How to add formulas together, hours & minutes function.

Hi Group,

Please could you give me an all singing, all dancing formula, or an
explanation of how to put these together.

A1        B1
23:00    07:30    =IF(B1<A1,B1+1,B1)-A1

This gives me the hours and minutes 8:30 in C1 (Format/Custom/HH:MM)
One hour needs to be added so... =C1+01:00 gives me 09:30 in D1
(Format/Custom/HH:MM)
Then I need it dislayed in decimal format =D1*24 which gives me 9.5 in
E1(Format/General)

It's not actually set out like that A1 B1 C1 D1, with the result I need in
E1, but it makes it easier to explain.

It's not urgent, as I already have the calculator working, I'd just like to
use this function elsewhere :-)

Next on the list is how to round up and down, for when the hours are not as
straightforward, I round them to the nearest 1/4 of an hour, for example

23:10    07:45  = 9.666666667  (It should be 9.5 by using  23:15  07:45)
21:05    11:30  = 15.41666667  (It should be 15.5 by using 21:00  11:30)

Can all of this be put in one formula?

These functions will be used on a spreadsheet and the final values copied
across to another spreadsheet, so it doesn't matter if extra columns need to
be created or hidden.

Can you help?

Cheers

Rob

0
rob8682 (3)
2/9/2007 4:44:13 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

>23:10    07:45  = 9.666666667

The correct result is 9.583333333

> 23:10    07:45.....(It should be 9.5 by using  23:15  07:45)
> 21:05    11:30.....(It should be 15.5 by using 21:00  11:30)

Instead of rounding the times, round the final result.

Try this:

=IF(COUNT(A1:B1)=2,ROUND((B1-A1+(B1<A1)+1/24)*24/0.25,0)*0.25,"")

> One hour needs to be added

That's what this is doing: +1/24

Biff

"Rob S" <rob@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Hi Group,
>
> Please could you give me an all singing, all dancing formula, or an
> explanation of how to put these together.
>
> A1        B1
> 23:00    07:30    =IF(B1<A1,B1+1,B1)-A1
>
> This gives me the hours and minutes 8:30 in C1 (Format/Custom/HH:MM)
> One hour needs to be added so... =C1+01:00 gives me 09:30 in D1
> (Format/Custom/HH:MM)
> Then I need it dislayed in decimal format =D1*24 which gives me 9.5 in
> E1(Format/General)
>
> It's not actually set out like that A1 B1 C1 D1, with the result I need in
> E1, but it makes it easier to explain.
>
> It's not urgent, as I already have the calculator working, I'd just like
> to use this function elsewhere :-)
>

> Next on the list is how to round up and down, for when the hours are not
> as straightforward, I round them to the nearest 1/4 of an hour, for
> example
>
> 23:10    07:45  = 9.666666667  (It should be 9.5 by using  23:15  07:45)
> 21:05    11:30  = 15.41666667  (It should be 15.5 by using 21:00  11:30)
>

> Can all of this be put in one formula?
>
> These functions will be used on a spreadsheet and the final values copied
> across to another spreadsheet, so it doesn't matter if extra columns need
> to be created or hidden.
>

> Can you help?
>
> Cheers
>
> Rob

0
biffinpitt (3172)
2/9/2007 5:09:16 AM
T. Valko wrote:
>> 23:10    07:45  = 9.666666667
>
> The correct result is 9.583333333
>
>> 23:10    07:45.....(It should be 9.5 by using  23:15  07:45)
>> 21:05    11:30.....(It should be 15.5 by using 21:00  11:30)
>
> Instead of rounding the times, round the final result.
>
> Try this:
>
> =IF(COUNT(A1:B1)=2,ROUND((B1-A1+(B1<A1)+1/24)*24/0.25,0)*0.25,"")
>
>> One hour needs to be added
>
> That's what this is doing: +1/24
>
> Biff

Cheers Biff, that works perfectly.  I just used it on a s/shet I'd already
done and it matched my figures every time.  This'll save me a few hours a
day...  to do the other work!

