how to enter date and time

I like to enter date and time in a cell, can someone tell me the best way to
enter?

0
Soe
4/23/2004 1:34:12 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Enter "Ctrl+;"
"Soe" <soe@soe> wrote in message
> I like to enter date and time in a cell, can someone tell me the best way
> enter?

0
liushun (1)
4/23/2004 1:41:28 AM
Hi Soe

Lots of info on Dates and Times here
http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/ExcelDateandTimes.htm

For the current date use;

Ctrl+;

For the curent time use;

Ctrl+Shift+:

For the current date and time, use;

Ctrl+; Space Ctrl+Shift+:

Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Business Software Galore!
Free Excel Forum http://www.ozgrid.com/forum ***
0
dave2624 (251)
4/23/2004 2:19:06 AM
Hi,
    Thanks for answers. However, there are some issues here.

1) i want to enter any date and time, not only current date and time.
2) user has to convert date to "General" then calculate (really calculate)
decimal for the time and added in, then change back to date format, which I
find is quite troublesome.
I am looking for simpler or easier way to enter both date and time.

anybody has any suggestion or experience?

rgds

"Dave Hawley" <dave@ozgrid.com> wrote in message
> Hi Soe
>
> Lots of info on Dates and Times here
> http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/ExcelDateandTimes.htm
>
> For the current date use;
>
> Ctrl+;
>
> For the curent time use;
>
> Ctrl+Shift+:
>
> For the current date and time, use;
>
> Ctrl+; Space Ctrl+Shift+:

> Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Business Software Galore!
> Free Excel Forum http://www.ozgrid.com/forum ***

0
Soe
4/23/2004 5:30:44 AM
Hi Sue
not really sure what your issue is. If the user enters a time like
'08:12' Excel will store/display this automatically as time. So why has
the user change this to 'General'?

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Soe wrote:
> Hi,
>     Thanks for answers. However, there are some issues here.
>
> 1) i want to enter any date and time, not only current date and time.
> 2) user has to convert date to "General" then calculate (really
> calculate) decimal for the time and added in, then change back to
> date format, which I find is quite troublesome.
> I am looking for simpler or easier way to enter both date and time.
>
> anybody has any suggestion or experience?
>
> rgds
>
> "Dave Hawley" <dave@ozgrid.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Soe
>>
>> Lots of info on Dates and Times here
>> http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/ExcelDateandTimes.htm
>>
>> For the current date use;
>>
>> Ctrl+;
>>
>> For the curent time use;
>>
>> Ctrl+Shift+:
>>
>> For the current date and time, use;
>>
>> Ctrl+; Space Ctrl+Shift+:

>> Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Business Software Galore!
>> Free Excel Forum http://www.ozgrid.com/forum ***

0
frank.kabel (11126)
4/23/2004 6:00:02 AM
Soe <soe@soe> wrote:
> 1) i want to enter any date and time, not only current date and time.
> 2) user has to convert date to "General" then calculate (really calculate)
> decimal for the time and added in, then change back to date format, which I
> find is quite troublesome.
> I am looking for simpler or easier way to enter both date and time.

Just do it.  I just typed the following into a cell:
12/31/2004 10:43 PM
Excel recognized it as a date and time, and reformatted the cell to
conform to my system settings.

--
Gary L. Smith                gls432@yahoo.com
Columbus, Ohio

"Gary Smith" <bitbucket@example.com> wrote in message
> Soe <soe@soe> wrote:
> > 1) i want to enter any date and time, not only current date and time.
> > 2) user has to convert date to "General" then calculate (really
calculate)
> > decimal for the time and added in, then change back to date format,
which I
> > find is quite troublesome.
> > I am looking for simpler or easier way to enter both date and time.
>
> Just do it.  I just typed the following into a cell:
> 12/31/2004 10:43 PM
> Excel recognized it as a date and time, and reformatted the cell to
> conform to my system settings.
>
> --
> Gary L. Smith                gls432@yahoo.com
> Columbus, Ohio

0
Soe

Why is Actual Work updated when entering time into Work Field?
We're using MS Project 2007 and seeing that sometimes when time is entered into the Work field for a task, that task's Actual Work is updated to the same value entered in the Work field. This happens to multiple resources, but only on some of their tasks and not on others. For example, for the weeks of 1/24 and 1/31, whatever hours I schedule (enter in the "work" cell in the Resource Usage View) for a given task also appears in the "actual" cell. The tasks are setup up differently. Some are Fixed Work, some are Fixed Duration. I believe all have the e...

