How do I prevent Excel from replacing path in hyperlink when saved

I´ve created a hyperlink in a cell using the Insert Hyperlink option. I'm
using the path (F:\myfile.txt). When I save the document, the hyperlink
changes to (\\MyServer\MyPath\myfile.txt). Is it possible to prevent this,
because if the servername is changed in the future the link won't work

Regards Rico
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Use the =HYPERLINK() function:

=HYPERLINK("F:\myfile.txt","myfile")
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200810

"Rico B. Raben" wrote:

> I´ve created a hyperlink in a cell using the Insert Hyperlink option. I'm
> using the path (F:\myfile.txt). When I save the document, the hyperlink
> changes to (\\MyServer\MyPath\myfile.txt). Is it possible to prevent this,
> because if the servername is changed in the future the link won't work
>
> Regards Rico
0
GarysStudent (1572)
10/29/2008 9:54:01 AM
A few people have said that this has resolved the problem for them:

File|Properties|Summary Tab|Hyperlink Base
change it to C:\
(something that's always available)

I like to use the =hyperlink() worksheet function.  It has never failed me this
way:

=hyperlink("file:////yourpathtothe/something.xxx","Click me")

==============
If you have to change lots and lots and lots back...

You could use the code from David McRitchie's site:

look for:
Fix Hyperlinks       (#FixHyperlinks)

(If it's just a few, I'd do it manually.)

--

Dave Peterson
0

Thanks a lot for your answers - I will have a look soon as possible

Regards Rico

Office Excel
How do I open Office Excel from the desk , or from a map. in Office 2003 you could open Excel by right klick and then open it. but in Excel 2007 you dont have that choise, why? ...

sort column data with hidden columns
I want to sort on a column of data (card #) where my worksheet has hidden columns. I read in help that I should unhide the columns, but I am trying to avoid that because it is a corporate worksheet and I have to copy/paste data into it each month. Is there any other way that I can accomplish a sort with hidden columns? I have zero experience with macros...would a macro be able to sort data with hidden columns in it? HELP! I'm trying to find a way to save hundreds of hours/year in gas receipt reconciliations... Hi 'nan'- As long as your data is arranged in consecutiv...

Horticulturist Doing Excel #2
Thanks ! Thats what I was looking for. -- emul ------------------------------------------------------------------------ emul's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16437 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=278005 ...

using find in excel from C# code
Hi, I am working to make an aplication that open an existing excel file, search for some text and notifies the result. Now, when I run it, before the excel file's opens get this error: COMException Types mismatch (Exception HRESULT: 0x80020005 (DISP_E_TYPEMISMATCH)) My code is: object oMissing = System.Reflection.Missing.Value; Excel.ApplicationClass oExcel = new Excel.ApplicationClass(); oExcel.Visible = true; Excel.Workbooks oBooks = oExcel.Workbooks; Excel._Workbook oBook = null; ...

Map projection as an Excel chart
Can I download Excel chart based on a map projection? ...

Prevent the sales from Tendering when another Item is Scan at POS
Hello, We have serveral items that our Retail does have price assign to them. The cashier will scan the next item. They will not notice the last item they did not enter a price. Now the 2nd item is the price for the 1st item. Then the cashier will tender out the sales without noticing they have an incorrect total for this transaction. Then the store manager have to performed a post void for this transaction, which hold up the customer awaiting to check out. Have anyone else encounter this and know a way to limited sale from being total out of an acceptable sales amount...

Print Selected Items in Excel Order Form
Hi, I’m new to the site and also to Visual Basic. I have found the following code from Dave Peterson on http://www.contextures.com/xlForm03.html, which does more or less what I want apart from one thing, which I can’t figure out how to change. Values from the worksheet list, starting in Column B and moving right, are copied to the order form, into the addresses specified. Instead of copying values from Column B and moving right (as in B1, C1, D1...), I would like to copy to the form only selected cells like B1, D1, H1... Print Marked Items Code Option Base 0 Sub Print...

Excel VBA Gurus needed
I am an executive recruiter. I have several positions available within a large investment bank located in Manhattan, New York. These positions are with in the global derivatives section of the bank. If you have a good amount of experience with Excel VBA please do not hesitate to email me with a copy of your resume at david@careercapital.net with a copy of your resume. Thanks and i look forward to speaking to you soon! The positions are high level positions that range from 80k - 150k on a base salary. -- Career Capital --------------------------------------------------------------------...

