Histogram data analysis tool

In attempting to use the Data Analysis Tool histogram generator of Excel
2003, I can't get
it to work right (i.e., the way I want it to work).

I suspect that I have some sort of DATE HHMMSS problem, and one confusing
thing is that the value
displayed on the fx input bar is not the same format as the cell I'm trying
to edit.
For instance when the cell contains 9/2/2005 1:00 the fx bar displays
9/2/2005 1:00:00 AM.

So when I enter a series of times on 9/2/2005, 30 mins apart in the bin
range all of the data
is counted as being in the first 30 mins, rather than distributed over the
day (as it actually is).

Also, a mysterious number 38597 shows up at the top of the echoed bin range.

Finally, how do I delete all the incorrect diagrams I have generated?

Thanks,
E-Jo

0
ejoline (61)
5/12/2005 5:47:26 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

E-Jo  -

Dates and times are stored internally as serial numbers, like 38597. The
display depends on how the cell is formatted. See Excel's built-in Help for
more explanations. I don't know how smart Excel's Histogram tool is
regarding the date-time-numbers. I have a free Better Histogram add-in that
you could try (from the Better Histogram page at www.treeplan.com), but it's
never been tested for your situation.

To delete a chart, select it (by clicking just inside the outermost border),
and press the Delete key.

-  Mike
www.mikemiddleton.com

"Everett Joline" <ejoline@optonline.net> wrote in message
> In attempting to use the Data Analysis Tool histogram generator of Excel
> 2003, I can't get it to work right (i.e., the way I want it to work).
>
> I suspect that I have some sort of DATE HHMMSS problem, and one confusing
> thing is that the value displayed on the fx input bar is not the same
> format as the cell I'm trying to edit.
> For instance when the cell contains 9/2/2005 1:00 the fx bar displays
> 9/2/2005 1:00:00 AM.
>
> So when I enter a series of times on 9/2/2005, 30 mins apart in the bin
> range all of the data is counted as being in the first 30 mins, rather
> than distributed over the day (as it actually is).
>
> Also, a mysterious number 38597 shows up at the top of the echoed bin
> range.
>
> Finally, how do I delete all the incorrect diagrams I have generated?
>
> Thanks,
> E-Jo

The easy stuff first.

Put 38597 into an empty cell and format it as a date.  You'll see how excel
works with dates--just a number of days from a base date (usually 12/31/1899 for
wintel users).

And 38597 formatted as a date will show Sept 2, 2005.

I put this in A1:A96:
09/02/2005 00:00:00
09/02/2005 00:15:00
09/02/2005 00:30:00
09/02/2005 00:45:00
09/02/2005 01:00:00
09/02/2005 01:15:00
09/02/2005 01:30:00
09/02/2005 01:45:00
09/02/2005 02:00:00
09/02/2005 22:00:00
09/02/2005 22:15:00
09/02/2005 22:30:00
09/02/2005 22:45:00
09/02/2005 23:00:00
09/02/2005 23:15:00
09/02/2005 23:30:00
09/02/2005 23:45:00

(96 entries)

I put this in B1:B13:
09/02/2005 00:00
09/02/2005 02:00
09/02/2005 04:00
09/02/2005 06:00
09/02/2005 08:00
09/02/2005 10:00
09/02/2005 12:00
09/02/2005 14:00
09/02/2005 16:00
09/02/2005 18:00
09/02/2005 20:00
09/02/2005 22:00
09/03/2005 00:00

I array entered this in C1:C13:
=FREQUENCY(A1:A96,B1:B12)

I got this result in C1:C13:

It seemed to work ok for me.  Were you putting date and time in your cells?

--

Dave Peterson
0

--

Dave Peterson
0

With your help I finally got it to work

E-Jo

"Everett Joline" <ejoline@optonline.net> wrote in message
> In attempting to use the Data Analysis Tool histogram generator of Excel
> 2003, I can't get
> it to work right (i.e., the way I want it to work).
>
> I suspect that I have some sort of DATE HHMMSS problem, and one confusing
> thing is that the value
> displayed on the fx input bar is not the same format as the cell I'm
> trying to edit.
> For instance when the cell contains 9/2/2005 1:00 the fx bar displays
> 9/2/2005 1:00:00 AM.
>
> So when I enter a series of times on 9/2/2005, 30 mins apart in the bin
> range all of the data
> is counted as being in the first 30 mins, rather than distributed over the
> day (as it actually is).
>
> Also, a mysterious number 38597 shows up at the top of the echoed bin
> range.
>
> Finally, how do I delete all the incorrect diagrams I have generated?
>
> Thanks,
> E-Jo

0
ejoline (61)
5/13/2005 6:03:53 PM
Well, actually I'm still having a problem, Dave.
It still puts everything in the first box even though
my bin entries are like:

 9/2/05 0:00
 9/2/05 1:00
 9/2/05 2:00
etc.

