how to add those numbers?

I have a column of numbers that I have to sum up,
but there is one problem: some of them are formatted as a regular
number (sometimes with decimals) and some are formatted as time
(8:30 etc.)
the regular sum(a:a) formula does not work on all of them
is there any way to do it and get the result either in decimals or
time or I'll have to redo the whole thing?

Mark
0
123 (29)
5/29/2005 12:22:14 AM
excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I think I'd get all those numbers to a common unit (time or minutes or hours).

If you have 30 in a cell (say A1) and it represents 30 minutes, you can use a
helper cell and put a formula like:

=A1/24/60

(divide by the number of hours in a day then divide by the number of minutes in
an hour.)

Format that cell as time to see it nicely.

Then you can use =sum()
and use a custom format of:

[hh]:mm:ss

And you'll see your sum in total hours, minutes, seconds.

--

Dave Peterson
0

=SUMIF(A:A,"<=1")*24+SUMIF(A:A,">1")

--
 HTH

Bob Phillips

"Mark" <123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a column of numbers that I have to sum up,
> but there is one problem: some of them are formatted as a regular
> number (sometimes with decimals) and some are formatted as time
> (8:30 etc.)
> the regular sum(a:a) formula does not work on all of them
> is there any way to do it and get the result either in decimals or
> time or I'll have to redo the whole thing?
>
> Mark

0
phillips1 (803)
5/29/2005 10:21:51 AM
On Sun, 29 May 2005 11:21:51 +0100, "Bob Phillips"
<phillips@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>If, and I accept that this might be a big If, all the non-time numbers are >
>1 you could use
>
>=SUMIF(A:A,"<=1")*24+SUMIF(A:A,">1")

thanks Bob, this works perfectly
I only have one question:
what those quotation marks do in this formula?

Mark
0
123 (29)
5/29/2005 7:37:45 PM
Hi Mark,

That is a good question.

If you were testing for a straight equals a value, you would just use say

=SUMIF(A:A,1)

But if you want to test for less than, you would think you could use

=SUMIF(A:A,<1)

but you cannot, you have to wrap it with quotes which SUMIF evaluates

=SUMIF(A:A,"<1")

It gets more interesting if the value you want to compare is in another cell
say B1. Straight equals comparison

=SUMIF(A:A,B1)

Less than comparison

=SUMIF(A:A,"<"&B1)

because the formula needs to get the value from B1, not the text B1, and the
& is used to concatenate to a text value.

--

> On Sun, 29 May 2005 11:21:51 +0100, "Bob Phillips"
> <phillips@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >If, and I accept that this might be a big If, all the non-time numbers
are >
> >1 you could use
> >
> >=SUMIF(A:A,"<=1")*24+SUMIF(A:A,">1")
>

> thanks Bob, this works perfectly
> I only have one question:
> what those quotation marks do in this formula?
>
> Mark

0
phillips1 (803)
5/30/2005 11:07:35 AM
On Mon, 30 May 2005 12:07:35 +0100, "Bob Phillips"
<phillips@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi Mark,
>
>That is a good question.
>
>If you were testing for a straight equals a value, you would just use say
>
>=SUMIF(A:A,1)
>
>But if you want to test for less than, you would think you could use
>
>=SUMIF(A:A,<1)
>
>but you cannot, you have to wrap it with quotes which SUMIF evaluates
>
>=SUMIF(A:A,"<1")
>
>It gets more interesting if the value you want to compare is in another cell
>say B1. Straight equals comparison
>
>=SUMIF(A:A,B1)
>
>Less than comparison
>
>=SUMIF(A:A,"<"&B1)
>
>because the formula needs to get the value from B1, not the text B1, and the
>& is used to concatenate to a text value.

this was very educational,
thank you very much Bob

Mark
0
123 (29)

how to read the serial number of a mother board?
Any code can read the serial number of a mother board? any example? Thanks! Crystal On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 00:07:16 +0800, "Crystal Lin" <linwingyee@hotmail.com> wrote: >Any code can read the serial number of a mother board? any example? Thanks! > Do all computers have "mother boards" and do all mother boards have serial numbers? > Any code can read the serial number of a mother board? any example? Thanks! You can read the Serial Number of the hard drive using DiskId32 at http://www.winsim.com/diskid32/diskid32.html . Lynn Let me guess: another mis...

