Hi

This is driving me ABSOLUTELY NUTS!

How can I keep the rows & columns of data that I am copying and pasting
off a website (my own in this case!), into a spreadsheet... WITHOUT
taking all the data formatting?

If I paste out of Ms IE v6 into Ms Excel (2003), it does at least keep
the
columns (something that doesnt happen if I paste out of FireFox, fwiw).

But it pastes with all the formatting & URLs etc - which I DONT WANT!

OK, I can save as .CSV, close, 2 warnings, and re-open but when done
REPEATEDLY this is a damned nuicance!

Any suggestions?

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

0
shiphen (100)
4/21/2006 9:11:06 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

ship wrote:

> How can I keep the rows & columns of data that I am copying and pasting
> off a website (my own in this case!), into a spreadsheet... WITHOUT
> taking all the data formatting?

Try the "Edit | Paste Special" menu, not pasting with a keystroke

0
dingbat (6)
4/21/2006 9:16:09 AM
Doesnt work!
Either you paste HTML, or you lose the columns

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

0
shiphen (100)
4/21/2006 9:21:36 AM
Paste into a helper worksheet that will preserve the formatting and the columns.

Then copy from there, but paste special|values to its rightful home.

--

Dave Peterson
0

--

Dave Peterson
0

--

Dave Peterson
0

I dont follow your drift!
A) What is a "helper worksheet"
B) Where is your thread - I dont seem to be able to see it for some
reason...

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

Dave Peterson wrote:
> Oops.  Never mind.
>
> Dave Peterson wrote:
> >
> > You have another suggestion at your other thread.
> >
> > ship wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > This is driving me ABSOLUTELY NUTS!
> > >
> > > How can I keep the rows & columns of data that I am copying and pasting
> > > off a website (my own in this case!), into a spreadsheet... WITHOUT
> > > taking all the data formatting?
> > >
> > > If I paste out of Ms IE v6 into Ms Excel (2003), it does at least keep
> > > the
> > > columns (something that doesnt happen if I paste out of FireFox, fwiw).
> > >
> > > But it pastes with all the formatting & URLs etc - which I DONT WANT!
> > >
> > > OK, I can save as .CSV, close, 2 warnings, and re-open but when done
> > > REPEATEDLY this is a damned nuicance!
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
> > >
> > > Ship
> > > Shiperton Henethe
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
shiphen (100)
4/21/2006 4:03:25 PM
Insert a new worksheet (just temporary)
Paste there
copy from that new worksheet
go to the real worksheet
paste special|values
delete that temporary worksheet

I didn't notice that you cross posted.  That's what my oops was for.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Meanwhile I now have the reverse problem
I need to paste OUT of excel and into Dreamweaver without
any formatting, table column widths etc...

I have to do this operation quite a lot and for some time
now I've been saving as a CSV file and then
reopening - but there must a better way!

Maybe some web-friendly plug-in or something, no?

Any thoughts?

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

0
shiphen (100)
4/21/2006 5:47:29 PM
P=2ES. Ah sorry yes one problem is that I need the currency
formatting to stay put! e.g. "=A31,000.50" needs to stay visible
in the HTML exactly like that and not get turned into
"1000.5" !

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

0
shiphen (100)
4/21/2006 5:50:01 PM
I use a free utility, NoteTab light. I copy from Excel and paste into
NoteTab light. Then I have it convert the ^t (tabs) to </td><td>.
Finally, I add the new row info in between the lines (</tr><tr>).

Not bad for 10 rows, but I'm eager to hear what others use to do this
operation more efficiently.

BTW, NoteTab can take the markup and data (from View Source), and from
the Modify -> Strip HTML tags, do just that.

-Rajah
ship wrote:
> Ah Yes that's quite clever - why did I think of that - I'll try it.
> (Though why the heck Micro$oft couldnt give us better cleaner
> pasting options is a good point - just the sort of thing that
> generates MASSIVE bad will against them...!)
> Thanks.
>
> Meanwhile I now have the reverse problem
> I need to paste OUT of excel and into Dreamweaver without
> any formatting, table column widths etc...
>
> I have to do this operation quite a lot and for some time
> now I've been saving as a CSV file and then
> reopening - but there must a better way!
>
> Maybe some web-friendly plug-in or something, no?
>
> Any thoughts?
>

> Ship
> Shiperton Henethe

No extra thoughts from me.

