How to change the colour of a cell(s) based on cell value

Hello guys,
I am stuck on this rather simple problem. Could not find any hel
searching Google.
I want to change the colour of a cell to green if the vallue is = Tru
and to red if it is False.
I have tried to use the Conditional Formating but without joy.

Thank you

--
Artful Dodge
Artful Dodger's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1656

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi

select the cells
choose format / conditional formatting
choose
cell value is
equal to
and type
true
click on format button choose green click OK

click ADD
choose
cell value is
equal to
and type
false
click on format button choose red click OK
click Ok again

if this doesn't work, how are you generating the true & false statements?

Regards
JulieD

"Artful Dodger" <Artful.Dodger.1gc7cq@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:Artful.Dodger.1gc7cq@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Hello guys,
> I am stuck on this rather simple problem. Could not find any help
> searching Google.
> I want to change the colour of a cell to green if the vallue is = True
> and to red if it is False.
> I have tried to use the Conditional Formating but without joy.
>
> Thank you.
>

> --
> Artful Dodger
> Artful Dodger's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16569
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=320599

0
JulieD1 (2295)
11/26/2004 4:47:32 PM
One way, using CF:

Select your cell. Choose Data/Conditional Formatting and use the
dropdowns and textbox to enter

    Cell value is equal to  FALSE

Click the Format button and choose red from the Patterns tab. Click OK.

Click the Add button. Enter

    Cell value is equal to TRUE

and choose green from the Format/Pattern tab.

If the cell will always have either TRUE or FALSE, you can shade the
cell green with the color palette and forget about the second
conditional format.

In article <Artful.Dodger.1gc7cq@excelforum-nospam.com>,
 Artful Dodger <Artful.Dodger.1gc7cq@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote:

> Hello guys,
> I am stuck on this rather simple problem. Could not find any help
> searching Google.
> I want to change the colour of a cell to green if the vallue is = True
> and to red if it is False.
> I have tried to use the Conditional Formating but without joy.
>
> Thank you.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
11/26/2004 4:56:01 PM
Thank you for the prompt reply. Weird. It did not work when I tried it
but now is OK.
I am testing multiple cells using logic. Comparing cells A1, B1, C1 t
D1, E1, F1.

Thank you guys. I should have tested it few times before posting thi
thread

--
Artful Dodge
Artful Dodger's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1656
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=32059

Artful

If you want to go beyond the limitations of Excel, i.e. beyond the 3
conditional formats allowed, then use Excel with Analysis Services. Refer to
our website www.o2olap.com to see an example in reports. You can even color
you data based on values within the cube.

AT
www.o2olap.com

"Artful Dodger" <Artful.Dodger.1gcb1z@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:Artful.Dodger.1gcb1z@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Thank you for the prompt reply. Weird. It did not work when I tried it,
> but now is OK.
> I am testing multiple cells using logic. Comparing cells A1, B1, C1 to
> D1, E1, F1.
>
> Thank you guys. I should have tested it few times before posting this
> thread.
>

> --
> Artful Dodger
> Artful Dodger's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16569
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=320599

I find it a lot better to always use formulas and then it is easier
to work with C.F.  The main reason for inconsistent results is
not paying attention the address of the active cell when
entering a formula.   The formula you write is relative to the
active cell.  The cells that get colored are among those cells
in the selection when you enter your C.F.  formulas.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/condfmt.htm
---
HTH,

"Artful Dodger" <Artful.Dodger.1gcb1z@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Thank you for the prompt reply. Weird. It did not work when I tried it,
> but now is OK.
> I am testing multiple cells using logic. Comparing cells A1, B1, C1 to
> D1, E1, F1.

0
dmcritchie (2586)
11/26/2004 6:52:09 PM
Didn't see any hint of the poster needing more than the
3 conditions allowed in Conditional Formatting.  There is
so much free help available in these newsgroup including:

  Extended Conditional Formatter �Excel addin�, Bob Phillips
& Frank Kabel, makes it possible to enter up to 50 conditions
with the same entry type panels as builtin Conditional Formatting.
Note this is Beta software (testing not production).
   http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.CFPlus.Download.html

on the other hand for your site,  I think it is important
that people be able to find the price of your software without going
through hoops to find out.  I presume one finds out after downloading
or after the 30 day trial.
---
HTH,

"AT" <Angela.Taylor@o2olap.com> wrote in message news:%23GIphJ%230EHA.804@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Artful
>
> If you want to go beyond the limitations of Excel, i.e. beyond the 3
> conditional formats allowed, then use Excel with Analysis Services. Refer to
> our website www.o2olap.com to see an example in reports. You can even color
> you data based on values within the cube.
>
> AT
> www.o2olap.com
>

> "Artful Dodger" <Artful.Dodger.1gcb1z@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
> message news:Artful.Dodger.1gcb1z@excelforum-nospam.com...
> >
> > Thank you for the prompt reply. Weird. It did not work when I tried it,
> > but now is OK.
> > I am testing multiple cells using logic. Comparing cells A1, B1, C1 to
> > D1, E1, F1.
> >
> > Thank you guys. I should have tested it few times before posting this
> > thread.
> >

> > --
> > Artful Dodger
> > Artful Dodger's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16569
> > View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=320599

0
dmcritchie (2586)

External data link change

Why does the change change to a number?

