How to make use of excel (2003) drop down box value in cell callculations

How can I make a cell function that would use the value selected by user
from a drop box?

pekka

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Just refer to the cell itself. For instance, if the DD is in H1,

=H1*10

or

=IF(H1="Y","red","blue")

--
HTH

Bob

"Pekka Siiskonen" <pekka_news@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> How can I make a cell function that would use the value selected by user
> from a drop box?
>
> pekka

0
bob.NGs1 (1661)
4/30/2007 7:48:21 AM
I should have been more precise -- sorry:

I'm referring to a drop box (or combo box) that needs to have the excel
macros enabled if I desire to select a value from the list. If I choose not
to enable macros while opening the xls, the drop box appears as a bitmap
with:

    =EMBED("Forms.ComboBox.1";"")

at the formula bar. It works much the way the "Validation command" under
data menu but it has no "cell value" as such. Also it always shows the
control button for opening the list of possible values.

It is -- I think -- a visual basic control. It has its values from a column
of cells "hidden" elsewhere on the sheet (like validation command has).

The boxes cannot be copy/pasted by: Edit-> select all -> copy -> paste if
the sheet was opened macros enabled. If it was opened macros disabled I can
copy the "image" and it will appear pasted as a working combo box with the
selected value active but no other values are in the list.

I need to export the selected values and all other data on the original
sheet to another program without typing in the drop box values by hand.

I'm _not_ handy with visual basic.

pekka

"Bob Phillips" <bob.ngs@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> Just refer to the cell itself. For instance, if the DD is in H1,
>
> =H1*10
>
> or
>
> =IF(H1="Y","red","blue")
>
> --
> HTH
>
> Bob
>
> (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my
addy)

> "Pekka Siiskonen" <pekka_news@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > How can I make a cell function that would use the value selected by user
> > from a drop box?
> >
> > pekka

I used xl2003 to test this.

I put a combobox from the control toolbox toolbar on a worksheet and assigned a
linkedcell and listfillrange.  I didn't have any macros in my workbook's project
and I closed and reopened the workbook and it worked fine.

If I had any macro in the project and disabled the macros, then the workbook
opened in design mode (and I couldn't toggle out of it).  But the combobox
stayed a combobox.

But I could hit ctrl-a (a few times) to select all and I could paste into a new
worksheet in a new workbook and that pasted combobox worked fine.

I guess the next questions are:

What version of excel are you using?

And what are you trying to do?  If you're opening the workbook in code, maybe
you can enable macros, but stop the workbook_open event from firing????

--

Dave Peterson
0

Excel files are arriving as e-mail attachments. I'm digging the Excel
workbooks from IIS maildata 'drop' folder's eml-files using perl. I have so
far succeded in extracting the excel workbooks and also the data from within
the Excel workbook sheets w. perl 5 except the damned combo boxes. Hence
I've opened the extracted Excel-files with Excel 2003. What I saw is what I
described earlier. The same happens if I open the eml-files with Outlook and
then use Excel, so the extraction process should not be the cause of the
problem.

The sender of Excel-files is changing the combo boxes into something more
plain, but I just got myself jammed with the thing and desired to solve the
case by trying to find a way of opening the excel workbooks and extracting
the data semi-manually with a excel macro or something. I'm a bit puzzled as
why the excel workbooks insist on me enabling the macros if there is nothing
visible there: opening the tools->macro->macros displays _no_ macros from
the sheets. It might be that the spam/virus detecting software in my
workstation is jamming the workbook_open event -- yet that should rather
prevent the macros from getting hidden.. Ah, I don't know..

