how to create an excel template

I am having problems trying to create an excel template.
I took a xlt file.  and put it in the dir
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033
However I do not see it ever showing up in the
file>new>on my computer

is there something special you have to do?
thanks

0
iuouh (20)
3/10/2008 3:01:11 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Some different computers and versions have slightly different locations.

Let XL automatically place it in the proper location for you by simply
clicking:

<File> <Save As>
And, at the bottom of the window, expand the "Save As Type" box,
and click on
"Template (*.xlt)"

Then <Save>

And it should be able to be opened in the "Files - New" window.

To modify the template, do the same thing to an opened copy, just remove the
suffix ID numeral before saving.
--

HTH,

RD

"greg" <iuouh@ghfhg.com> wrote in message
I am having problems trying to create an excel template.
I took a xlt file.  and put it in the dir
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033
However I do not see it ever showing up in the
file>new>on my computer

is there something special you have to do?
thanks

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
3/10/2008 3:36:40 PM
thanks,
I see that that works.

However if you want to install using an installer.  how do you know where to
put it?
is there a reg key that gives the location?

thanks

"RagDyeR" <ragdyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message
> Some different computers and versions have slightly different locations.
>
> Let XL automatically place it in the proper location for you by simply
> clicking:
>
> <File> <Save As>
> And, at the bottom of the window, expand the "Save As Type" box,
> and click on
> "Template (*.xlt)"
>
> Then <Save>
>
> And it should be able to be opened in the "Files - New" window.
>
> To modify the template, do the same thing to an opened copy, just remove
> the
> suffix ID numeral before saving.
> --
>
> HTH,
>
> RD
>

> "greg" <iuouh@ghfhg.com> wrote in message
> I am having problems trying to create an excel template.
> I took a xlt file.  and put it in the dir
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033
> However I do not see it ever showing up in the
> file>new>on my computer
>
> is there something special you have to do?
> thanks

0
iuouh (20)
3/10/2008 4:18:11 PM
Hi Greg

See this page for a sheet template example
http://www.rondebruin.nl/sheettemplate.htm

If you want to install it you can use this in your code

Application.TemplatesPath

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"greg" <iuouh@ghfhg.com> wrote in message news:ebdKnosgIHA.6032@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> thanks,
> I see that that works.
>
> However if you want to install using an installer.  how do you know where to
> put it?
> is there a reg key that gives the location?
>
> thanks
>

> "RagDyeR" <ragdyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message
>> Some different computers and versions have slightly different locations.
>>
>> Let XL automatically place it in the proper location for you by simply
>> clicking:
>>
>> <File> <Save As>
>> And, at the bottom of the window, expand the "Save As Type" box,
>> and click on
>> "Template (*.xlt)"
>>
>> Then <Save>
>>
>> And it should be able to be opened in the "Files - New" window.
>>
>> To modify the template, do the same thing to an opened copy, just remove
>> the
>> suffix ID numeral before saving.
>> --
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> RD
>> Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit!
>>

>> "greg" <iuouh@ghfhg.com> wrote in message
>> I am having problems trying to create an excel template.
>> I took a xlt file.  and put it in the dir
>> C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033
>> However I do not see it ever showing up in the
>> file>new>on my computer
>>
>> is there something special you have to do?
>> thanks

0
rondebruin (3790)
3/10/2008 4:41:49 PM
thanks, I will take a look.

"Ron de Bruin" <rondebruin@kabelfoon.nl> wrote in message
> Hi Greg
>
> See this page for a sheet template example
> http://www.rondebruin.nl/sheettemplate.htm
>
> If you want to install it you can use this in your code
>
> Application.TemplatesPath
>

> --
>
> Regards Ron de Bruin
> http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm
>

> "greg" <iuouh@ghfhg.com> wrote in message
>> thanks,
>> I see that that works.
>>
>> However if you want to install using an installer.  how do you know where
>> to put it?
>> is there a reg key that gives the location?
>>
>> thanks
>>

>> "RagDyeR" <ragdyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message
>>> Some different computers and versions have slightly different locations.
>>>
>>> Let XL automatically place it in the proper location for you by simply
>>> clicking:
>>>
>>> <File> <Save As>
>>> And, at the bottom of the window, expand the "Save As Type" box,
>>> and click on
>>> "Template (*.xlt)"
>>>
>>> Then <Save>
>>>
>>> And it should be able to be opened in the "Files - New" window.
>>>
>>> To modify the template, do the same thing to an opened copy, just remove
>>> the
>>> suffix ID numeral before saving.
>>> --
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>>
>>> RD
>>> =====================================================
>>> Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit!
>>> =====================================================
>>>

>>> "greg" <iuouh@ghfhg.com> wrote in message
>>> I am having problems trying to create an excel template.
>>> I took a xlt file.  and put it in the dir
>>> C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033
>>> However I do not see it ever showing up in the
>>> file>new>on my computer
>>>
>>> is there something special you have to do?
>>> thanks

0
iuouh (20)
3/10/2008 4:46:57 PM
There are a couple of relatively simple ways to get that info.

