How to store numbers as Text in Excel

Hi,

I would like to store the number (numeric value) such as "123", "456"
etc stored in the cells as Text.  The formatting of the cell as text is
not helping me and if I have to actually convert the data to text then I
need to Press F2 and Press Enter again.  The methods posted on the web
are also not helping me much.  I would like to have this solution to a
spreadsheet already having numbers stored in them.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Nagaraj

0
nbirur (1)
11/27/2003 12:35:30 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I formatted A1 as text.  I typed 1234 in it.  I put =istext(a1) and it returned
true.

I hit F2 and enter on cell A1 and the formula didn't change.

Are you sure you don't have something changing the format of the cell back to
General?  Or that it was General before???

I don't recall any version of excel changing a cell formatted as Text to numeric
just by F2|Enter.

But if it's happening to you, try starting the value with an apostrophe:

'1234

should stay text until you format the cell as General and remove the apostrophe.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Variable number of entries per field in contact report
Hi, I'm not a db programmer, so this is painful. I'm creating a directory for our church. Singles, couples, families. I've got it all working except that if a family has more than one child, the family is getting one report entry for each child. How do I format the control so that if there are multiple children, all are printed in a horizontal field at the bottom of the family's entry? I have the children in a subtable with two fields, Child and Birthdate. They're linked to the ID of the family's db entry in the main table. The no code solution is to bu...

Exch 2003 store.exe terminates when ESM Replication Status selected
Exch 2003 SP1 on W2K SP4 - had been 5.5 until moving to Exch 2K swing server. 5.5 removed and Exch 2003 SP1 installed, seemingly OK. Weird problem - if I click on ESM->Administrative groups-> group ->Servers-> server->First Storage Group->Public Folder Store(server) and then click on Replication Status, after a delay I recieve a popup saying, "An error occurred while retrieving the requested information. The Microsoft Exchange Information Store service is not running or the Microsoft Exchange Server computer is unavailable. ID no: c103047d Exchange System Manager...

Finding Text String Within A String With A Formula
I need to find a text string within a string. Because I am not familiar with programming, I prefer to do this with a formula. This is what I need to do - extract text that meets this criteria: SSN-XXXXXXXXX SSN-XXX-XX-XXXX SSN - XXXXXXXXX SSN - XXX-XX-XXXX EXAMPLES OF STRINGS TO BE SEARCHED: ROBERT PALMER 123 ELM ST WINNBORO 555-1212 SSN-123456789 PR 34290 #< 14932 ACACIA GARDEN HEIGHTS 979/830-9086 COST ASSOC SSN - 123-45-6789 Thanks! Sandi =MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(B8," ",""),"-",""),FIND("SSN",SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(B...

Stored Procedure error message
Hi, I have written scipt in Dex to create tables. After I have added chunk file, tables are creating properly. But the issue is after login into Great Plains I am getting the following error "The Stored Procedure GrantAccess() of form Sql maintenance : 69: pass through Sql returned the following results :DBMS :15151, Microsoft Dynamics GP:0" Any Idea Please... Jack Hi Friends, I got the solution my slef and issue has resolved.. Thanks, Jack "Jack" wrote: > Hi, > > I have written scipt in Dex to create tables. After I have added chunk file, > table...

Sequential Numbering Set-up for Multiple Sheets in a Workbook
How do I set up the excel file to sequentially number multiple sheets within a workbook I have a saved file with LTD,STD and Life details. When I create a "custom footer" and select "& pages" it does not sequentially number each sheet as a different page number It sounds like what you want is to print all the sheets together, with the footer saying Page 1, Page 2, etc. To do that, select all the sheets and print. It will then do the page numbering for you. You do need to have the footer on all of the sheets to be able to see it. >-----Original Message----- &g...

