how do I stop Excel taking decimal fractions as dates?

sometimes when I enter decimal fractions Excel thinks this is a date. How do
I stop this?

0
A6686 (35)
10/21/2006 9:35:45 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi

Insert a single quote before the fraction '3/4
The quote will not show up in the cell, but it will tell Excel to treat
the cell as Text.

Alternatively, Format>Cells>Number>Fractions
3/4 will display as 3/4 but will be stored as 0.75 and can be used in
further calculations.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"aa" <A@aa.com> wrote in message
> sometimes when I enter decimal fractions Excel thinks this is a date.
> How do
> I stop this?

0
roger5293 (1125)
10/21/2006 9:40:47 PM
If you mean that when you type something like 1/4 Excel converts it to 4-Jan,

Try this:
Pre-format the input cells to "Number"

From the Excel main menu:
Category: Number
Click [OK]

Now, when you input fractions...they convert to decimal numbers
e.g. 1/4 becomes 0.25

(If the format was "General" Excel takes its best guess at what you meant.
In the case of fractions, dates often result.)

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"aa" wrote:

> sometimes when I enter decimal fractions Excel thinks this is a date. How do
> I stop this?

I forgot to mention....
if you want the fraction to remain a numeric fraction...

Either set the numeric format of the cell to "fraction"
OR
when entering the fraction, precede it with a zero and a space:
e.g. 0 1/4  would have a value of 0.25, but display as 1/4

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

> If you mean that when you type something like 1/4 Excel converts it to 4-Jan,
>
> Try this:
> Pre-format the input cells to "Number"
>
> From the Excel main menu:
> Category: Number
> Click [OK]
>
> Now, when you input fractions...they convert to decimal numbers
> e.g. 1/4 becomes 0.25
>
> (If the format was "General" Excel takes its best guess at what you meant.
> In the case of fractions, dates often result.)
>
> Does that help?
> ***********
> Regards,
> Ron
>
> XL2002, WinXP
>

> "aa" wrote:
>
> > sometimes when I enter decimal fractions Excel thinks this is a date. How do
> > I stop this?

Thanks.
I am talking about decimal fractions like 0.25 not 1/4
I am entering digits and therefore entering comma every time is a chore
Also how do I set this as a default in Excel once and forever so as when I
start Excel I do not need to do this formatting?

"aa" <A@aa.com> wrote in message
> sometimes when I enter decimal fractions Excel thinks this is a date. How
do
> I stop this?

0
A6686 (35)
10/21/2006 10:24:06 PM
OK....now I need more details...

On my PC, if I type 0.25, that's exactly Excel puts in the cell and displays.

Exactly what to you type
and what does Excel convert it to?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"aa" wrote:

> Thanks.
> I am talking about decimal fractions like 0.25 not 1/4
> I am entering digits and therefore entering comma every time is a chore
> Also how do I set this as a default in Excel once and forever so as when I
> start Excel I do not need to do this formatting?
>
> "aa" <A@aa.com> wrote in message
> > sometimes when I enter decimal fractions Excel thinks this is a date. How
> do
> > I stop this?

Hi, Ron, I think I now see what was the problem. On the computer I am using
the decimal separator is set to use comma (","). Therefore when I used dot,
it took it as a character string rather than a number.
Thanks for help

"Ron Coderre" <ronREMOVETHIScoderre@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> OK....now I need more details...
>
> On my PC, if I type 0.25, that's exactly Excel puts in the cell and
displays.

> Exactly what to you type
> and what does Excel convert it to?
>
> ***********
> Regards,
> Ron
>
> XL2002, WinXP
>

> "aa" wrote:
>
> > Thanks.
> > I am talking about decimal fractions like 0.25 not 1/4
> > I am entering digits and therefore entering comma every time is a chore
> > Also how do I set this as a default in Excel once and forever so as when
> > start Excel I do not need to do this formatting?
> >
> > "aa" <A@aa.com> wrote in message
> > > sometimes when I enter decimal fractions Excel thinks this is a date.
How
> > do
> > > I stop this?

