How to make VLOOKUP work for this

I have a "master" spreadsheet where column A is a time column and every row
represents a second (in plain text format) such as 00:00, 00:01, 00:02....
00:59:, 01:00, 01:01, 01:02,... and continues on for 24 minutes... 23:59,
24:00.  (1442 rows).   Off to the side (I'm thinking of putting it on
another sheet though) I have a small table where I'll enter the time and
corresponding data I need populated in Column B, and will look something
like the following example;

My question(s) are, is the VLOOKUP function the best way to populate column
B with the values?  It's a real pain to scroll down through 1400+ rows just
to enter data in 8-12 cells.  And would the formula then be entered into
every cell in Column B???  I've been working with this but just can't seem
to get it to work.  I was reviewing other posts here about the VLOOKUP
function and I suspect I need more help than what I'm getting from Excels
built in or the MS on-line help.

Many thanks,
David

Example;

00:00  6
00:30  4
01:30  11
02:30  10
08:45  8
12:00  6
15:15  4
19:00  2

The times and the numeric values are a profile that can change from day to
day, so the next day might look like this;

00:00  8
01:45  11
03:00  9
08:00  6
13:15  4
15:45  2

0
DavidJ726 (42)
5/13/2006 2:53:08 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Yeah, just use it with a lookup type of TRUE

=VLOOKUP(A1,$K$1:$M$30,2,TRUE)

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"DavidJ726" <DavidJ726@hasnoaddress.com> wrote in message
> I have a "master" spreadsheet where column A is a time column and every
row
> represents a second (in plain text format) such as 00:00, 00:01, 00:02....
> 00:59:, 01:00, 01:01, 01:02,... and continues on for 24 minutes... 23:59,
> 24:00.  (1442 rows).   Off to the side (I'm thinking of putting it on
> another sheet though) I have a small table where I'll enter the time and
> corresponding data I need populated in Column B, and will look something
> like the following example;
>
> My question(s) are, is the VLOOKUP function the best way to populate
column
> B with the values?  It's a real pain to scroll down through 1400+ rows
just
> to enter data in 8-12 cells.  And would the formula then be entered into
> every cell in Column B???  I've been working with this but just can't seem
> to get it to work.  I was reviewing other posts here about the VLOOKUP
> function and I suspect I need more help than what I'm getting from Excels
> built in or the MS on-line help.
>
> Many thanks,
> David
>
> Example;
>
> 00:00  6
> 00:30  4
> 01:30  11
> 02:30  10
> 08:45  8
> 12:00  6
> 15:15  4
> 19:00  2
>
> The times and the numeric values are a profile that can change from day to
> day, so the next day might look like this;
>
> 00:00  8
> 01:45  11
> 03:00  9
> 08:00  6
> 13:15  4
> 15:45  2

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
5/13/2006 3:07:51 PM
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the response.  It works, sort of...  I had to change the
condition to FALSE so it would only return a value if it was an exact match.
Otherwise it was giving inaccurate results in all cells.  Also, is there a
way to supress the #N/A error message?  I'm looking at the IF ISERROR and
other search results, but not sure if that will work.

What the ideal situation would be, is if there was a way to enter the value
in the cells without having to have the formula in the cells.  My goal is to
reference those values in a chart with some other data and I'm not sure how
to do that yet with the formulas and error messages.  I've had to do
something like that in the past with IF statements (I think)... but I'll
cross that bridge when I get to it.

Thanks again,
David

"Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> Yeah, just use it with a lookup type of TRUE
>
> =VLOOKUP(A1,$K$1:$M$30,2,TRUE)
>
> --
>
> HTH
>
> Bob Phillips

