Hyperlink to a text file

Hello
I'm using Excel 2000. I have a cell with a number and I want to reference
back to a source document (text) using a hyperlink.  However, when I click on
the link I receive an error, "unable to open specified file".

Can this be done?

Thank you.
0
JHL (6)
6/9/2009 7:37:02 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

We would need to know how you did the hyperlink and if the path correctly
point to the file
What is the point of the number in the cell?
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"JHL" <JHL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello
> I'm using Excel 2000. I have a cell with a number and I want to reference
> back to a source document (text) using a hyperlink.  However, when I click
> on
> the link I receive an error, "unable to open specified file".
>
> Can this be done?
>
> Thank you.

0
bliengme (657)
6/9/2009 7:52:18 PM
Based on your answer, I tried this again and now it works.  I don't know what
I did wrong the first go around.  THANKS

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

> We would need to know how you did the hyperlink and if the path correctly
> point to the file
> What is the point of the number in the cell?
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard V Liengme
> Microsoft Excel MVP
> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
> remove caps from email
>
> "JHL" <JHL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello
> > I'm using Excel 2000. I have a cell with a number and I want to reference
> > back to a source document (text) using a hyperlink.  However, when I click
> > on
> > the link I receive an error, "unable to open specified file".
> >
> > Can this be done?
> >
> > Thank you.

0
JHL (6)

hyperlink #4
Hello, I have. a spreadsheet with 300+ records. One column has website addresses. How can I format those cells so that when I click on the web address, it will go to the websites? I know Excel explains it but I'm not understanding it. if someone could help me with this, I would really appreciate it. Thanks, Mindy Mindy Select the cells, hit F2 and ENTER as many times as needed to roll through the range and change to hyperlinks. Whole column at a time use this macro from David McRitchie. Sub MakeHyperlinks() Dim cell As Range For Each cell In Intersect(Selection, _ ...

Compare text
I have two huge paragraphs. I want to check if both of them are same. Can macros help me in easing this process? If I have left out any word in the para it shd should indicate which word I have left out. Is that possible? thanks for the help The following macro should work. Enter the numbers of the first and second paragraphs to check in the dialog boxes. If the paragraphs are the same the macro will report that. If not it will highlight the first non-matching character in the second chosen paragraph. Sub CompareParagraphs() Dim FirstPara As Range Dim OtherPara As Range Dim...

Hyperlinks
I have a spreadsheet that is 3604 rows & 6 columns. Column E has only hyperlinks to URL's. I have filtered my data via column B. I tried to A-Z Column A. When I do, the hyperlinks do not stay with the data. The mask looks correct but when you scroll over the hyperlink you see a completely different URL.????? Can anyone tell me how to make sure the Hyperlink keeps the correct URL when filtering and sorting the data. Try using the =HYPERLINK() worksheet function Tim "LeisaA" <LeisaA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3362C55C-FBA2-43...

.wav file issue
Greetings all: I created a small PowerPoint 2007 .pps file and in it is a 17mb .wav file. My intent is to attach the file to an email and send it to someone. I published the .pps to a folder then sent a test email to a 3rd party system, attaching the .pps file that then resided in the created folder. The works fine on my system, but does not play in the test system. I've received scores of .pps files in emails and sound plays. What am I missing? Thank you. "pinger" <pinger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:33009843-0AF8-436E-988A-9D...

VBScript to get header info from FLV (flash video) files
Hi, I've just started playing with some FLVs I've downloaded. Looking at them with a hex editor, it appears they start with a header that has info about them, such as play time, whether they are audio, video, or both, etc. I've looked at Adobe's manual on FLVs, video_file_format_spec_v9.pdf, and it appears relatively easy to get to the metadata I'm looking for. I'd rather not reinvent the wheel here, so I'm hoping someone will share a VBScript that decodes this info, or a link to such a script. -Paul Randall "Paul Randall" <...

Signature and text format query
I have created a signature which inserts automatically when I click New, Reply or Forward in Outlook. But when right clicking a file and selecting Send To, Mail Recipient it opens a new untitled message in Plain Text with a signature/footnote ("The message is ready to be sent...). How can I have that message open up in HTML format instead? Also, how can I set it up so that my own signature that I have created automatically appears when the untitled message opens up (instead of having to insert it manually afterwards)? The same question applies when I have an open file (eg: ...