And the data is like:
09/02/2005 00:12
09/02/2005 01:54
09/02/2005 03:17
etc.

1. Is there anything wrong with this data?
2. Does your method work when you bring up the Histogram
 dialog and enter the numbers in that?
Thanks,
E-Jo

"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@netscapeXSPAM.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> 09/02/2005 00:00:00
>> 09/02/2005 00:15:00
>> 09/02/2005 00:30:00
>> 09/02/2005 00:45:00
>> 09/02/2005 01:00:00
>> 09/02/2005 01:15:00
>> 09/02/2005 01:30:00
>> 09/02/2005 01:45:00
>> 09/02/2005 02:00:00
>> 09/02/2005 22:00:00
>> 09/02/2005 22:15:00
>> 09/02/2005 22:30:00
>> 09/02/2005 22:45:00
>> 09/02/2005 23:00:00
>> 09/02/2005 23:15:00
>> 09/02/2005 23:30:00
>> 09/02/2005 23:45:00
>>
>> (96 entries)
>>
>> I put this in B1:B13:
>> 09/02/2005 00:00
>> 09/02/2005 02:00
>> 09/02/2005 04:00
>> 09/02/2005 06:00
>> 09/02/2005 08:00
>> 09/02/2005 10:00
>> 09/02/2005 12:00
>> 09/02/2005 14:00
>> 09/02/2005 16:00
>> 09/02/2005 18:00
>> 09/02/2005 20:00
>> 09/02/2005 22:00
>> 09/03/2005 00:00
>>
>> I array entered this in C1:C13:
>> =FREQUENCY(A1:A96,B1:B12)
>>
>> I got this result in C1:C13:
>> 1
>> 8
>> 8
>> 8
>> 8
>> 8
>> 8
>> 8
>> 8
>> 8
>> 8
>> 8
>> 7
>>
>> It seemed to work ok for me.  Were you putting date and time in your
>> cells?
>>
>> Everett Joline wrote:
>> >
>> > In attempting to use the Data Analysis Tool histogram generator of
>> > Excel
>> > 2003, I can't get
>> > it to work right (i.e., the way I want it to work).
>> >
>> > I suspect that I have some sort of DATE HHMMSS problem, and one
>> > confusing
>> > thing is that the value
>> > displayed on the fx input bar is not the same format as the cell I'm
>> > trying
>> > to edit.
>> > For instance when the cell contains 9/2/2005 1:00 the fx bar displays
>> > 9/2/2005 1:00:00 AM.
>> >
>> > So when I enter a series of times on 9/2/2005, 30 mins apart in the bin
>> > range all of the data
>> > is counted as being in the first 30 mins, rather than distributed over
>> > the
>> > day (as it actually is).
>> >
>> > Also, a mysterious number 38597 shows up at the top of the echoed bin
>> > range.
>> >
>> > Finally, how do I delete all the incorrect diagrams I have generated?

0
ejoline (61)
5/13/2005 8:28:01 PM
The first thing I'd do is format those bin entries to:
mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm

If they don't change, then your date/time entries are just plain old text.

--

Dave Peterson
0

> The first thing I'd do is format those bin entries to:
> mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm
>
> If they don't change, then your date/time entries are just plain old text.
>
> Everett Joline wrote:
>>
>> Well, actually I'm still having a problem, Dave.
>> It still puts everything in the first box even though
>> my bin entries are like:
>>
>>  9/2/05 0:00
>>  9/2/05 1:00
>>  9/2/05 2:00
>> etc.
>>
>> And the data is like:
>> 09/02/2005 00:12
>> 09/02/2005 01:54
>> 09/02/2005 03:17
>> etc.
>>
>> 1. Is there anything wrong with this data?
>> 2. Does your method work when you bring up the Histogram
>>  dialog and enter the numbers in that?
>> Thanks,
>> E-Jo
>>
>> "Dave Peterson" <ec35720@netscapeXSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> >I read Histogram as =frequency().  Sorry.

>> > --
>> >
>> > Dave Peterson
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
ejoline (61)
5/13/2005 11:49:00 PM
I mean that instead of numbers, you have text.