Rob

> "Rob S" <rob@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> Hi Group,
>>
>> Please could you give me an all singing, all dancing formula, or an
>> explanation of how to put these together.
>>
>> A1        B1
>> 23:00    07:30    =IF(B1<A1,B1+1,B1)-A1
>>
>> This gives me the hours and minutes 8:30 in C1 (Format/Custom/HH:MM)
>> One hour needs to be added so... =C1+01:00 gives me 09:30 in D1
>> (Format/Custom/HH:MM)
>> Then I need it dislayed in decimal format =D1*24 which gives me 9.5
>> in E1(Format/General)
>>
>> It's not actually set out like that A1 B1 C1 D1, with the result I
>> need in E1, but it makes it easier to explain.
>>
>> It's not urgent, as I already have the calculator working, I'd just
>> like to use this function elsewhere :-)
>>

>> Next on the list is how to round up and down, for when the hours are
>> not as straightforward, I round them to the nearest 1/4 of an hour,
>> for example
>>
>> 23:10    07:45  = 9.666666667  (It should be 9.5 by using  23:15 07:45)
>> 21:05    11:30  = 15.41666667  (It should be 15.5 by using
>> 21:00  11:30) Can all of this be put in one formula?
>>
>> These functions will be used on a spreadsheet and the final values
>> copied across to another spreadsheet, so it doesn't matter if extra
>> columns need to be created or hidden.
>>

>> Can you help?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Rob

0
rob8682 (3)

> T. Valko wrote:
>>> 23:10    07:45  = 9.666666667
>>
>> The correct result is 9.583333333
>>
>>> 23:10    07:45.....(It should be 9.5 by using  23:15  07:45)
>>> 21:05    11:30.....(It should be 15.5 by using 21:00  11:30)
>>
>> Instead of rounding the times, round the final result.
>>
>> Try this:
>>
>> =IF(COUNT(A1:B1)=2,ROUND((B1-A1+(B1<A1)+1/24)*24/0.25,0)*0.25,"")
>>
>>> One hour needs to be added
>>
>> That's what this is doing: +1/24
>>
>> Biff
>
> Cheers Biff, that works perfectly.  I just used it on a s/shet I'd already
> done and it matched my figures every time.  This'll save me a few hours a
> day...  to do the other work!
>
> Rob
>

>> "Rob S" <rob@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi Group,
>>>
>>> Please could you give me an all singing, all dancing formula, or an
>>> explanation of how to put these together.
>>>
>>> A1        B1
>>> 23:00    07:30    =IF(B1<A1,B1+1,B1)-A1
>>>
>>> This gives me the hours and minutes 8:30 in C1 (Format/Custom/HH:MM)
>>> One hour needs to be added so... =C1+01:00 gives me 09:30 in D1
>>> (Format/Custom/HH:MM)
>>> Then I need it dislayed in decimal format =D1*24 which gives me 9.5
>>> in E1(Format/General)
>>>
>>> It's not actually set out like that A1 B1 C1 D1, with the result I
>>> need in E1, but it makes it easier to explain.
>>>
>>> It's not urgent, as I already have the calculator working, I'd just
>>> like to use this function elsewhere :-)
>>>

>>> Next on the list is how to round up and down, for when the hours are
>>> not as straightforward, I round them to the nearest 1/4 of an hour,
>>> for example
>>>
>>> 23:10    07:45  = 9.666666667  (It should be 9.5 by using  23:15 07:45)
>>> 21:05    11:30  = 15.41666667  (It should be 15.5 by using
>>> 21:00  11:30) Can all of this be put in one formula?
>>>
>>> These functions will be used on a spreadsheet and the final values
>>> copied across to another spreadsheet, so it doesn't matter if extra
>>> columns need to be created or hidden.
>>>

>>> Can you help?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Rob

0
biffinpitt (3172)
2/9/2007 6:33:27 PM
Hi Biff,

What is the correct result for
21:05 - 11:40
?

Your formula gives 15.5 but shouldn't it be 15.75?

15.75 would be our result if we round each input time, not just the
result:
=IF(COUNT(A1:B1)=2,1+(ROUND((B1+(B1<A1))*96,0)-ROUND(A1*96,0))/4,"")

Regards,
Bernd

0
bplumhoff1 (208)
2/10/2007 10:56:23 AM
>What is the correct result for 21:05 - 11:40?
>Your formula gives 15.5 but shouldn't it be 15.75?

I don't think so.