Shortcut for wrap text or vertical center in cell
Is there a keyboard shortcut for wrap text? how about centering data vertically in a cell? Have you considered assigning a short macro to the KB combination of i.e. <Ctrl>+<Shift>+W? Dennis "webbuzzard" wrote: > Is there a keyboard shortcut for wrap text? how about centering data > vertically in a cell? Buzz, Looking in Help for formatting shorcuts yielded nothing. You can roll your own, using the underlines. For wrap text, it's a bit long. Alt-o, e, a, Alt-w, Enter. For vertical centering, Alt-o, e, a, Alt-V, c, Enter. Or you could record a ma...

Excel 2000 Hyperlinks
Probably a silly question, but how do you turn off hyperlinks? I know how to remove them, but I want the entire feature turned off so that when I type an email address it doesn't turn it into an active hyperlink. In XP, you can go to Tools, Autocorrect options, but I can't seem to find the option in 2000. >>but I can't seem to find the option in 2000. Me either. You could precede the entry with an apostrophe. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP .... or hit CTRL-Z right after it converts. Rgds, Andy ...

Hyperlinks and e-mail
I want to be able to send an e-mail as a result of a vlookup. so if I have the name in Col A,the email address in Col B,the case number in Col C and the Vlookup formula on a different page I want to be able to lookup the name and also get the email hyperlink, with the case number included in the subject field. Then I need to automate that process with a Macro.......... Ade Hi not quite sure this is what you want but for mailing macros have a look at Ron's site: http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Ade wrote: > I want to be able to send a...

Splitting Text in a Cell
Using Excel XP, I have a cell that has full names of people (First & Last Names). Can I split these two text somehow recognizing the space in between them? Thank you. Brig, have a look at data, text to columns, post back if you need any help with it -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 97 & 2000 ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "Brig" <golteb@netzero.net> wrote in message news:ed9422dXEH...

Element 'ElephantTreeView' is not a known element. This can occur if there is a compilation error in the Web site, or the web.config file is missing. Options
Trying to implement a tree control that I cound on the internet. "I believe" that I'm doing the right thing but I'm currently getting the following Error: Element 'ElephantTreeView' is not a known element. This can occur if there is a compilation error in the Web site, or the web.config file is missing. Can someone please point it out what I might be doing wrong. Thanks ************************************** ****Control on .Master Page***** ************************************** <asp:Panel ID="Panel1" runat="server" Hei...

CEdit display text with Gdiplus:Font, Graphics
Hello, I display the text in an own 'COEdit : public CEdit' - class with Gdiplus - Graphics to make the text a little bit transparent. The display of text is ok, but the caret is wrong. I do not call edt->SetFont(...); because I have an own font, but it is an 'Gdiplus::Font' and no 'CFont'. So the carent must be in the wrong position. Thanks --- Frank Iversen I haven't done this before. I guess the edit control is doing its calucations based on the default font. But try this: Create a CFont object with the same font name and size as the one you are us...

Can you hyperlink to a hyperlink?
I'm am having trouble linking/referencing a cell that contains another hyperlink. There is a master list on one tab, that has hyperlinks to all documents listed. Our other tabs (within the same spreadsheet) contain the same information that is stored in the master list tab, but specific to a group. (i.e. a training tab, lists only the training documents) The idea is to maintain only the hyperlink on the master list page, but allow others to click of the hyperlink to a document on their specific group tab, and it would open the document. Originally, I just used the &q...

Mode function for text
Is there a function that will return the most frequently occurring text for a specified range of cells? I know that MODE will work for numeric values, but is there a MODEA that will do this for text values? Ed Ed Assuming data in B1:B20, this array formula will do the trick: =INDEX(B1:B20,MODE(MATCH(B1:B20,B1:B20,0))) Must be entered with <Shift><Ctrl><Enter> instead of <Enter>, also if edited later. If done correctly, Excel will display the formula in the formula bar enclosed by curly brackets { } Don't enter these brackets yourself. -- Best Regards L...

Hyperlinks not hyperlinked in long messages
I am receiving a regular mail which contains many hyperlinks. It seems that, when the message exceeds a certain size, only the first hyperlinks work (colored blue and underlined), but they stop working somewhere in the last third of the message. I see this happening with messages with sizes of 129, 185, 210 KB. But on another message with 43KB all the hyperlinks work. (I can send the mentioned messages to someone willing to suggest a solution) I don't know if the problem has to do with the size of the message or the number of hyperlinks within. But if I break one of these messages i...

