How do I create Check list

1.I am new to excel and want to create a simple check list. I would like to
have the first column check boxes and then the following columns discription
and notes. Can someone give me a step by step on how to do this. I have
created spread sheets but am not familiar with check boxes.

2.Also, Can someone tell me the difference between Access and Excel?

0
geek1668 (53)
10/12/2003 3:08:34 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Geek

1) Not sure what you're aiming to do with the checkboxes, but if you right
click on the toolbar area, you will get a list of available toolbars.  You
want either the 'forms' toolbox or the 'controls' toolbox.  Generally those
from the 'forms' toolbox are easier to handle for a novice, but the activeX
controls from the 'controls' toolbox are more feature rich. You simply click
on the checkbox and draw it on the worksheet, re-sizing it with the handles.

2) Excel is a spreadsheet, which is to be used predominantly for
calculation, analysis, what-if scenarios and charting.  It is limited as a
database because it has only 256 columns and 65536 rows, although it is
similar in as much as it has rows (records) and columns (fields), similar to
a database.  Access is a database, able to collect huge quantities
(millions) of records in multiple tables, which can then be linked (form
relationships), to make a true relational database.  It displays and
collects data by means of forms and reports.  Both products are easily
integrated however, so you can collect huge quantities in Access and send it
to, or bring it into XL, (or Word for that matter), for analysis,
calculation or charting.  All of the se operations are far easier in Excels
environment (IMHO)

The differences could go on for ever, but that's just a short example.  It
never ceases to amaze me what XL is used for, much of which is driven by
it's relative ease of use, however, if you can get to grips with Access's
relative perceived complications, they work great together in their own
'domains'

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Geek" <geek@geek.com> wrote in message
> 1.I am new to excel and want to create a simple check list. I would like
> have the first column check boxes and then the following columns
discription
> and notes. Can someone give me a step by step on how to do this. I have
> created spread sheets but am not familiar with check boxes.
>
> 2.Also, Can someone tell me the difference between Access and Excel?

0
nick_hodge (41)

Exposing Creating User's team membership
Hi, Can anyone demonstrate (or point me in the right direction) the following:- We have a number of sites, and a number of teams which map directly to the sites and have the same name as the site (eg siteA has a corresponding team called siteA). When in an opportunity, I would like to obtain the value of the creating user's team, and use this to set a value in another picklist. I am having trouble retrieving the team membership of the user that created the opportunity. Does anyone know of a way to do this? I am not even sure where to start looking at this. Thanks Fentp Hi Fen...

Cannot Create _MSCRMDistribution database when i reinstall CRM
Hi, I built a front end CRM Server, using the 5 license keys MSDN_Subscriber. Had to uninstall this and reinstall CRM as we had another 25 licenses under the name of our company. Problem is, i've reinstalled CRM and the new organization key, everything looks and works absolutely fine, however there are only three databases, the companyname_MSCRMDistribution is missing. So... Gone into Deployment Manager>Servers Manager>Configure SQL Server which is supposed to create this database? I just get an error in the event log: Source: DMSNAPIN Event ID: 0 dmLog: Failed to execute t...

How to create a stacked bar, line combination chart
I am having trouble creating a stacked bar and line combination chart. The standard excel charts offer a bar and line chart option, but does not seem to offer a stacked bar and line option. Has anyone done this type of chart? I just asked a very similar question, but didn't get any answer. However, I did figure out a way to get it to do what I wanted. 1. Start with a plain stacked bar graph and chart everything you want in that format. If you choose 2 columns for your X-labels, Excel is smart and will give you 2 levels of X-labels and will space your chart columns according to the...

Custom LDAP/OPATH query to create custom address list?
I'm going to ask this again because it seems to be a big problem going to exchange 2007. How does one create a custom LDAP query to an external server to build a custom address list? It would be nice to be able to create custom address lists built on LDAP queries to Active Directory or OpenLDAP, etc. Can this be done? Only recipients in Active Directory can appear in Address Lists. You would have to import external recipients into AD as Contacts to be able to do this. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: exchangepedia.com/blog ------------------------...

How do I create a formula that lists only the last entry in a colu
-- Walter See this page Walter http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.LastValue.html -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Walter" <Walter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B7435D17-C9FF-403C-B54D-34349AD2E193@microsoft.com... > > -- > Walter ...

item list should display more fields
when looking through item list, it would be nice if more fields were available to see. If I am trying to find a specific item I don't always know what the lookup code is for a size or color. I would like the option to choose which fields are available for me to look at (like on a report) so I can more quickly find items in the list. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this lin...

