How to turn off highlighting??

After opening Excel (everytime) the first cell I select becomes an acho
for a mass highlighted block.  Regardless of where I take the cursor
all of the cells within the range of travel become highlighted.  Al
soft keys are dead (so I can't activate help).  Can not "ESC" out.  Ca
only Cntl-Alt-Del and close program from the task manager.

Does anyone have an idea what I can do to turn this off

--
rsbfit
rsbfitz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3530

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

This is a known problem, but not acknowledged by Microsoft. There
is no sure-fire fix for this problem. You can try clicking the
button a few times. Try clicking the mouse wheel a few times. If
you have a USB mouse, disconnect it and then reconnect it.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"rsbfitz" <rsbfitz.299drb_1150064401.8442@excelforum-nospam.com>
wrote in message

> After opening Excel (everytime) the first cell I select becomes
> an achor
> for a mass highlighted block.  Regardless of where I take the
> cursor,
> all of the cells within the range of travel become highlighted.
> All
> soft keys are dead (so I can't activate help).  Can not "ESC"
> out.  Can
> only Cntl-Alt-Del and close program from the task manager.
>
> Does anyone have an idea what I can do to turn this off?
>

> --
> rsbfitz
> rsbfitz's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35304
> View this thread:

chip1 (1821)
6/11/2006 10:24:13 PM
Chip,
Your solution worked great.  I wasn't using a USB mouse, but had on
and plugged it in.  Couple of clicks and was able to turn it off.

Thanks

--
rsbfit
rsbfitz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3530
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=55083

reading pane keeps turning on and preview pane keeps turning off
I've been using outlook 2007 for about 6 months and all has been ok until now. My normal view is to have the reading pane turned off and the preview pane turned on. however, now things changed all of a sudden. now when ever I go to the inbox the reading pane is turned on and the preview pane is turned off. So I go to the view menu and reset the view to what it should be. if I click on any other folder such as sent items and back to the inbox, its back to reading pane on and preview pane off. This is the same behavior for all folders. any ideas how to resolve this? Thanks. -- ...

conditional formatting to highlight top score
I'm a newbie to this list so please forgive if already covered (though a search didn't find it). I have a list of top scorers in the premiership who's goals I update weekly. i want the table to show who is the top scorer this week by highlighting his name and score (just score would do). I then want to show the second and third top scoresrs. Ideally I would also like other seperate cells filled with the top scorer's name and price (also listed in orginal table) so that I effectively automatically build the week's top scoring team beside the original table. I have so far ...

How do you turn off autoformatting?
I am making a spreadsheet that is essentially a record. In one of the cells, I am entering the old/new values for something as 4/80, which Excel instantly turns into April-80. I can format the the cell back to General, but the number that results is not 4/80. And if I go in and reset it to 4/80 again, the autoformatting kicks in again and the whole process starts over. While there are plenty of ways I could work around this, from changing the way I enter the data on up, it has become a sort of matter of honor now. How the heck do I stop Excel from overriding everything I enter? -- nickt --...

Locate highlighted cell??
Excel 2010 Many times I am working in a large spreadsheet and loose track of where the highlighted cell is. Is there a command or mouse gesture, etc. that will let me know where the selected cell is? I realize that I can look on the left side of the formula bar and it will give the cell address but that is not always visible. I know there is a similar option that will let you use the CTRL to locate the mouse cursor. Does anyone know how I can do this? Thanks in advance... Bob > Many times I am working in a large spreadsheet and loose track of > where the highlighted cell is. Is th...

Counting Selected/Highlighted Rows
Need to modify this maco to not count hidden rows. For example if seven rows of ten rows in question are hidden, I need the macro to count only the three visible on screen. Also, if no rows were hidden, and all ten were selected (highlighted), the macro should count ten. In other words, it should count only what is selected/visible on screen. Sub CountHighlightedRows() MsgBox "Rows Selected: " & Selection.Rows.Count End Sub Not sure if I understand, but try this: Sub fj() Dim x As Long x = Selection.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Count MsgBox...