Hyperlinking images
I have a worksheet with several columns. One of the columns is entitled image which I've hyperlinked to image files. I thought that if I were to email this worksheet to someone else that my images would go along with it. Not happening. How do I set it up, so that the images are embedded on each row as a file name and if I email it to someone, all of the images are transferred also. I know it's a simple solution, but I'm not finding it. Thanks. You must either send all the image files along with the workbook or insert the images into the workbook. Sending ...

Hyperlink?
I have been trying to put a hyperlink to a bank in an Excel cell. After difficulty I tried very carefully to follow instructions. When I click on the link, I get a message that starts with "Unable to open <address>" and ends with "Cannot download the information you requested." I do not know if the following is a clue. The address in the cell starts with http://. If I manually copy the address and paste it into the browser it works. But the address that finally appears starts with https://. The rest of the address is modified as well. I am using a relatively...

[REPOST] No date fields appear when exporting/importing CSV file?
Hello All, I need to convert some legacy emails from another system to a format that can be read by Outlook. The preferred format is CSV text, which we plan to import into Outlook. I noticed when playing with the export/import that the following seem to be the standard fields that get exported into an Outlook generated CSV file: "Subject", "Body (text)", "From: (Name)", "From: (Address)", "From: (Type)", "To:(Name)", "To: (Address)", "To: (Type)", "CC: (Name)", "CC: (Address)", "C...

Formatting question. Manual line num tab letter tab text mult line
How to setup this... Manual line num tab letter tab text multiple lines so that text lines after first auto indent to second tab. I'm not sure what you are describing here... A hanging indent perhaps? -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Mel_3" <Mel3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5EEB8597-0A53-414D-82B7-66F98ADC2604@microsoft.com... > How to setup this... > Manual line num tab letter tab text multiple lines so that text lines > after > first auto indent to second tab. ...

Wrapping Text
Excel 2007 XP SP3 How do I get a cell to automatically resize itself when you paste text that extends beyond the cell after changing the allignment to "wrap text"? Thanks for reading and your help 8^> Try paste special - radio button, values, ok i'm assuming you'd already formatted cell to wrap "WSR" wrote: > Excel 2007 > XP SP3 > > How do I get a cell to automatically resize itself when you paste text that > extends beyond the cell after changing the allignment to "wrap text"? > > Thanks for reading and your help >...

Creating XML Text
Hello, I need to create some well formed XML text live in memory. What I really want is to use the XmlTextWriter object applied to some location in memory (Stream or something?), because it does a nice job of formatting/identing, etc. But I can't figure out how to instantiate the XmlTextWriter object correctly w/o a filespec. I'm not allowed to directly instantiate a Stream & therefore a StreamWriter for that matter since there's no filespec involved. Can someone show me some code to make this work? TIA, -- John C. Bowman Software Engineer Thermo Electron Scientific I...

Numbers show instead of text
I entered text into some cells, and it shows up as numbers. What do I do? What sort of text? Where is it entered? What type of numbers? A small example would be nice. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 14:36:02 -0700, Mcoste <Mcoste@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I entered text into some cells, and it shows up as numbers. What do I do? It sounds like you have the data formatted for numeric in the first row of that column. Select the problem cells, right click, select format cells, and select Number type of "General". Good Luck! "Mcoste&quo...

create a hyperlink field for a tamplate?
I have a template with various fields, when I make use of it, all fields are displayed correctly. One of this fields is a text string that holds pathname and file name of a document related to the record. I would like to have this string come in as a hyperlink, and not have to go and manually change each cell in the column with the Insert - Hyperlink commands. Does anyone knows how to do this? NEW If using Excel 2002 or 2003 you can set this up under Tools>Autocorrect Options>Autoformat as you type. For existing strings a formula in an adjacent cell....... =HYPERLINK(cellref) ...

Can Pivot display text as data values
Hi! I'm trying to create a "dynamic phonebook" using Pivot. I.e. I can select from Page e.g. City and department, in Row Field there's listed Role and Name and In Data Items phone number and email-address. It basicly looks great, but it seems its impossible to display text values of the data. Is it possible to display text in data items? Example Page: City:Capitol City Dep.:IT-Department Rows: Role: Field Engineer Name: John Doe Data: Phone: 01 23456 Email: john.doe@mail.com I know Pivot wasn't meant for this purpose, but it would be a good tool for tha...

Insert hyperlink off and on ?
Why does the insert hyperlink drop down appear grayed out sometimes but at other times it works just fine. This is when I am doing a regular e-mail and want to highlight a term and insert a hyperlink. Outlook 2000. Just seems to have a mind of its own. ...