how to fit a curve to

Hi there
I need to draw a curve to best fit some point on a chart.
is there an easy way to do this approach without going into deep programing
?

thanks

0
yosi_lb (13)
2/4/2007 12:57:49 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Have you looked at the Chart's Add Trendline facility?
Right click the data on the chart and select Add trendline from the shortcut
menu; on the dialog box pick the type of curve you need and specify if you
want to see the equation.
Come back with more questions, if needed
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"yosi_lb" <yosi_lb@bezeqint.net> wrote in message
> Hi there
> I need to draw a curve to best fit some point on a chart.
> is there an easy way to do this approach without going into deep
> programing ?
>
> thanks

0
bliengme5824 (3040)

Scatterplot with a best-fit line
How do i create one scatterplot with three separate data sets and a best-fit line to go with each set? Make an XY chart with the first set of X-Y values. Copy the second set of X-Y values, select the chart and use Edit menu > Paste Special, and add the data as a new series, categories in first column (row). Repeat for the third set of X-Y values. Add the trendline to each series by selecting the series, right clicking, and choosing Add Trendline. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "neally" <neall...

Fitting characters to a grid
In Excel I will have a grid sized 36 x 36, and this grid is subdivided into 36 6 x 6 boxes. What I would like to do is auto fill the grid randomly with the characters A-Z and 0-9. However, in each row and in each column, each character will appear only once. In addition, each character will appear only once in each 6 x 6 box. Sort of like a giant Sudoku puzzle. Any idea how I could formulate this? Marcus WOW!!!:eek: You do not want much do you???:rolleyes: Just to be sure I understand. In row 1 (for example) you would have a-z then 0-9 (randomly distributed) in columns "A" ...

Best fit data from a best fit curve?
MS Excel 2003. I have followed the instructions to apply best fit curve to my raw data points. I have a best fit curve that I am happy with, and I now need to extract the corresponding actual best fit data from the curve for use in other software applications. Does someone know how? Hi, See Bernard's page, which also includes a link to Tushar's page. http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme/ExcelTips/Polynomial.htm Cheers Andy Gigi wrote: > MS Excel 2003. I have followed the instructions to apply best fit curve to > my raw data points. I have a best fit curve that I am happy w...

bell curve
I'm trying to find instructions to do a bell curve on Excel and can't locate them. Does anyone have this? Melanie - Tushar Mehta has this on his web site, http://tushar-mehta.com. Check the list of features on the left side of the screen. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html _______ Melanie Gallegos wrote: > I'm trying to find instructions to do a bell curve on > Excel and can't locate them. Does anyone have this? ...

how to fit a curve to
Hi there I need to draw a curve to best fit some point on a chart. is there an easy way to do this approach without going into deep programing ? thanks Have you looked at the Chart's Add Trendline facility? Right click the data on the chart and select Add trendline from the shortcut menu; on the dialog box pick the type of curve you need and specify if you want to see the equation. Come back with more questions, if needed best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "yosi_lb" <yosi_lb@bezeqint.net> wrote in message news:45c5...

can i wrap rows to form multiple rows per row to fit on 1 sheet?
i have a worksheet with very long rows (a to cf). For printing i would like to wrap the rows to fit on a single page, and then seperate each set with a space. I would also like to wrap the headers too, of course. is this possible? Say you're creating 10 columns per new row. So it kind of looks like this: $A$1 $B$1 $C$1 $D$1 $E$1 $F$1 $G$1 $H$1 $I$1 $J$1 $K$1 $L$1 $M$1 $N$1 $O$1 $P$1 $Q$1 $R$1 $S$1 $T$1 $U$1 $V$1 $W$1 $X$1 $Y$1 $Z$1 $AA$1 $AB$1 $AC$1 $AD$1 $AE$1 $AF$1 $AG$1 $AH$1 $AI$1 $AJ$1 $AK$1 $AL$1 $AM$1 $AN$1 $AO$1 $AP$1 $AQ$1 $AR$1 $AS$1 $AT$1 $AU$1 $AV$1 $AW$1 $AX$1 $AY$1 $...

Cost curve chart
I am trying to create a cost-curve type chart, of 100 products originating from 10 departments. I made a list of 1-100, and defined it as the X-axis. The Y-axis is the product profit margin. If I list all 100 products in one series and sort the profit table, I can see the cost curve but all points are of the same color and so I cannot recognise which products are of which department. If I define a series for each department (i.e.: 10 products), I can recognise each department's products by means of a separate color, but the graph does not resemble a cost curve. It seems that perhaps a ...

