How does the TRANSPOSE command work?

For the life of me, i can't figure it out. I've tried
highlighting, not highlighting, i'm just stupid.

if a1:c1 =  1,2,3

and i want a2, a3, a4 = 1, 2, 3, step by step (including
highlighting because I can't get it to work), how would
you use the transpose command? I know...SIMPLE question,
but I can't get it to work for the life of me!!!
0
anonymous (74722)
10/29/2004 6:13:12 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi AJ

easiest option
highlight A1:C1
copy
click on A2
choose edit / paste special
tick the transpose box
press OK

if you REALLY want to use the transpose function (and this is one of the
first things i learnt from this ng!)
then
click in A2
highlight down to A4
type
=TRANSPOSE(A1:C1)
and press CONTROL & SHIFT & ENTER to enter the formula (its an array formula
so just ENTER wont work).

Cheers
JulieD

"AJ" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For the life of me, i can't figure it out. I've tried
> highlighting, not highlighting, i'm just stupid.
>
> if a1:c1 =  1,2,3
>
> and i want a2, a3, a4 = 1, 2, 3, step by step (including
> highlighting because I can't get it to work), how would
> you use the transpose command? I know...SIMPLE question,
> but I can't get it to work for the life of me!!!

0
JulieD1 (2295)
10/29/2004 6:28:54 AM
Besides TRANSPOSE(), you might also want to try ..

In A2: =OFFSET($A$1,,ROW(A1)-ROW($A$1))
(press ENTER will do, need not be array-entered)

Copy A2 down to A4

--
Rgds
Max
"AJ" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For the life of me, i can't figure it out. I've tried
> highlighting, not highlighting, i'm just stupid.
>
> if a1:c1 =  1,2,3
>
> and i want a2, a3, a4 = 1, 2, 3, step by step (including
> highlighting because I can't get it to work), how would
> you use the transpose command? I know...SIMPLE question,
> but I can't get it to work for the life of me!!!

0
demechanik (4694)

COMMAND Vs. UPDATE_COMMAND_UI
Hello all, When I add an even handler for a menu item, I am presented with a choice of two message types: COMMAND UPDATE_COMMAND_UI What is the difference between these? Thanks, Dave COMMAND is where you do what the menu item tells you UPDATE_COMMAND_UI is where you enable/disable the menu item, change its text, or add a check mark or something like that. void CWhereever::OnUpdateStopRun(CCmdUI * pCmdUI) { pCmdUI->EnableWIndow(canstoporrun); if(canstoporrun) if(running) pCmdUI->SetText(_T("Stop")); else pCmdUI->Set...

Send To\Mail Recipient not working
I have WinXP w/Outlook 2003. When I right click a file and choose Send To\Mail Recipient, the feature does not work. I have got it to work one time by going to Control Panels\Add Remove Programs\Set Program Access and Defaults. There I select Microsoft Windows, (instead of Custom), restart the computer and I can then send to mail recipient, but only one time. After that I get the Error message, Microsoft Office Outlook, The operation failed. This feature works when I select Outlook Express as my default Email client in Internet options. Please can someone help! Thanks in advance. Gregg ...

Enter key not working in Excel
How do I unlock my 'enter' key in Excel. It works in other programs but has stopped working in Excel. The arrow keys are fine, but I can no longer "return" anywhere using the 'enter' button. Hi one idea: goto 'Tools - Options - Edit' and check that the selection moves after hitting ENTER -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Dana wrote: > How do I unlock my 'enter' key in Excel. It works in other programs > but has stopped working in Excel. The arrow keys are fine, but I can > no longer "return" anywhere using the 'en...

INDEX do not work
hi... I have this cell containing {=INDEX(poeng_1;MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307;poeng_1))} It stopped working. It's supposed to fetch the last numer i a column but not the nulls It shows 0 even though it should say 24 right now.. -- Kind regards ´┐Żyvind Granberg tresfjording@live.no www.tresfjording.com There's nothing wrong with your formula, although it *doesn't* need the CSE entry (if that's what the curly brackets signify), AND it could be shortened to: =INDEX(poeng_1;MATCH(99^99;poeng_1)) OR =LOOKUP(99^99;poeng_1) I would suspect something's differen...

transposing info.
I want to transfer information from one spreadsheet to another with different titles on the columns. How do I do this? I want to direct the values on the column which has a different title column to the sheet that I want to move it to. Thanks guideme wrote: > I want to transfer information from one spreadsheet to another with > different titles on the columns. How do I do this? > > I want to direct the values on the column which has a different title > column to the sheet that I want to move it to. > > Thanks This is more of moving data to another sheet which has di...

