Import directory data into Excel 2003

I have over 1000 media files that I would like to extract information
from and put into an Excel spreadsheet.

Using Explorer, I have defined the fields I would like to see, such as
title, duration, comment etc. Now, I need to import this data into
Excel.

So far, I've not been able to find a way to do this. Can someone offer
some suggestions please?

Thanks,
Nigel

--
www.myoldcontacts.com - Tell your friends to tell their friends
www.sysadmininc.com  - Consultancy, Service, Sales, Networking...

"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" --Adam Savage.
0
see744 (3)
1/30/2005 10:52:43 PM
excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

John Walkenbach is busily copying his cds to mp3s and just posted a quick
and easy routine that puts everything in pivot tables. his code is available
on his blog a couple of days ago at www.j-walkblog.com. You would have to
tweak the code a bit to adjust for whatever file structure you are using.

Robin Hammond
www.enhanceddatasystems.com

"Nigel Reed" <see@www.nelgin.nu-slash-qconfirm.html> wrote in message
>I have over 1000 media files that I would like to extract information
> from and put into an Excel spreadsheet.
>
> Using Explorer, I have defined the fields I would like to see, such as
> title, duration, comment etc. Now, I need to import this data into
> Excel.
>
> So far, I've not been able to find a way to do this. Can someone offer
> some suggestions please?
>
> Thanks,
> Nigel
>
> --
> www.myoldcontacts.com - Tell your friends to tell their friends
> www.sysadmininc.com  - Consultancy, Service, Sales, Networking...
> www.british-expats.com - Connect with British Expats World Wide
> www.kxez.com/shows_britishinvasion.php - 9-11pm Sunday. KXEZ 92.1 FM
>

> "I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" --Adam Savage.

0
rjNOrhSPAM (52)
1/31/2005 3:18:57 AM
Nigel

Several methods to accomplish this ike Tushar's best.

To add a "Print Directory" feature to Explorer, go to
this KB Article.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q272623&

Or you can download Printfolder 1.2 from.....

http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/

I use PF 1.2 and find it to be more than adequate with custom features.

OR  Go to DOS(Command) prompt and directory.
Type      DIR >MYFILES.TXT

All the above create a *.TXT file which can be opened in Excel.

One more method if you want to by-pass the *.TXT file and pull directly to
Excel is to use Tushar Mehta's Excel Add-in.  This allows filtering and
sorting once you have the data in Excel.

http://www.tushar-mehta.com/  scroll down to Add-ins>Directory Listing.

Download the ZIP file and un-zip to your Office\Library folder.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:52:43 -0600, Nigel Reed
<see@www.nelgin.nu-slash-qconfirm.html> wrote:

>I have over 1000 media files that I would like to extract information
>from and put into an Excel spreadsheet.
>
>Using Explorer, I have defined the fields I would like to see, such as
>title, duration, comment etc. Now, I need to import this data into
>Excel.
>
>So far, I've not been able to find a way to do this. Can someone offer
>some suggestions please?
>
>Thanks,
>Nigel

0
Gord
1/31/2005 5:07:05 AM
Robin Hammond <rjNOrhSPAM@pleasenetvigator.com> wrote:
> John Walkenbach is busily copying his cds to mp3s and just posted a quick
> and easy routine that puts everything in pivot tables. his code is available
> on his blog a couple of days ago at www.j-walkblog.com. You would have to
> tweak the code a bit to adjust for whatever file structure you are using.

Well spotted. Thanks. I'll take a look.

Regards
Nigel
--
www.myoldcontacts.com - Tell your friends to tell their friends
www.sysadmininc.com  - Consultancy, Service, Sales, Networking...
www.british-expats.com - Connect with British Expats World Wide
www.kxez.com/shows_britishinvasion.php - 9-11pm Sunday. KXEZ 92.1 FM

"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" --Adam Savage.
0
see744 (3)
1/31/2005 7:30:27 AM
Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:
> Nigel
>
> Several methods to accomplish this ike Tushar's best.
>
> To add a "Print Directory" feature to Explorer, go to
> this KB Article.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q272623&

This isn't going to do the job since it doesn't give you any details
about the file such as bit rate, duration etc.

> OR  Go to DOS(Command) prompt and directory.
> Type      DIR >MYFILES.TXT

Likewise.

> http://www.tushar-mehta.com/  scroll down to Add-ins>Directory Listing.

