Hyperlink formula opens .xls and .doc, but not .pdf

I have a list of Word, Excel, and Acrobat files in C and the formula
=HYPERLINK("S:\public\Forms\" &C2, "Open " & C2) in C.

Multiple people are using the worksheet.  It appears that everyone can
open the .xls and .doc files, but the .pdfs open for some and not
others - often with a brief flash of the Acrobat application, then
nothing.  Copying file name and opening it within Acrobat works fine.

Any ideas on where this behaviour is comming from?

Tim Mills-Groninger
excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

So make sure that all the users have the latest version of the software:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=2713&fileID=2551

--

Dave Peterson
0
On May 14, 10:45=A0am, Dave Peterson <peter...@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
> So make sure that all the users have the latest version of the software:ht=
tp://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=3D2713&fileID...

good suggestion - I'll have to justify to IT.

I'll take a look at versions that work and compare them to versions
that don't.  Mine is Standard 7.0

Tim

There have been reports that the point release fixes the problem.

--

Dave Peterson
0

I had the same thing on my Corporate system (using v 7.0.0 of Reader) - so I
could not just install the upgrade :-(

The workaround is to create a shortcut to the PDF and point the hyperlink at
the shortcut.

HTH

Dave

"timmg" wrote:

> I have a list of Word, Excel, and Acrobat files in C and the formula
> =HYPERLINK("S:\public\Forms\" &C2, "Open " & C2) in C.
>
> Multiple people are using the worksheet.  It appears that everyone can
> open the .xls and .doc files, but the .pdfs open for some and not
> others - often with a brief flash of the Acrobat application, then
> nothing.  Copying file name and opening it within Acrobat works fine.
>
> Any ideas on where this behaviour is comming from?
>
> Tim Mills-Groninger

0
RiskyDave (49)

Hided formulas appearing with copy/paste
Is there a way to prevent copying hiden&protected formulas (cells) on form ?. When copy/paste (on a different worksheet) is used all the formula appear on, you need only to select the range where the hiden formula are. Because the files may have different names it is impossible to link th formulas to a base ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements If I did Format|C...

setting a formula to apply to all rows in a column
I want to set a simple (k-e) formula to apply to all rows in a column rather than to a finite set of rows. This is because I want people to be able to add an indefinite number of rows without the formula suddenly stopping working. Is this possible? (I asked my work IT helpdesk but they didn't know how to do it nor whether it was possible! :) thanks folks, -- dave @ stejonda Maybe you mean something like this In say, L2: =IF(COUNT(E2,K2)<>2,"",K2-E2) Copy L2 down to cover the max expected extent of data in cols E and K, say down to L200. Col L will then appear &quo...

hyperlink #4
Hello, I have. a spreadsheet with 300+ records. One column has website addresses. How can I format those cells so that when I click on the web address, it will go to the websites? I know Excel explains it but I'm not understanding it. if someone could help me with this, I would really appreciate it. Thanks, Mindy Mindy Select the cells, hit F2 and ENTER as many times as needed to roll through the range and change to hyperlinks. Whole column at a time use this macro from David McRitchie. Sub MakeHyperlinks() Dim cell As Range For Each cell In Intersect(Selection, _ ...

Hyperlinks
I have a spreadsheet that is 3604 rows & 6 columns. Column E has only hyperlinks to URL's. I have filtered my data via column B. I tried to A-Z Column A. When I do, the hyperlinks do not stay with the data. The mask looks correct but when you scroll over the hyperlink you see a completely different URL.????? Can anyone tell me how to make sure the Hyperlink keeps the correct URL when filtering and sorting the data. Try using the =HYPERLINK() worksheet function Tim "LeisaA" <LeisaA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3362C55C-FBA2-43...

Excel 2000 Hyperlinks
Probably a silly question, but how do you turn off hyperlinks? I know how to remove them, but I want the entire feature turned off so that when I type an email address it doesn't turn it into an active hyperlink. In XP, you can go to Tools, Autocorrect options, but I can't seem to find the option in 2000. >>but I can't seem to find the option in 2000. Me either. You could precede the entry with an apostrophe. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP .... or hit CTRL-Z right after it converts. Rgds, Andy ...

Need Help With Formula #2
I hope someone can help me with this problem. I have a worksheet (Sheet1) with the following column headings: A B C Date Description Amount All data in this worksheet is arranged in date order. I need to put a formula in a cell in another worksheet (Sheet2) which will return the last value in column C where the corresponding data in column B does not equal "Adjustment". For example my last five lines of data in Sheet1 might consist of: A ...