Kind of the difference between '123 (with the leading quote) and 123 (as a
number).

Try selecting the range and then
edit|replace
what: / (slash)
with: / (slash)
replace all.

When I did it, excel reevaluated the string and made it real numbers--I didn't
have any leading/trailing spaces in the cell before I did it, too.

Another option:
Since your "date/times" are all in one column.
Select the range
Data|text to columns|Finish

That converted the strings to dates/times for me, too.

And if worse comes to worse, try typing in the date/times again (with the cells
formatted as nice dates/times).

--

Dave Peterson
0

        2/9/05  1:36

Anyway I did an identical reformat on all the applicable data based
on your suggestion and it is now OK. (But it is still confusing
to me to deal with all those different formats. In one case Month is in
the first place, and in another case it is in the second place. However,
I guess the base quantity remains the same in both cases.)

Thanks Dave for hanging in with such a dumbo!

>I mean that instead of numbers, you have text.
>
> Kind of the difference between '123 (with the leading quote) and 123 (as a
> number).
>
> Try selecting the range and then
> edit|replace
> what: / (slash)
> with: / (slash)
> replace all.
>
> When I did it, excel reevaluated the string and made it real numbers--I
> didn't
> have any leading/trailing spaces in the cell before I did it, too.
>
> Another option:
> Since your "date/times" are all in one column.
> Select the range
> Data|text to columns|Finish
>
> That converted the strings to dates/times for me, too.
>
> And if worse comes to worse, try typing in the date/times again (with the
> cells
> formatted as nice dates/times).
>
> Everett Joline wrote:
>>
>> No they didn't change, but I don't know what you mean by "plain old
>> text".
>> Is that good or bad?
>> E-Jo
>>
>> "Dave Peterson" <ec35720@netscapeXSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> > The first thing I'd do is format those bin entries to:
>> > mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm
>> >
>> > If they don't change, then your date/time entries are just plain old
>> > text.

>> > --
>> >
>> > Dave Peterson
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
ejoline (61)
5/14/2005 6:23:14 PM
Glad you got it working.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Factory-Reconditioned Ryobi ZRP600 One+ Laminate Trimmer (Bare Tool)
Price:$74.96 Image: http://specialdealfinder.info/image.php?id=B0015IS2K6 Best deal: http://specialdealfinder.info/index.php?id=B0015IS2K6 This is a factory reconditioned power tool. Reconditioned generally means that the tool has been returned to the manufacturer, who brings the tool back to like new condition. Some tools may contain cosmetic blemishes. Includes One+™ 18V Cordless 26,000 RPM Laminate Trimmer (Battery/Charger Sold Separately) - ZRP600, Plug In Lanyard - P920, Battery And Charger Sold Separately SIMILAR PRODUCTS: Factory-Reconditioned Ryobi ZRP230 One+ Impact Driv...

How to set Outlook files for backup using the Backup Tool?
Using the Personal Folders Backup Tool in Outlook 2007 using Vista, I highlight the top level folder in my "All Mail Items" list (labelled as Personal Folders) and click File/Backup but under the direction "Save backup copies of these personal folders files" the dialog box says "(No files set for backup)." When I click on "Options," the next dialog box shows one subfolder name with a checkbox to mark if you wanted to back up its files, but not any others. There are a lot of other subfolders whose files I want to back up, but they are not ...

I have ad address in one column. I need to break apart the data
I have a column which hosts address information and I would like to break aprat the data into multiple column into address column, city column, state column, and zip code column. the data in that column they have the same format here are some examples 1134 first st., San Jose, CA 95132 234 Main st., Santa Clara, CA 95050 Can someone please help? 2 step process. Step 1: Select the current column, go to Data > Text to columns. Select delimited, check the comma box and click finish This will put the address in first column, City in city column, and the remaining two - state and code in ...

tool bars have gone black
running WinXP pro SP3 with IE8 (8.0.6) my tool bars for IE have gone black. if i mouse over them the boxes for the drop down menus appear but the name of the menus stay black. i have looked at the settings and found nothing out of the ordinary. tried to reset IE but no change. looked at all control panel settings that change backgrounds, menu colors, etc. and have found nothing that works. don't know why the problem occured and not sure exactly when. no programs were installed before this problem and no changes to the registry were noted on my scan logs. would like...