> "DavidJ726" <DavidJ726@hasnoaddress.com> wrote in message
>> I have a "master" spreadsheet where column A is a time column and every
> row
>> represents a second (in plain text format) such as 00:00, 00:01,
>> 00:02....
>> 00:59:, 01:00, 01:01, 01:02,... and continues on for 24 minutes... 23:59,
>> 24:00.  (1442 rows).   Off to the side (I'm thinking of putting it on
>> another sheet though) I have a small table where I'll enter the time and
>> corresponding data I need populated in Column B, and will look something
>> like the following example;
>>
>> My question(s) are, is the VLOOKUP function the best way to populate
> column
>> B with the values?  It's a real pain to scroll down through 1400+ rows
> just
>> to enter data in 8-12 cells.  And would the formula then be entered into
>> every cell in Column B???  I've been working with this but just can't
>> seem
>> to get it to work.  I was reviewing other posts here about the VLOOKUP
>> function and I suspect I need more help than what I'm getting from Excels
>> built in or the MS on-line help.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> David
>>
>> Example;
>>
>> 00:00  6
>> 00:30  4
>> 01:30  11
>> 02:30  10
>> 08:45  8
>> 12:00  6
>> 15:15  4
>> 19:00  2
>>
>> The times and the numeric values are a profile that can change from day
>> day, so the next day might look like this;
>>
>> 00:00  8
>> 01:45  11
>> 03:00  9
>> 08:00  6
>> 13:15  4
>> 15:45  2

0
DavidJ726 (42)
5/13/2006 4:49:10 PM
David,

You would so that with

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,$K$1:$M$30,2,FALSE)),"",VLOOKUP(A1,$K$1:$M$30,2,TRUE))

but how would you find 1 sec, 2 secs etc. ? I assumed that your table had
batches of values, and they would match many to one.

The other way would need VBA code to achieve that, assuming that you mean
you will use those values in your chart.

--

> [...]
into
> >> every cell in Column B???  I've been working with this but just can't
> >> seem
> >> to get it to work.  I was reviewing other posts here about the VLOOKUP
> >> function and I suspect I need more help than what I'm getting from
Excels
> >> built in or the MS on-line help.
> >>
> >> Many thanks,
> >> David
> >>
> >> Example;
> >>
> >> 00:00  6
> >> 00:30  4
> >> 01:30  11
> >> 02:30  10
> >> 08:45  8
> >> 12:00  6
> >> 15:15  4
> >> 19:00  2
> >>
> >> The times and the numeric values are a profile that can change from day
> >> day, so the next day might look like this;

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)

Make Default

Payables check batch stuck in "Work"
I have a check batch that is stuck in "Work" status. I've read several of your responses here and have looked both in Print checks and in post checks but the batch is not available in either location. There are about 1000 invoices attached to this check batch (actually just 1 check) so I really need to get this figured out! Please advise There is a knowledgebase article about stuck batches. The old article id is 18064. The heading is "Unable To Post or Unmark a Batch For Posting." -- Charles Allen, MVP "Gwen Staples" wrote: > I have a check batc...

hyperlinks between excel and work when e-mailing
I have hyperlinks between cells in an Excel worksheet and text explanation of the cells in a Word document (the explanation are too voluminous for cells). Works great on my computer, but when I e-mail the files to others the path to the hyperlinks no longer work. Is there a way to have a "generic" path as long as the recipient put the files in one folder? ...

Vlookup
Basically I'm after a formula that can check two conditions befor returning the value of the nth occurance I specify. Specifically, I'm trying to automate the creation of a vendor repor that lists all vendor sales. I need a formula that, based on a uniqu vendor number, will: - check colomn A for the vendor number match - then check column B to see if there is a buyer number >0 (which mean that the item is sold) If these conditions are met I need it to dump the value that appears i column 8 of the 'nth' occurance I specify I've used vlookups to great effect before in...

making a transfer show up in the budget

making tickets

Custom Application performance dll : NOT working on Perfmon 2003
I have a performance dll which pulls up custom counters from my application as per the performance dll spec. It works fine with XP and shows values when invoked by perfmon. When my application is run on windows 2003 the perfmon of 2003 does not show any values. It shows "---" for values. If the same process that is running on win 2003 is monitored from a perfmon of XP it shows the right values. Any ideas as to what could be wrong. Thanks in advance ...