Anyway -- this is just a nice to know thing really -- but I just got this
urge to solve... Thanks for the effort. I just hate to give up!

pekka

> I used xl2003 to test this.
>
> I put a combobox from the control toolbox toolbar on a worksheet and
assigned a
> linkedcell and listfillrange.  I didn't have any macros in my workbook's
project
> and I closed and reopened the workbook and it worked fine.
>
> If I had any macro in the project and disabled the macros, then the
workbook
> opened in design mode (and I couldn't toggle out of it).  But the combobox
> stayed a combobox.
>
> But I could hit ctrl-a (a few times) to select all and I could paste into
a new
> worksheet in a new workbook and that pasted combobox worked fine.
>
> I guess the next questions are:
>
> What version of excel are you using?
>
> And what are you trying to do?  If you're opening the workbook in code,
maybe
> you can enable macros, but stop the workbook_open event from firing????
>

> Pekka Siiskonen wrote:
> >
> > I should have been more precise -- sorry:
> >
> > I'm referring to a drop box (or combo box) that needs to have the excel
> > macros enabled if I desire to select a value from the list. If I choose
not
> > to enable macros while opening the xls, the drop box appears as a bitmap
> > with:
> >
> >     =EMBED("Forms.ComboBox.1";"")
> >
> > at the formula bar. It works much the way the "Validation command" under
> > data menu but it has no "cell value" as such. Also it always shows the
> > control button for opening the list of possible values.
> >
> > It is -- I think -- a visual basic control. It has its values from a
column
> > of cells "hidden" elsewhere on the sheet (like validation command has).
> >
> > The boxes cannot be copy/pasted by: Edit-> select all -> copy -> paste
if
> > the sheet was opened macros enabled. If it was opened macros disabled I
can
> > copy the "image" and it will appear pasted as a working combo box with
the
> > selected value active but no other values are in the list.
> >
> > I need to export the selected values and all other data on the original
> > sheet to another program without typing in the drop box values by hand.
> >
> > I'm _not_ handy with visual basic.
> >
> > pekka
> >
> > "Bob Phillips" <bob.ngs@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> > > Just refer to the cell itself. For instance, if the DD is in H1,
> > >
> > > =H1*10
> > >
> > > or
> > >
> > > =IF(H1="Y","red","blue")
> > >
> > > --
> > > HTH
> > >
> > > Bob
> > >
> > > (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my
> > addy)
> > >
> > > "Pekka Siiskonen" <pekka_news@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

Are you sure that you don't have macros--excel will think that you do if you
have empty modules, too.

Debra Dalgleish shows how to clean up all the remnants of macros:
http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqMac.html#NoMacros

--

Dave Peterson
0

How do you delete a file in Excel's VB?
Not much more to ask than that. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Tino Tino, Use the Kill command to permanently delete a file. For example, Kill "C:\temp\book1.xls" Note that Kill does not put the file in the Recycle Bin. To delete a file to the Recycle Bin, see www.cpearson.com/excel/recycle.htm . -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com <tanast@ing.com.au> wrote in message news:3fce6904.5614763@news.clari.net.au... > Not much more to ask than that. > > Any help would be much appreciated. ...

VS Debug Mobile
Hi, When I'm writing mobile apps in vb.net and want to F5 to deploy and run in debug, I'd like to force the device's internet connection to be the one used rather than the PC's internet connection. Active Sync & Windows Mobile Device Center don't seem to offer that as a configuration choice. I want to be able to debug in VS on the PC while the app runs on the device and uses it's internet connection. I've tried both Work Connection and Internet, Automatic for "the computer is connected to" setting. Please suggest solutions. ...

Make Default

How do I delete pages in Excel? Keeps printing blank pages at end.
I'm printing charts in Excel. Some of them are adding blank pages at the end of the charts. How do I get rid of these? Several ways: 1) Change the location of the chart to have its own sheet. Do this by right clicking the chart, go to "Location" and putting it on it's own sheet. Then you should be able to print it by itself without any white stuff. 2) Make sure that the page breaks are defined well. Go to View -> Page Break Preview . From there, you can move around the blue lines to determine your page breaks. Then, when you're printing it, make sure that you c...

Proper use of ON_CONTROL
Im working on a custom control but I can't make heads or tails out of how to use this macro to map the messages the control sends. According to MSDN, this is the proper syntax: ON_CONTROL( wNotifyCode, id, memberFxn ) Parameters wNotifyCode The notification code of the control. id The command ID. memberFxn The name of the message-handler function to which the command is mapped. From what little i have been able to piece together through the MSDN website, these forums, and the documentation that came with VC++, it seems like I should be using WM_COMMAND as the wNotifyCode, and ...