*Before* you even create the template, when you click on "Template (*.xlt)",
in the "Save As Type" box, you'll notice that in the "Save In" box, at the
top of the window, the folder "Templates" is displayed.
Expand this box by clicking on the tiny arrow on the right side, and you'll
get a graphical path right to that templates folder.

OR

*After* creating the template:
You can right click on the template icon in the "Files - New" window,
And click on "Properties".
Under the General tab, you'll see the path to the location.
--

> thanks, I will take a look.
>

> "Ron de Bruin" <rondebruin@kabelfoon.nl> wrote in message
>> Hi Greg
>>
>> See this page for a sheet template example
>> http://www.rondebruin.nl/sheettemplate.htm
>>
>> If you want to install it you can use this in your code
>>
>> Application.TemplatesPath
>>

>> --
>>
>> Regards Ron de Bruin
>> http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm
>>

>> "greg" <iuouh@ghfhg.com> wrote in message
>>> thanks,
>>> I see that that works.
>>>
>>> However if you want to install using an installer.  how do you know
>>> where to put it?
>>> is there a reg key that gives the location?
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>

>>> "RagDyeR" <ragdyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
3/10/2008 8:20:48 PM
Just a note to add.

If you want to change the default Templates folder, open Word.........yes, I
write Word......... and make the change at Tools>Options>File Locations.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 13:20:48 -0700, "RagDyer" <ragdyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote:

>There are a couple of relatively simple ways to get that info.
>
>*Before* you even create the template, when you click on "Template (*.xlt)",
>in the "Save As Type" box, you'll notice that in the "Save In" box, at the
>top of the window, the folder "Templates" is displayed.
>Expand this box by clicking on the tiny arrow on the right side, and you'll
>get a graphical path right to that templates folder.
>
>OR
>
>*After* creating the template:
>You can right click on the template icon in the "Files - New" window,
>And click on "Properties".
>Under the General tab, you'll see the path to the location.

0
Gord

Create Invoice Permission
Guys, a strange one here..... I have users creating Invoices from sales orders OK for some Sales Orders but not for others - they get a message saying they have insufficient permissions. I cant figure out why they have permission on some but not all !! Any ideas ? Ian Hi Ian, Checkout the role of the user. Do he have create rights on invoices of all organization or only on some BU. Role can have rights on only to user owned, BU owned, BU and Child BU owned or organization owned. If User's role have only rights on BU owned invocies then he cannot create invoices for any orders...

Excel automation to access a workbook
I want to utililze Excel Automation to obtain properties from an Excel workbook. Given path of the Excel workbook, how can I get the properties of a workbook without making the Excel application or the workbook visible. Then obviously close the Excel workbook and the Excel Object after I get the properties Any help with this would be appreciated Here is some code I am using. I need help getting it to work. When I run it, I get an error message "Run-time error '-2147417851 (80010105)' Method 'Open' of object 'Workbooks' failed" I am in a form in Acc...

Margin is out of page when open using Excel 2003
All my excel file which saved on Excel XP are out of order when open using Excel 2003. Please advise! ...

Excel should allow chart axes to be set from sheet data.
I often chart account balances where I have x axis of dates and y axis of monetary amounts. It would be helpful if there was a facility to allow the x axis minimum and maximum to be set to some value as calculated from the data itself (or even calculated using a formula). I like to keep a "rolling" picture of the last three months (so, today()-90 to today()) and the next three months (today() to today() + 90) (on two separate charts). I have to manually update the x axis's minimum and maximum each day. you can set up formulas in cells to calculated your desired max/mins a...

How do I show hidden column and row headings in excel?
How can I display hidden column and row headings in excel? Excel displays only unhidden rows and columns, and their headings. But if you make the width or height small enough, it might still be possible to see the heading and not the data. However, this becomes more difficult as you move to column AB or row 101. "Mildred" <Mildred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D7D83F4B-289A-49A6-9057-23365EAFB300@microsoft.com... > How can I display hidden column and row headings in excel? ...

