How to format the value in a cell?

Hello!
  I wonder if excel has the function to format a value in cell
without the help of Macro.
  To format a value,here I mean to correct the value automatically.
For example,it need the value in a cell to be "T".But a user may
enter " T","T ","t".The formatting function used here to trim the
space at the begining or end of "T",or change the "t" to upper case.
--------------------
An

0
abc8969 (6)
7/13/2005 12:29:53 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Try =TRIM(UPPER(A1))

--
Regards
Roger Govier
"An" <abc@sohu.com> wrote in message
> Hello!
>  I wonder if excel has the function to format a value in cell
> without the help of Macro.
>  To format a value,here I mean to correct the value automatically.
> For example,it need the value in a cell to be "T".But a user may
> enter " T","T ","t".The formatting function used here to trim the
> space at the begining or end of "T",or change the "t" to upper case.
> --------------------
> An

0
roger5293 (1125)
7/13/2005 12:33:32 PM
You can't do this with formatting alone.

You'll need a macro.

If you want a macro, right click on the worksheet tab that should have this
behavior.  Select view code and paste this into the code window:

Option Explicit

    If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
    If Intersect(Target, Me.Range("a:a")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

    On Error GoTo errHandler:
    If IsEmpty(Target) Then
        'do nothing
    Else
        Application.EnableEvents = False
        Target.Value = "T"
    End If

errHandler:
    Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

================

Actually, you can change the display to just show T--but it won't change the
value.

You could give the cell a custom format of:
T;T;T;T

But if you want to check that cell, you can't use:

=if(a1="T","ok","not ok")

But you could check to see if the cell was empty:
=if(a1<>"","ok","not ok")

--

Dave Peterson
0

Except for some odd cases ( http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/odd/odd06.htm ), the
formulae in Excel can not insert, delete objects or change their properties.
They can only return values.
So you can't change the original cell value but you can of course get
theammended value in a different cell. Just explore the Help for the
following functions:

TRIM() - removes extra spaces
CLEAN() - removes non-printable characters
UPPER() - coverts to upper case
LOWER() - coverts to lower case
PROPER() - capitalizes the first letter
TEXT() - returns text in many different formats

and many other text functions

Regards,
KL

"An" <abc@sohu.com> wrote in message
> Hello!
>  I wonder if excel has the function to format a value in cell
> without the help of Macro.
>  To format a value,here I mean to correct the value automatically.
> For example,it need the value in a cell to be "T".But a user may
> enter " T","T ","t".The formatting function used here to trim the
> space at the begining or end of "T",or change the "t" to upper case.
> --------------------
> An

Thank you! Mr. Peterson.
To use Macro is hard for an average person.I think this function is an
useful one.
Why Microsoft didn't integrate it into Excel to cell's formatting,let user
use some
functions ,say,Upper(),Lower(),Trim() to format the value?
An

0
abc8969 (6)
7/13/2005 2:26:55 PM
Formats change the look of a cell--not the value.

all those =upper(), =lower(), =trim() actually can change the value.

You could use those functions in an adjacent helper cell, though.

Use one column for input and the adjacent column for what you think the input
should have been.

--

Dave Peterson
0

0
abc8969 (6)
7/13/2005 2:46:28 PM
Yes,use an adjacent cell,but not a good alternative,I think.

0
abc8969 (6)
7/13/2005 3:05:59 PM
Well, it actually does if you want the value changed. As Dave has already
explained in his recent message to you, a format is not changing the value,
but the look and thus doesn't break the basic rule.

Regards,
KL

> Thank you for telling me the basic rule.but I don't think it
> break the rule if this occurs during a user enters the value.

I learned that there are two states while the value is being entered,before
and after the entered value is accepted by a
cell.
I think the basic rule is for the accepted value.So changing the
value before it was accepted doesn't break the rule.

Regards,
An

0
abc8969 (6)
7/13/2005 3:37:45 PM
An,

What you are saying is true for anything, but functions. For a function a
non-accepted value is non-existant, it will see only the accepted value. BTW
as far as I know, VBA has no built-in way of reading non-confirmed value
from a cell either. In a sense, there is something in Excel that could be
seen as a prototype of what you are after and it is the AutoCorrect (menu
Tools>AutoCorrect). See if you can get it to do whatr you want.

Regards,
KL

>I learned that there are two states while the value is being entered,before
> and after the entered value is accepted by a
> cell.
> I think the basic rule is for the accepted value.So changing the
> value before it was accepted doesn't break the rule.
>
> Regards,
> An

AutoCorrect is for all the cells,not for a certain
part of the cells. And,in some cases,AutoCorrect is
not convenient.
Thanks!I asked the question because I used to learn
a software logically,Excel should have the function.

Regards,
An

0
abc8969 (6)
7/13/2005 11:42:19 PM
I agree, the inability to "force" a case setting in Excel data entry i
a problem.   :mad:  In Canada, postal codes are in the format A1B 2C3
while uppercase letters are not strictly required, it looks odd if the
are not used.  Things would be so much simpler if I could use a tex
format on a cell to "force" the characters to be uppercase, instead o
having to use a macro (which the user may choose to disable) or
function (which is a "kludge" solution).  Microsoft, are yo
listening?