Combo Box problem 02-15-10
Hi I have 3 tables and 3 associated forms in an 2007 access database. On each form is a combo box "Name Search" so that one can input 2 or 3 letters of a surname and get a drop down list of names matching the input. All three Combo Boxes were set up in an identical manner using the wizard. The Main Menu has three buttons where you choose which table (or dbase) you wish to query. I now have a situation where 2 of the 3 combo boxes will not accept input (i.e. do not work) If I copy the Row Source from the one combo box that always works to one of the other two...

Excel VB application
I am working on a VB script with the goal to import data from a raw file (using userforms) into the spreadsheet. Is it possible to develop this in Excel AND create it as an EXE file? Thank you in advance for any help. NJ Excel cannot produce executable (EXE) files. -- Rick (MVP - Excel) "Neil Jones" <nj@dev.null> wrote in message news:#hiTBqB6KHA.5464@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > I am working on a VB script with the goal to import data from a raw file > (using userforms) into the spreadsheet. Is it possible to develop this > in Excel AND creat...

How can I create a formla using date ranges
How can I create a formula that will do this: = IF cell A2 ="m" and if cell D2 is between 5/19/06 and 6/20/06 than cell E2 ="June" + if A2 = "m" and D2 is between 6/21/06 and 7/18/06 than E2 = "July" and so on? This is the formula I used: =AND(A2="m")*IF(D2=38854:38888,"June")+AND(A2="m")*IF(D2=38889:38916,"July") I either get an #Value!, or some other error. Please help! If June / July is your only concern, then: =if( A2 <> "m", ___whatever happens if A2 is not m____, if( and(D2>3885...

Fill the below blank cells
Hi, I just copied an pivot data and pasted it in different Sheet. I needed to fill the cells that was blank with the data above each set of blank cells.. Day VendorName VehicleType VehicleNo StartTime 1 ATL B 1246 18:00 22:38 1558 12:30 1815 4:27 6:00 7:00 7:30 12:55 7915 16:00 20:30 22:30 8037 1:00 5:30 7:00 9583 0:00 3:45 I can solve this by dragging the data down but I have do it at least 4000 times... Is there any formula to this...?! Thanks in advance Vinod Highlight the columns A to E by clicking ...

Hook type to use
I need to prevent HQ from changing the primary supplier at the store level. We have stores in multiple states....they often carry the same items but will get them from different suppliers. However, if a primary supplier is changed in HQ and a 250 then processed for one store, if I ever process a 250 for that item and send it to another store, it will change its primary supplier. Will Hook: 10 SaveSupplier allow me to prevent 250's from overwriting primary supplier for each store? Hooks only work within POS and SO Manager. There are no HQ Hooks, and I don't believe that HQClien...

conditional formatting #value!
Hi Is it possible to create a conditional formatting condition that can detect the condition of #VALUE! ? That is NOT the text string but the "error condition". What I am trying to highlight is that certain calculated values have not been correctly calculated on the sheet and need further investigation. Thanks Clive Hi Clive, Use the 'Formula Is' option on the conditional formating dialog and enter the following, assuming the cells is A1. =ERROR.TYPE(A1)=3 You can also use the Go To dialog (CTRL+G), Special... to locate cells with Errors. Cheers Andy Clive Long...

verify that an email was read without using a receipt
I'm trying to check to see if there is away that a message was read by the receiver that did not send a read receipt. In news:20181391-62B0-4CFD-95D6-C2323D435B06@microsoft.com, RCNellis <RCNellis@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > I'm trying to check to see if there is away that a message was read > by the receiver that did not send a read receipt. Ask them, or see whether they did the thing that you asked them to do in the message you sent. :) ...

leave a cell blank
My spreadsheet serves 2 purposes. Printed and manually filled out plus data entry. The cells with formulas show a 0 (zero) if the referenced cells are empty. The problem is the user has the option to ignore the formula and hard code a figure. If a formula = 0, is there a way to hide that zero so when I print the form it's blank for the user? thanks! You could turn off viewing zeros at Tools>Options>View. Or you could trap for the 0 and leave cell looking blank. =IF(A1*B1=0,"",A1*B1) If you are interested in keeping the user from over-writing a formula, see hel...

making a transfer show up in the budget

how do I set up outlook for home use?
How do I set up my microsoft outlook e-mail for home use? Contact your ISP for your mail account settings (or import them from Outlook Express if you have it setup there.) Install your profile and account settings and you are good to go. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, dauexghouse asked: | How do I set up my microsoft outlook e-mail for home use? ...

