How to turn off auto-formating of numbers into scientific number format.

This has to be one of the most annoying things I have ever seen come out of
the Redmond collective.

If you import numbers into an excel 2003 spreadsheet, like 2003E152, it will
automatically format it in scientific notation.
I have read http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q214233

I refuse to accept this as a "feature".  I would like to know how to turn it
off completely, so it never does the conversion.

Thanks,

twf

0
tfelts (292)
2/14/2006 6:37:52 PM
excel 39880 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi

Can't be done in general. You have to do adjust the way you "import numbers
into".

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Tom Felts" <tfelts@nospam.mckennalong.com> skrev i melding
> This has to be one of the most annoying things I have ever seen come out
of
> the Redmond collective.
>
> If you import numbers into an excel 2003 spreadsheet, like 2003E152, it
will
> automatically format it in scientific notation.
> I have read
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q214233

> I refuse to accept this as a "feature".  I would like to know how to turn
it
> off completely, so it never does the conversion.
>
> Thanks,
>
> twf

0
innocent (844)
2/14/2006 7:03:00 PM
I figured it out.   I switched to Open Office...

thanks,

twf

"Harald Staff" <innocent@enron.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Can't be done in general. You have to do adjust the way you "import
> numbers
> into".
>
> HTH. Best wishes Harald
>
> "Tom Felts" <tfelts@nospam.mckennalong.com> skrev i melding
>> This has to be one of the most annoying things I have ever seen come out
> of
>> the Redmond collective.
>>
>> If you import numbers into an excel 2003 spreadsheet, like 2003E152, it
> will
>> automatically format it in scientific notation.
>> I have read
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q214233
>>

>> I refuse to accept this as a "feature".  I would like to know how to turn
> it
>> off completely, so it never does the conversion.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> twf

0
tfelts (292)
2/14/2006 8:00:05 PM
LOL. I originally also wrote something like "if you refuse to accept
features of a spesific program, then you should look for another one that
you're more happy with" -but deleted it before posting, it looked too grumpy
in writing. Glad you found a solution :-)

> I figured it out.   I switched to Open Office...
>

> thanks,
>
> twf
>

> "Harald Staff" <innocent@enron.invalid> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > Can't be done in general. You have to do adjust the way you "import
> > numbers
> > into".
> >
> > HTH. Best wishes Harald
> >
> > "Tom Felts" <tfelts@nospam.mckennalong.com> skrev i melding
> >> This has to be one of the most annoying things I have ever seen come
out
> > of
> >> the Redmond collective.
> >>
> >> If you import numbers into an excel 2003 spreadsheet, like 2003E152, it
> > will
> >> automatically format it in scientific notation.
> >> I have read
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q214233
> >>

> >> I refuse to accept this as a "feature".  I would like to know how to
turn
> > it
> >> off completely, so it never does the conversion.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> twf

0
innocent (844)

Auto filter #7
Is it possiable to filter more than 1000 rows with autofilter? and if so, how? Select your range and apply the data|autofilter. I bet you're seeing a maximum of 1000 unique entries under that dropdown. The range is still filtered--excel just shows a max of 1000 entries. Debra Dalgleish has some tips you may like: http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Limits (and you could always use a custom filter and type what you want (or contains what you want). Lisa Files wrote: > > Is it possiable to filter more than 1000 rows with autofilter? and if so, how? -- Dave Peters...

reading pane keeps turning on and preview pane keeps turning off
I've been using outlook 2007 for about 6 months and all has been ok until now. My normal view is to have the reading pane turned off and the preview pane turned on. however, now things changed all of a sudden. now when ever I go to the inbox the reading pane is turned on and the preview pane is turned off. So I go to the view menu and reset the view to what it should be. if I click on any other folder such as sent items and back to the inbox, its back to reading pane on and preview pane off. This is the same behavior for all folders. any ideas how to resolve this? Thanks. -- ...

How to make ticket numbers in Publisher 2007?
I�m going to make som servicecards in A5. On the servicecards I must ticketnumbers. How do I make this automaticly?? Yhank you in advance. Yours Dan Andersen - www.dbamott.dk Create a database with your numbers and other information, use mail merge. What are the dimensions of your service cards? A5? When you mail merge you can only have one card on your screen for the merge to be successful. Help here Mail, e-mail, and catalog merge http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/CH100502901033.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews...

conditional formatting to highlight top score
I'm a newbie to this list so please forgive if already covered (though a search didn't find it). I have a list of top scorers in the premiership who's goals I update weekly. i want the table to show who is the top scorer this week by highlighting his name and score (just score would do). I then want to show the second and third top scoresrs. Ideally I would also like other seperate cells filled with the top scorer's name and price (also listed in orginal table) so that I effectively automatically build the week's top scoring team beside the original table. I have so far ...