How to set a cell to expand to fit text in Excel not shrink fit
I'm not sure it this is doable but is it possible to set a cell so that it automatically displays all the text that is in there, expanding where necessary without manual changes. i don't want shrink to fit as I need to text to be of a certain size Wrapping text can be one way or install such an event sub: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Column = 1 Then Columns(Target.Column).AutoFit End Sub This works on column A! Post if you need help to install it! -- Regards! Stefi „Elisal” ezt írta: > I'm not sure it ...

how to offset multiple curves on Excell chart?
how do I add multiple offset curves to a xcell chart? To offset data on a chart, you must add or subtract a constant from the X or Y source data of the series being offset. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "cunningj" <cunningj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:633FA73F-08CC-4D20-85D8-B96294A60695@microsoft.com... > how do I add multiple offset curves to a xcell chart? ...

Shrink to Fit
I have not been able to locate an answer for my Excel annoyance. Why is it that when you go to Format Cells --> Alignment --> Text Control that the Shrink to Fit checkbox is sometimes grayed out? Is there some sort of global control that prevents this, or is it more mundane? Thanks for the help. -- jzapatka There may be other reasons, but there is not a global setting. It certainly becomes unavailable when there is a hard line feed (Alt+Enter) and when the setting 'wrap text' is on -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.c...

Discount Curve Formula
Hi, I've just inherited a spreadsheet that is calculating a discount curve from spot rates and I'm not sure what the formula is doing. I've uploaded a copy of the spreadsheet to: www.songrequest.fsnet.co.uk/Curve.xls I can follow what is being done calculating the discount factors upto the 1 year point but after that they are including the sum of the figures in the next column. Am I missing something really obvious or is there a reason why the same formula isn't used for all time periods? Thanks in advance for any advice. Shawn I assume that you have had no replies becaus...

All Y Axis Labels won't fit on the chart
Hello, I can't get all of the Y axis labels to fit on my chart. I have gone to as small as size 6 for font and still they won't go. Is there some way that I can make the labels "squeeze" in there? I need my charts to be a certain size, so making them larger so that they all fit is not an option. Any expertise is greatly appreciated! Thanks, Kristin barrettk@brandonrha.mb.ca On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:34:52 -0700, Kristin = <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hello, > I can't get all of the Y axis labels to fit on my chart. I > have gone to a...

Lookup a value that fits two (2) criterion
I need to find a value that is identified by 2 criterion. For example, I need to identify the profit of brand y in store 91 (7.0). A vlookup only considers one criterion, so I need to crossreference with another. Store Brand Sales Profit Index 91 x 12.6 6.5 0.9 91 y 11.3 7.0 0.7 91 z 19.4 8.3 1 33 x 11.3 7.1 0.6 33 y 10.0 7.0 0.9 33 z ...

Fit-to-page
Hi everyone! This appears to be an easy one, but I can't find the solution to this question anywhere! If I try to print an email which is wider than an A4 sheet, the text is cropped from the right hand side. I can't find anywhere a setting which makes Outlook print "fit to page". Surely this is an easy solution? Every other bit of software I use can print scaled to a page size ..... -- BarPlanner Hard to say without knowing your version of Outlook. Also, in which format is this message received? HTML, Plain Text, Rich Text? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-O...

when I change page size the object does not resize to fit
when I change page size the basic object does not resize to fit . So I have to drag objects to fit That's correct. -- JoAnn Paules Microsoft MVP - Publisher How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 "basu" <basu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6C698998-F901-4F44-BD36-312844DC19BB@microsoft.com... > when I change page size the basic object does not resize to fit . > So I have to drag objects to fit This is how it is designed to work. Every program I use works the same way. Mike basu wrote: > when I change page size t...

Fitting on a page
I have read in some .txt files using Visio 2002 that create a Visio chart automatically that exceeds the size of the page. Is there any way to automatically get into either onto one page or have it split into multiple pages for printing? Yes, there are a few ways to get this to work. You can make the paper bigger via File > Page Setup, or by holding the control key, mousing over an edge of the page, and pulling the edges of the page. If you do this, go to View > Show Page Breaks and you'll see where printing will break up your drawing. Or you can change the drawing scale vi...