Likewise. Therefore I'm going to assume the freeware you suggested won't
do that either. I'll look at the other solution that was given and see
if that'll do the trick. Thanks anyway.

Regards
Nigel

--
www.myoldcontacts.com - Tell your friends to tell their friends
www.sysadmininc.com  - Consultancy, Service, Sales, Networking...
www.british-expats.com - Connect with British Expats World Wide
www.kxez.com/shows_britishinvasion.php - 9-11pm Sunday. KXEZ 92.1 FM

"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" --Adam Savage.
0
see744 (3)
1/31/2005 7:48:27 AM
Here is one I created that assumes that ALL files are in exactly this format

artist name - song title.mp3

Sub FindFiles()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
'sets Erase or Append option
lastrow = Range("a65536").End(xlUp).Row
If lastrow = 4 Then lastrow = 5 Else lastrow = lastrow
If UCase([a3]) = "E" Then
Range("a5:f" & lastrow).ClearContents
lastrow = 4
ElseIf UCase([a3]) = "A" Then lastrow = lastrow
End If
'===
'Sets Musicpath
If Right([a1], 1) <> "\" And Left([a1], 1) <> "_" Then x = "\"
If IsEmpty([a2]) = False And Right([a2], 1) <> "\" Then y = "\"
musicpath = [a1] & x & [a2] & y
'Finds Files
With Application.FileSearch
    .NewSearch
    .LookIn = musicpath
    .SearchSubFolders = True 'False
    .MatchTextExactly = False
    .Filename = ".mp3" '*.mp3* did not work in 97
    If .Execute(msoSortOrderDescending) > 0 Then
'MsgBox "There were " & .FoundFiles.Count & " file(s) found."
      For i = 1 To .FoundFiles.Count
 'MsgBox Mid(.FoundFiles(i), Len(musicpath) + 1, 2)
 If Mid(.FoundFiles(i), Len(musicpath) + 1, 2) <> "__" Then 'added for
__INCOMPLETE

 x = Application.Find("\", StrReverse(.FoundFiles(i))) - 2 'must have
function before xl2000
 y = Application.Find("-", StrReverse(.FoundFiles(i))) - 1

 Cells(i + lastrow, 1).Value = Mid(.FoundFiles(i), Len(.FoundFiles(i)) - x,
x - y)
 x = Application.Find("-", .FoundFiles(i)) + 1
 Cells(i + lastrow, 2).Value = Mid(.FoundFiles(i), x, Len(.FoundFiles(i)) -
x - 3)
 Cells(i + lastrow, 3).Value = FileLen(.FoundFiles(i))
 Cells(i + lastrow, 4).Value = FileDateTime(.FoundFiles(i))
 Cells(i + lastrow, 5).Value = .FoundFiles(i) 'Path to play
 End If 'added
      Next i

    Else
        MsgBox "There were no files found."
    End If
End With

Range("a5:g" & Range("a65536").End(xlUp).Row) _
..Sort Key1:=Cells(1, 1), Order1:=xlAscending, Key2:=Cells(1, 2),
Order2:=xlAscending, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom
[a5].Select
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub
========
I then have a double_click event where I can play by double clicking on any
column.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"Nigel Reed" <see@www.nelgin.nu-slash-qconfirm.html> wrote in message
> I have over 1000 media files that I would like to extract information
> from and put into an Excel spreadsheet.
>
> Using Explorer, I have defined the fields I would like to see, such as
> title, duration, comment etc. Now, I need to import this data into
> Excel.
>
> So far, I've not been able to find a way to do this. Can someone offer
> some suggestions please?
>
> Thanks,
> Nigel
>
> --
> www.myoldcontacts.com - Tell your friends to tell their friends
> www.sysadmininc.com  - Consultancy, Service, Sales, Networking...
> www.british-expats.com - Connect with British Expats World Wide
> www.kxez.com/shows_britishinvasion.php - 9-11pm Sunday. KXEZ 92.1 FM
>

> "I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" --Adam Savage.

0
Don
1/31/2005 1:36:56 PM
Nigel,

While on the subject of scanning MP3s, here's a natty little one I knocked
up a couple of years ago that will read the ID3 tag info from an MP3 file
that you might find useful. Quite often, you'll find that the tag has better
info than the file name.