Error upon opening any word document or clicking on the help

applying formula to a column
Hello, I have the three columns, A, B and C and their first row contains headers. Here is an example: HeaderA HeaderB HeaderC 2 5 7 1 15 4 9 3 I want column C to automatically calculate the sume of columns A and B. So for the above example, I would have column C filled up with (7,8,19,9,3). Also if both cells in columns A and B are blank, column C will be blank. I applied the following formula to the whole column C by clicking on the C column and after entering the formula I pressed CTRL-ENTER: =IF(OR(ISNUMBER(A2),ISNUMBER(...

Enter formula by code.
Hi All can anyone help. I cant seem to get this to work. I keep getting run time error 1004 application or object defined error. Public Sub TLIdentify() finalrow = Worksheets("INV Bookings").Range("B65536").End(xlUp).Row Worksheets("INV Bookings").Range("AV26:AV" & finalrow).FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(OR(RC[-38]>0,RC[-32]>0,RC[-26]>0,RC[-20]>0,RC[-14]>0,RC[-8]>0,RC[-2]>0),VLOOKUP(RC4,'Team Summary'!R4C3:R16C4,2,0),"")" End Sub -- Regards and Thanks for any assistance. Francis Brown...

Formula Bar
How do I replace the function button "fx" with the equal sign "=" on my formula bar? Please help! Yours truly, New Excel 2002 User Sean The closest you can get is to go to Tools>Customize>Commands>Insert and drag the "=" sign to your Toolbar. Note: it does not function as it did prior to Excel 2002 and 2003. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:24:06 -0700, "Sean Lamb" <seanlamb@gmail.com> wrote: >How do I replace the function button "fx" with the equal >sign "=" on my formula bar? > >Plea...

The database cannot be opened...
Access 2007, Windows 7 ... When attempting to run a simple import from Excel, I was getting "The database cannot be opened because the VBA project contained in it cannot be read. The database can be opened only if the VBA project is first deleted." Tried a lot of suggestions from the net, none worked. Uninstalled Access, then re-installed. Now getting ... "Microsoft Access can't find the wizard. This wizard has not been installed, or there is an incorrect setting in the Windows Registry, or this wizard has been disabled". There's nothing there in ...

Decimals in Formula
how do I turn This: ="This totals need to consider "&(ROUND(SUM(G28:G32),2)) Into This: This totals need to consider 171,150.00 And Not This totals need to consider 171150.00 ="This totals need to consider "&TEXT((ROUND(SUM (G28:G32),2)),"#,###.00") HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >how do I turn This: >="This totals need to consider "&(ROUND(SUM(G28:G32),2)) > >Into This: >This totals need to consider 171,150.00 > >And Not >This totals need to consider 171150.00 > >. > Trella, He...

Hyperlinks and e-mail
I want to be able to send an e-mail as a result of a vlookup. so if I have the name in Col A,the email address in Col B,the case number in Col C and the Vlookup formula on a different page I want to be able to lookup the name and also get the email hyperlink, with the case number included in the subject field. Then I need to automate that process with a Macro.......... Ade Hi not quite sure this is what you want but for mailing macros have a look at Ron's site: http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Ade wrote: > I want to be able to send a...

Can you hyperlink to a hyperlink?
I'm am having trouble linking/referencing a cell that contains another hyperlink. There is a master list on one tab, that has hyperlinks to all documents listed. Our other tabs (within the same spreadsheet) contain the same information that is stored in the master list tab, but specific to a group. (i.e. a training tab, lists only the training documents) The idea is to maintain only the hyperlink on the master list page, but allow others to click of the hyperlink to a document on their specific group tab, and it would open the document. Originally, I just used the &q...

Unable to open the reporting Services manager in CRM 4.0
I'm trying to go to my reporting Services Report Manager by typing http://mycrmserver/reports. The problem is that It doesn't open the Services Report manager. rebooted the CRM server a couple of times but no success. Anyone here has any idea what the reason for that could be? Many thanks. Eric, Check the path in IIS, perhaps it's http://servername/reportserver Peter Gernburd "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:46E39D50-ED59-4219-B442-15ABF154CAF2@microsoft.com... > I'm trying to go to my reporting Services Report Manager by t...

