. To format the cells, go to Format: Conditional formatting. If the cel value is "equal to" then specify "0&...

Import and export

transfer data in excel between sheets
What I am looking to do is get a function button (or similar) on sheet 1 that can recognise the data put in a column and upon a click of a button transfer data held in a certain cell elsewhere and the date onto sheet 2. If this is not possible, what the whole purpose I am trying to do is on sheet one have a=50 fields per day, where 3 figures are entered per line, 50 lines (ie 150 pieces of data per day) which calculates the average of the 3 numbers per row, and then the average of all these numbers appears in a seperate field on the spreadsheet (this I have already achieved.) Then this...

Opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel
Is there a convertion filter for opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel. I can convert *.wk? files, but I am unable to open *.123 (Lotus 1-2-3 Release 9 for Windows) files "Jim Warren" <Jim Warren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote... >Is there a convertion filter for opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel. >I can convert *.wk? files, but I am unable to open *.123 (Lotus 1-2-3 >Release 9 for Windows) files The .wk? file formats predated Microsoft securing +90% market share, so way back then they had to compete in terms of interoperability. The .123 file format came after Mi...

Load Data Under Column Headings
My data are stock prices that I want to use with Metastock. I have as column headers: Date, Stock Name, Open, High, Low, Close, Stock Code. How do I load stock data with their fields under the respective column headings, perhaps, by just clicking on the file name, without using cut & paste. How do I protect the heading row from being overwritten? ...

excel 97 xml import

protect borders on a data entry cell
I have an Excell 2007 spreadsheet with borders around selected cells, the spreadsheet is protected so my formulas cant get corrupted, but with some cells that are unlocked for user data entry. But when you copy and paste in these user entry cells the borders are getting copied and pasted also destroying the look of the spreadsheet. so how do you protect the borders from being changed and still allow copy and paste in the user entry cells? Thanks in advance Terry You could politely ask users to copy>paste VALUES -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin....

Automatically outline all email addresses in a given text by putting them in red-bold
Hi, I often treat raw texts and need to quickly visialize the paragraph containg email addresses. It takes me a great deal of working time t manually click red-bold on each email address I see in a text and it i not rare that I omit some addresses. Is there a simple function (like replace all *@* with *@* red-bold) i Excel or Word that I can use to automatize the process? Thanx in advanc -- frenchbo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- frenchbox's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2927 View this thread: http://w...

New Money File Error on Windows XP
I'm using the MS Money 2002 on Windows XP Pro (I've upgraded XP from Windows 2000). But when I starting new file, Money 2002 is crashed. Working with previous files are good, but new file working is failed always. Is it error on Windows XP? Have you tried re-installing M2002? -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money Hints/Tips http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny UK Wishes/Suggestions mnyukwsh@microsoft.com "Kim Heui Jung" <neospix@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ORcUKtP0DHA.2412@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I'm using...

How do I get column headings printed on every page but one?
I am printing a report that has footnotes on it. I do want my column headings to appear on every page but not to appear on the last page with the footnotes because there really aren't any columns on hte last page that apply to the column headers hi, if you have header, they will appear on every sheet in your print area. i might suggest that you not include your footnotes in reports print area. move the footnotes to a different sheet and print seperately. >-----Original Message----- >I am printing a report that has footnotes on it. I do want my column >headings to appea...

Concurrent access to private data
Hi, maybe it's a simple problem for most of you, but I can't find an easy way to quite simple problem, let me describe: Let's have this code: public ClassToChange() { ... //some other methods internal List<AnyDataClass> LockAndGetData() { Monitor.Enter(cs); return data; } internal Unlock() { Monitor.Exit(cs); } private object cs = new object(); private List<AnyDataClass> data = new List<AnyDataClass>(); } public class Editor { public Editor(ClassToChange editedObject) { this.editedObject = editedObject; } ...

Importing JEs through the Table Import

PUBLISHER TEXT BOX PROBLEMS
HOW DO I MAKE THE BACKGROUND OF A TEXT BOX BLACK AND THE WRITING WHITE? I CAN ONLY SEEM TO MAKE THE WHOLE PAGE BLACK. Three steps are needed. #1 Replace or fix your keyboard so it isn't stuck on Caps Lock. #2 Select the text frame and then color it black. #3 With the text frame selected, use Ctrl-A to highlight all text and click on the text color icon to choose white. -- Ron "cataloguemaker" <cataloguemaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CCAF0C9F-1FE2-4A76-9431-CCB37FFCFF68@microsoft.com... > HOW DO I MAKE THE BACKGROUND OF A TEXT BOX BLACK AND ...

Flipping order of data in a column
I need to flip the order of data in a column. For example: Is: 22 10 23 Need: 23 10 22 How can I do this? I need only flip the data in a column, these cell are not a part of rows of data thus no ther data must flip with thes numbers. Obviously the data I am changing is more than 3 cells long (- -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi one way (using a helper column - if this is a one-time operation). If your data is in column A enter the following: B1: 1 B2: 2 - select B1:B2 and drag the selection down. This will populate column B with ascending numbers - Sort column A+B wit...

Capturing "text" instead of the formula
I have the following code snippet: Pass = 0 Fail = 0 For i = 9 To (ZeroRow - 3) Step 8 If Cells(i, "H").Value = Pass Then Pass = Pass + 1 Else Fail = Fail + 1 End If Next The cells I'm referring to actually have formulas in them but when you look at the worksheet the cells have either "Pass" or "Fail" in them. That's what I'm trying to capture. But when I run this code it doesn't see "Pass" in any of the cells so all of them in the for loop get assigned to Fail. I've tried putting t...

Importing Dynamic data

Reverse chart column and row order
I'm running Office 2007 and all my charts are showing up in reverse order: I want a bar graph that looks like this: Series 1 -------------------------------->Column 1 Series 1 ------------------------->Column 2 Series 1 ------------------------------------->Column 3 Series 2 -------------------------------------->Column 1 Series 2------------------>Column 2 Series 2-------------------------->Column 3 What I'm getting is: Series 2-------------------------->Column 3 Series 2------------------>Column 2 Series 2---------------------->Column 1 D3M ----------...

recover damaged excel file
I have a workbook creater with Excel 2000 just a few days ago but there's no way to open it. Coud anyone give me any suggestion? Hi, what message do you get?, ask your IT department usually they backup all the files, did you send the file to somebody? "Nora_Italy" wrote: > I have a workbook creater with Excel 2000 just a few days ago but there's no > way to open it. Coud anyone give me any suggestion? Thank you Eduardo. I don't get any error message, the file just doesn't open. Unfortunatately we backup files only once a month and I created...

Formula needed for Sum(A1:C1) then Sum(D1:F1) in next cell
I am converting a monthly revenue table to a quarterly revenue table. I would like to add A1:C1 and put it the result in a new cell and then autofill the cell to the right of it so that it automatically adds D1:F1 for the next value A B C D E F 1 Jan Feb March April May June 2 10 12 12 13 14 15 Qtr1 Qtr 2 Qtr 3 sum A2:C2 Sum D2:F2 Etc... using autofill currently using autofill the first qtr is correct "=Sum(A2:C2) but the next cell gets filled with "=sum(B2:D2) instead of addi...