Cannot compress data file
I'm running Outlook 2003 and it is working fine except that when I try to go to the Advanced options of the properties of my Personal Folders I get the message "Operation failed. An object could not be found". What I'm trying to do is go in there to compress the data file. I have a second mail folder and I have no problem compressing it. Any suggestions on how I can fix this? Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all! Unclear post. "Second Mail Folder" means what precisely? From your incomplete description, you appear to be trying to access an Outlook d...

Bringing data together
I have two columns of numbers and I want to join these in a third column, not add them up but combine them. For example 1st cell reads 15, the adjacent cell reads 203 and I want the third cell across to combine these to 15203. Is there some way to automate this in Excel 2000 SP3 please advise Daniel Daniel, If you want it to be text use =E30 & F30 If you want it to be a number =--(E30 & F30) Daan E "Daniel Louwrens" <flint_dlouwrens@nospambigpond.com> wrote in message news:u7dCs4pjDHA.3504@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I have two columns of numbers and I want to...

Replace data with other data in Excel
In excel, I'm trying to replace a numeric value with another value only in certain cells. For example, in cells C11 to C30, if I type in the number one, I want that to be replaced with the number 28149. If I type in the number two, I want that to be replaced with the number 28150 (etc). I don't want to use the replace option in excel (Find...Replace), I would like to have this done automatically. Please let me know what I need to do, and please go slow. I'm new to all this. Thanks. Viriiman Right click on the sheet tab for the worksheet where you want this to happen. Copy and ...

Access Xcel data transfer
Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer an exel file with multiple sheets into Access with having each sheet go into a table in access automatically using macros or whatever. Is this possible? ...

Linking data from .CSV to Excel
Hello! I'm completely stuck. I have an excel spreadsheet that uses data fro a .CSV file. This data (all numbers) is linked to a sheet in th workbook. The problem is this: in order for the data to be updated, it is necessary to open up th .csv file whilst the workbook is open. This is a terrible hassle. have tried making a macro that opens the .csv file and then closes i again, but that doesn't appear to update the linked data fields. Th Edit/Links/...update links function won't work, since Excel say "External Copy: file format is not valid". Does anyone have any...

Replacing data in Pivot Table causes Field name change
Good morning, I have a pivot table report that uses about 1200 rows of data on a neighboring page. Today I produced new monthly data and pasted it on top of the old data. When I do this the report's left most column field names all change from FieldName to FieldName2. When I look in the drop down box for that field it seems to have duplicated the fields when I pasted the new data. I'm able to work around it by changing the displayed lables from FieldName2 to FieldName"space""space". I can't change to just FieldName because that is already in use. M...

Histograms #3
Help Me! I am trying to create a Histogram on Excel. The onl information that I have is class limits and the frequnecy's for eac class. Every time I enter the information on Excel and click o Hisogram it changes my Bins. I know there is a way to create one wit this inforamtion, but I have no idea how. Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com TarheelGirl33 - > Help Me! I am trying to create a Histogram on Excel. The only information that I have is class limits and the frequnecy's for each class. Every time I enter the information on Excel and click on Hisogram it ...

Outlook Data Collection for A2007
I am trying to set up data collection. Outlook and Access 2007 While in Access I get message: The Microsoft Office Access Outlook Add-in is disabled in Microsoft Office Outlook 2007....verify that it is installed....... I am looking for the file name so that I can locate the Add-in. Thanks. Found it........accolk.dll "Tom Ventouris" <tom@pmads.coza> wrote in message news:uiCEP$oYIHA.4180@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >I am trying to set up data collection. Outlook and Access 2007 > While in Access I get message: > The Microsoft Office Access Outlook Add-in is disab...

How to I incorporate SD from a data series into chart error bars?
I have means of values that are in a line chart. I want to add error bars, however when I add the error bars with SD=1 they all look the same. I know the SD for each mean is not the same. I want to know how to get the error bars to represent the SD of the data set (the set from which the mean was derived) and not all look the same. Set the 'Error amount' option to 'Custom' and specify the range in your worksheet that has the SDs. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In ar...

Add data but disallow the deletion of the original data
Hi, Is there are a way to let users add on data to a spreadsheet but disallow them to modify/delete the original data? -- Regards, Adrian lock the cells to be protected>unlock the cells allowing changes>protect sheet -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Adrian" <xinke@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OUrzVeShEHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > Is there are a way to let users add on data to a spreadsheet but > disallow them to modify/delete the original data? > > -- > Regards, > Adrian > > Adrian You...