Track Changes

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

Excel should have the option to merge contents when merging cells.
When Excel merges cells, it keeps only the upper-left-most contents and deletes the others. It would be nice to have the option (maybe a toggle button in the options menu) to concatenate the contents of all the merged cells, so that the information in the lower-right cells is tacked onto the end of the information inthe upper-left-most cell. This is not a big deal, but it would be a nice bell/whistle to save some steps. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I...

Stop sheet showing when Using Datapig's Force Users to enable macr
Hi, I think this is probably not do-able I'm using Datapig Technologies example to force users to enable macros When the workbook is closed all sheets other than a warning sheet are very hidden so that if the workbook is opened with macros disabled then the user can only see a warning sheet saying to close and open with macros enabled. Then on opening with macros enabled the waring sheet is very hidden and the other sheets can be seen. Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean) Application.ScreenUpdating = False Sheets("Warning").Visible = True Sh...

more on VBA function name change

How to change icon for my application

How to MATCH value up a column
I need to match/find the first matching cell up a column. Ideas? TIA! Hi I don't know what you are looking for, but see: MATCH(A2,A1:F1,0) or VLOOKUP(A3,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE) -- Please click "yes" if this post helped you! Greatly appreciated Eva "DevourU" wrote: > I need to match/find the first matching cell up a column. Ideas? TIA! Thankx for the reply. Here is my formula:=IF(A11>A10,C10,(IF(A11=A10,A10,"?"))). I need to have IF(A11<A10, search up column A for 1st match, example A4, display next column B4. Clear as mu...

How do I identify if a cell in excel contains a formula or a numbe
I would like to identify some how if a cell contains just a written number (ex "25000") or contains a formula. I would like to do this because I have an array where some cell contains formulas but some are numbers and I would like to be able to use conditional formating to highlight the cells that just have a number. Regards /Tobias Click on the cell and look at the formula bar. The formula or the value will appear there. Ian "Tobias Andersson" <Tobias Andersson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:739C49F9-91D7-4F0C-8581-FF04AF3E9375@microsoft.com...

How to change newsgroup message font

Taking the Mode based on cell value
Could you provide a few more details about what you want to do? -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "sip8316" <sip8316@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E3F4DE24-C5E8-4911-96E6-E61A1E56DEF0@microsoft.com... > ...

How do I replace the last entire word in text cells?
I understand the REPLACE command but it seems restricted to characters or bytes. I this case, I want to replace the last word in all cells but the word is always different (ie. varying number of characters). Thanks in advance! Array entered (CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER), this will work: =LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-MATCH(" ",MID(A1,LEN(A1)-ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1)))+1,1),0)) Change the reference to A1 to which ever cell you want. -- Regards, Dave "George" wrote: > I understand the REPLACE command but it seems restricted to characters or > bytes. I this case, I wan...

Change a formula to an acual number

Format a cell in a range of cells based on value of another cell
In ExceI 2010, I want to highlight those cells in a range of cells which are less than the value of another cell. I have tried several formulas and nothing seems to work. Example formulas applied to the range of cells in K5:K94: =<$G$1 "=<$G$1" ="<$G$1" =<"$G$1" Any help would be appreciated, Barney On 12/07/2011 14:30, Barneypo@gmail.com wrote: > In ExceI 2010, I want to highlight those cells in a range of cells > which are less than the value of another cell. I have tried several > formulas and nothing seems to work. > > Exa...

How do I use cond format formula to set cell text and color?
Using MS Excel 2003: As and example, I entered into Conditional Format for cell B1: "Formula is", IF(A1="","Test",""). For true condition, the format is set to fill Yellow and font color red. I'm expecting cell B1 to display, "Test" in red text with yellow background when A1 is blank, but it does not work. No errors are displayed. Any ideas? in my experience you can only set the format,you cant have the word test show up.Apply the format condition only using =A1="" and put a seperate if statement in the cell.If it blank ...

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Should I change this code?

How to copy a column of values into another column where the cells are merged
Hi, I have a sheet with a column that lists some values. I also have a second sheet that has a column where the cells are merged every 4 rows. I need to copy the values of the first sheet into the merged cells, but when I do, I only see every fourth value on the merged cells. Is there a formula or any other way that I can use to be able to copy all the values from the first sheet into the second sheet each value on a different group of merged cells? Thanks! Assume you have values in A1:A5 of Sheet1 that you want to copy into Sheet2, where A1:A4, A5:A8, A9;A12 etc are merged. Put this formul...

00/01/1900 In the date cell when linked cell is empty?
Hi I have 52 worksheets all linked up to a total sheet that is working very well thanks to RD All I need to do now is sort out the date this is copied from sheet1 onto the totals page and works fine when the date is put into sheet1. However if the cell is blank on sheet2 the date is put into the totals sheet as 00/01/1900 when the date is put in sheet2 all is well with the right date entered into the totals sheet. So how do I get the totals date to stay blank until the weekly sheets have a date put into the sheet please. the format I am using is below many thanks for all the help I ...

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

redefine rich edit's version
I'm using vc6. the default version of rich edit in vc6 is 1.0. I have installed newer SDK so that I can use newer version of rich edit control, version 2.0. But I can't tell vc6 that I want to use version 2.0 of rich edit control until I find the solution of adding this code " #undef _RICHEDIT_VER #define _RICHEDIT_VER 0x0200 " right after the line of "#include <afxwin.h> " Here comes my question: why shoud I redefine that macro RIGHT AFTER including <afxwin.h>? I know _RICHEDIT_VER is defined 0x0100 in afxwin.h, but I think it should be ok to redefin...