SOS! how do I run Excel without running the VBA in AUTO_OPEN?
Hi all, I am asking this for my friend. He has the following urgent problem. He put some VBA code into AUTO_OPEN (AUTO_RUN), basically it execute some other functions, and then automatically saves the closes out the Excel sheet. The problem now is that he wants to open that sheet to edit some stuff, now he's stuck -- whenever he opens the sheet, the sheet always auto- closes, and he had no way of operating it... What can he do? Is there a way to open a sheet without executing that AUTO_OPEN (AUTO_RUN) function? thanks a lot! Hold down the Shift key when ope...

export data from excel to adobe
If you have 2007, Microsoft has a free add-in that will add the ability to print to a file in .pdf format that works across all Office 2007 applications: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4D951911-3E7E-4AE6-B059-A2E79ED87041&displaylang=en If you don't have 2007, then one of the easiest to use .pdf file creators is probably PDFCreator from SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/ it installs as a virtual printer on your system and when you wish to create a .pdf file you simply print to that virtual printer. Instead of a sheet of paper, y...

Large shared excel files
I have an excel file that I use to manage clients. I have 1067 clients. I have 8 people in my department that edit the file. I have another 200 staff that have read only access to the file. Most of the time the file is about 1.3 MB in size. However, on occassion the file gets very slow and swells to about 25 mb. When I go to "tools" "Shared Workspace" it will show everyone who is currently signed on to edit the file. Sometimes however, it shows the same guy on three times. When this happens, the file creates a tmp file in the directory. It seems to me that excel ...

accessing outlook data using excel macro
Hey all, I'm very new with all of this, however, my problem is this: I have a bunch of data in excel which I then want to compare to certain "task" fields in outlook (ie. the "Due Date" column in Tasks for example), then update those outlook fields with new data. I was able to do it in an Outlook macro, but not in the Excel macro. I get a "User defined type not defined" error when trying to define a namespace variable as "Outlook.Namespace" Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. ...

Remove file Protection from an Excel workbook file from others
I have an older excel file created by someone who is no longer with my company. I want to use that file as a starting point to created another file. The file is set up as "read only". If I try to change any of the cells, I get the message that the "cell or chart is protected and therefore read only" and further tells me to unprotect before attempting the change. When I got to tools/protection/Unprotect Sheet I get the request for a password. I don't know the password as the file was created by another. I have tried "save as", from tools making sur...

Linked Excel table
Hi, Hope someone can help me. I have weird printing problem that I can' seem to fix! Here's the story ... I am using Windows XP and Offic 2003. I link excel tables into a word document (paste special/as link) There is color font in the excel table. The color always appears on th screen, but disappears when I print it to pdf or printer, *but onl from certain PC's* Hence, the problem! I've compared the settings o Word and Excel between the PC that can print the colored text and th ones that cannot. To no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Philomen -- Message posted f...

YAPTQ: Mixed data types in custom groups (Excel 2003)
Hello, I'm trying to get the following accomplished in Excel 2003: I have a column in a table that keeps track of how late a form was turned in. It can have an integer (for the number of days it was late) or one of several text strings ("On time," "Cannot determine," "Outside report dates.") I need to be able to generate the totals for: On time or within 7 days late, 8-15 days, More than 15 days Cannot determine Outside report dates It seems like it should be a straightforward procedure, where one can specify a range of numbers, or a list of values, but I ...

Cut and paste from Excel to Powerpoint
Hi If I'm copying a table from Excel to Powerpoint, I usually use Paste Special, then select Picture (Enhanced Metafile) to give me flexibility to edit later in Powerpoint. However, I find that if my table has more than about 15 columns, the 'pasted' version is truncated. If I select another paste option (eg Bitmap), the whole table is pasted, but this naturally reduces the quality and flexibility of the output. Does anyone know how I can ensure that the whole table is pasted, whilst retaining Enhanced Metafile format? Many thanks, O. --- Message posted from http://www.Exce...

How to create a pie chart with 793 numbers? Possible?
Hi, I've been trying to create a pie chart with 793 numbers on one single colum, the column consists of various numbers and i would like to take a percentage of numbers on the column, for example there are 100 tens ranging from cell A1 to A99 and 500 1's ranging from cell A100 to A699 and other numbers, is it possilbe to create a pie chart with that many numbers? -- Every time i tried to create the pie chart using the chart wizard, the finished chart will always shown with so many different slices, any tips on how to create the pie chart would be greatly appreciated thanks in adv...

Excell: Column Changes
The Excell program changed the Column labels from alpha characters to numbers. This makes it somewhat difficult to use formulas. Any ideas on how to changes back the numbers to alphabet characters ??? Tools|options|General Tab|Uncheck R1C1 reference style Doug wrote: > > The Excell program changed the Column labels from alpha characters to numbers. This makes it somewhat difficult to use formulas. Any ideas on how to changes back the numbers to alphabet characters ??? -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com Tools -- Options. On the View tab, under Settings, uncheck R1C1 style. Rgds, And...

