How to get two different grouped pivot tables from the same data table?

Hi,

I have one data sheet that looks like this:

Date                             Value (=80)
2008-02-01                    450
..
..
..
2009-06-03

From the data sheet (Data) I have created a pivot table grouped by
months and years (Pivot 1) with the sum of value. That is no problem.
But later when I create one more sheet where I want the data to be
grouped by weeks (Pivot 2) the grouping changes in Pivot 1 to weeks
too.

Does anyone know how to get around this? How can you get for example
get one pivot graph showing the sum per week and one per month in the
same Excel file using grouping on dates?

Help with this much appreciated.

/Daniel
Sweden

excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Wow -- looks buggy to me!

<daniel.bash@gmail.com> wrote in message
Hi,

I have one data sheet that looks like this:

Date                             Value (�)
2008-02-01                    450
..
..
..
2009-06-03

From the data sheet (Data) I have created a pivot table grouped by
months and years (Pivot 1) with the sum of value. That is no problem.
But later when I create one more sheet where I want the data to be
grouped by weeks (Pivot 2) the grouping changes in Pivot 1 to weeks
too.

Does anyone know how to get around this? How can you get for example
get one pivot graph showing the sum per week and one per month in the
same Excel file using grouping on dates?

Help with this much appreciated.

/Daniel
Sweden

0
rumlas (268)
6/3/2009 6:58:12 PM
On Jun 4, 4:34=A0am, daniel.b...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have one data sheet that looks like this:
>
> Date =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Value (=80)
> 2008-02-01 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0450
> .
> .
> .
> 2009-06-03
>
> From the data sheet (Data) I have created a pivot table grouped by
> months and years (Pivot 1) with the sum of value. That is no problem.
> But later when I create one more sheet where I want the data to be
> grouped by weeks (Pivot 2) the grouping changes in Pivot 1 to weeks
> too.
>
> Does anyone know how to get around this? How can you get for example
> get one pivot graph showing the sum per week and one per month in the
> same Excel file using grouping on dates?
>
> Help with this much appreciated.
>
> /Daniel
> Sweden

Daniel,

I'm not sure if this is the answer to your question but...

In Excel 2003 when you create a second pivot from the data sheet you
are asked if you want base the new Pivot Table on the original to save
memory.
If you do this then the two pivot tables will be linked.

If you answer NO to that question then a new pivot table will be
created independent of the first.

if that doesnt work you could create another sheet that mirrors your
original and base your new pivot table on that...its ugly but it would
work.

HTH

Regards

David

0
dheaton (109)
6/3/2009 9:45:46 PM
On Jun 3, 11:45=A0pm, David Heaton <dhea...@stanleyworks.com.au> wrote:
> On Jun 4, 4:34=A0am, daniel.b...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> > Hi,
>
> > I have one data sheet that looks like this:
>
> > Date =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Value (=80=
)
> > 2008-02-01 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0450
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > 2009-06-03
>
> > From the data sheet (Data) I have created a pivot table grouped by
> > months and years (Pivot 1) with the sum of value. That is no problem.
> > But later when I create one more sheet where I want the data to be
> > grouped by weeks (Pivot 2) the grouping changes in Pivot 1 to weeks
> > too.
>
> > Does anyone know how to get around this? How can you get for example
> > get one pivot graph showing the sum per week and one per month in the
> > same Excel file using grouping on dates?
>
> > Help with this much appreciated.
>
> > /Daniel
> > Sweden
>
> Daniel,
>
> I'm not sure if this is the answer to your question but...
>
> In Excel 2003 when you create a second pivot from the data sheet you
> are asked if you want base the new Pivot Table on the original to save
> memory.
> If you do this then the two pivot tables will be linked.
>
> If you answer NO to that question then a new pivot table will be
> created independent of the first.
>
> if that doesnt work you could create another sheet that mirrors your
> original and base your new pivot table on that...its ugly but it would
> work.
>
> HTH
>
> Regards
>
> David

Dear David,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, indeed it seems like the pivot tables are linked. I am using
Excel 2007, and it does not prompt me if I want to base the new pivot
on the original. It just creates a new pivot table in a new sheet.

I will try the 2nd option and report back.

/Daniel
Hi,

this is not a bug.  In 2003 you are asked if you want to use the same cache
when you build a second pivot table from the first one's data range.  If you
want to group two pivot tables differently, as you say, then just choose a
different cache.