Add Lookup Fields to Entity

can I get cells with a minus number to show zero
I have a cell which has a basic formula in (adding up from 2 other cells) This number can end up being a minus number (-167), If this happens I need to be able to make that minus number appear as a zero (0). Is this possible? please help. =IF(A1+B1<0,0,A1+B1) Alternative =MAX(0,A1+B1) Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sat, 7 May 2005 08:28:03 -0700, "marcus1066" <marcus1066@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a cell which has a basic formula in (adding up from 2 other cells) >This number can end up being a minus number (-167), If this happens I need to >be...

Excel Add Ins

POS 2009 Add-In: Populating a Task Pad

highest number #2
Hi, Let's keep the problem simple. I have one cell that uses an exchange rate from the internet. That cell changes every minute. What I want to do: In an other cell, I want to keep the highest exchange rate ever. So for example: 6:00 exchange rate = 5.00 -- highest exchange rate is 5.00 6:01 exchange rate = 4.98 -- highest exchange rate is 5.00 6:02 exchange rate = 5.02 -- highest exchange rate is 5.02 6:03 exchange rate = 5.01 -- highest exchange rate is 5.02 6:04 exchange rate = 5.03 -- highest exchange rate is 5.03 Of course nor for any minute I use a new cell, it just change the n...

Number entered automatically cut off
Hello, When I enter 100, it display 1, When I enter 1000, it display 10, ChefChaudart, Is that bad ? <grin> That is one of those things that everyone runs into you change the option and it doesn't seem to do anything so you leave it changed. If you enter a decimal point everything is normal i.e. 1000. or 1000.50 but if you fail to enter a decimal point your option in Tools, Options, Edit (tab), [x] fixed decimals 2 will be used. Remove the checkmark and you'll be fine. You can try that on your boss at April Fool's time as long as their not doing your sal...

Add on

Number of active sheets
I have Office 2003 installed to Windows 2003 terminal servers but I have a problem with on of our users and excel. The issue is that when the user is trying to have multiple spreadsheets opened he keeps getting the message "This operations has been cancelled due to system restrictions- Contact your system Administrator" I can find no setting in excel to enforce a limit on the number of speadsheets a user can have open. Thanks in advance fo any advise Michael Not an expert in these matters, but; Is it possible that the user is trying to initiate another session of Excel vs....

Number to Number "Data Type Mismatch in Expression" in Join
I am attempting to write a query joining two linked tables in a query by payroll number (all numeric). When write the query and join by payroll number I get the "Data Type Mismatch in Expression" error. Both tables have the Data Type as "Number", but the only difference I can tell is one has "Field Size" as "Decimal" and the other has "Field Size" as "Double". I have even tried to join on the VAL() of each payroll number field with no luck. Any ideas? "Decimal" and "Double" are actually different dat...

MS Office X Exceeds Number of....
Clicked standard Mac Office upgrade yesterday, now Entourage is disabled because of message the reads This installation of Microsoft Office X exceeds the number of installations permitted by the license agreement. User name is already using this installation of Microsoft Office X. The program will now quit. I have MS Office package with 3 product keys. I'm using my laptop now, but originally it was installed on my primary desktop Mac. What's the solution to this problem? SHould I be concerned about preserving my emails -- on Entourage, if I need to reload software? Please advise....

Add-in cannot be loaded OL07

Format text to add character

Add File menu to custom toolbar

add a DC in a LegSite

Get Start date of Week number and Year
I’d like to build the following expression in my query GetStartWeekNumber(DatePart("ww",[EnteredDate]), Year([EnteredDate])) So if EnteredDate = 11/3/2009 the function would return 11/1/2009 But GetStartWeekNumber does not exist as an Access Built-In Function. Is there another way to do this as an expression in a query? I’m not familiar with creating my own functions. Thanks. That would depend on how you define the start of the week... One option would be to get the day-of-week number of the date (in my system/setup, Monday is day 2), then subtract one less than that...

excel add-ons

Map Add-On?

Add ContractLine Entity in Menu
Hi, Is it possible to add a shortcut in the Service Menu to the ContractLine Entity? I really appreciate if someone could help. Regards, Alcides ...

Problem- add-in Access Outlook Add-in for Data Collection & Publis
I have a problem with Outlook 2007 and the add-in Access Outlook Add-in for Data Collection and Publishing. This add-in worked when I first installed Outlook 2007 when installing Office 2007 Enterprise. The add-in created a sub-folder in my Inbox named Data Collection Replies and worked well until about 6 weeks ago. Now I can’t get the add-in to work at all even though it appears in the list of COM.adds in Outlook 2007. More perplexing is the error message I now receive EVERY time I click on any email message to read it. The message is titled ‘Custom UI Runtime Error in...