Change data series layout
Hi, I'm trying to change the looks of my pivot charts. More precisely, I'm trying to remove the borders from stacked bars' data series. I managed to remove them for each series manually, but once the selection of items chages, all borders are redrawn again. The best way for me would be to change the standard chart layout for this workbook. Is that possible? Is there any way to prevent Excel from reformatting pivot charts? Greets ...

DATA > TABLE -- 2 variable data tables?
I have an excel s/s and several cells contain the same formula, "{=TABLE(E15,E9)}". How can i find out what TABLE(E15,E9) is doing? I think it's performing some type of calculation. Is it a table array? any help is greatly appreciated. -- efarhat ------------------------------------------------------------------------ efarhat's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26595 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398705 TABLE is not a standard Excel worksheet function as far as I know. It may be a user-de...

Data Validation based on Optional Inputs
Hi I run W2K with Excel 2K. What I have is a data validation down box which has 2 options. Lets say in cell B8 and the are called "Selection 1" and "Selection 2" Then I have 2nd data validation box (lets say B11) which takes its information from a range name (which is in a different worksheet) Lets say the range name is called "Range 1" Now here is the problem, I have a second list in a separate worksheet which is defined by a range name called "Range 2" I would like the 2nd drop down box to be based on one of the "TWO" range names, d...

making a drop down to sort data
I want to have a drop down that will let me choose either column a, b, c, or d and then sort a2:d971 on the one I choose. You can use the dialog method shown below Range("a2:d971").Select Set Sortdialog = Application.Dialogs(xlDialogSort) With Sortdialog .Show End With End Sub The dialog has these options 'xlDialogSort orientation, key1, order1, _ 'key2, order2, key3, order3, header, custom, case So you can specify these arguments like this Range("a2:d971").Select Set Sortdialog = Application.Dialogs(xlDialogSort) With Sortdial...

Color of data when I paste
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Whenever I paste an email address from Mail into and Excel cell, the default color is gray and I would like it to be black. Any ideas? ...

Approved Registration Log in tool?
Hi. I've been implementing extranetsites for a couple of years now, and due to some customer demand, I'm looking into deploying a WSS3.0 or MOSS site on our extranet to replace our current Plone solution. One of the things I've implemented on Plone is a registration process that allows anyone to request an ID, but also requires admin approval to become a member. Another key requirement is I want this to be as self-service as possible and don't want anyone having to deal with user passwords. There is a Plone solution for this, but I have not yet found a complete solut...

Histogram Question
Hello, Using W7 and Excel 2007. Made a Histogram from data for the first time. Would like to ask two questions re: a. For the Range for the data column that is plotted, I have many blank cells at the end of the column. But, I have also also selected these blank cells when I defined the Range. However, once the Histogram is plotted out, and I subsequently put value(s) in these blank cells, the Histogram does not seem to update. Should it ? (when I make a conventional Scatter type of graph, it does update automatically if new additional values are inserted). If possible, how can I hav...

Print data in each row on a seperate sheet template
In Access, you can create a form which views data from each row of the database. When you print it automatically cycles through each row, printing out identical sheets with just the data changing. Is it possible to do this in excel without transferring the data to Access? You could put a page break at each row. -- Damon Longworth Don't miss out on the 2005 Excel User Conference Sept 16th and 17th Stockyards Hotel - Ft. Worth, Texas www.ExcelUserConference.com "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4C614E61-1294-4956-B062-66B84845CE6F@micro...

Loss of referenced data (Titles) when upgrading from Excel 2000 to 2007
I have many instances of the same type of issue, so will provide one example. A solution for one should fix all... I have a chart data sheet that 20+ charts reference every month. When creating the titles for the charts, it was necessary to refer to the month the chart represents. This information is located in one cell on the data sheet. In Excel 2000, all one had to do was have the focus on the chart, type in "=" and reference the cell the date is in. The data in the cell would then show on the chart as basically a text box and I could manipulate other words ar...

Different access to data related to contact
I have the case that two or more Sales reps are in relation with the same contact but information that one relates to the contact like email, message etc.. are not allowed to be seen by other sales reps. Is there any possibility to do it in CRM? ...

data file didn't close correctly on exit
Now that outlook opens again - every time I reopen outlook, provided there were any changes the last time in outlook, I get the error message that says a data file did not close properly... - then a second window opens saying the data check is complete. Anyone know why and what to change so that stops happening? I already discontinue the option for deleting files from the deleted folder on exit. Generally it means that Outlook isnt closing properly, usually caused by a third party addin, eg integrated anti virus app. Next time you close Outlook, after a couple of mins, start T...