Custon Number Format
I would like to format a cell so that the number, for example 135,000,000 would appear as 135.0M. Is there a way to do this? Thank you -- Allan Try #,##0.0,,\M Note the two commas after the second 0. Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP 1998 - 2010 Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com [email on web site] On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 07:09:01 -0800, Flipper <Flipper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I would like to format a cell so that the number, for example 135,000,000 >would appear as 135.0M. > >Is there a way to do this? &g...

excel list
want to put a guest list in alphabetical order by last name in column A. i.e. Mrs. John Doe.. Try this formula in B1 and fill down. Then sort on column B: =MID(A1,FIND("#",SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","#",LEN(A1)-LEN (SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",""))))+1,255) HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >want to put a guest list in alphabetical order by last >name in column A. i.e. Mrs. John Doe.. >. > ...

Multi Store Vouchers
I do not see a way for this to work. I want to be able to give out store credit to our customers but there does not seem a way to make this work for multiple stores. In a single store setup everything is stored in the Voucher table. These vouchers are uploaded during the HQ synchronization but each store does not have access to other stores voucher's. Does anyone have any insight on how I could get this resolved? Thanks, Dan I take it you are trying to issue Store Credit for returns, not actually trying to implement a voucher system for gift cards/certificates. If this is corre...

Revealing page/line numbers in bottom status bar in Word 2007
I'd like to see what page and line I'm on when working on a Word document, now that I'm using Word 2007 Ultimate Edition. How can I reveal page and line numbers in the bottom status bar, in the same it was possible in Word 2003? Thanks. Binky;704383 Wrote: > I'd like to see what page and line I'm on when working on a Word document, > now that I'm using Word 2007 Ultimate Edition. How can I reveal page and > line numbers in the bottom status bar, in the same it was possible in Word > 2003? Thanks. Binky, Right click the status ...

Limits on number of columns
I have a spreadsheat which will have approximately 200 columns when all is said and done. This will be used as a data doc for a merge to be performed in Word. Are there any known problems that I should be aware of in this situation? Thanks for any help or hints you may provide. The following MSKB article explains the limits for various data sources. For Excel you could use all 256 columns: HOW TO: Design and Set Up a Mail Merge Address List in Word 2002 http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=294688#9 Milli wrote: > I have a spreadsheat which will have approximately 200 > colu...

can't open excel workbook
Hi to everyyone... anyone know how to open a corrupt excel file I get a message that says ..."unable to open file" even though it's there, all appeared to be ok even during a saving till i tried to open again...before I saved it I was working on macros, don't know if that has any relevance many thanks in advance -- gerry405 I would have to say it does sound like Macro problem. If you have macros in the workbook one of them could be corrupt You can allways try running the macros from Tools, Macros, Run Macro. Or go into Visual basic and run them there. Hope tha...

loose number formatting on save
Is there a defect with Publisher 2007 that causes the number formating to reset to default when you save a catalog merge? How can I keep all formating? I am creating a cattle sale catalog and the basic page setup is the same for each section, but headings change so I save each section as a different publication. Everytime I open the publication or make a slight change and save a publication, I find the number formatting has reverted to no format at all. I also want to save the selected records from the excel file with the template so when I open the particular file with a specific ...

Text Box
I would like to have the same size text box on multiple pages that are linked. I have tried right clicking the text box, selecting Format Text Box and checking Apply Settings to New Text Boxes, but it doesn't appear to work. When I add text to the box and it runs out of space, Publisher asks if I want to insert a new text box and connect it, and I accept, the new text box is the wrong size, and sometimes comes in with a black border rather than the no line border I have designated. Is there another method to easily accomplish what I want? I have read several posts that recommend...

Excel #64
I have an excel file that, when opened, nothing shows up, but when I click on print preview the file shows there. Not sure if this happens on all excel files. This is Office 2000 SP3. Any Ideas? >-----Original Message----- >I have an excel file that, when opened, nothing shows up, >but when I click on print preview the file shows there. >Not sure if this happens on all excel files. This is >Office 2000 SP3. Any Ideas? >. >Had this happen the other day to one of our users. The cells had been formatted with the print white. When I changed it to black, ever...

HQ/Store date mismatch
We just deployed our 3rd store and eveyrthing was working fine, transactions were being uploaded and everything. Then, the store ops DB computer got moved, and I guess at some point someone changed the date on the computer to be a month in advance. Now, all of our transactions from 4/25/2006 to 4/27/2006 are actually in the DB as 5/25/2006 to 5/27/2006. I just discovered the problem and changed the date on the Store Ops machine, but I don't know what the best way to fix these transactions is, or if it is even possible. What I'd like to do is go change all of these transac...

