Hyperlinking to documents in Excel

I have extracted a tab delimited .txt list of all the documents on ou
server at work.  I would like to import this list into an Exce
Spreadsheet (easy enough) and then hyperlink back to the documents o
the server.  Is there a way to hyperlink automatically?  I have severa
thousand documents and hyperlinking one at a time is not ver
realistic.  I have the option of pulling the list with either th
relative path (just the document name and extension) or with th
absolute file path (give the complete path of every document).  I
anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.  Thank you.

Dale Co

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

DJCox

The =hyperlink() function will allow this.
Create a column that contains the full path and file name and us
something like =HYPERLINK(A2,A2). or =HYPERLINK(A2&B2,A2&B2) where th
path and file name are in separate columns.

Note the file name and path need to be separated by a '\' if ther
isnot one already appended to the path

Thank you so much for your help. It worked and you saved me a LOT o
time.  Thanks again

Excel won't open #3
About a month ago, I was using Excel, and closed the program in the normal manner and everything was fine. I tried to open the program about an hour later (not sure how - probably by clicking on a spreadsheet, rather than opening the program first), but it froze the computer. It rebooted easily when I Ctl-Alt-Deleted. Every time I tried to open Excel from then on, no matter whether I went through the Office Taskbar, the Start Menu, the Desktop shortcut or clicking on a spreadsheet, the computer froze. I checked the computer for viruses - none detected. I scanned the hard drive - no problems ...

Bizarre Excel "Read Only" error
Help have a weird Excel / networking issue that I need a hand with. The Network: 1 x G5 iMac 10.3.8, running Office 2004 with latest patches sharing the contents of its "documents" folder. Connected via AirPort to an Airport Extreme base station. 1 x G4 iMac 10.2.8 and Office 2004 with latest patches connected via Ethernet to the Airport Extreme base station. 2 x G4 iBooks (both 10.3.8 and Office 2004 with latest patches) connected via AirPort to the AirPort Extreme base station. The G4 iMac and the iBooks connect to the G5 as the owner so permissions should not be an issue. ...

How do I create an Excel worksheet with a limited no. of rows?
I need to create a small worksheet in Excel 2002 with say 20 rows & 20 columns. Is this possible? yes -- Gary''s Student "WarTech" wrote: > I need to create a small worksheet in Excel 2002 with say 20 rows & 20 columns. > Is this possible? OK - what I should have said was: How? "Gary''s Student" wrote: > yes > -- > Gary''s Student > > > "WarTech" wrote: > > > I need to create a small worksheet in Excel 2002 with say 20 rows & 20 columns. > > Is this possible? Hi The sheet will...

entering emails without hyperlink creation
I want to enter email addresses in an Excel column without creating hyperlinks. I know how to turn them off in Word, but cannot find the same option in Excel Hi depending on your Excel version under 'Tools - autocorrection' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "psgny" <psgny@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:117C446E-B548-4993-B6DC-5EFC69DF49BF@microsoft.com... > I want to enter email addresses in an Excel column without creating > hyperlinks. I know how to turn them off in Word, but cannot find the same > option in Excel I have...

Template & linked Excel database question
Okay - I got my template set up & linked to an Excel worksheet for a database. I open the template and start entering info - the first field is the client's name & has a macro that saves the file as "Name.xls" when moving out of this cell. I go on to complete the initial data entries, then save & close...but I don't get the prompt to save as a new entry to the database file UNLESS I then re-open the same file and close it again. Why don't I get the prompt the FIRST time I save & close???? tm ...

Pictures & Excel
Hi all, Is Excel designed to allow pictures to be 'data' for example a picture as a cell linked to each row of information? If I wanted to catalogue a collection with the colums being bits of data -- could I include pictures? Thanks! Ibbi Ibbi, If you want to dynamically change pictures, you need to use the worksheet change event. I have an example workbook that I can send to you if you send me your email address. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "Ibbi" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:078301c3a374$0ce1bc00$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Hi all, >...