Sub Test()
Dim strSong As String
Dim strArtist As String
Dim strPath As String

strPath = "C:\Sounds Sort\Norah Jones - Come September.mp3"
GetID3TagInfo strPath, strSong, strArtist
Cells(1, 1).Value = strArtist
Cells(1, 2).Value = strSong
End Sub

Sub GetID3TagInfo(strPath As String, ByRef strSong As String, _
    ByRef strArtist As String)
'assumes strPath contains a valid path to an mp3 that is not zero length
Dim hFILE As Integer
Dim strData As String * 128

hFILE = FreeFile
Open strPath For Binary Access Read Write As hFILE
Get hFILE, LOF(hFILE) - 127, strData
Close hFILE

If Left(strData, 3) <> "TAG" Then
    strArtist = ""
    strSong = ""
Else
    strSong = Mid(strData, 4, 30)
    Do While Right(strSong, 1) = " " Or Right(strSong, 1) = Chr(0)
        strSong = Left(strSong, Len(strSong) - 1)
    Loop
    strArtist = Mid(strData, 34, 30)
    Do While Right(strArtist, 1) = " " Or Right(strArtist, 1) = Chr(0)
        strArtist = Left(strArtist, Len(strArtist) - 1)
    Loop
End If
End Sub

> Robin Hammond <rjNOrhSPAM@pleasenetvigator.com> wrote:
>> John Walkenbach is busily copying his cds to mp3s and just posted a quick
>> and easy routine that puts everything in pivot tables. his code is
>> available
>> on his blog a couple of days ago at www.j-walkblog.com. You would have to
>> tweak the code a bit to adjust for whatever file structure you are using.
>
> Well spotted. Thanks. I'll take a look.
>
> Regards
> Nigel
> --
> www.myoldcontacts.com - Tell your friends to tell their friends
> www.sysadmininc.com  - Consultancy, Service, Sales, Networking...
> www.british-expats.com - Connect with British Expats World Wide
> www.kxez.com/shows_britishinvasion.php - 9-11pm Sunday. KXEZ 92.1 FM
>

> "I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" --Adam Savage.

0
rjNOrhSPAM (52)

Transferring Data With XML?
I'm new at this. What would be the best way to transfer data in XML format from sql server A to remote sql server B? We would like to encrypt the data with ssl which we already have installed on our iis server. -- .. http://sf-f.org, weblog and search engine for fans and writers of speculative fiction. .. ...

Importing data

Importing messages #6

Import and export

transfer data in excel between sheets
What I am looking to do is get a function button (or similar) on sheet 1 that can recognise the data put in a column and upon a click of a button transfer data held in a certain cell elsewhere and the date onto sheet 2. If this is not possible, what the whole purpose I am trying to do is on sheet one have a=50 fields per day, where 3 figures are entered per line, 50 lines (ie 150 pieces of data per day) which calculates the average of the 3 numbers per row, and then the average of all these numbers appears in a seperate field on the spreadsheet (this I have already achieved.) Then this...

ofice 2003
I have an error 1335 I am installing office 2003 the file is courupt: A2561405CAB any solutions ...

Run excel when logged off.
Is it possible to run excel when I'm logged of the computer? I have a excel document that launches a bunch of macros. I would like to have task scheduler run it at night without me being logged in. Is that possible? Thanks, Jasper What happens when you try? Of course if you try accessing "mapped drives", you will have to fix that issue too. Jaz wrote: > Is it possible to run excel when I'm logged of the computer? > > I have a excel document that launches a bunch of macros. I would like to > have task scheduler run it at night without me being logged in...

Can I export from Excel to ACT
I have a huge contact list on an Excel spreadsheet and I was hoping I would be able to export it straight into my Act contact manager. Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Parm, Look at the ways Excel can save, and compare with what ACT can take as input. In Excel, do File - Save as, and go through the formats shown in the "Save as type" box. See which, if any, Act can open or import. The csv would seem a likely one. Or txt. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Parm" <Parm@discuss...

How do i change the height and width of a single cell in Excel?
You change the height of the cell by changing the height of the entire row, and the width of the cell by changing the width of the entire column. The cell cannot be independently resized, because then all the other cells wouldn't fit. You can merge contiguous rectangular ranges together to create super-cells. Depending on your objective, merging cells may have undesired side-effects. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ lotus1107 wrote: ...

Opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel
Is there a convertion filter for opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel. I can convert *.wk? files, but I am unable to open *.123 (Lotus 1-2-3 Release 9 for Windows) files "Jim Warren" <Jim Warren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote... >Is there a convertion filter for opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel. >I can convert *.wk? files, but I am unable to open *.123 (Lotus 1-2-3 >Release 9 for Windows) files The .wk? file formats predated Microsoft securing +90% market share, so way back then they had to compete in terms of interoperability. The .123 file format came after Mi...

Load Data Under Column Headings
My data are stock prices that I want to use with Metastock. I have as column headers: Date, Stock Name, Open, High, Low, Close, Stock Code. How do I load stock data with their fields under the respective column headings, perhaps, by just clicking on the file name, without using cut & paste. How do I protect the heading row from being overwritten? ...

excel 97 xml import

protect borders on a data entry cell
I have an Excell 2007 spreadsheet with borders around selected cells, the spreadsheet is protected so my formulas cant get corrupted, but with some cells that are unlocked for user data entry. But when you copy and paste in these user entry cells the borders are getting copied and pasted also destroying the look of the spreadsheet. so how do you protect the borders from being changed and still allow copy and paste in the user entry cells? Thanks in advance Terry You could politely ask users to copy>paste VALUES -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin....

syncing excel 2007...
hi all community members... I have excel 2007 and sync all my office 2007 files to a online backup. unfortunately for excel this is not done I have to restart my computer (windows ultimate) for it to be synced (the company is ‘humyo’ which I think is one of the best...) I phoned them up and was told I must have ‘some sort of lock’ on these workbooks. I have been through the settings and thought it was privacy/personal information but am lost. can someone please help and I look forward to a reply. very much appreciated. Paul. I can't think of anyth...

Concurrent access to private data
Hi, maybe it's a simple problem for most of you, but I can't find an easy way to quite simple problem, let me describe: Let's have this code: public ClassToChange() { ... //some other methods internal List<AnyDataClass> LockAndGetData() { Monitor.Enter(cs); return data; } internal Unlock() { Monitor.Exit(cs); } private object cs = new object(); private List<AnyDataClass> data = new List<AnyDataClass>(); } public class Editor { public Editor(ClassToChange editedObject) { this.editedObject = editedObject; } ...

how do I type over a pic on excel
Unless you put the picture in the Background (Format/Sheet/Background), in which case it will be tiled throughout the entire sheet, you can't directly type over a picture because pictures "live" in the Drawing layer above the cells. You can make the picture transparent (Format/Picture) to see text in the cells beneath. You can also use the Camera Tool to create a linked picture of a cell and position it on top of the other picture. Set the Fill to No fill, and the border to No Line. What I do is to put a text box over the picture and format it with n lines and no fill...

Importing JEs through the Table Import

Excel power toy for media playlist...
Awhile back there was a power toy that would convert a media play list so that it could be opened in Excel. Anyone got a copy or know where I could download a copy? Thanks. Frank Frank wrote: > Awhile back there was a power toy that would convert a media play list > so that it could be opened in Excel. > Anyone got a copy or know where I could download a copy? > Thanks. > Frank Never mind, I found it...the bonus pack! Frank ...

Excel graphs should allow copy & paste of individual bar formats
In excel graphs - bar charts, I make the last bar a hashed shading as it is a forcast. To do this I select only the last bar and change its formating. At the end of the month I want to change the format back to the same as all the other bars and make the new coming month's predicted value that hashed shading etc. Unfortunately excel will not allow copy and paste in this situation - so I have do open the format tab etc and then change. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggest...

recover damaged excel file
I have a workbook creater with Excel 2000 just a few days ago but there's no way to open it. Coud anyone give me any suggestion? Hi, what message do you get?, ask your IT department usually they backup all the files, did you send the file to somebody? "Nora_Italy" wrote: > I have a workbook creater with Excel 2000 just a few days ago but there's no > way to open it. Coud anyone give me any suggestion? Thank you Eduardo. I don't get any error message, the file just doesn't open. Unfortunatately we backup files only once a month and I created...

Importing Dynamic data

Flipping order of data in a column
I need to flip the order of data in a column. For example: Is: 22 10 23 Need: 23 10 22 How can I do this? I need only flip the data in a column, these cell are not a part of rows of data thus no ther data must flip with thes numbers. Obviously the data I am changing is more than 3 cells long (- -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi one way (using a helper column - if this is a one-time operation). If your data is in column A enter the following: B1: 1 B2: 2 - select B1:B2 and drag the selection down. This will populate column B with ascending numbers - Sort column A+B wit...

Importing a CSV file