0
A6686 (35)

Null Value for Blank Date Range
Hello, I am having an issue with a query I have built. I have a query which searches through a table and returns a couple of fields, one of which is called DateOfWork. The query is run when a form is filled in by the user. The user has the option to specify a date range on the form (text boxes) or leave the dates blank. What I would like to have is, if the dates are blank, the query returns all values. If the dates are specified, then the query only returns values between the dates. I have done this before, but only for one textbox/combobox. I did it by filling the following info into t...

How do you remove the outside border on a chart in Excel 2007?
I have created several charts and an outside border appears on the page. I want to remove that border. ...

Excel Files on the Web
Hi, I'm looking at setting up all our excel reporting on my company intranet. We have numerous excel based reports that we currently have on our server that we email out to users. However, we have a diverse user group who reside in many different locations. I'm just looking at any basic advice or software on how this can be achieved. Thanks. ...

new to excel...
Hi all, I am a programmer but have not used excel in a long time... I am considering myself a new user, and I just exported a couple of sql server tables into excel spreadsheets that I need to compile into a report. The data is basically a product of a survey from which I need to do summaries and charts. The first question is : Is there a way to summarize using conditionals? That is, while the summary is being done, to have counters for different values? The nex is to what is the easiest way to produce a frequency chart from value results in a column. Thanks, and have a wonderful day. ...

update a date cell only when worksheet is edited
Hi. is there a function that updates the date cell automatically only when the worksheet is edited or something to that effect. thank you This might help http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/timestamp.html Regards Rowan Joe Black wrote: > Hi. is there a function that updates the date cell automatically only when > the worksheet is edited or something to that effect. thank you ...

Excel Tool Bar Gone
My "alpha" excel tool bar is gone (e.g., File, Edit, Data, Help). The object tool bars are still there, but I can't figure out how the "alpha" tool bar left or, more importantly, how to get it back. Any ideas? Right click on a toolbar, and choose Customize from the pop up menu. In the dialog that displays, ensure that "Worksheet Menu Bar" is checked. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "txhokie1" <txhokie1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14EE5353-8723-...

stops responding

suppress decimal point combine print word and excel
When I use word to combine print (office 2002). some excel numberic value is long than I expect, I want to suppress decimal point only two digital . for example 20.22233222424 trans to 20.22 how can I do ? scwu@dfjh.tpc.edu.tw Hi in Word you can apply a format to imported fields or round your data in the Excel file with ROUND -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany thomas wrote: > When I use word to combine print (office 2002). > some excel numberic value is long than I expect, I want to suppress > decimal point only two digital . > for example 20.22233222424 trans to 20....

blue stop screen 0x0000007E

QuickBooks export to Excel
Suddenly, my QuickBooks program no longer allows me to export to Excel. Worked fine a week ago. I can log onto QB from every other pc in the office, and export to Excel works. Any ideas? Since you are exporting from QB I would start at that end. What trouble-shooting have you done? What message do you get when you try an export from QB? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 06:41:02 -0700, SecurityGuy <SecurityGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Suddenly, my QuickBooks program no longer allows me to export to Excel. >Worked fine a week ago. I...

Excel opens with an error report whenever I Boot Up my computer
A couple of days ago, I noticed that whenever I boot up my computer, an error report comes up indicating that Excel needs to close because of error. I unistalled office and the message wnet away. But when I reinstalled Office, the message came right back. Thoughts? ...

Incorrect date in line chart in Excel.
I'm having difficulty with a line chart. I've got two ranges of numbers of two types of calls (from 1972 through 2004) that goes up from 50 to 7700. My chart's Y axis has automatically decided to show from 0 to 16,000. On the chart itself, my data placement starts at about 6,000 (for both 24 “F” calls and 649 “M” calls in the year 1972) and goes up to a point above 14,000 (for a figure that should only be just above 7000). I've tried to change the scale of my Y axis, but when I am able to so (2 out of 5 times) my data then goes off the chart. So I've looked at m...

