How do I get Excel not to display a result for a formula if input cell is blank?

That was so quick! Thank you so much!

--
Zelly
Zelly's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15099

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

INDIRECT function returns a zero instead of a blank
Hi, I'm using the INDIRECT function to allow me to plot a series that spans several worksheets, as suggested here: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartFromDiffSheets.html My problem is that whereas some values are actually zero, others are blank; INDIRECT displays both as zero values. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? You could have something like: =IF(your_formula="","",your_formula) Hope this helps. Pete On May 14, 12:42 pm, Paul <paulmjk...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I'm using the INDIRECT function to allow me to pl...

Sorting Search Results
I there a way to sort search results to see the messages with the latest responses first? Thanks, ...

Reflecting info between an excel file and a word one or two excel file.
I have an Excel file that I use as a database with the dates of the time when my company does the maintenance of our electronics tools (we work in an industry that uses them a lot, we have around 200 in an Excel file). So the documents look as follows (the images are copied and edited in paint, that's why they look kinda weird). They are next to each other; I divided it here in order to fit it to word's format (it's in Spanish, there's no need for you to understand what it says anyway): Go to www.caladeamerica.com.ar/1st file.jpg please and see it. We do the maintenance of...

year formula 04-13-10
I'm sure this is very simple, but for some reason it's not working for me. I have a log of training sessions provided to clients. I want to run a pivot table that totals the number of hours for the year. I track the date in the spreadsheet, so I wanted to add a column of "year" so that I can easily get totals per year. I want to reference the date column to populate the year for that date (I have hundreds of lines already so I don't want to do it manually) When i added the column & used the year function, it comes up with 1905 each time instead of...

How do I import a WORD file into EXCEL? #2
I'd like to import a WORD table to Excel but when I go to "Select Data Source", only other EXCEL files show, not my WORD files but the Help function indicates that all files should be showing. I've selected "Text Files" from the Data Source; I've tried "All File Types" with no luck. Anybody have a clue for me? ..signed, an Excel Idiot......thanks! File>open and select all files or copy and paste -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "MauiMama" <MauiMama@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:27741FDC-23BA-478D-98AC-21760...

Calculating Fields and Manual Input
Hello, Is it possible to have a field that is both calculated or manually inputted?. For example, if field 1 and field 2 has data then calculate field 3. Can we also have the user simply enter the total amount into 3. What I have noticed is if I enter an amount directly into field 3 and field 1 and 2 do not have data the value goes back to 0 (which makes sense) but wondering if there is a way around this. Thanks! On Jul 1, 6:06 am, MDV1457 <MDV1...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hello, > Is it possible to have a field that is both calculated or manually > inputted...

Keeping data without losing Formula's
I have a worksheet (named monthly) with a column of data under a certain month (which will change each time data is entered - stocktake). However this column needs to be edited each month and has formula's in it so it will work (not always the same data in the column). I decided to put this data into a yearly sheet under the particular month. The only way I can do it at the moment is to copy and paste special. How do I (or is there a way to) put this data in a sheet that has all the months but under the month that is signified. In other words I don't want formula's in the yearl...

A Crystal Beginner

file is locked does not appear in Excel if file already open by an
We have shared files on a network drive. When a file is open by one user, and a second user opens the file we want them to recieve <filename> is locked for editing message and open the file read only. This works great for some users, but we have several users that can open the file (even if someone is already in it) and they do not get the prompt and can edit the workbook. Is there a setting that would turn this off for some users and not others in excel? Hello Leslie, You could try sharing the workbook. With the Excel workbook open, choose Tools from the menu. Choose Share W...

Excel VBA / Data Sorting / Maniputaltion
i have a long list, which i imported from other data base. The problem is: 1. In each cell, besides data (data is in alphabates) there are som numeric characters which i dont want . How can i get rid of all those unwanted numbers from data, from all th list? 2. The data is in every second row, ie. one row is empty. How can i Delete those empty/blank rows from the list -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com 1. I think we will need to see a sample of your data 2. Sort the data -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I am sending the sample data file... ...

Get paid while you get online!!

How to program an excel macro to repeat a series of keystrokes?
I want to program an Excel macro to set a columnar range, then perform the keystroke series "F2, Home, =, Enter" repeatedly until the end of the range is reached. How do I teach the macro to automatically repeat the keystoke series? I am using XP, and Excel 2002 10.4. Thanks for your help!!! Hi there, Look up Sendkeys in the visual basic editor help. Hope that helps Naz, London "Beancounter" wrote: > I want to program an Excel macro to set a columnar range, then perform the > keystroke series "F2, Home, =, Enter" repeatedly until the end of the ...

using the $ to lock formulas
We are using the $ to lock the formula but when columns are inserted the formula still changes. How do we correct this? Thank you for any assistance you can give. Hi one way would be to use something like INDIRECT("A1") to always refer to cell A1. Note: copying this formula won't change the cell reference -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany frankmlr wrote: > We are using the $ to lock the formula but when columns > are inserted the formula still changes. How do we correct > this? > > > Thank you for any assistance you can give. One way: =I...

Spreadsheet getting corrupted

Change Excel Icon
Is there any way that the Excel Icon can be changed (without creating a shotcut) but still open as an excel application when clicked? Many Thanks. Kevin. Right click the icon, go to properties, select Change Icon. "kevin" <kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BD3D14AE-46DA-4D03-944F-B04BF1DA0D8C@microsoft.com... > Is there any way that the Excel Icon can be changed (without creating a > shotcut) but still open as an excel application when clicked? > > Many Thanks. > > Kevin. Kevin AFAIK you cannot change the icon for the Excel.exe...

Checking specific text string in excel files stored in a folder
Hi, I need to write a code that can do the following: 1) prompt user to select a particular folder 2) search for a particular text string, for e.g., ABCD in all the excel files in that folder (the number of files in the folder will vary and so does the names of the files). Is it possible to specify the string that we want to search on the fly when macro is run? 3) create a simple report that contains the filename in one column and yes / no in the second column that tell me which file names contain that keyword (it will be great if the path of the file can be recorded in the 3rd colum...

Footers/Headers in Excel
Can I paste from Word to a custom header or footer in Excel? Yes. Select what you want in Word and copy. Go to custom header spot. You need to click in there and hit ctrl;v There's no command to actually paste (like right clicking). ctrl;c = copy ctrl;v = paste "sls" wrote: > Can I paste from Word to a custom header or footer in Excel? ...

excell charting problem with false values
I have the following formula =IF(AND(BU2<$BU$1110,BU2>$BU$1111),BU2,"") chart shows 0's for false empty value "" I would like to skip false or format so that value doesn't get charted. Replace 'nothing' with N/A which gets ignored by chart. =IF(AND(BU2<$BU$1110,BU2>$BU$1111),BU2,NA()) best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Ricky Ray" <Ricky Ray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:44FC3775-2804-4167-BF87-01EE74E1A291@microsoft.com... >I have the following formula ...