Table of contents with hyperlinks to worksheets, plus "home" hyperlink
I would like to find a way to insert a "Home" hyperlink on all worksheets in a workbook. The hyperlink should link to Sheet1!A1 (my table of contents worksheet). Presently I have to enter the hyperlink one a time on each worksheet. Is there a way I can do this in one go? Some background information: I am trying to automate the process of setting up my workbooks. (I have nearly worked out how to do this). Sheet 1 should be the table of contents TOC. The rest of the sheets: one worksheet per item in the TOC, with a hyperlink to each worksheet from the TOC. This macro creates workshe...

How can I make excel recognize my new printer. I have made it the.
How can I make excel recognize my new printer. I have made it a default printer and can print from other programs. The best answers to EXCEL questions will be found in an EXCEL newsgroup. Select EXCEL from the list on the left, then select a subitem associated with your query, such as Printing. Be sure to describe exactly what happens when you try to select the new printer. -- "Pat SP" <Pat SP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8812E94C-FE3A-4DD8-867F-45640BD66D3A@microsoft.com... > How can I make excel recognize my new printer. I have made it a defaul...

Hyperlinks Shortened/Modified by Excel
I have a master file that references a multitude of other files. To link the other files, I am using a hyperlink that looks like this: \\company.com\SHARE\folder\document name.doc This allows any user within the company to access the file. However, each time I save the file and reopen it, the links have been changed to this: .../../../../../../SHARE/folder/document%20name.doc I noticed, too, that if I reference the file this way: E:\SHARE\folder\document name.doc ....Excel changes it to the following: document%20name.doc (the master document is housed in the E:\SH...

How do I create a Title row or field in Excel 2003?
At the top of my spreadsheet I want to create a row that is the name or title. I want it locked and unchanging once created. One way: Select cell A2. Choose Window/Freeze Panes In article <BD68C9F9-125B-45AC-A8F0-08122CB1E6DA@microsoft.com>, hookturner <hookturner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > At the top of my spreadsheet I want to create a row that is the name or > title. I want it locked and unchanging once created. ...

Excel CRASHES when I try to save
even a blank worksheet How can I fix this problem? Please help thanks A little more info would help, does it occur with any file from any directory, etc etc..................this is something that occurs regularly if you are working on a file on a network and the path gets interrupted.....about all you can do in that case is "save" a lot when it's working. Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "betttor77" wrote: > even a blank worksheet > > How can I fix this problem? > > Please help > thanks > > ...

Excel 2007 on Vista
avoid this? When I minimise my excel 2007 worksheet I lose the ribbon. How can I Sounds like you are minimizing the application, not the workbook. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 06:23:02 -0700, Mary Hitt <Mary Hitt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >avoid this? When I minimise my excel 2007 worksheet I lose the ribbon. How >can I ...

How do I create a drop down box in Excel for another person to see
How do I create a drop down box in Excel for another person to select from. For example I want someone to give me the answer to a question using the drop down box for the answer. Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:DD0016C4-C699-4072-995B-EBD986EEEED7@microsoft.com... > How do I create a drop down box in Excel for another person to select from. > For example I want someone to give me the answer to a question using the drop > down box for...

Auto Save
Does Excel 2000 still have the autosave add-in option? The only thing I can find is the auto-recovery under tools and options. My old version had an option that I had set to prompt me every 10 minutes if I wanted to save the current file. Please reply any help via e-mail. Thanks... ...

preventing date from changing
I have an If condition that sets the date to "today()" true or "today() + 1" if false. My question is how do I prevent the date from changing? If the date is set for today, then tomorrow I don't want to "update". How can this be done? thanks You could copy the cell, and paste as values, before you close the file. (Edit>Paste Special, Values) Or, you could enter today's date in a cell in the row (Ctrl+; ), then refer to that cell in the formula. For example, instead of: =IF(A2="Local",TODAY(),TODAY()+1) enter: =IF(A2="Local...