However, the solution is the similar in 2007, but with a little twist -
Instead of choosing Insert, PivotTable, with the data range selected press
Alt+D+P and you will be in the 2003 pivot table wizard, proceed throught the
steps (you won't be asked about what Cache to use), when you finish, the
pivot table will be using a different cache and you will be able to group it
differently without affecting the other PT.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"daniel.bash@gmail.com" wrote:

> On Jun 3, 11:45 pm, David Heaton <dhea...@stanleyworks.com.au> wrote:
> > On Jun 4, 4:34 am, daniel.b...@gmail.com wrote:
> >

> > > Hi,
> >
> > > I have one data sheet that looks like this:
> >
> > > Date                             Value (€)
> > > 2008-02-01                    450
> > > .
> > > .
> > > .
> > > 2009-06-03
> >
> > > From the data sheet (Data) I have created a pivot table grouped by
> > > months and years (Pivot 1) with the sum of value. That is no problem.
> > > But later when I create one more sheet where I want the data to be
> > > grouped by weeks (Pivot 2) the grouping changes in Pivot 1 to weeks
> > > too.
> >
> > > Does anyone know how to get around this? How can you get for example
> > > get one pivot graph showing the sum per week and one per month in the
> > > same Excel file using grouping on dates?
> >
> > > Help with this much appreciated.
> >
> > > /Daniel
> > > Sweden
> >
> > Daniel,
> >
> > I'm not sure if this is the answer to your question but...
> >
> > In Excel 2003 when you create a second pivot from the data sheet you
> > are asked if you want base the new Pivot Table on the original to save
> > memory.
> > If you do this then the two pivot tables will be linked.
> >
> > If you answer NO to that question then a new pivot table will be
> > created independent of the first.
> >
> > if that doesnt work you could create another sheet that mirrors your
> > original and base your new pivot table on that...its ugly but it would
> > work.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > David
>
> Dear David,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Yes, indeed it seems like the pivot tables are linked. I am using
> Excel 2007, and it does not prompt me if I want to base the new pivot
> on the original. It just creates a new pivot table in a new sheet.
>
> I will try the 2nd option and report back.
>
> /Daniel

On Jun 4, 5:55=A0am, Shane Devenshire
<ShaneDevensh...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this is not a bug. =A0In 2003 you are asked if you want to use the same c=
ache
> when you build a second pivot table from the first one's data range. =A0I=
f you
> want to group two pivot tables differently, as you say, then just choose =
> different cache.
>
> However, the solution is the similar in 2007, but with a little twist -
> Instead of choosing Insert, PivotTable, with the data range selected pres=
> Alt+D+P and you will be in the 2003 pivot table wizard, proceed throught =
the
> steps (you won't be asked about what Cache to use), when you finish, the
> pivot table will be using a different cache and you will be able to group=
 it
> differently without affecting the other PT.
>
> --
> If this helps, please click the Yes button.
>
> Cheers,
> Shane Devenshire
>

> "daniel.b...@gmail.com" wrote:

> > > Daniel,
>
> > > I'm not sure if this is the answer to your question but...
>
> > > In Excel 2003 when you create a second pivot from the data sheet you
> > > are asked if you want base the new Pivot Table on the original to sav=
> > > memory.
> > > If you do this then the two pivot tables will be linked.
>
> > > If you answer NO to that question then a new pivot table will be
> > > created independent of the first.
>
> > > if that doesnt work you could create another sheet that mirrors your
> > > original and base your new pivot table on that...its ugly but it woul=
> > > work.
>
> > > HTH
>
> > > Regards
>
> > > David
>
> > Dear David,
>
> > Thanks for your reply.
>
> > Yes, indeed it seems like the pivot tables are linked. I am using
> > Excel 2007, and it does not prompt me if I want to base the new pivot
> > on the original. It just creates a new pivot table in a new sheet.
>
> > I will try the 2nd option and report back.
>
> > /Daniel- Hide quoted text -

Dear Shane,

Thank you very much! This works great!

Is it possible to access the 2003 pivot guide from the menus in 2007?
The reason why I am asking is because at work I have English Excel and
at home I have Swedish. Unfortunately not all the keyboard shortcuts
are the same.

Have  a nice day!