Year to Date subquery
HI I would like assistance with creating a year to date subquery. I tried to copy the MS help example but still can't get the query to run. I have the following: Table name Orders Field Names- [ID] ( system generated primary key) , [OrdersDate], [Quantity], [UnitPrice] Query SQL - SELECT Year([Orders].[OrderDate]) AS TheYear, Month([Orders].[OrderDate]) AS TheMonth, Sum([Orders].[Quantity]*[Orders].[UnitPrice]) AS MonthAmount, (SELECT Sum(dupe.Quantity * dupe.UnitPrice) AS YTD FROM Orders AS A INNER JOIN [Orders] AS dupe ON orde...

Dates in Custom Fields
Hi, I have an end user who has created some custom date fields in a contact form. This is all good. However, if the user types in Jan 07 as a date it always saves as Jan 08. If she enters Jan 2007 then all is good. I know this is the end user being a little lazy but is there a way to change the way dates are saved to suit my end user? Thanks, Joe outlook (like excel) reads jan 07 as 1/7 current year. I know of no way to change the behavior in outlook. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.out...

Emails Receiving time in Inbox Differs
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Email Client: pop Hi, <br><br>I wonder if anyone can help me with this. I realised that my incoming mails received in the in the Inbox, the time received is different from actual time received. Meaning, the timing in the inbox shows the time that I download the emails. IS there a way to resolve this? ...

Excel 2003 spreadsheet. I enter the any number and it is entered.
If I enter a number into a cell it is put in like a decimal. For example, if I enter 10 it is put in as .1 500 is entered as a 5 Thank you Mary Mary, Goto Tools>Options and on the Edit tab you should see The Fixed Decimal Places box checked. Uncheck it. -- HTH RP "maryu" <maryu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:65C0E0FB-43F3-4F34-8A86-FBA3F02EC9B1@microsoft.com... > If I enter a number into a cell it is put in like a decimal. For example, if > I enter 10 it is put in as .1 500 is entered as a 5 > Thank you > Mary ...

Open a Form at a Specific Time
I would like to open a form at a specific time of the day, everyday. Please help? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Scheduled Tasks should do what you want. Steps 1. Open Control Panel 2. Look for Scheduled Tasks and double click it. 3. Click Add Scheduled Task then follow the wizard hope that helps User wrote: >I would like to open a form at a specific time of the day, everyday. > >Please help? -- spread the WORD Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/201001/1 I'm sor...

Filter records by date in subform by date entered in mainform.
Hello, I've spent 3 days trying to understand what I'm doing wrong.....Here is the summary of my problem. I have a form named 'frm_EfficiencyStats' and a subform within the form named 'qry_Total hours subform' (the subform is based on a query). The form contains a text box (for date) which is bound to a table 'tbl_EfficiencyStats'. I would like to be able to enter a date in the text box on my form, and display the records in the subform based on the date I entered in the text box. The subform will only pull records from my table based on the date. Here are th...

date +7
I have today's date in cell A1. IS there a way to get cell B1 to show the following week's date? One way: Dates in XL are just integer offsets from a base date, so use the + operator: B1: =A1+7 Format B1 as a date. In article <C108D314-2BED-40A9-B192-236358091660@microsoft.com>, Marlis <Marlis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have today's date in cell A1. IS there a way to get cell B1 to show the > following week's date? =A1+7 should do it. Regards Rowan "Marlis" wrote: > I have today's date in cell A1. IS there a way...

Money 2006 date format
Hi, I have bank accounts in the UK and in the US, and am trying to set up Money 2006 Deluxe to allow importing of statements from both countries. The UK banks use dd/mm/yyyy date format in their OFX files. The US banks use mm/dd/yyyy. Money seems only to handle one format - the one that the PC is set to use. As my PC is set to use US date format, the statement from my UK bank gets entered incorrectly (day and month get transversed). Ideally there should be a setting for each account to specify the date format that the bank uses, but according to Microsoft support there is not. Does anyo...