Text Wrap in OL 2002
Hi can I control the text wrap in OL 2002 WIN XP? I use Word as the email editor and use html format. Tx a lot. S ...

Text Only for Macros in Excel 2007?
Hello, I'm using the Office 2007 Beta and haven't been able to rename macros I've created and added to the ribbon. Even though I type the name I want, it only shows the symbol until you mouse over it, then it shows up with the correct name as a tool tip. I can't find the option to have it display "text only" instead of symbols. Does anyone know where this is? Thanks Jim ...

Outlook XP autofill To field
Outlook XP ... When typing in names in the To field of new messages Outlook will start to show names that have either already been typed, sent to or appear in the Contact list. Where is this "autofill" list kept? Is it user accessible? I'd like to get rid of some of the names that are not already in my Contacts. You can just use the down arrow key to highlight a name that is incorrect or whose address has changed and press delete. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding ...

Excel Worksheet manipulation
How do you keep related data on multiple worksheets in order when you sort the top worksheet I don't use formulas like: =sheet1!a1 in those other sheets. I try to find a unique key field (column) and populate those other worksheets with the same keys (just copy|paste--not formulas). Then I use =vlookup() or =index(match()) to return the values corresponding to those unique keys. You may want to read Debra Dalgleish's notes: http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html (for =vlookup()) and http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html (for =index(match())) aces2 wrote: > &g...

Average Sales per Store
Need help modifying the RMS "Average Sales per Store" report that is found in CustomerSource. Would like to add filters for Department and Category if possible. I have tried to modify it myself, but I'm a beginner at this and I keep coming up short. One other thing that may be useful is if it can summarize by date also - would be nice to see how the values change over the course of a week or so. "Jason Kelton" wrote: > Need help modifying the RMS "Average Sales per Store" report that is found in > CustomerSource. Would like to add filters for D...

maximum number of songs per playlist in wmp 11
anyone?, it seems to be 10.001, but i want more...How? Are you sure that this is WMP 11? Windows XP or Vista? How exactly are you creating the playlist? I can create a playlist with almost 3.000 songs here just fine, on WMP 11 (XP). Regards -- Tim De Baets http://www.bm-productions.tk On 22/05/2010 12:57, reinds wrote: > anyone?, it seems to be 10.001, but i want more...How? ...

Store Credit multi Store
Good Day, Can someone give advice about how to set up Store Credits for a multi store enterprise. Currently the client use store credits/vouchers at store location only and can only redeem a Store Credit where it was issued. We would like to set it up so that they can redeem a store credit at any store location no matter where it was issued. Three stores connected via HQ. Thanks in Advance. I believe you can set up an account type and call it 'store credit' or something, then when you enter the new customer information for the person receiving store credit you simply assig...

is there a way to insert week numbers in the Outlook Calendar?
I need an easy way to control contracts and week numbers are basic for one of my subcontractors. Can anyone help? Thank you! You can display them on the navigation calendar and month view, but if you need them on physically on the calendar, you'll need to create events. See http://outlooktips.net/apptseries for the method. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newslet...

Excel as a Database
Hi, I m using invoice in excel. Is there any way to store record of last sales as a database? I want do it in only in excel. Give me complete process. RRS Hi Rao Try this http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy1.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Rao Ratan Singh" <RaoRatanSingh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36DBC96E-24F5-45F1-8B16-FFCAC322D846@microsoft.com... > Hi, > I m using invoice in excel. Is there any way to store record of last sales > as a database? > I want do it in only in excel. Give me complete process. > > R...

Limiting number of duplicate records
I'm trying to use If and DCount in my form to give me a message when a user tries to create more than the allowed number of duplicate records. The number of duplicates allowed is established in the table tblFloorProgCriteria. These are the three fields where I’m looking for duplicates: AuditID (Number Field) FloorProgCriteriaID (Number Field) AuditorID (Text Field) Here’s what I have so far... Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer) If DCount("*", "tblFloorProgAudit", "[AuditID] = " & Me.[Audi...