Writing to a text file formatted as XML
Hi! I have a text file that looks like this: <configuration> <appSettings> <add key="db_server" value="someserver" /> <add key="db_database" value="somedatabase" /> </appSettings> </configuration> Now, I want to check if value for db_server is empty and if it is, I want to write the value. I am trying to use XmlTextWriter and XmlTextReader but being new to XML processing I don't know exactly how to do it. Can anyone help please? Regards, Kumar The easiest way would be to load the document in Xml...

auto filtering on excel
i am only at a basic level with excel but need help to allow me to filter up to several thousand rows of data down to one line with the relevant data i can then use elswhere. seen loads of stuff on tinternet which probably works but above my level of knowledge. i have a very simple spreadsheet which explains what i want but cannot attach, if anyone is kind enough to send me their email i will forward it to them. OR can you point me in the right direction for help? cheers, and a merry christmas (if you beleive in it) and a prosperous new year to you all..... If desired, ...

Supress Scientific Numbers??
Hi ... Is there any way to get Excel to not display numbers in scientific format?? To force it to display 1.86E+08 as whatever the number really is?? Thanks, Sam Hi Sam Have a look at Format / Cells/ Number -- Michael Mitchelson "Sam" wrote: > Hi ... > > Is there any way to get Excel to not display numbers in scientific > format?? To force it to display 1.86E+08 as whatever the number really is?? > > Thanks, > > Sam > > > What "the number REALLY is"!!! if X=1.86e-3 then that is what x reallly is. The decimal sy...

How do you turn off autoformatting?
I am making a spreadsheet that is essentially a record. In one of the cells, I am entering the old/new values for something as 4/80, which Excel instantly turns into April-80. I can format the the cell back to General, but the number that results is not 4/80. And if I go in and reset it to 4/80 again, the autoformatting kicks in again and the whole process starts over. While there are plenty of ways I could work around this, from changing the way I enter the data on up, it has become a sort of matter of honor now. How the heck do I stop Excel from overriding everything I enter? -- nickt --...

Excell 2002
Hello, I've got a problem with formatting changes not updating in linked worksheets... Simply put, if you have a document that has a linked cell to another worksheet, the formatting ie...COLORS doesn't change when you chnge the source document with the linked document??? Yes, for instance text will be updated... but again, not formatting like making it BOLD or changing the colors of the text! Any ideas... I did see a KB article 1009182 regarding a problem linking WORD with Excel... but not Excel with Excel and the formatting no holding... it possibly is the case with Excel ...

Column Headers showing numbers
Hello there, My Excel spreadsheets are opening up with numbers at the top not letters. I'm sure I must have clicked something! Thank you in advance Julie Hi Julie, Tools | Options | General Tab | Uncheck R1C1 Reference Style --- Regards, Norman "Julie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:310801c4b04f$ea2980f0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Hello there, > > My Excel spreadsheets are opening up with numbers at the > top not letters. I'm sure I must have clicked something! > > Thank you in advance > > Julie > > ...

Lebans Report2PDF
First off, I want to express how much I appreciate this tool, and if I can't get around this issue it's not the end of the world. However I am having a small formatting issue I want to see if anyone has any suggestions for. I have a report that has three side by side sub- reports within it, each of which can grow. The middle sub-report has web addresses which I've formatted with underlines and colored blue to help the customer realize they can click on it to go straight to that page (which is really a function of their reader, but many customers wouldn't realize they could d...

Auto duplicate entries
Working in Excel 2003. Is there any way that when entering data on one worksheet, that it is also automatically entered on another worksheet within the same workbook at a designated location? If so, then how do you do this? Thanks much. Hi Does typing "=" in the cell you want the data to automatically duplicate - then clicking (using the mouse) on the cell you want it to copy from - then pressing [enter] work? Simple, but effective, if I am correct in my understanding of your request. hth Rob Brockett still Learning & the best way to learn is to experience... -- broro183...