Excel Worksheet Change Event in a nick of time
1. Enter an Excel worksheet ; To Define Name > "TagNumber" > ReferTo := D2. 2. Intention ; After TagNumber is updated (in a Change Event), the focus would move to the adjacent cell to the right, Offset(0,1). 3. And therefore, the event procedure is devised as follows ;- Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If ActiveCell.Address = Range("TagNumber").Address Then Range("TagNumber").Offset(0, 1).Activate End If End Sub 4. However, at run-time ; As soon as Tagnumber is activated, the focus shifts to the adjacent cell to the right alrea...

how to enter simple list and sum
using excel 2002 with an xp sp2 system how would I enter a simple list of positive and negative numbers and then create a cell with the sum of these values? if the list would look like this 0.58 -1.22 1.79 -0.56 -0.92 the output would look something like 0.58 0.58 -1.22 -0.64 1.79 1.15 -0.56 0.59 -0.92 -0.33 John In B1 enter =A1 In B2 enter =B1+A2 Copy down to B5 Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 16 May 2007 06:34:13 +0300, "John" <johnj@multipl.es> wrote: >using excel 2002 with an xp sp2 system >how would I enter a simple list of positive and negative...

Resource Units for Tasks entered in PWA differs than tasks entered in Project 2007
Hello, I have an ePM user asking why if he enters a project task in PWA does it not check the resource max units allocation the same way as when he enters a task in Project Professional. For example: You have a project where resource A is 50% allocated. When you create a task in Project Professional for this resource, the resource allocation is set to 50%. Create a task under the same project in PWA, submit and approve the task. Open project professional and view the task information for the task entered in PWA, why is the resource allocation set to 100% instead of 50% set for th...

timechart date question
Is there a way to make historical timecharts in Visio? There seems to be a limit to how far back Visio will go back? I need to chart dates 2000 - 4000 years ago and Visio seems to be limited to 1700 or 1800 onwards. Is there an option or setting to get around this? Thanks! Andrew Jones In fact, Visio is limited to Jan 1, 1900 or later. That is "0" in the date format used by Windows. You'll have to draw them "by hand"...or try to map past dates to future ones and be creative with labeling. -- Lori Pearce Longhorn SDK "Andrew Jones" <andrewmjones@hot...

Time and Date increment
Hi I have a date and time field (which I have formatted as dd/mm/yy hh.mm) 16/07/04 09:30 I would like to add (incrementally) an hour on to the time each day, so the first few days will be: 17/07/04 10:30 18/07/04 12:30 19/07/04 15:30 I have tried right-clicking and using the "series" function, but when I go into the "series" option I am not sure what to do. I have chosen the options step value = 1 and "growth" but it only updates the Day (dd) by one day. I can't get it to update the Hour (hh) by one hour each day. Any ideas anyone? Hi You need to ad...

Make two or three times your cost on thousands of products
Make two or three times your cost on thousands of products. Gift items,Toys Tools,Jewlery and more.Free info. No obligation http://g2967h.sprinkleofgifts.com/income.htm ...

Enter formula by code.
Hi All can anyone help. I cant seem to get this to work. I keep getting run time error 1004 application or object defined error. Public Sub TLIdentify() finalrow = Worksheets("INV Bookings").Range("B65536").End(xlUp).Row Worksheets("INV Bookings").Range("AV26:AV" & finalrow).FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(OR(RC[-38]>0,RC[-32]>0,RC[-26]>0,RC[-20]>0,RC[-14]>0,RC[-8]>0,RC[-2]>0),VLOOKUP(RC4,'Team Summary'!R4C3:R16C4,2,0),"")" End Sub -- Regards and Thanks for any assistance. Francis Brown...