--

Dave Peterson
0

--

Dave Peterson
0

I think there used to be some microsoft plug in for
Offfice 2000 (??) but not sure about 2003 which I am now using.
(And Dreamweaver MX 2004, fwiw)

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

0
shiphen (100)
4/21/2006 6:38:22 PM
Fleeing from the madness of the  jungle
Dave Peterson <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> stumbled into
and said:

> I think I'd apply the formatting after the pasting.  I'm not sure how
> you can do
> a single paste and sometimes copy formats and sometimes not.

If this is a repetitive task, I'd suggest a little scripting (VBA seems
appropriate) would tick the boxes nicely.

--
William Tasso

http://williamtasso.com/words/what-is-usenet.asp
That seems like a reasonable approach.  Maybe the OP will try it.

William Tasso wrote:

> Fleeing from the madness of the  jungle
> Dave Peterson <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> stumbled into
> and said:
>
> > I think I'd apply the formatting after the pasting.  I'm not sure how
> > you can do
> > a single paste and sometimes copy formats and sometimes not.
>
> If this is a repetitive task, I'd suggest a little scripting (VBA seems
> appropriate) would tick the boxes nicely.
>
> --
> William Tasso
>
> http://williamtasso.com/words/what-is-usenet.asp

--

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
4/21/2006 9:11:21 PM
This removes formatting so it won't help your currency need, but
anyway:

Sub PasteHtml()
'
' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+Q
' PasteSpecial(Format, Link, DisplayAsIcon, IconFileName, IconIndex,
IconLabel, NoHTMLFormatting)
    ActiveSheet.PasteSpecial NoHTMLFormatting:=True
End Sub

0
mail3 (7)
4/23/2006 5:36:07 PM
Like you say it wont help the currency requirement
but might be helpful on occassion.

But please can you tell me how & where exactly I need insert
this bit of code. Is it an ms Excel macro? If so how do I get
it inserted & working whenever I open msExcel....?

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

0
shiphen (100)
4/24/2006 10:49:57 AM
It might be easier to record a macro and then change it.

Tools > Macro > Record New Macro
Name PasteHTML
Shortcut Ctrl+Shift+V  (or some other key you don't already use)
Store Macro in: Personal Macro Workbook
Click OK

Switch to a web page and copy some text
Switch back to Excel
Edit > Paste Special > Text
Click Stop Recording on the macro toolbar

Window > Unhide > Personal.xls

Tools > macros > macros
Select PasteHTML, click Edit
change the line to read

ActiveSheet.PasteSpecial NoHTMLFormatting:=True

File > Close and return to Excel
Window > Hide
File > Exit and save changes to Personal.xls

I'd also recommend a good book on learning VBA such as John
Walkenbach's, see
http://www.sysmod.com/spreads.htm#Books

Good luck,

Patrick

0
mail3 (7)
4/25/2006 8:06:35 AM
Hi

Nice try - except that you slightly miss the point.
The problem is that as things stand it has to be
Pasted "AS HTML" (i.e. not "as text") otherwise
msExcel loses the table structure!

And of course if you paste a large table "as HTML" into
a spreadsheet it takes all the stupid formatting including
all the URLs etc... and this will at best massively
slow up msExcel - but at worse actually crash it!

Conclusion
Yes may be one could some macro way of doing
it involving saving as .CSV closing and reopening
but that strikes me as EXTREMELY MESSY...!

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

0
shiphen (100)
4/25/2006 5:00:20 PM
P.S.
Plus it often goes wrong!
When you paste HTML into a spread sheet you sometimes
get a table cell throwing a carriage return, with the result
that the data in excel ends up on TWO (rather than just one)
lines.

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

0
shiphen (100)
4/25/2006 5:02:31 PM
P.S.
Plus it often goes wrong!
When you paste HTML into a spread sheet you sometimes
get a table cell throwing a carriage return, with the result
that the data in excel ends up on TWO (rather than just one)
lines.

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

0
shiphen (100)
4/25/2006 5:02:32 PM
P.S.
Plus it often goes wrong!
When you paste HTML into a spread sheet you sometimes
get a table cell throwing a carriage return, with the result
that the data in excel ends up on TWO (rather than just one)
lines.