/Daniel
Hi,

I presume you mean the ribbon?  The answer is no, but you can add a button
to the QAT to launch the 2003 pivot table wizard.  Press Alt+1, choose
Customize, pick Commands not in the ribbon from the top left dropdown, find
the button called PivotTable and PivotChart Wizard and add it.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"daniel.bash@gmail.com" wrote:

> On Jun 4, 5:55 am, Shane Devenshire
> <ShaneDevensh...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > this is not a bug.  In 2003 you are asked if you want to use the same cache
> > when you build a second pivot table from the first one's data range.  If you
> > want to group two pivot tables differently, as you say, then just choose a
> > different cache.
> >
> > However, the solution is the similar in 2007, but with a little twist -
> > Instead of choosing Insert, PivotTable, with the data range selected press
> > Alt+D+P and you will be in the 2003 pivot table wizard, proceed throught the
> > steps (you won't be asked about what Cache to use), when you finish, the
> > pivot table will be using a different cache and you will be able to group it
> > differently without affecting the other PT.
> >
> > --
> > If this helps, please click the Yes button.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Shane Devenshire

> > > Dear David,
> >
> > > Thanks for your reply.
> >
> > > Yes, indeed it seems like the pivot tables are linked. I am using
> > > Excel 2007, and it does not prompt me if I want to base the new pivot
> > > on the original. It just creates a new pivot table in a new sheet.
> >
> > > I will try the 2nd option and report back.
> >
> > > /Daniel- Hide quoted text -

> Dear Shane,
>
> Thank you very much! This works great!
>
> Is it possible to access the 2003 pivot guide from the menus in 2007?
> The reason why I am asking is because at work I have English Excel and
> at home I have Swedish. Unfortunately not all the keyboard shortcuts
> are the same.
>
> Have  a nice day!
>
> /Daniel

Remove BP tables from Dynamics database
I have a client who is currently running GP 8. I will be upgrading them to GP 10. Back when GP 8 was installed they installed but never used BP. So now the Dynamics database has BP tables in it. I want to completely remove all the BP 2.5 tables so that when I come along to install BP for GP 10 it does not run into any of those old useless BP tables. What is the best way to remove all of the old BP tables? The article 862544 in CustomerSource below includes scripts that should remove the BP SQL objects How to remove Business Portal 2.x https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KbDisplay....

Reflecting info between an excel file and a word one or two excel file.
I have an Excel file that I use as a database with the dates of the time when my company does the maintenance of our electronics tools (we work in an industry that uses them a lot, we have around 200 in an Excel file). So the documents look as follows (the images are copied and edited in paint, that's why they look kinda weird). They are next to each other; I divided it here in order to fit it to word's format (it's in Spanish, there's no need for you to understand what it says anyway): Go to www.caladeamerica.com.ar/1st file.jpg please and see it. We do the maintenance of...

Static Range, Dynamic Chart Data
I have read some great tips on making my chart dynamic that involv changing the range. The chart I would like to create is a 12 month lin chart. I want the chart to always be 12 months in length, but the poin to simply not be plotted if the value of the cell "blank". In othe words, stop the line short of the end of the plot area. The 12 months of charted cells have a formula lik =IF(A1=0,"",SUM(A1:A6)). So you see a blank cell if A1 is 0. But th chart shows this as a zero value. If I delete the contents the char does what I would like. Is there a way to simply change the ...

Restrict spreadsheet to data entry only
Fairly new to Excel. Once I've set up the structure of my spreadsheet, and entered the formulae for calculated cells etc, how can I ensure that the spreadsheet is used just for data entry and that the structure cannot be altered in any way? TIA You can use protection. You need to go to every cell you want for data entry and unprotect tha cell. You can select multiple cells... right mouse click... Then hi format cells... The last tab says protection, select it and click th check box to unprotect these items. Now you can then in the menu bar hit Tools... Protection... and the Protect...

Keeping Sent Items in sync across two PCs
I asked this question a few days ago in the microsoft.public.outlook.general forum but didn't get any replies, so I thought I'd try here instead... I have two computers, and both use Outlook 2000 for email. I don not use an Exchange server - email is by POP3/SMTP. Both computers collect the same email by POP3, and are set up to leave messages on the server for 30 days so nothing is missed on either PC. This works well, but the only problem is that when I send an email, it is only in the Sent Items fold of the PC that I used to send the email. Is there a way to 'copy' group...