A1 = 21:05
B1 = 11:40

=B1-A1+(B1<A1)

returns: 14:35 (formatted as h:mm)

Add the hour (as per the op)

15:35

Rounded to the nearest 15m = 15:30

Converted to decimal = 15.5

Biff

"Bernd" <bplumhoff@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Biff,
>
> What is the correct result for
> 21:05 - 11:40
> ?
>
> Your formula gives 15.5 but shouldn't it be 15.75?
>
> 15.75 would be our result if we round each input time, not just the
> result:
> =IF(COUNT(A1:B1)=2,1+(ROUND((B1+(B1<A1))*96,0)-ROUND(A1*96,0))/4,"")
>
> Regards,
> Bernd

0
biffinpitt (3172)
2/10/2007 7:57:27 PM
Hi Biff,

If Rob is happy then it's fine.
But if he has a time system or a rule which asks for rounded inputs
then it can differ from a rounded result.

Regards,
Bernd

0
bplumhoff1 (208)
2/10/2007 9:35:22 PM
Bernd wrote:
> Hi Biff,
>
> If Rob is happy then it's fine.
> But if he has a time system or a rule which asks for rounded inputs
> then it can differ from a rounded result.
>
> Regards,
> Bernd

Hi Bernd

> What is the correct result for 21:05 - 11:40?
> Your formula gives 15.5 but shouldn't it be 15.75?

The result would be 15.75 if the times had been 21:00 - 11:40.  The times
are not required to be (in this case) *only* rounded up, it's just to the
nearest 1/4 hour, up *or* down. I see what you're getting at, but this
formula rounded them up and down exactly the way I would do it.

Great help this group isn't it! :-)

Cheers for the input

Rob

0
rob8682 (3)
2/11/2007 5:23:46 PM
Just a thought.......

If you need to round the times *before* the calculation.....

Someone could "game" the system and get an extra 15m pay per day (based on
Bernd's scenario).

I know a lot of people that come up with ways to get over! One of the most
egregious and outrageous offenders I've ever seen went on to become a member
of upper management! If they only knew what this person was doing!

> Bernd wrote:
>> Hi Biff,
>>
>> If Rob is happy then it's fine.
>> But if he has a time system or a rule which asks for rounded inputs
>> then it can differ from a rounded result.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Bernd
>
> Hi Bernd
>
>> What is the correct result for 21:05 - 11:40?
>> Your formula gives 15.5 but shouldn't it be 15.75?
>
> The result would be 15.75 if the times had been 21:00 - 11:40.  The times
> are not required to be (in this case) *only* rounded up, it's just to the
> nearest 1/4 hour, up *or* down. I see what you're getting at, but this
> formula rounded them up and down exactly the way I would do it.
>
> Great help this group isn't it! :-)
>
> Cheers for the input
>
> Rob

0
biffinpitt (3172)

::DrawText function
Forgive me if I appear to be thrashing a dead horse here, but I am making progress. I'm using the DrawText function in a windowless ActiveX control. This is working fine, although for some strange reason it is outputting the text on a white background - i.e. there is white surrounding the text, but nowhere else. I have managed to prove to myself that it is not because there is a white brush selected into the device context at the time, because I changed the definition of white to be RGB(255,255,0) i.e. yellow, instead of white, and it was still white. Besides there is a black brus...

Formulas #16
=SUM(IF(ISTEXT(D6:S6),1,0)) Whatever the result of the above formulas, I want to minus 1 to that result, How do I put the syntax so it will minus 1 unit from the result? Thanks =SUM(IF(ISTEXT(D6:S6),1,0))-1 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Raymond" <NotValidEmail@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:DLCdnW0OQ_lEp8ncRVn-pw@comcast.com... > =SUM(IF(ISTEXT(D6:S6),1,0)) > > Whatever the result of the above formulas, I want to minus 1 to that result, > How do I put the syntax so it will minus 1 unit from the result? > > Thanks > > What ...

Add Lookup Fields to Entity

Excel Add Ins

DateDiff Calculation -hours & minutes
Hi there I have a query with a formula to calculate the number of hours a load has taken. It is: =DateDif("h",[Startloaddatetime],[FinishLoaddatetime]) it shows the number of hours rounded up to the nearest hour. I want it to show the minutes as well. Is there a way to do this, if so, how is it done? -- Thank-you! Ruth Ruth, Try one of these: http://www.pacificdb.com.au/MVP/Code/Age2.htm http://www.pacificdb.com.au/MVP/Code/Diff2Dates.htm Regards, Graham R Seach Microsoft Access MVP Sydney, Australia "Ruth" <Ruth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot...