One "workaround" that I have used is to change the cell font t
something that displays all caps regardless of the key entered.  Ban
Gothic, Bremen, Charlesworth and several others on my computer hav
this capacity.  With this option, even if you type "a1b 2c3" it wil
display as A1B 2C3.  Whether or not this works for you will depend o
what you plan to do with the text afterward - simple printing will b
fine, but any data manipulation may force you to use the UPPER functio
to get the results you need

--
SuperDav
SuperDave's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2593

There's a very good chance that MS is not listening.

You may want to send your request to:
mswish@microsoft.com

--

Dave Peterson
0

negative number format

Change date format to European format

Formatting just some rows

freezing formatting

Negative number formatting

Enforce format

Format Smartlist field

Conditional Formating Help

Custom patterns for cell shading
Hello, Is there a way to add 'custom patterns' to the cell shading option? I was hoping for a nice 'arrow pattern' for the conditional formatting. (I'm doing a presentation of traffic flow, and for flow north or south [ie if Northbound > Southbound, flow is northbound], I would like to graphically show the flow.) Any assistance or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently using windings arrows, but a form of pattern / conditional formatting would be awesome. Jools -- World of Warcraft *isn't* work? ...

named cells. need a 101
I've been building a 'what if' sheet that pulls in this and that from other sheets. All the sheets have named cells, as does the what if' sheet itself. I want to copy/replicate this sheet multiple times in the wb to allow for multiple and concurrent what if setups. I am worried about named resources (cells) and what's going to happen when I attempt this. I will experiment, but I'm worried about something getting picked up in the wrong place. Is there a good 101 out there that discusses the use of names and what to expect? Thank you. There was an earli...

Select Case Conditional Formatting Sub?

How to determine second (and then third) highest value in a list #2
I've got an excel spreadsheet full of data, and I wanted to create a column that would tell me what the second highest value was, given a list of cells. For example, I've got 8 columns (columns K through R), with headers "Team 1" through "Team 8". Below that, on the following MANY rows, are numbers, associated with scores for the team in that column. I'd like to have a column that tells me what score was 1st place, which was 2nd place, and which was 3rd place. Finding the 1st place one is easy, using the =MAX(K4:R4). But I'm at a loss to determine...

When copying from "date" cell to "general" cell, how to keep date.
An Excel question for you: when I try to copy data from a "date" formatted cell over to a concatenate formula in a "general" formatted field, it transfers the data over as the boolean value. This is causing endless headaches because I am trying to upload the information into our financial software. Do you know a solution for this? I think you mean the date comes over as the serial value. If not, this may not be right. In the concatenate function, embed the Text function. ex: A1 has 5/16/2004, B1 has "TEST" in it. C1 formula would be =concatenate (TEX...

How to format the value in a cell?

Remove formatting from SSN
I exported some data from an Access database. The Social Security Numbers are in this format: 123-45-6789. I would like to change them all to 123456789. I've tried creating a Custom Format and formatting the cells, but nothing changed. Tried setting the format of a new column, then cutting and pasting or Paste Special into the new cells, but it keeps the old formatting. Is there an answer? Try this in a "helper" column: =TEXT(A1,"000000000") To retain your leading zeroes. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all corres...

Formatting numbers
Pub2002/XP - how to format numbers in a table - I want it to automatically space for thousands etc and align the numbers correctly ie. 1 650 243 500 etc You will have to do it manually, or copy and paste it from a spreadsheet. -- See if Courier font will do it. Most other fonts do proportional spacing i.e. the letter m is wider than an l. In Courier (maybe teletype, typewriter and a few other fonts) use the same width of space and thus will line up columns from row to row. -- Don Vancouver, USA, a great city in one of the 45+ countries in America! "simonh" <si...

Stop macro if cell selected
Hi, First time & new to excel macros. I have a macro which copies data & inserts it into a viewable summary sheet which can be printed. The range is 6 cells & if cell k7 is selected I want to stop the macro. I have attempted to use IF command with Then End but it ignores it. Here is my macro: ' refence point to start pasting sequence Sheets("Alfa data").Select Range("C225").Select Application.CutCopyMode = False Selection.Copy Sheets("Sheet4").Select Range("c7").Select Selection.End(xlToRight).Select Acti...

Sheets lose formats
I have a file that I created by upgrading from Excel 2003. In 2007 the file saves fine. I had a user complain he didn't have Excel 2007 so I saved as a ..xls file and now everytime I reopen the file all my formating on every sheet is gone. If I reapply the formatting and then save as a .xlsm file, all the formatting stays in the file. Ideas? ...

Finding the Cell Reference for the minimum value of a data list.
I am trying to figure out how to automatically refernce a location of a cell (ex. C5)which has been calculated to be the minimum value of a set of data. If I can reference the row of this cell absolutely, then I want to use that value as the beginning data reference point for both the X and Y data values of an XY scatter plot. You can reference it using the MATCH function with INDEX or OFFSET: I.e., the starting cell might be referenced as: INDEX(C:C, MATCH(MIN(C:C),C:C, 0)) while the range to plot could be referenced as: OFFSET(C1,MATCH(MIN(C:C),C:C, 0)-1,0,numrows,numcol...

Change HTML Format to Plain Text Format
We would like to change 500 Outlook XP and 2003 clients to use Plain Text for emails rather than Rich Text or HTML. Is there a registery key I can modify, save and email out to all clients to automatically change the settings If you have any suggestions please let me know Thank Kevin ...