Scaling to fit paper
I noticed on Powerpoint2007 when I go to print the slides, the picture is not fitting the whole page. There is a white border all the way around. In 2003 power point if you checked scale to fit paper when printing the whole picture printed edge to edge. Is there a way to fix this in 2007 so the picture prints edge to edge? Hi, I am sorry that you are experiencing those problems in PPT. I am not fully aware of the main issue with that but I think that it may be either page margin problems or your printer might be thinking it is another paper size(try checking the page size i...

re:Curve the Text Box in a Newsletter?
Is there really no way to do this? I would have thought there was I would really appreciate any ideas on how to accomplish this Thanks Lewiedude lewiedude <mlewensohn@comcast-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> was very recently heard to utter: > Is there really no way to do this? I would have thought there was. > > I would really appreciate any ideas on how to accomplish this. WordArt is the only way. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher Might try this method, scroll down http://msauer.mvps.org/more_graphics.htm If you use WordArt, scroll down http://msauer.mvps.org/word...

Fit to Page
When you print a report how can you tell MS Money to fit it to the size of the paper and then have it save this seting for that or all reports ? ThanK You "Allister" <abee@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message news:eiggd6UHGHA.1124@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > When you print a report how can you tell MS Money to fit it to the size of > the paper and then have it save this seting for that or all reports ? I don't think you can. -- Chris Cowles Gainesville, FL Sadly, Money printing has advanced very little since, oh, about 1995. "Allister" <abee@xtra.co....

Curve Fitting #2
I have a need to develop an equation that fits X=f(x & z) data...Thanx It is possible that Solver could help. Give more info. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Tayseer" <Tayseer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:043801BC-E237-41AA-A611-F7567DC56A3F@microsoft.com... >I have a need to develop an equation that fits X=f(x & z) data...Thanx ...

Data fit
Hi, I need to fit some data points to a function: y = A.(1 - exp(-B.x)) and get the best-fit values of A and B. It seems excel comes with some push button fitting functions (linear, polynomial) but not custom ones. Is this the case? If so, what do people generally use to fit their data? Thanks, Ciao. Put trial values for A and B in two cells. Create a new column with an estimated value (based on the A and B cells) for each observation in the data set. In another cell, calculate: - the sum of squared differences between actual and estimated observations (for least squares estimation) or -...

When printing using Excel the text does not fit in the cell
The text fits in a cell on the screen, but when I print part of it is omitted because the cell box doesn't seem to be large enough. I can add a blank line by using Alt-enter, but sometimes I need to add two lines. My text varies from a few words to as many as 30. There has got to be a better way than trying to guess if an additional line is needed an add it manually. Sometimes worksheets have over 300 lines!! Have you set the alignment for these cells to Wrap Text and the row height to Auto? On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 07:33:04 -0800, "MSUbully" <MSUbully@discussions.micros...

Fit text box to text
I am using Publisher 2003 and I can see that there is a command to adjust text to best fit a text box. However, I wonder if there is a way to automatically shrink a text box so that it is the minimum size that will fit the text. I often have situations where I have multiple text boxes overlapping on a page, and to keep things simple and tidy, I would like to find an easy way to make each box as small as possible, while not affecting overflow etc. Jack Frost wrote: > I am using Publisher 2003 and I can see that there is a command to adjust > text to best fit a text box. However...

How do you put a line of best fit on a graph?
I plotted my data on a scatterplot graph, and I need to put a line of best fit on my graph for my data. How do I do this?? Hi, You can add a trend line. Select the data series. Right click and add Trendline. Have a read of Tushar's information on the subject. http://tushar-mehta.com/publish_train/data_analysis/16.htm Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Lauren" <Lauren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8FEFC0AA-3648-4A15-A881-29B62DC01EB8@microsoft.com... >I plotted my data on a scatterplot graph, and I need to...

Expand to fit.
I have seen the formatting property 'shrink to fit'. Is there a way to make the cell expand to fit? For example I have a cell that concatenates multiple cells in my questionnaire. Many times the amount of words in the cell is too long for the length of the cell. I am using word wrap but I have to physically enlarge the cell until I can see the last line of words. My goal is to be able to print out all of the fields with all of the words in the cells even if they do not show on the screen. I want the width of the cell to remain the same, but only the number of lines printed to ...