Highlight exact match in column and count
I am using this CF to find my duplicates =COUNTIF(A1:A$10000,A1)>1. The next part I need is to count the number of duplicates (gray shaded & strikethough). I have tried a few VBA but I read they don't work with formula based CF's. I could also sort the gray shaded then count them with a helper column but ideally would be have one cell at the bottom of my 8000 rows that total my duplicates. 'to display the distinct items in the range =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A20<>"")/COUNTIF(A1:A20,A1:A20&"")) 'duplicate items in the range.. =COUNT...

How do I stop bullet letter (a, b, c) from turning greek?
When I create a document in which I have used letters for bulletted lists (ie, a), b), c) etc), when I print or reopen it, the letters have changed to Greek characters alpha, beta etc. How can I stop this from happening? Thanks very much. Wow, I cannot duplicate this in any version of Publisher. Maybe you are using a different type font. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "allythegeek" <allythegeek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3FD4415-6A6E-4EA1-97BD-0FF22ADFBB5A@microsoft.com... &...

Preview Pane turns itself back on
I've asked everyone to disable preview pane and I have one user who tells me that everytime she disables it, it turns itself back on. She can disable it in the inbox, go to sent mail folder, return to inbox and it's back on. Help! ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Exchane E-TUrn Configuration
Hi. Can anyone please point me in the direction of a document that details the configuration of two exchange servers in different active directory domains where one must receive mails for a specific domain and park them and the other dials-up every hour and retrieves these mails? I believe I have to use E-turn for this? Thanks you ...

User cannot open calendar appointments, highlight email text, or view emails in the preview pane
We have a 2003 domain and run Exchange 2003 server with Outlook 2003 clients. One user has 3 strange problems. She cannot open calendar appointments (no error, just nothing happens), she cannot read the email contents in the preview pane and has top open the email fully to do so, and she cannot highlight text in the body of the email. It is not to do with the Outlook installation itself as we run a Citrix environment and she gets this problem when logged on to different servers. I have deleted and recreated her profile. Interestingly it seemed to sort the problem of opening meeting rooms tempo...

How turn turn off warnings
I have a form which contains a button to run an update query. When clicking the button, it warns of running an update query to which one must respond "Yes". Then it informs you that it is going to update x number of records to which one must again respond "Yes". I have used macros in the past to turn off and then back on these warnings, but lately I have tried to write the code instead of macros. What would be the code for this? For reference, this is what I have right now: Private Sub UpdateMPS_Button_Click() On Error GoTo Err_UpdateMPS_Button_Click Dim stDocN...

How to turn Off and On the pesky Office Assistant?
I want to try to live without the Office Assistant. How can I turn it off? If I find I must have it, how do I turn it back on? Thanks, tmb Right clck the office assistant and select Options. Options that are selected cause the office assistant to display, so the more options you deselect, the less times the little guy will show up. You will probably want to leave "REspond to F1 Key" selected (checked), so that you know you can always recall office assistant by pressing F1. Judy Freed "tmb" <topmailbox@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:MLfLb.219948$%h4.209554...

Turn off Client message server side
I need to turn off client message about the status of the exchange servers on the server aide. Is that possible? We have users how gets messages through the day about the exchange server. Can I turn this off server side? Which message is this? On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 11:40:17 -0500, "AJ" <ajohnso9@jcpenney.com> wrote: >I need to turn off client message about the status of the exchange servers >on the server aide. Is that possible? We have users how gets messages >through the day about the exchange server. Can I turn this off server side? > > ...

Outlook is running in the background. How do I turn it off?
Outlook is running in the bckground. Don't know why or how. How do I stop it? Some common reasons why Outlook will not shut down completely when you click either the X or Exit: 1. PDA synchronization software with your PDA in the cradle. (activesync, iTunes, etc.) 2. WinFax Pro (especially 10.02 in Outlook 2003) - contact their support for an alleged fix. 3. Franklin-Covey Plan Plus! 4. COM Add-ins. 5. Mail reminder add-ins that keep a stub of Outlook open in the background to check for new mail and fire reminders. 6. Anti-virus/firewall programs that are set to scan i...

Turn on!
As known to us, Exchange 2003 SP2 support enhanced SenderID. How can I turn on SPFResult(apposing Urgency,SenderID,SCL and so on)on the top bar of Outlook 2003? Thanks a lot! KejiaLi,coming from Beijing,China ...

