How to create a single line separated by commas from a matrix?

Hello,

I've the following problem.

I've a table made of several columns. Each colum represents a
characteristic regarding to a subject (e.g. Name, Surname, Home
Street, etc...). In the rows I put the different people.

I need to export these info to a format compatible with other program -
an email program-, which requires the information to be arranged in a
different way. The program needs all these data to be ordered in a
single row, with each characteristic between quotation marks, and
separated by commas, following this pattern:

"characteristic 1","characteristic 2","characteristic 3"...

Also, the order of the different "characteristics" in the single row
doesn't have to match with the order of my table.

Could you suggest me any idea about how to deal with this?

Thank you.
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

try this idea for a formula
=""""&E1&""""&","&""""&F1&""""

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
"Alex" <themailbox24-googlegroups@yahoo.es> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I've the following problem.
>
> I've a table made of several columns. Each colum represents a
> characteristic regarding to a subject (e.g. Name, Surname, Home
> Street, etc...). In the rows I put the different people.
>
> I need to export these info to a format compatible with other program -
> an email program-, which requires the information to be arranged in a
> different way. The program needs all these data to be ordered in a
> single row, with each characteristic between quotation marks, and
> separated by commas, following this pattern:
>
> "characteristic 1","characteristic 2","characteristic 3"...
>
> Also, the order of the different "characteristics" in the single row
> doesn't have to match with the order of my table.
>
> Could you suggest me any idea about how to deal with this?
>
> Thank you.

0
dguillett1 (2487)
10/18/2008 7:28:33 PM
Alex,

It looks as though you need to create a CSV file (comma separated values).
You can save an Excel spreadsheet directly in this format by selecting File,
Save As and then selecting file type CSV(Comma delimeted)(*.csv).

The problem here is that Excel will only put the quotation marks around
cells where a comma is included in the text. However, I would suggest that
you give this a try since the CSV format is a fairly standard way to
transfer data between different applications so your system may accept the
format.

I can't find a way to force the quotes during the Excel save, but if you
move your data from the spreadsheet to an Access table, you can export the
data into a file with precisely the file format you require with no
additional data manipulation. Here is an example I prepared on my pc:

"Char1","Char2","Char3"
"Name","Street","Town"

"Alex" <themailbox24-googlegroups@yahoo.es> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hello,
>
> I've the following problem.
>
> I've a table made of several columns. Each colum represents a
> characteristic regarding to a subject (e.g. Name, Surname, Home
> Street, etc...). In the rows I put the different people.
>
> I need to export these info to a format compatible with other program -
> an email program-, which requires the information to be arranged in a
> different way. The program needs all these data to be ordered in a
> single row, with each characteristic between quotation marks, and
> separated by commas, following this pattern:
>
> "characteristic 1","characteristic 2","characteristic 3"...
>
> Also, the order of the different "characteristics" in the single row
> doesn't have to match with the order of my table.
>
> Could you suggest me any idea about how to deal with this?
>
> Thank you.

create a roster

Several (x, y) coordinated lines on one graph
I am trying to plot for the general (x, y) coordinated dataset. For example, Series A (1, 50) (8, 90) (10, 300) (300, 500) Series B (3, 80) (400, 90) Series C (30, 80) (200, 120) and so on. The data is store on single worksheet Series Name x coordinate y coordinate A 1 50 A 8 90 A 10 300 A 300 500 B 3 80 B ...

this is a test subject line
a test I say ...

Task Create - Status

single, 6pack, 12pack
I need to know how to setup items that are sold in single, 6pack, 12pack items such as beer or soft drinks, and those items have a like UPC code. Thanks Phil The way we do it Phil is by placing a 1 infront of the upc of the single. So when a customer comes up to the register with that single they press a key on the keyboard that says single but its really just a one. Then we have the single then take away from the 6pk or 12pk depending on where it is coming from. "Phil V" wrote: > I need to know how to setup items that are sold in single, 6pack, 12pack > items such a...

Macro that inserts lines
I have this macro that inserts a line if the value in D changes and copy the value in D to A. I want this macro to only start looking in D14 or from row 14. tx for all the help Dim row_index As Long Application.ScreenUpdating = False lastrow = ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).row For row_index = lastrow - 1 To 2 Step -1 If Cells(row_index, "D").Value <> _ Cells(row_index + 1, "D").Value Then Cells(row_index + 1, "D").EntireRow.Insert _ (xlShiftDown) Cells(row_index + 1, 1).Value = Cells(row_index + ...

Convert two separate Word documents into one
Anybody know how to merge/convert two separate (one page) Word document into one (two page) document? HELP> In news:B5526982-84F0-4552-A34F-7F72AB3DADDC@microsoft.com, CAOWEN <CAOWEN@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Anybody know how to merge/convert two separate (one page) Word > document into one (two page) document? > > HELP> Open one of them. PUt the cursor at the very bottom (CTRL-END keys works well for that). Click Insert File. Save the resulting combined file to a NEW NAME to avoid losing either of the two originals. HTH, Twayne ...

Create external database

How to create pie chart with %

when form created

Creating a Brochure

how many lines per sheet in excel 2003
ave they increased the number of lines in excel 2003 or is it still 65536 Still, ever heard of 'categorizing'? Danny On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 16:04:01 -0700, Des53 <Des53@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > ave they increased the number of lines in excel 2003 or is it still 65536 -- Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/ Hi Des, Row and column specifications are unchanged in xl2003 (65536 x 256). I have heard no suggestion that these are likely to change any time soon --- Regards, Norman "Des53" <Des53@discus...

How to create Access macro shortcut

Multiple tables output to multiple sheets in single excel workbook
Hi all, Been a while since I've done any access dev, and I can't for the life of me remember how to do this. I have 3 tables I need to export to Excel, preferably in one workbook as separate sheets. Using OutputTo simply overwrite the file, and I seem to recall using transfertext to accomplish this, but it says the file is read-only after the first table is output. Do I need to create an export spec? If so, how do I go about this? Or is this simply not going to happen without using the Office library reference and all that jazz? TIA, SusanV Thanks Tom - I'll give it a ...

Creating an ad book

Single user Outlook 2007 license for desktop and laptop
What is the cheapest way I can get an Outlook 2007 license that I can use on both my desktop and laptop? Richard As long as you are the only user, the license in a retail box is good for a desktop and a portable. it is not good for a desktop and a laptop if you and your spouse both use the computers - it has to be for computers that won't both be used at the same time. I highly recommend buying the office suite, not just outlook - you'll have a better experience when all of the office apps are the same version. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2...

Access unable to create an MDE

create a database from which bibliography an be created
How do I create a database from which a bibliography can be added to the end of a Word document? I used the program RefManager, but that is too expensive for me to update. Does Word 2003 have such a program? Thanks Not natively. Have you checked your academic institution? They might have campus licenses which students can use at home. You could give Zotero a spin (www.zotero.org). Personally, I don't like it, but that's just me. Word 2007 comes with referencing capabilities, but they are limited in functionality. Anything special you want, you would have to add i...