How do I stop bullet letter (a, b, c) from turning greek?
When I create a document in which I have used letters for bulletted lists (ie, a), b), c) etc), when I print or reopen it, the letters have changed to Greek characters alpha, beta etc. How can I stop this from happening? Thanks very much. Wow, I cannot duplicate this in any version of Publisher. Maybe you are using a different type font. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "allythegeek" <allythegeek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3FD4415-6A6E-4EA1-97BD-0FF22ADFBB5A@microsoft.com... &...

Cond. Formatting, Mod(Row) and cell conditions
Is there any way to use the mod row function to shade alternative rows, based on whether cells have any value in them. I want to select a big range (eg A:G) and only shade alternative rows (A:G) once data is place in cells. the mod row function shades regardless if there is data in or not. Select ColA:G and try the below CF formula..Make sure the active cell of your selection is in Row1 =AND(MOD(ROW(),2),COUNTA($A1:$G1)) -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "wynand" wrote: > Is there any way to use the mod row function to shade alternative rows, based > on wheth...

How do i convert numbers into text automatically in Excel?
I want to convert numbers into text i.e. 989 into "nine hundred and eighty nine" Is there a way to do in excel? Hi see: http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany dsmki wrote: > I want to convert numbers into text i.e. > > 989 into "nine hundred and eighty nine" > > Is there a way to do in excel? See http://www.barasch.com/excel/cCo11432.htm or http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/ValueToWords.htm or http://asia.cnet.com/enterprise/apps/0,39035809,39191000,00 ..htm or search at google with words "...

Auto Filter Sorting Issue
I have a large spread sheet and frequently use the auto filter capabilities. My rows are getting out of sequence (the data is not staying in the correct row). I've marked cells and then tested by sorting different columns ascending, desending, etc. and I've done this on multiple columns. I can not get the data to return to the original format even when I turn the filters off. I have in excess of 100 hours invested in this data. Needless to say it's a very important document! Any help will be greatly appreciated. If you want to get back to original order of the r...

How to convert word doc to excel w/o changing format to add formu.
I have an evaluation form I need to convert from word to excel; as to implement formulas to make the scoring easier to maintain or more accurate. I am having trouble since the original word doc has numerous tables and such. I am not that excel savvy..HELP ...

unwanted formatting changes
I have had two repeating problems where fromats have been changed 'automatically' and unexpectedly. a) Copy pasting from an Access query into a spreadsheet. I preset certain column formats to text but on pasting one column changed to currency format and another to data format (the data I am pasting in is text format in Access). b) On making a copy of a sheet inside a workbook data formats changed in a number of other sheets and the new sheet being created. I was able to repeat both problems with the same actions. Something appears to be wrong with Excel. I reinstalled today b...

Appointments in 3.0 auto close or auto complete???
Does 3.0 auto complete appointments like 1.2 did? It doesn't appear that it does and I am wondering if there is a sql job to do this. -- Thanks, Brian ...

Word Auto Summary Option
I do home inspections and use Word for my reports. I would like to create a automatic summary page of all defects I list in my report instead of having to copy and paste them one by one. Is it possible to have word search for a specific "key word" then capture that canned statement and put it in a seperate summary document automatically? For example... Defect -- The house needs ect ect I want word to look for all canned statements that starts with the word "Defect". That would be simple enough. Does the term 'Defect' begin a paragraph? ...

XCEL Diasadvantages using the general format
This is a overall general question ...

auto insert text
I would like to insert one word and have it automatically insert a paragraph. How do I do that? When you create the AutoText, make sure that it includes a paragraph mark (�). If you are using Word 2007, note that AutoComplete is no longer supported for AutoText. Instead, make use of AutoCorrect. To create your AutoCorrect entry: Create an example paragraph with the contents and formatting that you want. Select the whole paragraph, including the paragraph mark. Click the Office button, and then click Word Options. In the Proofing category, click AutoCorrect Options. Select ...

Exchane E-TUrn Configuration
Hi. Can anyone please point me in the direction of a document that details the configuration of two exchange servers in different active directory domains where one must receive mails for a specific domain and park them and the other dials-up every hour and retrieves these mails? I believe I have to use E-turn for this? Thanks you ...

Preview Pane turns itself back on
I've asked everyone to disable preview pane and I have one user who tells me that everytime she disables it, it turns itself back on. She can disable it in the inbox, go to sent mail folder, return to inbox and it's back on. Help! ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...