A Crystal Beginner

Likert scale calculation
I have used the following table in my survey: Frequency of use - check which on is applicable: every few hours every few mins every few secs item1 item2 item3 .. .. .. item10 so the sample data looks like this: id item1 item 2 ............. item10 1 hours hrs ................. mins 2 secs hrs ................. mins 3 mins hrs ................. mins I want to add up the hours secs mins for each item..for example (from the above sample): ev...

Keeping data without losing Formula's
I have a worksheet (named monthly) with a column of data under a certain month (which will change each time data is entered - stocktake). However this column needs to be edited each month and has formula's in it so it will work (not always the same data in the column). I decided to put this data into a yearly sheet under the particular month. The only way I can do it at the moment is to copy and paste special. How do I (or is there a way to) put this data in a sheet that has all the months but under the month that is signified. In other words I don't want formula's in the yearl...

Get paid while you get online!!

Pivot Table with MS Access as DataSource
Hello all. Thanks for the help in advance. I am trying to use a UNC to pull data from a MS Access database as a external datasource for a pivot table in MS Excel 2003. I can actively pull the data, since I have a network drive mapped to the location, but others who have the drive mapped to another letter are unable to open the document and refresh. I am trying to figure out the best way to create this pivot table utilizing the shared network UNC. Please help! Regards, Me Hello, I would use a SQL query to pull the data out of the Access db. Then everyone can push...

Add new record using first available non-numeric ID; update two ta
Access 2003, Windows XP Pro SP2 I have two tables, tblDed and tblVendor. tblDed contains two columns (DedID and Avail). The first column contains a list of all DedIDs allowed to be used. The second is a Yes/No choice indicating whether or not that DedID has been used already. tblVendor contains multiple columns with misc. data relevant to the Vendor. I want to create a form that will accomplish three things: 1. Use the next available unused DedID when a command button on a referring menu page (frmMenu, btnNew) is pressed. 2. Mark the now-used DedID in tblDed as "No" - no ...

Check Box Grouping
Hello, When I group on a check box field, I get duplicate records. Would anyone know why this would happen? Ellen What happens if you change your Grouping and Sorting expression to: =IIf([YourYNFieldName],"A","B") -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "EllenM" wrote: > Hello, > When I group on a check box field, I get duplicate records. Would anyone > know why this would happen? > > Ellen Why would you group on a check box? I would think you would apply criteria only to get either Yes or No's. Post your que...

Spreadsheet getting corrupted

Version differences
I have two versions of the same database and I would like to find out which object from each database is more recent. If frmA has been more recently modified in one database then I want to know the date of modification of frmA in each. Does anyone know of an app or technique which will examine two (or maybe more) access databases and provide output to show such differences? -- Len ______________________________________________________ remove nothing for valid email address. If you open the databases side-by-side and set the details on, you will be able to see the latest...

CRM 3.0 Upgraded Failed, AD Groups gone
I was upgrading to 3.0 (w2k3 sp1 and SQL 2005 on same machine, Exchange 2003 sp1) and it failed with the following error: ************ Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.InstallDatabaseAction failed. Login 'distributor_admin' owns one or more database(s). Change the owner of the database(s) before dropping the login. Changed database context to 'master'. Changed database context to 'NorthAmerica_MSCRM'. ************ After rebooting, the Repair option fails with "One or more Microsoft CRM groups were not specified". The help reveals the following solution: ...

Table of contents
I have created a large spreadsheet with numerous worksheets and would like to be able to insert a table of contents at the front of the report. Each heading in the table of contents would be the worksheet name. Is there any way of doing this? I know I can put a table of contents page in the report and fill in the page numbers by manually doing a print preview and then filling in each page number manually. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hi have a look at http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Dave wrote: > I have created a l...

How do I get??

Identify Duplicates (Group Records First)
Hello, I have an invoice table that includes the fields CustomerNumber and DivisionNumber. Customers can deal with multiple divisions. CustomerNumber DivisionNumber ABC Co 10 ABC Co 10 ABC Co 10 Smith Inc 10 Smith Inc 10 Jones Corp 20 Jones Corp 20 Jones Corp 10 XYZ Inc 20 XYZ Inc 20 I am trying to come up with a query that will identify that Jones Corp has records in both division 20 and 10. I would like the results ...