Outlook Attachment bloking
How to Turn Off the Outlook 2000 E-mail Attachment Security Update ? Is the the file with all "Unsafe" extentions ? Is it a REGISTRY KEY ? I use Exchange Server 5.5 - Outlook on front end I need to be able to open some extention - Outlook blokes the "unsafe" files attached. Old version of Outlook DO allow atachments, new, with sp3 (sp2, sp1) do block it automaticaly ! How do I change it ? Thank you, Gon http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm "gon" <stafing123@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:0c7201c3db8b$bac3b130$a501280a@...

Turning off read receipts once turned on
In Outlook 2000 (configured for CW), the first time an e- mail is opened with a read receipt request, you have a pop-up option to sned a receipt everytime you get a read receipt request. If this is turned on, how can you turn it back off? Going into the Tools>Options>E-mail Options>Tracking Options does not allow you to change your preference once you have accepted read receipts. Neither does reinstalling office. Any suggestions? ...

Turn Over Report
I am not an Accountant or Inventory Manager, how would I interpret or what should I be looking for when I read a Turn Over Report? What are the benefits? Where does the Number Of Receipts (are adjustments included?), Quantity Received YTD, Average Inventory, Quantity Sold YTD Number Of Turns YTD, Annual Turns derive from? "tstrop" wrote: > I am not an Accountant or Inventory Manager, how would I interpret or what > should I be looking for when I read a Turn Over Report? What are the benefits? The turnover report reports the number of times your inventory is replaced, ...

Redo isn't highlighted
Team; I've found something that sure looks like a bug. a) Insert a Row. b) I want to re-do this, so I go to click on the Redo (next to the Office Start Button) c) redo is disabled (grayed out) through the GUI.. so I scratch my head d) hit CTRL + Y in order to redo, and it works like a charm. It just seems to me like CTRL + Y should be synchronized with the Redo icon.. Please let me know if you need more information. Thanks -Aaron That is not a bug. You're confusing "re-do" with "repeat" which is Ctrl+Y or F4. "re-do" undoes the last undo or series ...

How do i turn it off
Hi, Im using office 2003 and if a click and hold the left mouse button an move the cursor out of the cell and release the mouse button the cell stay highlighted and follow me around the worksheet. Is there anyway to change this so that when i release the mouse butto the cells de-highligh -- ceem ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ceemo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1065 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37384 Does it work properly if you release the mouse button, and th...

Row select mode to highlight active row of active cell
Yet another simple convenience for folks with large spreadasheets. Whatever row and/or column you are in gets highlighted. Sure, you could select the row or column heading, but so often you are tooling around a large spreadsheet and it would be nice not to have to finger your way over to track across. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestio...

turn off mirror
Hi - I'm trying to create a duplex business card but any changes made to the text are being 'mirrored' or repeated on the 1st page. Both sides need to have different info on them. Does anyone know how to stop Pub. from mirroring ? .. thanks Interesting!!! What version of Publisher are you using? -- >-----Original Message----- >Interesting!!! > >What version of Publisher are you using? > >-- >Pub 2000 > >. > Yeah, read/search the HELP file and it will tell you how to turn off the Synchronising in Publisher 2000. That feature was only in P...

Posting Reports in Manufacturing-How to turn off
In regular dynamic V10, you can go to the posting options and turn off the printing (and get rid of the box asking where to send report) Where do you do the same in manufacturing? For example after a MO receipt, we do not want to print OR be asked to print a report. Right now we have to click cancel like 3 times. thanks! -- Doug Those are actually Inventory reports. Look at the report titles and then go to inventory and turn off the reports there. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check ou...

How do I turn off the caps lock on a form?
Hi - I added a new field to my Form, but the default for the form seems to be only CAPS. I need this new filed to have both upper and lower case letters (as well as numbers). Thanks Hi Linda, Where are you seeing only CAPS? If the new control is a textbox, when the user types in the textbox, does the entry format as all caps? Are you seeing caps in design view of the form? Jeanette Cunningham "Linda Davies" <Linda Davies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2AB3DB52-2D7B-4272-884A-63D37E94E8A9@microsoft.com... > Hi - I added a new field to my Form, but ...