Add on

POS 2009 Add-In: Populating a Task Pad

Formatting within function/equations
Trying to do some vlookup equations... they are working fine, but they only bring over the value, not the formating. In the particular problem I'm working on, the text value may or may not end with a superscripted number (test^1). When the vlookup happens, the text appears the superscripted number appears as regular text (test1). Anyway to build formating capabilities within an equation? Formulas return values--not formatting. Maybe you could use a macro to copy|paste??? jomurf wrote: > > Trying to do some vlookup equations... they are working fine, but they only > bri...

Add-in cannot be loaded OL07

Format text to add character

Excel formula for this...
Ok i want an excel formula to do this hopefully simple task... Say i have cell A1 with the word "dog" in it and cell B2 with the word "Cat" in it i want cell H5 to have the data in the previously mentioned cells so that it reads "dog, Cat" So in english i guess i want multiple cell values in once cell separated by a space or a comma or whatever. Thanks Max Try: =A1&", "&B2 MRO "Max Sand" <Max@gk.com> wrote in message news:Yx55b.4433$bC1.2817@newsfep4-winn.server.ntli.net... > Ok i want an excel formula to do this hope...

Add File menu to custom toolbar

add a DC in a LegSite

Computing formula for time
I have three columns: StartTime, EndTime, TimeTaken and the format of all three is "time" Now i want to compute the time taken using start time and endtime. i.e timetaken = endtime - starttime Can anybody tell how to add funtion for this in My sheet. i.e on entering endtime and starttime i should get the time taken Rohit Hi Rohit! The following return the answer in time serial numbers representing decimal parts of a day. =B1-A1+(B1<A1) OR: =B1-A1+IF(B1<A1,1,0) OR: =MOD(B1-A1,1) In all cases we can choose the time format to be displayed. hh:mm:ss displays 09:15:00 h:...

How to sort using formula?
Does anybody know a trick to sort data using formula? Example: User input: 2,5,1,3,4 Formula result (referring to user input cells): 1,2,3,4,5 Thanks Arie Arie, I'm not sure about what you want but I'll give it a try. Suppose your user entry is in column A1:A5 Select B1:B5 ( B1 will be the highlighted "active" cell) and type =Small(A1:A5,{1,2,3,4,5}). Confirm the formula not with <ENTER> but with <CNTRL>+<SHIFT>+<ENTER>. Tis is called array input of the formula. In cell B1:B5 the figures you gave are now ordered (ascending). I hope this i...

subtract half an hour from hours and minutes
could somebody please point me in the right direction here. Im tryin subtract 30 minutes form a cell containing a number of hours an minutes formatted using [h}:mm custom cell forma -- MajorGeneralDe ----------------------------------------------------------------------- MajorGeneralDes's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=370 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31945 Any of these will work: =A1-"00:30" =A1-TIME(,30,) =A1-1/24/2 HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- > >could somebod...

excel add-ons

Map Add-On?

Proper display of TIME from a formula
I need some help with the time in a formula please. I have this info in each cell: Friday, September 14, 2007 - Sidewalk 65 - 8:00 PM - Tom & Betty's - 387-3311 This is the formula I am using: =TEXT(F5,"m-dd-ddd")&G5&H5&I5&J5&K5&L5&M5&N5&O5&P5 Here is the result: 9-14-Fri - Sidewalk 65 - 0.833333333333333 - Tom & Betty's - 387-3311 It is returning 0.833333333333333 for what I would like to show as 8:00 PM The 8:00 PM is in cell J5. Please tell me the proper formula to make this happen. Thanks, I think this would work: =TE...

Formula in a form
I have a form that holds about 8 comboboxes. The comboboxes contain two choices in the dropdown, "Open" and "Closed." I would like for everytime somebody clicks on "Open," every other combobox that contains "Open" will turn to "Closed." Please provide suggestions if you know how to do this. Thanks. On Nov 15, 6:44 am, Chris J. <Chr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a form that holds about 8 comboboxes. The comboboxes contain two > choices in the dropdown, "Open" and "Closed." I would like f...

Inserting a list into "If" function
Column A has a long list of items that I use in a drop-down list that I named "CreatureList" How can use the "If" function and/or other functions to test for two or more arguments without having to insert the names of the individual items in the list into the arguments of the formula? Example: Column A drop down list, entitled "CreatureList" Cats Dogs Horses Sharks etc. Describing the function: If any of the 20 animals from the Creature list, then insert "Mammals"; if any other creature from the list, then insert "Fish&qu...