Setting a date in the Header
I have a report that I need to print every Friday, but the report is for the following week. So, I want it to say "For the week of: Monday, November 5, 2007." How do I calculate the date to be next Monday? IF you run the report on Friday (and never on any other day), -- Add a control to the report -- Set its source to = "For the week of " & Format(DateAdd("d",3,Date()), "Long Date") If you run the report on any other day of the week this will fail. So you might want to use = "For the week of " & Format(DateAdd("d&...

Entering a dollar amount w/out having to enter the decimal
What is the formula to have Excel automatically enter the decimal so all I have to enter is the numbers? It's one of the options you can specify. In Excel 2007, it's: Excel Options...>Advanced>Automatically insert a decimal point Regards, Fred "Julieanne" <Julieanne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3AABE398-3B77-4ACD-8938-05ED7F5CC58E@microsoft.com... > What is the formula to have Excel automatically enter the decimal so all I > have to enter is the numbers? ...

Auto Protecting cells & auto filling date
I wonder if anyone can tell me if it is possible to auto proect cells after data has been entered? Basically I have a spreadsheet that has two levels of protection - some cells are password protected and others available for all to enter data into. What I would like to achieve is once data has been entered into a row in the editable area that row becomes part of the password protected area automatically. Also is it possible to use the NOW (or similar) function to populate one cell with a date when another is filled? Ie a log entry is made in column B. When some data is entered into colum...

How to back date Resolved Cases?
Hi there, I have a situation where a user assumed that a case was resolved simply by selecting the "Completed" value in the Status Reason field. Hence, many of our cases were actually not recorded as resolved in the CRM system. If I were to resolve the cases using the Actions menu, the actual case resolution date and the one in the CRM system would definitely be different. As a result, it would give us inaccurate turnaround times in our reports. Is there a way to back date these cases once resolved? Or even alter the form so that we can input a date? Many thanks! There is no su...

Open to Same Cell Each Time
Hi Is there anyway of getting a workbook to open up to the same cell or worksheet each time, regardless of where it was saved when it was last closed? Thanks Jennie ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Jennie, In the workbook open event add code to activate a worksheet and cell. As an example Private Sub Workbook_Open() Worksheets("Sheet1").Activate Range("A1").Select End Sub This code should be put in the ThisWorkbook code...

How do I stop dates from being entered everytime I enter a number
Everytime I enter data in a box (ex: ages 5-9) I then press enter to go to the next cell and it automatically puts in may 9 . I have tried putting in general in formatting cells and it still does it. can someone help before I shoot this pc out the window? I am making a population pyramid with males and females and their ages. Thanks, Kicking and Screaming You can precede your entry with a single quote... '5-9 ....or format your cells as 'Text'. Hope this helps! In article <64AE5219-035D-46E3-9488-5D01F6B012FA@microsoft.com>, Kicking and Screaming <Kicking and...

Date in criteria expression
The following is giving me an error message "data type mismatch in criteria expression": If Not IsNull(DLookup("ClassDate", "tblSCC", "([ClassDate] = '" & .ClassDate & "')")) Then... Is there something tricky about a date field that I don't know about? Rip On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 17:47:49 -0400, RipperT wrote: > The following is giving me an error message "data type mismatch in criteria > expression": > > If Not IsNull(DLookup("ClassDate", "tblSCC", "([ClassDate] = '&...

How much time has passed?
Using Excel 2003 I am using the following formula to calculate how much time has passed since a particular event. =DATEDIF(D2,NOW(),"y") This returns the passage of time in full years. I am stumped trying to get the result in years and months such as "3 years 6 months." Can anyone help? Check out http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290190/en-us , particular event being a birthday. John "BK" <nospam@nospam.com> schreef in bericht news:%231vwgIXRIHA.5208@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Using Excel 2003 > > I am using the following formula to calc...

Time calulations
I have weekly time calulations I need calulate but having problems. in cell A1 12:15 B1 11:50 C1 13:15 When I total all three cells I am getting a total of 13:15, what am I doing wrong. Format as Time 37:30:55 Jerry Dave Elenor wrote: > I have weekly time calulations I need calulate but having problems. > > in cell > > A1 12:15 > B1 11:50 > C1 13:15 > > When I total all three cells I am getting a total of 13:15, what am I doing > wrong. if i work 13 hours a day 6 ...