How to search and add a value from sheet1 to sheet2

Hi,

Let's say you have one sheet with a list of products.
Column1 = product name
Column2 = product number

I would like to have a cell on Sheet2, where I can start typing something,
and it would let me see a list based on what I typed so far.
E.g when I type "Volks" it should show a list of all Volkswagen Cars.

If I then choose the value, it should use this value and add the product
number in the cell next to it.

What function should I use, or how can I do this?

Thanks,

Roel
0
Roel (1)
3/7/2005 12:37:02 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Roel

You could use Data Validation drop-down list for the selecting the product
name and VLOOKUP for adding the product number.

DV info at Debra Dalgleish's site.

Also VLOOKUP info.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlFunctions02.html

As far as the "autocomplete" goes, a regular DV drop-down will not function
this way.

To get autocomplete use a combination of DV and a ComboBox.

Data Validation Combobox-- Double-click on a cell that contains a data
validation list, and a combobox appears -- font size can be set, more than 8
rows displayed, and autocomplete can be enabled. Macros must be enabled.
DataValCombobox.xls 32 kb

http://www.contextures.on.ca/excelfiles.html#DataVal

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 04:37:02 -0800, "Roel" <Roel@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Let's say you have one sheet with a list of products.
>Column1 = product name
>Column2 = product number
>
>I would like to have a cell on Sheet2, where I can start typing something,
>and it would let me see a list based on what I typed so far.
>E.g when I type "Volks" it should show a list of all Volkswagen Cars.
>
>If I then choose the value, it should use this value and add the product
>number in the cell next to it.
>
>What function should I use, or how can I do this?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Roel

0
Gord

Searching for Newsgroups

Looking Up the First Nonzero Value in a Column
Hello everyone, I am looking for a function that can return the first nonzero value in a column. I have a table that has months across the top and down the leftmost column. The data in the table are balances as of each month, essentially. It looks like this: J F M A M J 1 F 2 1 M 3 2 1 A 4 3 2 1 M 5 4 3 2 1 Is there a way to say, "Look in the column labeled "F" and return the first nonzero number"? Then the cell below it will need to be the number directly below that first number, and so on. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks! Sincerely, T...

Search & replace in formulae

How do you add straight lines to a candlestick chart?
I created a candlestick chart for foreign exchange rates, but I want to add several horizontal lines indicating the high for the range (using formula MAX), the low for the range (using formula MIN) and an additional trade rate line (manual input) without having to manually draw the three lines each time. So for example, I would create a candlestick chart for Currency A within the past two weeks. Let's say the 2-week range is between 115 and 130, and the trade rate is 120. I want to automatically add horizontal lines at 130 and 115 (indicates the range) and a line at 120. This ...

Copying only the numerical values
Is it possible to have a summary worksheet in an Excel spreadsheet and then copy this worksheet on its own to another document but with the numerical values only? I have a worksheet which is a summary of various other Excel documents linked together. I wish to email this summary page with the numerical values only. I don't particularly want the file paths showing in the document I email - I just wish the numerical values - not the formulas which produce these values. Is this possible? Without going through complicated procedures. "SM" <theesel1994REMOVE@googlemail...

Search engine optimization

How to add a .jpg signature to entourage

Add-ons for CRM
Hi all!!! Does anyone know of any email and campaign management add-ons for CRM? Thanx Jan Axonom PowerTrack is supposed to be very good add-on, see link below http://www.axonom.com/pt_index.html ...

Historical Stock Close Value
I'm trying to get the Historical Closing Price of stocks. I recorded a macro that will download, and also found several scripts that will download historical info for stocks. However it downloads a table for the stock with "Open", "Hi", "Low", but I do not want the whole table, I only want the "Close" price. Is there a way to do this? I do this sort of thing often. If desired, send your file to my address below. I will only look if: 1. You send a copy of this message on an inserted sheet 2. You give me the newsgroup and the...

different values count
Hi, guys!!! need some help... each day i record one or more record at the end of the month I must count the working day of the mount counting only dates that are different. that is: 20/09/2004 abcabcabc 20/09/2004 abcabcabc 20/09/2004 abcbabcab 21/09/2004 abcbabcba 22/09/2004 abcababcb 22/09/2004 abababcba 23/09/2004 acbcbabcb working days = 4 (the 20, 21, 22 and 23) is there any function that count different values i'm coming crazy to solve this problem... thanks to you al -- ramalin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ramalina&#...

to add a row
i wanted to auto increment the number for the cells for which i have entered text already say 1)some text 2) some text 3) ------------- This is possible if i enter in an individual column by dragging it where i can fill the series wheras for the text already exising in the cell and i have to prefix nos can any one tell me whether can i do this? Offhand, I would say that you should use a text concatenation function for the text, prefixing "some text" with a number in a cell. E.g. =ROW(B9)&" " &B9 where row(cell) returns the row number and the...