In Excel, how do I change the rows into columns?
Current spreadsheet a b c l m n x y z Desired spreadsheet a l x b m y c n z Copy the cells, move somewhere else on the sheet or to another sheet, select Paste Special | Transpose regards Trevor "Novice SS User" <Novice SS User@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:757C09CB-AB4E-4D74-B474-AA04F2BEFD18@microsoft.com... > Current spreadsheet > > a b c > l m n > x y z > > Desired spreadsheet > > a l x > b m y > c n z ...

Export to excel fit a matrix to one page
Hi , I am creating a scorecard for a client which shows a range of kpi's . I would like to fit this on one page ? The excel sheet fits onto two pages when i export it .The client is quite pedantic about this . I have tried just about everything . Any suggestions will be appreciated .It is a matrix . Regards Malcolm I suggest instead of a matrix that you use a pivot statement in your sql statement. Pivot does the same thing as the matrix as long as you do not have a variable number of columns. I'm assuming that since this is a scorecard that it isn't v...

Hyperlink probelm
I have a spreadsheet with a couple of worksheets, in one of the worksheets I have a hyperlink to a specific cell in the other worksheet. e.g. Cell A1 in worksheet 1 has a link to cell A2 in worksheet 2 (with the text 'Phone' in it). If I was to insert a row above row 2 in worksheet 2, I still want the link in worksheet 1 to take me to the cell with the text 'Phone' in it (Which is now A3 after I have inserted the row). I realise I can go and change the link manually, but the example above is a simplfied version of my document and inserting a row moves about 30 hyperlinks!!! ...

Powerpoint / Excel: custom pp RGB color doesn't match identical Excel custom RGB color
Office 2003: I have a Powerpoint master template with a custom color (main slide fill color), RGB 0 51 153. I want to paste an Excel chart. In Excel, I create a custom color for the chart area using the same RGB code, copy the chart and paste it into a powerpoint slide, and the colors don't match. This illustrates the problem, with background/area colors. Same problem with fonts, etc. What on earth causes this? Switching to HSL doesn't help. HELP? Thanks. Perhaps this will help: http://www.echosvoice.com/charts.htm Be sure to hit the links about color schemes and MS Graph and...

outlook feature to prevent forgetting attachments
Often people forget to send attachments with emails. Very often they will write something along the lines of "I have attached the minutes from our meeting" and then forget to atcually attach a file. Is there a way therefore that outlook can check the text of an email for words like attach, attached, attachment and query the user before sending if there does not appear to be an attachment? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree"...

excel formula #18
6GN3839883 6G = NEVER CHANGES N = MONTH 1-9 JAN - SEP, O - D OCT - DEC 3 = YEAR 39883 = IS UNIQUE TO THE PRODUCT I WANT TO SET UP A FORMULA THAT WILL AUTOMATICALLY TELL ME IF THE PRODUCT IS WITHIN WARRANTY. IT CAN NOT BE ANY OLDER THAN 2 YEARS, I.E. 6GD901234 (6G DEC 1999) WOULD BE TO OLD SO IT HAS TO SHOW THAT IS WITHIN SAY 6G23????? AND 6G15?????. I HAVE TRIED USING 'IF' BUT I CAN NOT SEEM TO GET THE FORMULA RIGHT. IS THERE A FORMULA I CAN USE? How would you display 1994, 2004 or 2009? What I am meaning is how do you know (or how would excel know) 9 is 1999 and not 1909 or 2009?...

Problem with Hyperlinks in Excel 2003 #2
Recently my company has moved to office professional 2003. Since the upgrade, I have experience 2 PC=E2=80=99s with the same issue. That is, opening any new excel file, adding say http://www.microsoft.com to one of the cells and then trying to click the hyperlink to view the http content. Every attempt generates the following error. =E2=80=9CCannot locate the internet server or proxy server.=E2=80=9D Attempts to resolve this issue are: Log on as a different user to determine if it=E2=80=99s a profile problem.. =EF=83=A0 Other accounts generate the same error. Determine if error is isolated to...

Excel Chart Display Order
I typically have multiple charts stacked within a worksheet for quick comparison purposes; in Excel 2003 I simply clicked on part of the stacked chart I wanted to view, and this chart was displayed in its entirety. In Excel 2007, viewing a particular chart within a stack requires that I right-click, and then select "Bring to Front." Simply clicking the chart I want to view does not display it. Is there a less-time consuming way to do this, or am I just a cranky old man saying, "back in my day...." A lot of us were cranky about that one. Makes no sense. You could te...