Can't see new global distribution list
When I set up a new distribution list in Active Directory on a Windows 2000 server, the new list does not show up for several hours in the Global Address List in Outlook 2003. This was never a problem before Outlook 2003. Does anyone know of a solution? --Steve ...

Rules Wizard
I keep trying to set up a rule, excepting any e-mail from people on my Outlook contact lists. I don't want to select people by hand, as the lists change, but I get stuck when I try to select "all contact lists". How do I set this exception to a Rules Wizard? ...

changing cell value depending on list selection
I have a long coloumn of data which is entered by selecting from a dro down list (data/validation/list)i want a numerical value to b associated with each value from the drop down list. I would also lik this value to be dependent on another value in another cell. ie: A B C one build 1 two three build 2 Coloumns A and B are drop down lists and C is a numerical value tha appears only when Build is in coloumn B and the value depends on wha is entered in coloumn A. Hope this isnt too confusing! Thanks Rober -- Message posted...

Any tools to check any web site is secured or not?
There are two general indications of a secured web page, but I found none for www.i-access.com, but customer service representative mention they used other tools for security, so you would not see following two general indications and tell me feel safe to trade online. They get no proofs on any security for online trading, can you trust them? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to check whether this web site would encrypt transition data or not? Thanks for any suggestions John 1) Check the web page URL Normally, when browsing the web, the URLs (web page addresses) begin...

Creating Links to Custom Views in the SItemap
Hi, I have been trying all morning to edit the site map to create links on the left nav to point to some custom views I have set up. I have different views of accounts like Current Customers, Past Customers etc and want to be able to create a link in the left nav to go straight to these views. I have tried inserting the following code in my site map but when I try to upload it MS CRM complains that it is an invalid file. It is the params that appear to be the problem as a link to www.google.com works fine. Am I trying to achieve something that is not possible or am I doing something wrong? &l...

objects created in 2002 (2000 format) not avail in 2000 boxes
I have created a new query and report in an Access 2000 database. This is the first modification since my PC was upgraded to 2002. The database is still in 2000 format (according to the banner). Other users, however, do not see the newly created query or report? (They are Access 2000) Any suggestions? TIA, tj Hi, My name is Amy Vargo. Thank you for using the Microsoft Access Newsgroups. Is this database in a shared folder that multiple people can access, or did you create your own copy of the database? Maybe you are using the wrong file. Verify that the file is in 2000 forma...

How to tell when Bill Payment is done electronically vs. paper check?
Am I correct in thinking that if I pay a bill via an epay, and I never get a paper check in return from my bank, then the payee was paid electronically, i.e., the payment to the payee never involved any paper check anywhere through the process? I recently switched from MSN Bill Pay to my bank's bill pay service (I send payments from within M03 for both). There's a piece of information missing for me when I switched to using my bank as the bill payer: I don't have a list of 'participating billers' (such as on the MSN Bill Pay website). Unless I determine who the t...

auto create a file
i have a time card in excel that i'd like to automeate a bit more. right now I have a button on the form to save to a specific file, and it names the new time card by name, date and job #. something like "brianh10/14hilton". people have been asking for copies, and it's tough for me to modify the code for the button to save to their correct path. right now mine saves to something like /mydoc's/time/billing/. Is it possible to code the button so that , if the file doesn't exist, the code can create the correct path. code is as follows: Sub Save_As_FileName(...

Workflow against System Created Object
Hello World! I have built similar workflow in the past, but this one is stumbling me! My scenario: We are using c360 Email Marketing - When a "Communication Audit" is created I need to email the "Contacts Owner". When a "User" creates a "Communication Audit" my workflow runs smoothly. But when the Audit is created by the "System" the workflow doesn't run. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in Advance Anthony On May 30, 9:29=A0am, awakin <awa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hello World! > > I have built simil...

How do I create a dynamic chart
I have a database on sheet "D" with 1000 rows of data 79 columns wide. How do I create a single line chart on sheet "A" that graphs a single row on sheet "D" where the row number is specified in cell H1 on sheet "A" This doesn't work: =D!&ADDRESS(OFFSET(A1,H1,1,1,1),1):ADDRESS(OFFSET(A1,H1,1,1,1),78) The chart would graph out whatever D! row number is pointed to by cell A1 on sheet "A" read other posts today -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Nick Krill" <NickKrill@discussions...