Creating report for Excel data?
I am new to automating Excel in any way. Is it possible to create a report based on a spreadsheet? This spreadsheet contains customer account information and we want to send statements for a range of accounts. I would need to get the range of account numbers from the user in an input box or something and then grab the applicable cells for each of those accounts. The report would be one account to a page and list the customer name and account balances. Would be a snap in Access but is this reasonable to attempt in Excel? Can anyone offer some guidance or web sites that may be of use?...

Word 2007 with Excel linked objects
I have linked objects from Excel in Word 2007 (they are .doc and .xps but converting them to .docx and .xpsx did not fix the problem and required relinking so I didn't pursue it further). The problem is that in preview I see the double underlines on my Excel object but when it prints the underlines sometimes look like a single line or a single line bolded. The appearance is inconsistent across various linked objects from the same Excel workbook (even worksheet). On the Excel side I've tried cell border, text underlines (both double and double accounting) and on the Word s...

Printing selected pages from a downloaded document
I downloaded a 155pg document.. I have tried to selective print certain page ranges within the document, i.e. pg 44-61. It will only print the entire document. Is there a setting or something I should check that may be embedded within the document? See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/printmultiplesections.htm. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "PW" <PW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DD475DE-2F68-4EFC-A4D8-F08ED44CC85B@microsoft.com... >I downloaded a 155pg document.. I have tried to selective print certain >page > range...

grpwise 5.5 client and excel
when people opne up a excel attachment within grpwise (novell) they work on the file and save it in temp folder but it's not there. could opening it within grpwise be the cause? thanks THAN -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com THAN -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Looping through Query to create multiple sheets in excel- Just need the loop
I figured out where I should start the loop in order to keep the excel work open and still be able to add more sheets, but I can't figure out how to add code to For Next loop to go through a query "qryManufacturer" and take each one and put them into the string (strManuf) I always get to this point and I can't figure out how to loop through a recordset. I have put the string in the query at the bottom. Public Sub CopyRs2SheetHacked(strSql As String, strWorkBook As String, _ Optional strWorkSheet As String, Optional strRange As String) 'Uses the Excel...

How do I open my excel workbook?
I have an excel workbook I use for important bank information. I last used it yesterday. It is password-protected and I have had no previous problems. Today, when I tried to open it I received a message: cannot read file! I can't open my workbook and it will be costly to recreate the information. Does anyone have a suggestion for opening my file? -- ajojoel Are you trying to open from a floppy or CD? Copy it to your hard drive first. Did you perhaps open it in Word and save? Word would have saved it Word format. If that's the case, open it in Word and try to copy whate...

How do you find information in excel on dot plot (DPlot)?
Going crazy looking for dot plot in excel. The professor sent us an excel file disc and i cannot find any information in excel on dot plot or dplot. Help Please. And Thank You. Perhaps your prof is talking about the Dplot Excel add-in A simple Google search with the word "Dplot" would have taken you to http://www.dplot.com/index.htm best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Bearcatsfords" <Bearcatsfords@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:96342BA5-7283-4275-8781-445D05B1C9E8@microsof...

Excel VBA: taking unique values and putting into one column
I am using Excel 2002, and I want to use a macro to take one column o data that may have duplicate entries and put them all into anothe column -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com why is my post the only one not being replied to :( I need help on thi asap -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Have a look at Chip Pearsons site for a starting point: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#TaggingDuplicate s >-----Original Message----- >I am using Excel 2002, and I want to use a macro to take one column of >data that may have duplicate entries and pu...

open & repair corrupted document
When I open a word 2003 document in 2007 word a window opens. States a table has been corrupted and refers to a down arrow next to "open" to find repair. As a new user of 2007 Office the only "open" command I can find is in the Office Button and no down arrow appears. Can anyone offer help? What you need to do is use the keyboard command Ctrl-O. This will give you the same window you were accustomed to seeing in 2003. The down arrow can be found there. I hope this helps. "John H." wrote: > When I open a word 2003 document in 2007 word...

Simple excel macro help
I have recorded a simple macro for data entry that moves to the right several cells, entering info in each and then returning to the starting column. I need to know how to provide for user input at each cell stop across and then when it returns to the starting column to have it loop until data is finished Can anyone provide a simple answer to this? It used to be easy to do this in Lotus way back but I have not done it for a while. Thanks Fred As usual you should post your efforts (not a workbook attachment) for comments and suggestions. You do not have to physically move to each cell to e...