Password Protecting Excel Sheet
Hi, Is it possible to create a password in order to get in to an excel file. When a user clicks on this file, they would be prompted for a password. I know how to password protect things once in the file, but I also want to lock anyone out who does not have a password. Thanks, Chuck Chuck, File/SaveAs In the upper right of the dialog box..... Tools/General Options. John "ChuckW" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0d4101c3db78$a3a1e340$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > Is it possible to create a password in order to get in to > an ex...

Linking to Excel from MS Project
I was wondering if there is a way so that I can link the Gant Chart (Picture) made in Project to a sheet in Excel... I know I can copy the image over and paste it into the sheet, but I wanted something that would be able to dynamically change on an update and I dont have to copy and paste all the time. Any help is appreciated. ...

Convert Excel to comma delimited text #3
Thank you! That did the trick. -- deacs ------------------------------------------------------------------------ deacs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2321 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=266960 ...

How do I combine several sheets into one document in Excel?
As you did not specify otherwise I presume there is something like Shee 1 has rows 1 to 250, sheet 2 has rows 1 to 500, and sheet 3 has rows to 250 etc. To join those you would highlight and Copy the rows in sheet 2, then then in sheet 1 click in cell A251 and Paste, then repeat the proces for sheet three into cell A751 etc. If you wish to match-and-merge data on the same rows from columns i another sheet that could be more difficult -- Bryan Hesse ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Bryan Hessey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?act...

running a macro in excel 2000
I have a workbook with a macro which was created in excel 97. However, when I retrieved this workbook in excel 2000,it doesn't display the prompt that we used to have in excel 97 whether we want to disable or enable the macro. Anyway,I want to have Excel 2000 run the macro. When I open the workbook it says that Visual Basic macro module is now edited in the VB editor, not the workbook. When I go to Tools menu, macro command, Project Window, modules and run it, it says that the macro is disabled. How can I enable the macro, so that when Excel opens the workbook, the macro wil...

Showing the percentage of a total in Excel
I would like to add a percentage to a figure but wish to show the amount added rather than the total. For example: $1000.00 + 25% = $250.00 At the moment I can only get the formula to show: $1000.00 + 25% = $1250.00 Any help would be much appreciated! So, how about =A1*.25? ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "jakeyboy" <jakeyboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F9C22D37-5294-4FA2-8153-B2171EE05162@microsoft.com... > I would like to add a percentage to a figure but wish to show the amount > added rather than the total. > >...

How do i work out percentages using excel?
Could someone please tell me the formular to work out percentages using Excel? For example what 20% of £1.10 was. Hi Fern, Try "=1.10*.2" (remove quotes), and formatting the cell as percentage. You could also substitute the values above with cell references - if you enter the percentage value as a percentage, it will pick it up correctly. Hope this helps Sunil Jayakumar "Fern" <Fern@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D5FF910D-948E-4239-98D1-325157DB5F15@microsoft.com... > Could someone please tell me the formular to work out percentages ...

Restoring "Sized with Window" option in Excel 2007?
Who knows a trick to restore the "Sized with Window" option in Excel 2007, automatically resizing chart when size of window changes as in Excel 2003? There is no trick. It cannot be done at all. This capability was removed from Excel 2007. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/ _______ "Pim den Hartog" <Pim den Hartog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A8C41604-3F04-4F16-AA32-E5A2B9884375@microsoft.com... > Who knows a trick to restore the "Sized with Window"...

Excel Workspaces
Hi, Lately I have been getting a popup dialogue box telling me the file may have been saved by another user -what do I want to do -overwrite changes or save a copy. It started while using a workspace to save several files -but I had been using this workspace in the past and never encountered this dialogue. Any ideas on what is going on? ( is it the result of individually saving one of the files while the workspace is open?) Thanks for any help... David S> ...

EXCEL #47
THE ONLY WAY I CAN OPEN A EXCEL FILE IS TO GO DIRECTLY TO EXCEL WORKBOOK SO I CAN LOOK AT IT OTHERWISE WHEN I TRY TO OPEN THE FILE IT COMES UP BLANK....HELP Hi W! Turn off your Caps Lock. Ut's considered rude (shouting) and is more difficult to read. Double clicking on files from within Explorer or attached to e-mails should cause Excel to start and to load the file. Often this fails. Excel starts but the file is not loaded. However, with Excel open the file may load with a normal double click and / or it can be opened from within Excel by the normal File > Open method. Mos...