Re: conditional opening of subform
Oops!! I am so used to doing this from a command button, I forgot we were using a checkbox here. Replace my previous answer with this: Private Sub Me.chkAName_AfterUpdate Dim strSQL as string strSQL = "q" 'q is the name of a table, a saved query or a sql string 'chkAName is the name of the checkbox 'chkAName is on the main form If me.chkAName = True Then 'assuming the subform is visible and enabled me.subform.form.recordsource = strSQL Else End If End Sub "Jeanette Cunningham" <nnn@discussions.microsof...

Formula #6
Can you help me with a formula for the following: Regarding Stocks: High Low Avg Shares Value I have to get the average and value amount knowing the high, low & shares. Thank you. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ One way: Assuming High in column A, Low in column B, etc, and assuming the value should be taken from the Average: C2: =AVERAGE(A2:B2) E2: =C2*D2 In article <Fran.udbtn@excelforum-nospam.com>,...

Match+sum formula
Is there a formula that will let me choose how many cells that will match cells and also sum them using a variable. For instance if I want it to calculate from a certain month out 6 or 12 months and sum the totals. Hi Todd, See SUMIF Worksheet Formula in your Excel Help. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "Todd Nelson" <ToddNelson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:94C3F47E-5B23-48B...

Hyperlinking images
I have a worksheet with several columns. One of the columns is entitled image which I've hyperlinked to image files. I thought that if I were to email this worksheet to someone else that my images would go along with it. Not happening. How do I set it up, so that the images are embedded on each row as a file name and if I email it to someone, all of the images are transferred also. I know it's a simple solution, but I'm not finding it. Thanks. You must either send all the image files along with the workbook or insert the images into the workbook. Sending ...

Suppressing Alert messages on open
I have an automatic refresh from an imported source. I've set the profile so the refresh is done when the excel file is opened. But an alert message with 2 selections is presented. One to do the refresh and the other to skip the refresh. I want the refresh to stay automatic and wonder if there is a way to suppress the alert and default to always force a refresh from external source? Hi Bob, Include this line in the macro: Application.DisplayAlerts = False When the procedure ends, Excel automatically resets the DisplatAlerts property to True. Source: Excel VBA Programming for Dummi...

Hyperlinks not hyperlinked in long messages
I am receiving a regular mail which contains many hyperlinks. It seems that, when the message exceeds a certain size, only the first hyperlinks work (colored blue and underlined), but they stop working somewhere in the last third of the message. I see this happening with messages with sizes of 129, 185, 210 KB. But on another message with 43KB all the hyperlinks work. (I can send the mentioned messages to someone willing to suggest a solution) I don't know if the problem has to do with the size of the message or the number of hyperlinks within. But if I break one of these messages i...

Hyperlink?
I have been trying to put a hyperlink to a bank in an Excel cell. After difficulty I tried very carefully to follow instructions. When I click on the link, I get a message that starts with "Unable to open <address>" and ends with "Cannot download the information you requested." I do not know if the following is a clue. The address in the cell starts with http://. If I manually copy the address and paste it into the browser it works. But the address that finally appears starts with https://. The rest of the address is modified as well. I am using a relatively...

Outlook 2003: Unable to print email from right click menu unless item is opened
I am a new user to Outlook 2003. In my prior version, after I would read the e-mail message in the inbox, I would right click the message which would bring up the menu. When I click "Print" I get a dialogue box which says "Please open this HTML message to print it." How can I bypass this and just print it without fully opening it as I was able to do in the prior version of Outlook? Thank you! ...

create a hyperlink field for a tamplate?
I have a template with various fields, when I make use of it, all fields are displayed correctly. One of this fields is a text string that holds pathname and file name of a document related to the record. I would like to have this string come in as a hyperlink, and not have to go and manually change each cell in the column with the Insert - Hyperlink commands. Does anyone knows how to do this? NEW If using Excel 2002 or 2003 you can set this up under Tools>Autocorrect Options>Autoformat as you type. For existing strings a formula in an adjacent cell....... =HYPERLINK(cellref) ...

Help with Formulas
I need help with creating a formula. I want to count the total number of individuals who meet a certain criteria in one column and a certain criteria in another column. For example: I want to find out the total number of people who live in Germany and went on a specific trip. For argument sake let's say column A is at lists only Y or N for yes and no, and column B is a list of Countries such as Germany, America, etc. I would like to figure out the total number of individuals who have a Y in column A and the word Germany in column B. This is what I have done so far and it works for co...