Organizing workbooks using file folders
Hi I need some some help with organizing workbooks. If anyone can give me an idea about how to organize workbooks through file folders, I would appreciate it Hi ~X Could you be a bit more specific please? What is that you need to do -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

How do you change cells with formula's to the value or text?
In lotus it is possible to change the formula in a cell to the text or the number that that formula returns. Of course, you can not reverse it, but in is very helpful sometimes. Is that possible in Excel CTRL + ~ will toggle between formulas and values -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference ----------------------------------------------------------------------------...

Reversing name values in a field
Hi, I have a field called CustomerName that has values that are last name, first name. So there is a value of Smith, John which is John Smith. I want to preserve the value in this field but create a new field called CustomerName1 that has John Smith in it. It would need to somehow reverse the values based on the comma delimeter and then get rid of the comma. Can someone help? Thanks, -- Chuck W LN = Left$(CustomerName, InStr(CustomerName, ",") - 1) FN = Right$(CustomerName, Len(CustomerName) - InStr(CustomerName, ",")) -Dorian "ChuckW" wrote:...

Custom Application performance dll : NOT working on Perfmon 2003
I have a performance dll which pulls up custom counters from my application as per the performance dll spec. It works fine with XP and shows values when invoked by perfmon. When my application is run on windows 2003 the perfmon of 2003 does not show any values. It shows "---" for values. If the same process that is running on win 2003 is monitored from a perfmon of XP it shows the right values. Any ideas as to what could be wrong. Thanks in advance ...

Using a COUNTIF statement with an AND operator
I'm using Excel 2003 so I hope I'm not limited here. We are performing a space usage survey and I need to compile the data results. Each location has 70 entries over the course of 10 days. I have a column for "group work" where the value is either 1 or 0. I have another column for # of people observed in a particular office. What I'm trying to do is the following: Get a count of instances where "# of people" = 1 and "group work" = 0 I'm doing a lot of countif statements, but I don't see how to do a countif with an and operato...

Use the propertyInfo to setValues
Hello. I am using the propertyInfo type. dim pi as propertyInfo pi = myClass.getType().getProperty("myPropertyName", BindingFlags.Public Or BindingFlags.Instance) myPropertyName may be any property, such as borderLevel, etc. I want to set myPropertyName to a specific value, as propertyGrid does (I mean - by sending it a string). I see there are methods : getGetMethod, and getSetMethod - Are those method the property editors ? Can I use those method to solve the problem ? How can I do that ? Thanks :) On 21/06/2010 13:45, Mr. X. wrote: > I am using...

Exchange 2003 Transaction logs
Ahh the joys of being an Exchange 2k3 newbie... I am trying to purge about 20 gig of commited transaction logs by running a full backup using NTBACKUP.EXE. I have a couple of Exchange books that say that this should work. I have now run three full backups but none of the logs have been pruged. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance, Rand Soper are you certain these are transaction log files? where are they located, and what are they named? 20 gigabytes of transaction log files is an awful lot...sounds like maybe they are message tracking logs, instead... "Rand Soper&qu...

variable for current owner? (want to use to create new "My" view)
I want to create a new view which is just like "My Active Contacts" but with an additional filter criteria. I want the results to vary by user. So instead of creating separate views for each user (Tom's Active Contacts in MA), it would change itself per user and the new view would be "My Active Contacts in MA". The results would be all active contacts in MA who are owned by the current user. How do I specify to use the current user in the Filter criteria? All help much appreciated! -Sarah In the View editing window (Settings > System Customization > Con...