Rules that don't work-OL2007
Is MS ever going to put out a version of OL in which rules actually work? I just upgraded to Office OL2007 from Office OL2003, thinking that one of the benefits would be that my rules would start doing what they're supposed to. Hmm. I have a rules that work fine if I see that a subject message has gotten through, and I manually run the rule, but the rule(s) don't do their stuff automatically when the message arrives. I've been very careful about ordering the rules, so I'm certain that the rules are executed in the correct order. Doesn't matter. Are OL rules just a...

AN OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE $$$

How to make VLOOKUP work for this

Link for invite not working
Exchange 2003 sp2 When a user opens an appointment in OWA the url given for the appointment does not work. Example of the URl: http://servername/exchange/username/calendar/lunch-10.EML?cmd=open ...

Make Personal Calendar Read Only

OWA not working.
Hi, I have an exchange system, where i have created a new website under IIS .After configuration of the new website i am able get it from the URL , but the problem it that before the starting of the new website, the OWA is working from the URL by giving "http://computername/exchange",now it is not working at all from the URl. If i come under IIS -->default website --->exchange and give browse it is showing the OWA of administrator.and If i stop the new website, the OWA is getting fr...

Sub bullets not working Word 2007
I have a user who clicks on her bullet button, enters her data, Enters to move to the next line, then tabs to create a sub bullet. However, she doesn't get a sub bullet. Her cursor moves to indent, but the bullet doesn't promote. I don't have this problem on my machine. Any ideas? Thanks for your thoughts. Ask the user to do the following: Click the Office button, and then click Word Options. In the Proofing category, click AutoCorrect Options. On the AutoFormat As You Type tab, select "Set left and first indent with tabs and backspaces." Click OK...

Making a bmp transparent
Using Publisher 2000 Windows 98SE Is it possible to make a graphic file transparent? I'm attempting to create a motivational cartoon and would like to have a couple of scenes in the background. To do this I think I need to make an image file transparent. Can it be done? I have Paint Shop Pro and MS Paint. I have the challenge in the file, "Problem.zip" which can be downloaded at: http://www.tinyurl.com/wifs On the "Odds, Ends & Funny Things page. Click on the Snowman. 'Appreciate the help. -- Don -------- Vancouver, USA - One of the great cities in one of...

How to make Frames??
how to make frames in microsoft publisher??? You use the Tool called TEXT FRAME Pretty easy I would have thought - obviously a challenge for some. -- i try to find in tool section.. but there is no button called TEXT FRAME? can u tell me the steps! PLZ!! Thankx.. and one more question.. i would link some sites... but i want that link(site) to be pop up in new window.? how to do it??? i've been trying to find it.. but then it always pop up in same window.. and could u tell me the steps?? plz. Thanzk Trust me, there is most definitely a button called Text Frame. Look in the HEL...

How to make this report simple? Thanks
How to combine all items to be read better? I mean just now I have 3 products however to each of theme are the same items / Rqst, EG, SP, EG-SP/ and I would like to meka it simplier. July2006 August2005 Group1 Group2 Group3 Group1 Group2 product1 Rqst 4301 0 250 120 75 EG 3560 0 150 80 100 SP 3200 0 120 40 50 EG-SP 360 0 65 30 200 product2 Rqst 100 150 EG SP EG-SP product3 Rqst EG SP EG-SP Thanks a lot for any kind of info. Juraj / mer68@zmail.sk ...

Outlook Rules work sporatically
I will try to be thorough, my Outlook rules, work on occasion. The rules are setup up to move emails from my inbox to other personal folders I have created, but at times they work, at times they don't. I have erased all of the rules and recreated them and the problem still persists, any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you Corky Is it possible that multiple rules are acting on a single message, producing results that are not what you intended? If so, try adding "stop processing more rules" to your rules and see if that helps. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** ...

making lines around info so it looks like a table when printed or viewed
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) How do I put horizontal and vertical lines around all the cells so it looks like a table? Display the Toolbox by hitting the Toolbox button. Activate the Formatting Palette (upper left button) then chose Borders and Shading. Make sure you select the cels you want to format.... <br><br>make your choice in de button that has &quot;type:&quot; in front of it. Done Thank you I have been successfully making borders in all my excel worksheets but since the latest update, the palette in excel no longer works. At firs...