Pivot Table - wont refresh
I've not experienced this problem in Excel 2000, but after upgrading to Excel 2003, there's an odd problem. Has anyone experience something similar - User error or bug? The problem: 1. Create pivot table with pivot table 'pages'. 2. The page selection list includes a listing that is not in the raw data. Refreshing the pivot table wont reset. It is possible to ascertain from the list order, which data item is being incorrectly shown. 3. In the raw data, replace the name of the incorrectly displayed data item with something else (eg 'ABC') 4. refresh the pivot tab...

recipient policy stopped working

European Version of Excel different from North American?
Hi, I have a user who has received a spreadsheet from Ireland, and it contains formulas that I haven't seen before. Either the formulas are wrong or they are able to use different forumulas out there (we are located in Canada). For example: ='PV ORIGINAL'!D19 Any suggestions? Hi In this particular case this is not a formula but a simple reference to a cell D19 from another worksheet named PV ORIGINAL in the same workbook. HTH Cordially Pascal "ryandelage" <ryandelage@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de news:BEC41365-BC74-42E5-967A-EBCFB1F027...

Export PDF information into Microsoft Excel
What do you do with your data that's stuck in your PDF forms? FDF Decoder from Spotted Dingo Inc., gives you the ability to quickly turn your useless PDF information into a data mine of valuable information. FDF Decoder is a desktop application which creates csv files from your pdf interactive forms (acroforms) in individual or batch file mode. You then can easily import your information into Microsoft Excel to create intelligent spread sheets which can then be entered into databases and aid you in your statistical analysis. FDF Decoder works with the PDF's exported Form Data (FDF...

Date of Convergence 2005
Anyone know the date of the 2005 Great Plains Convergence? If you search CustomerSource or PartnerSource for "Convergence 2005," you will get a list of links. Here's a link: https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/newsevents/news/newsgeneral/conv05_news.htm?printpage=false The short answer is March 6 - 9 at the San Diego Convention Center. "Sandy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01a301c4b6fb$fba33440$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Anyone know the date of the 2005 Great Plains Convergence? ...

Where is the international option in Excel 2010?
Can someone help me to find the international option in Excel 2010? In the older version of Excel it was under the tools/options/ international tab. I'm having a terrible time finding it in Excel 2010 :o thanks for you help, ~Tom ...

converting pdf to excel #2
does anyone know how to convert pdf into excel without cheating and paying for a converter. I know it can be done i just havent figured it out yet Hi without a converter it is down to manual copy, paste and adjusting the format. Keep in mind that a PDF file was originally meant to be the LAST stage in a document creating process! -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany NEVER BEEN ABLE TO DO BEFORE...converting pdf to excel wrote: > does anyone know how to convert pdf into excel without > cheating and paying for a converter. I know it can be done > i just havent figured it out ...

Complex Time Window / date based calculation
Excel 2002 SP3 Win XP HE *Follow-up to: microsoft.public.excel* Hi, I have the following: Columns A B C D E F G H I J Date Field 1 Field 2 Field 3 Field 4 Field 5 Field 6 Field 7 Field 8 Field 9 12/31/1996 xyz 58979 23539 1880 1937 1837 1930 100 1/30/1997 xyz 58979 23539 1925 1965 1787 1822 -5.60% 94.40 2/28/1997 xyz 58979 23539 1925 1965 1787 1822 -5.60% 94.40 3/31/1997 abc 58979 23539 1925 1965 1787 1822 -5.60% 94.40 etc. I need to be able to modify the last column (column J) so that the number 100 starts at TODAY() - 1 year (the "-" is a minus sign) as we...

Is there a "replace" or "substitute" command in Excel's VB?
Hi, I was hoping someone could help me with a quick question. Is there a command something like "substitute" or "replace"? I basically want a command that will replace all instances of a particular character with another character... For example, I'd like to remove all the spaces from the string "hello there world" to make it "hellothereworld". Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks tanast, try =SUBSTITUTE(A2," ","") regards, JohnI <tanast@ing.com.au> wrote in message news:3fd02534.23059477@news.clari.net.au.....

Excel 2007
Hi all - first post to this ng I've just had my first play with Excel 2007 and (while I appreciate things move on) I don't like the new ribbon interface. In particular it's irritating me that (having been an Excel user since 1994) I consider myself something of an expert - yet this new interface is actually slowing me down. I've heard (can't remember where now) that there's a way to put the old interface back (but you need to buy some 3rd party software to do this). Is this true? Is this the only way to do it? I just wondered if there was an update which inc...