How do I create a chart title dependant on an Auto Filter
Hi, I have created a chart where the info changes depending on the autofilter results. Is there a way of having the chart title change to reflect what is in Column A of the filtered data. I cannot use a cell reference as the cell reference changes depending on the result of the filter. Hope I am making sense :-) Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated This could probably be better but it works where your title row is a2 Sub colaval() mt = Range("a3:a100").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Range("a1") ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 3").Activate Activ...

Trying to create completely server side, document merge
I was given the task of designing a complete web based document prep system. In simplest terms (using a msword explanation) create a database of merge fields, and a library of templates. Allow the webuser to select the template, merge his DB record, and produce a formatted document that can be printed or downloaded. We need to do this without specialized software on the client, since it will be universally available to webusers. We considered using PDF, but the creation of the templates were painfully slow, and the datamerge had severe space limitations (the form could not adequately...

Excel Drop Down List Formatting
is there a way to change font size for items in a drop-down list? If a Data Validation drop-down.......No. See Debra Dalglesih's site for workarounds. http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlDataVal08.html#Font Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 12:47:02 -0800, MJS <MJS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >is there a way to change font size for items in a drop-down list? THanks for the help "Gord Dibben" wrote: > If a Data Validation drop-down.......No. > > See Debra Dalglesih's site for workarounds. > > http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlData...

delete user from global address list
How do I remove a user from the global address list? Thanks in advance Greg On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 05:50:02 -0700, "Greg" <gregkh@hotmail.com> wrote: >How do I remove a user from the global address list? > >Thanks in advance > >Greg Delete the account? Hide it? either or both if possible. But I do not want to delete the Domain account. Greg "Andy David - Exchange MVP" wrote: > On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 05:50:02 -0700, "Greg" <gregkh@hotmail.com> wrote: > > >How do I remove a user from the global address list? > > >...

Add remark for count of listed value
I made a report with 6 subreports on it to show the total count of the variable values of 6 fields in a table. It's briefly illustrated as follows: Total No. of participant: 50 (Records in the table) Occupation Category: ( a Field in the table) Education 15 Medical 23 Business 12 Registration: ( a Field in the table) Email 18 Phone 12 Other 20 My boss wanted me to include a remark next to the count for the listed value of ea...

Change Campus to Inactive When There Are No Programs Listed.
I have a form for campuses, with a subform that lists all of the advisors for that particular campus. What I want to have happen is, if after deleting an advisor from the subform, I want the computer to automatically place a check mark in a box marked "Inactive" on the main form, but only if there are no other active advisors for that location. I've tried a number of different things, but nothing is working the way I want. Suggestions? Try this after backing up your database --- UPDATE [campuses] LEFT JOIN [advisors] ON [campuses].campusID = [advisors].campusID SET [campuses].I...

Multiple messages for single selection change in list control
Hi, In the handler of LVN_ITEMCHANGING (OnItemChanging...()), how can I deduce which messages belong to the same event? I am interested in the change of an item selection state, but it seems that an irregular number of messages are sent for one such event. In some cases I would like to substitute *pResult = TRUE in order to cancel the change, but I still receive the rest of the messages for that same event. For those messages I should also set *pResult = TRUE, but how can I know which messages belong to the same event? I cannot figure out the logic of the number of messages sent for a single ...

Microsoft CRM 3.0 product catalog and price list
Hi I'm new to Microsoft CRM and am trying to create a price list and product catalogue. I seem to be getting confused a lot on this and would appreciate any help I can get to make this easier to do. Thanks -- MaryGail After creating the Price List "header", you then create products and from there add price lists to the product, including the prices. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "MaryGail" <MaryGail@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A19C4231-96BA-4AE2-9AF7-9B63D0BBCF24@microsoft.com... Hi I'm new to Microsoft CRM and am trying to...

getting other folders than inbox synchronized when checking internet mail
I am using Outlook 2002 with Windows XP. can I download mail messages from an internet based account (defined as pop3) that are in a folder other than my inbox? Merrav <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am using Outlook 2002 with Windows XP. > can I download mail messages from an internet based > account (defined as pop3) that are in a folder other than > my inbox? If you want messages received with another account to go into a folder other than Inbox, you'll have to create a rule to move them there. -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson A...