Excel And Stored Procedures
Can Excel execute stored procedures? I have DB2 Connect ODBC that I am using to try to get to DB2 mainframe tables. I can not use SQL from within Excel for this particular need; I need to execute a stored procedure. >-----Original Message----- >Can Excel execute stored procedures? I have DB2 Connect ODBC that I am using to try to get to DB2 mainframe tables. I can not use SQL from within Excel for this particular need; I need to execute a stored procedure. >. > You can create a macro. You might be able to record a lot of what you need. Tools, Macros, Record New Macro. ...

Excel 2000 #38
Hi - I use Excel 2000 and wish to display negative number, accounting and currency values in parentheses. However in the Format Cell function in Excel there is no option to use parentheses. The only option is to use the -ve symbol or to display the value in red. How do I display the value in parentheses. -- Mike from Australia Hi Mike Try Format>Cells>Number>Custom $#,##0.00;[Red]($#,##0.00) Regards Roger Govier Mike wrote: > Hi - I use Excel 2000 and wish to display negative number, accounting and > currency values in parentheses. However in the Format Cell functio...

source data editor in Excel 2007 dont seem to allow copy and past.
The new source data editor dont allow copy and paste of other series data followed by a manual edit to get the correct range of cells. The new editor also dont diplay a preview of the chart. Is there another way to accomplish these atsks in Excel 2007? There's no preview because things are changed on the live chart as you make changes. It's awkward as all get out, but you can in fact copy and paste. You need to select an existing series, click the Edit button, the select and copy the reference in one of the edit boxes. Then clear the small dialog, click add, and paste into the...

Will WSUS eventually push down the kb943075 hotfix for Excel?
If I have to, I'll apply this hotfix through some sort of AD script, but ideally, WSUS should handle it. Has MS offered anything on whether or not WSUS will be able to push down this patch? Thanks! Mark you may want to ask this in a server-group ;) ...

Excel
Excel in office 2003 When printing charts that are horizontal we would like to continue our paging scheme but on a vertical mode. The only way to print a page number in excel is in a header or footer. But within the header, how can the number be turned? I had the same question. However, I was not able to figure out any way to do it. So, I just tested the following VBA code to add a WordArt shape to all charts. It rotates the text 90 degrees and places it in the lower left corner. Since it names the shape it is easy to get back to it if need to renumber the pages. I just delete it ...

Excel price history import...
Hello, I have Money 2004 Deluxe and an excel file with a mutual fund price history. Is there a way to import the price history straight from the excel file avoiding manual imput??? (online update doesn't work because the mutual fund I'm dealing with is not available) Thanks, Lionel Modi ...

How can I combine multiple cells in Excel?
I am trying to combine column A(last name) and column B(first name). I have tried to use Excel help, but am not getting any results. Please explain how I can do this. Thank you. Hi in an adjacent column =B1 & " " & A1 or =CONCATENATE(B1," ",A1) or reverse the A1/B1 depending on how you want the combined name displayed. You can then copy this formula down the list of names and select the column copy it and then edit / paste special - values to change the column from being a formula into the actual names for use later on. Cheers JulieD "jallbright24...

excel will not open in right worksheet
When I open one of my workbooks with multiple spreadsheets, it opens to the last sheet I had open, then switches to the sheet beside it. How can I get it to open and stay on the last sheet I had open? -- bf bf Perhaps you have some event code in ThisWorkbook that switches sheets? Hit ALT + F11 to get to the VB Editor. Select your workbook/project and expand Microsoft Excel Objects. Double-click on ThisWorkbook. Any code in there? Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:10:02 -0700, "bf" <bf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I open one of my workbooks ...

Check in vba if html document is already open.
I have a vba macro that opens an html document in IE. I want to be able have the macro check if the document is already open or not; if it is then I want to switch the focus to it rather than open another instance How can I achieve this? It is not sufficient to check if IE is running as the user may have other websites open at the time. TIA Chris ...