Vlookup data wrong if the small value found are same
Dear Friends, I need to find the smallest 8 amounts from hundreds of data and look up the data of the corresponding amount. So I used the small function with referrence to the Rank column and found two -100,000.00 and each of them related to Joey and Keith. However, the vlookup function retrieved both data as Joey and lost Keith's Number and Name. Same problem occurs if retrieving the top 10 amounts with large function. Thanks for your great help in advance. Fanny Rank Amount Number Name 1 -156,250.00 8 John 2 -120,547.00 13 Peter 3 -103,100.00 541 Mary 4 -1...

excel VBA

retrieving maximum value from query
hi there, I have a table of the following schema build --------------------------- build_id AutoNumber build_date Date/Time label Text CL Number ---------------------------- for a simple query like SELECT build.CL FROM build; how can I apply a filter so that I only get the max CL value? thanks in advanced. SELECT Max(CL) FROM build If you want the details about the entry with the largest value, you could try: SELECT build_id, build_date, label, CL FROM build WHERE CL IN (Select Max(CL) FROM build) Recognize, of course, th...

Multiple fields using to search
Hi, Something i've been batteling for weeks with and theres probably such a simple answer to it and i just cant see it: Riiiight, i have this form (lets call it frmClientSearch) On this form i have a 2 list box thinghys; One called lstEmployee which is populated with Employee names and the other lstCity which is populated with City Names. Then i have a command button (cmdSearch) which, once click and values selected in both the lst boxes, should return only the values that are equal to both the lst boxes in a new form called frmSearchResult. (Hope i make sense) So... I know how ...

Filter out rows based on the value of a cell
Using Windows XP and Excel 2007 Would like to create a search box of sorts, where when I type a word into a specific cell, let's say B2, then the rows displayed filter out based on what I typed, so that only rows where column D equaled "Smith" for example, would show. It would also be helpful if I could select a value from a dropdown next to it determining which column would be checked for the filtering. For example, I type "Smith" in cell B2, and then select "Last Name" from the drop down so that the rows displayed are filtered by showing only rows where the...

Search, Search, Thanks
In the last couple of weeks I have been fighting with different ways o synching my laptop and my home pc. I have ended up with numerou duplicate entries, duplicate address books and duplicate contact lists ALL of my questions/problems I was able to resolve simply by searchin through the forums. Chances are if you have a problem you're not th first. There are some really good people on these forums that know alo more about Outlook than I do. Just my .02 Thank ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages dir...

Including imap folders in outlook 2003 search folders
Dear all, Is it possible to include imap accounts/folders as providers for "virtual" search folders in outlook 2003? At the moment, I only see the option to check folders in my personal folders but not to include imap folders. The reason that I ask is that I would like to be able to get a complete view of follow up tasks across all my accounts (1 pop3, 2 imap and 1 hotmail). Only the pop3 account gets delivered into the personal folders and is included in the follow up a nd unread search folders. Thanks for your help in advanced. Raj ...

Selecting Refedit value
Hi. I am using refedits and am selecting a range of cells...i.e. more than one cells. If I select a single cell then I can get the refedit value from the Range (Reedit1) or Range(RefEdit1).Cells(1).Value or RefEdit1.Value. I got this help from this user group itself. Now my criteria is changed and now i want to select values say for e.g. from $BO$304:$BQ$304. How can I extract the values into a variable???? Can it be done. thanks a lot Monika Monika, You can set a range or refer to a range according to the refedit value e.g. Dim rngInput as Range set rngInput = Range(Refedit1.Value)...

Display search results
Using OneNote 2010 Beta: file tabs are on the left; how can I make search result tabs appear on the right? Now they don't appear at all: the first search result is displayed in the middle of the screen (that's fine) but no way to move to the next search result, nor any way to scrool them all the search results. I'd like to see all the search result tabs listed on the right so I can choose the one I want (as was the case with the version of OneNote that got replaced by 2010 beta). Many thanks for any help. -- CH I can't really visualize what you want, but h...

Add SPF record to Public DNS zone or internal DNS server.
Hi All, I have added a SPF record to my internal DNS servers to prevent SPAM. However, we're still getting SPAM that looks like sent from our own domain. I tested it on DSNstuff and Openspf.org and no SPF record is found for our domain or mail server. My question is should I publish my SPF record to my ISP's DNS zone or my Windows DNS servers, or both? We hosts our own Exch server and have a MX and A record pointing to our mail server in ISP's DNS zone. Thanks Calvin Hi there, The SPF record needs to be in public DNS, not your internal zones. Create the SPF record on ...