Transposing list of numbers
I'm using Excel 2003. I have a list of 400 numbers in Column A, I would like to transpose it across 7 columns and 58 rows. Is there an easy way to do this? I understand I can do the copy/paste special/transpose for 7 at a time. Thank you. -- jlhcat Sub ColtoRows() Dim rng As Range Dim i As Long Dim J As Long Set rng = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp) J = 1 On Error Resume Next nocols = 7 'InputBox("Enter Number of Columns Desired") For i = 1 To rng.Row Step nocols Cells(J, "A").Resize(1, nocols).Value = _ ...

Transpose question
I have a MASTER summary worksheet with this layout 07-Sep 14-Sep 21-Sep 28-Sep 05 - Oct Total No of late deliveries 36 40 20 10 9 115 No of Drivers 18 32 11 11 4 76 getting its info from WEEKLY worksheets eg 03-Sep 04-Sep 05-Sep 06-Sep 07-Sep Total No of late deliveries 7 8 7 7 7 36 No of Drivers 4 3 1 6 4 18 I would like the master layout to be like : No of late deliveries No of Drivers 07-Sep 36 18 14-Sep 40 32 21-Sep 20 11 28-Sep 10 11 05-Oct 9 4 Total 115 76 But as the values in the MASTER worksheet ...

recipient policy stopped working

oldcompanyweb won't work
I am in the process of migrating from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008. Everything seems to have worked well until I hit a wall on the Sharepoint migration. I copied the "old" companywed site to the target server, per the instructions, mounted the STS_SERVERname_1 database and created the web application named "oldcompanyweb". Then I got to the step where I have to set the site collection administrators. When the site collection administrators dialog opens and I try to select site collection "oldcompanyweb" the selection pane says there are no items to show in this ...

CEdit, CFormView and Cut, Copy Paste commands
Hi, I have a CFormView derived class. My context menu includes the Copy, Cut and Paste commands and it works. However, I cannot use the keyboard for these commands. I've followed the instructions in: KB article "How to Enable Edit Menu Commands for Edit Controls" Article ID: Q145616 (http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q145/6/16.asp) but it does not work for me. The handlers are never been called. Any idead? Thanks, Janiv Ratson. What do you mean by keyboard does not work? Do you mean accelerators, eg Ctrl+C etc. ? If yes, make sure your accelerator table has all...

Command IDs in message map handlers.
The message map contains hundreds of ON_COMMAND( nId, OnThisThatAndTheOther ) Once one is inside the function OnThisThatAndTheOther() is there any easy and elegant way to extract the value of nId which resulted in its being called? Dave -- David Webber Author of 'Mozart the Music Processor' http://www.mozart.co.uk For discussion/support see http://www.mozart.co.uk/mzusers/mailinglist.htm Have a look at ON_COMMAND_EX macro. -Seetharam >The message map contains hundreds of >ON_COMMAND( nId, OnThisThatAndTheOther ) > >Once one is inside the function >OnThis...

SEND TO function does not work unless Outlook is open
I have several computers that cannot use the SEND TO (AS FILE ATTACHMENT) function. For example, if they are in Excel 2003 and they do NOT have Outlook open, they can click on SEND TO and they get the correct message window on the screen where they can type in the address of the person to send the message to. It will even connect to their Exchange profile and allow them to verify the recipient's name. When they click send though they get the following two errors: "The action could not be completed." Click OK and get this: "General Mail Failure. Quit Microsoft Offic...

TSQL Transpose
Hi All! I'm trying to create a query that does a real transpose similar to Excel function - it is slightly different from Pivot/Unpivot functionality of SQL Server. Basically, I have a date dimension table and I need to list corresponding dates, separated by coma for each month. So, for January 2010, my results would be something like this: Month Dates 2010-01 01/01/2010, 01/02/2010, 01/03/2010...01/31/2010 What would be a way to achieve this? Thanks, Pasha Seems you just need to concatenate the date. Here is method using FOR XML PATH: SELECT DISTI...

Command Line Outlook 2000
Is it possible to get outlook 2000 to send an email with an attachment from the command line? I want to automate the process of sending a particular email file each day. You may have to write actual VBScript, VBA or other code to send. http://www.winnetmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=21522&pg=1 http://www.outlookcode.com/d/vb.htm K. Orland Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny "Colm Farrell" wrote: > Is it possible to get outlook 2000 to send an email with an a...