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

0
shiphen (100)

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

Fields in TransactionEntry table
I hope someone can help me understand the contents of three fields in the TransactionEntry table in RMS. I'm trying to see if I can use data stored in these fields to correct the Price in my Item table. Two of the fields are the FullPrice and Price. It appears to me that the Price field is the price charged at the register, the FullPrice is something like the Price in Item. The PriceSource field seems to be a code that is 1 if the regular price is charged, 10 if the price is changed by the cashier and other values depending on the size of the discount applied at the register. My h...

Formatting a single grid line
Don't laugh but I was wondering if there was a back door way of bolding up a single horizontal gridline to make it stand out from the rest. My alternative is to draw a line on the chart but then I need to adjust it if my scale changes. Thanks much, Reney Hi Reney, Unfortunately you can only format all of the gridlines at once. Have a look at these examples for adding a line to a chart. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/straight_lines/index.html http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm Cheers Andy Reney Langlois wrote:...

How to Link to the next blank row after the last entry in a column?
Cell BM6 Sheet1, has a formula that gives me a numeric total. The total belongs in Column D1 Sheet2 after the last entry, and there will be cells that will remain blank in that column before the last entry. Sheet1 is a work sheet, which will be saved with a new file name at the end of the month after the totals have been sent to Sheet2. Sheet2 is a permanent, ongoing record. The numbers on original Sheet1 will then be erased and the worksheet reused for the new month. :confused: How do I get the values into the appropriate row of Sheet2 and have them remain there when I reuse the workshee...

Can't send/receive

Make table truncates text concatenated using fnConcatenate
I have a MakeTable query which uses the fnConcatenate( ) function to merge a bunch of information into a single field. Unfortunately, the field length exceeds 255 characters and the MakeTable tries to dump this into a text field, rather than identifying that the field should be a memo field. I know I could create the base table and import the data from my query into that table, but I would prefer to make this table on the fly, and then delete it when I am done with it. Any recommendations? -- Email address is not valid. Please reply to newsgroup only. On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:48:04 -07...

How do I make a column of checkboxes quickly?
I have a list of people my company has already mailed letters to (about 500) .. I have another separate list of people that may or may not have been mailed to from the first list. Is there a way to quickly creat a column of checkboxes and then somehow crossreference these people that have already been mailed to (both list have account numbers) so that we can exclude them from our next mail out? See http://tinyurl.com/bfkdt -- HTH Bob Phillips "Kevin Kimbrell via OfficeKB.com" <forum@nospam.OfficeKB.com> wrote in message news:eaaf5760ccae43ac8b829a58e9708b6b@OfficeKB.com....

Can not Customize Leads View

Show format in formula bar
Hello: On some spreadsheets I have #'s in the billions added together in cells. Sometimes it is difficult to verify the number is 10,000,000,000 because it shows up as 10000000000. My eyes get crossed counting the zeros. I'd love if the formula bar would show 10,000,000,000; however, can't seem to find a way to do this. Is this possible? No, you can't change the number formatting in the formula bar. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Native" <native_texan_03@yahoo.com> wrote in message n...

Large data
I have 20 rows and 20 columns in a sheet Trying to plot the line chart for the same But it looks very cluttered Can anyone suggest a way for this -- Thanks, Shivali Sadavarte Do all series have to be plotted on the same chart? Or is there some kind of logical grouping (e.g. companies A-E; revenue, profit, stock price, and operating margin for each)? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Shivali Sadavarte" <shivali.sadavarte@tcs.com> wrote in message news:78880A3A-...

Bulk attachments

HR Benefit Table
I'm trying to do some cleanup of our benefits (delete benefits that were enrolled and never used) and in the process of querying table BE010130 there are a ton of benefits that have a 0 in the BENEFITSTATUS_I field. When I try to pull them up in GP they don't show under the specified employee. Can anyone tell me what these are and if I can delete them? ------=_NextPart_0001_079D83ED Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, After looking at the HRBEN.DOC from the SDK, it doesn't appear the BE010130 should have a value of 0. The values that should b...

Can't delete email #2

Can Not Reply To Emails

How can I rename a database table?

Can (or how can) I do this