Receipt Template trying to Print Session Variable not working
Hello, I am setting mySession.Variable(1) in my add-in code that gets run right before the printing, I am using the Hook 1, which runs right before printing. So my hook is running fine and setting the variable, but I see no info or can not find any info on how to get my XML receipt template to print the variable. I tried the Session.Variable(1) in the receipt template, but I get a token error on the receipt template. What am I missing. Thank you, Nick. "ClothingStore" wrote: > Hello, > I am setting mySession.Variable(1) in my add-in code that gets run right > ...

transpose #2
How do I do a transpose in excel 2002? Thanks. Highlight your range > Right click Copy > select a blank cell > Right click Paste Special > Transpose > OK "abc" wrote: > How do I do a transpose in excel 2002? Thanks. > > > ...

How does debt reduction planner work?
I'm a Money 2005 standard user that's interested in upgrading to 2006 deluxe if the debt reduction planner does what I think it will do. There's plenty of online debt reduction calculators that will let me input debt and a number of months until I want to have it paid off and then will generate a schedule to get there. However, these do not allow for variable interest (as in an introductory rate that changes in so many months) credit cards in the schedule. Also, they don't have a way to recalculate when you make an extra payment without total starting over. Is this something ...

How do I get Solver to work
I tried to use 'Guidelines for designing a model to find values with Solver', to experiment with the model, but Solver returned the same values as original $10,000 per quarter for Advertising. Target cell is $F$7, Constrained cell is $F$5 = $40000, Adjustable cells are $B$5:$E$5. What am I doing wrong? Graeme - The first thing I would check to debug the model is to verify that the target cell value (and the constraint formula cell value) changes when you manually enter various values into the changing cells. - Mike www.mikemiddleton.com "Graeme" <Graeme@dis...

can't open this item
Another problem - the original problem seemed to be the Internet Security Suite I had installed. All the problems went away after I uninstalled the suite but that left me vulnerable to virus attacks. So, I installed the AVG free program and now, I'm unable (once again) to open most of my messages. I had already uninstalled and reinstalled the entire Office suite of programs but now I'm stumped. Anyone???? Nadyne Nelson <nadyne@prospectiveplanning.com> wrote: > Another problem - the original problem seemed to be the Internet > Security Suite I had installed. Al...

Vision Help Files not Working
When I open the help files in Visio Profession 2007 I get the Contents but nothing else. The search does not help. Any suggestions? I don't have Visio 2007 here, but don't the help files have to be downloaded ? "Integrated Engineer" wrote: > When I open the help files in Visio Profession 2007 I get the Contents but > nothing else. The search does not help. > > Any suggestions? Have you try to repair your installation reinstalling visio ? Enjoy with visio "Integrated Engineer" <Integrated Engineer@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dan...

Formulas in Spread sheet quit working???
I have a database in a spreadsheet that keeps track of stats for a couple of teams I am on. The formulas have quit working now. Every single formula has quit working since I last worked on the sheet last week. Even simple adding of columns. I can enter the information in the columns and then go to the cell with the formula and open and hit enter and it refreshes the cell and starts working. Any Ideas???? This is very frustrating. Thanks for any help. Richie Richie, Is Tools/Options/Calculation set to Automatic?? John Richie wrote: > I have a database in a spreadsheet tha...

Transpose into a _working_ transposed array
I want to transpose an array into a _working_ transposed array. What I find in the help is the TRANSPOSE function, that produces a transposed array full of TRANSPOSE funstions, not an array full of the original constants and functions, transposed in space (cell occupancy) and in formula references. How do I go about doing the latter? Hi Fred, Perhaps I don't get your question right. But ... - select your source range - select the first target cell - Edit-Paste Special check Transpose and [OK] This sets all values and formulas 90 degrees rotated. Frans "Fred Holmes" <f...

How can I update an MS Access table record from within Execl works
In my Excel spreadsheet, I have created a link to an MS Access database table, where it imports data from Access to Excel. Now from that same Excel spreadsheet, I want to find a way to update (change) a record in the MS Access database table. Is there anyway to do this? Thanks, David ...

how to display work by resource for a summary task
What's the easiest way to get the total hours, broken down by resource for a particular summary task? Hi, Resourced Usage View Project menu Group By, New Group Click Group assignments, not resources Group by Task Outline number (assignments) Then By Name (resource) That's it. HTH -- Jan De Messemaeker Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional +32 495 300 620 For availabliy check: http://users.online.be/prom-ade/Calendar.pdf "vro" <vro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:382DEB9F-2799-4D0C-84DF-BF4891D75431@microsoft.com... &g...

building block control wont work when protected as form
I have been trying to set up form letters etc in Word. I have managed to struggle through Microsoft's hopelessly inadequate help in Word 07 and online, stumbled accross some good 3rd party blogs etc so that I now have a limited understanding on the content controls. I have even managed to work out how to set up autotext to use with the building block control so that I can select the paragraph appropriate to the circumstances for my lettter - it works great if the document is not protected in any way. However when I protect the document to 'fill in forms only' thi...