Highlight a cell that is a duplicate

Hi

I have a column where each cell has a number. There may be duplicates. Let's
say A4 is 365. And A34 is 365. I would like to highlight the duplicate value
in A34 but not in A4. If 365 is also located beyond A34 I'd like to
highlight that as well. Is this possible?

Thanks

0
bradp_xx (6)
3/22/2012 5:17:01 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I think I got it.

I turned on CF for the second cell in the range of cells within the column.
I used this formula:  =COUNTIF($B$9:$B10,$B10)>1  and applied a colour
background.

I copied that cell and pasted the formats only for the range I am using.
Testing it shows that the first value that has duplicates is not coloured
but any duplicates below are.

"Brad P" <bradp_xx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have a column where each cell has a number. There may be duplicates.
> Let's say A4 is 365. And A34 is 365. I would like to highlight the
> duplicate value in A34 but not in A4. If 365 is also located beyond A34
> I'd like to highlight that as well. Is this possible?
>
> Thanks

0
bradp_xx (6)

is it possible to change print ink color based on cell value?
Is it possible to change print ink color based on value in a cell for a spreadsheet application? Example: If a cell's value is over 250, can I have it print the number in red ink to draw my attention to it?? You can use Conditional Formatting (Format>Conditional Formatting) to test the value and set the font colour accordingly. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Dave The Mechanic" <Dave The Mechanic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0B63AB99-5824-4AFB-A206-D4CDF1BB9D48@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to chang...

Using a formula in a Hyperlink Cell reference
I have a workbook with approx 60 worksheets in it. I have set up hyperlinks on the 1st sheet to take me directly to the worksheet I want to see. Is there any way of using a function in the Hyperlink cell reference, so the link will automatically position me at the right cell on the target sheet? I thought I could use the COUNTA function to determine the first non-blank cell, but the hyperlink doesn't seem to like it. Hi what HYPERLINK formula are you currently using? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "sslabbe" <sslabbe@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb i...

Can Excel find a cell based on two criteria?
My worksheet does not have column headings, but I do have unique data in a particular row. The data is a Date. The rows contain unique entries also (2 characters, always unique example JO,WO,XX,RR,TV ETC..) Is there a way, to have excel find the cell that would be in the column that contains a date (entered by user)and the Row that contains the initials (again entered by the user)? If so, can a userform be created for the user to enter the information (date mm/dd/yy) + (XX), along with the New data that goes into the 'intersecting' cell? c d e ...

Summing up specific cell references and its correlating value
I want to get a total sum of "A" without having to add up eac individual "A" value. Example: January A, "25" (b1) B, 24 D, 15 February A, "30" (b8) C, 20 B, 5 April B 50 C 35 My formula for A's total sum now reads: =$b$1+$b$8 The "$" signs are there because periodically the data in that specifi month is sorted by descending amounts. Is there a "sumif" formula that can find all the "A's" and will sum u all values in the adjacent cell? Thanks in advance. - -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com H...

When copying from "date" cell to "general" cell, how to keep date.
An Excel question for you: when I try to copy data from a "date" formatted cell over to a concatenate formula in a "general" formatted field, it transfers the data over as the boolean value. This is causing endless headaches because I am trying to upload the information into our financial software. Do you know a solution for this? I think you mean the date comes over as the serial value. If not, this may not be right. In the concatenate function, embed the Text function. ex: A1 has 5/16/2004, B1 has "TEST" in it. C1 formula would be =concatenate (TEX...

Cell and tab color
Cell and tab color do not appear while working with the sheet bu does preview and print How can I get the color to appear while working with the sheet The high contrast setting may be turned on. There's information in the following MSKB article: OFF: Changes to Fill Color and Fill Pattern Are Not Displayed http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320531 RonK wrote: > Cell and tab color do not appear while working with the > sheet bu does preview and print How can I get the color > to appear while working with the sheet -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book L...

Go Immediately To A Particular Cell After Inputting Data In Another Cell And Hitting Enter
I'm inputting data in E3 and after I hit enter I want B2 to be selected. But only for E3 and only in one worksheet. And possibly a further step... Sometimes the formula in B2 has picked up data from another place depending on what value was entered in E3. If it's done this then I won't need to go to B2, I'd want to go to A8 after E3 instead of B2. Put this in the code module of the worksheet that contains the ranges you are working with. Right click the sheet name tab, select View Code from the pop up menu and paste this into the code window that appears on scre...

find and replace with zero as the first digit in a cell
I have a spreadsheet with part number, many of which begin with 0 and Excel automatically removed the 0. I want to use find and replace for blocks of this to convert it back but while it indicates it found and replaced X number of entries, there is no chage to the data. I've got the cells formatted as text and if I do the replacement one at a time by typing it seems to hold. Thanks George, Apparently your part numbers are numbers, not text. Excel stores the value of a number, not not its digits, and leading zeroes don't play a part. You can format it for leading zeroes (Forma...

separating text and numbers contained in one cell
We received a spreadsheet from a customer, containing data which w would like to improt in to a database. The problem is the numerica values and text descriptive fields are contained in one cell. Is ther a way to grab all text in a spreadsheet and move it over one colum leaving it in the same row? What I would like is for the numbers t stay in column one and the descriptive text to be cut/moved in to th adjacent cell in column two. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, DW -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Assuming the numbers and text are consistant, like addresses (1234 Alame...

show sum of selected cells
what function do i need to enable to allow the sum of selected cells to show on the bottom right of the worksheet View, Status Bar derwood Wrote: > what function do i need to enable to allow the sum of selected cells to > show on the bottom right of the worksheet -- Bryan Hessey ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Bryan Hessey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21059 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=487537 After status bar is visible, right-click on it; choose desi...

In Excel
I want to effect a mass change to the sign of numeric values in a range of cells (rows and columns). put -1 in an empty cell, copy it, select the range of cells to be modified, select Paste Special and pick Multiply. MaryKaye wrote: > I want to effect a mass change to the sign of numeric values in a range of > cells (rows and columns). Put -1 in an un-used cell and copy it. Then select the cells you want to update and: Edit > PasteSpecial > multiply -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201001 "MaryKaye" wrote: > I want to effect a mass ch...

cannot view all of text in large cell, even though I have it to w.
I have cell format to wrap text and it works fine to a p[oint then no more text is displayed....casn increase the size of the cell, but still only so much will display....rest of the cell show blank. Hi +the limit is 1024 characters. You can extend this with manually inserting linebrekas using aLT+ENTER -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany sydme wrote: > I have cell format to wrap text and it works fine to a p[oint then no > more text is displayed....casn increase the size of the cell, but > still only so much will display....rest of the cell show blank. ...

SUMIF based on cell shading
Is it possible to write a SUMIF formula based on cell shading? If so, how? I want to add up cells based on the shading of the cell. Thanks. How did the cells get shaded? If by Conditional Formatting then use the same criteria in your SUMIF If manually shaded you will need VBA See Chip Pearson's site for code. http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.aspx Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 12:55:01 -0800, IlliniEric <IlliniEric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is it possible to write a SUMIF formula based on cell shading? If so, how? I >...

Multiple hyperlinks in one cell
Is it possible to have multiple hyperlinks in one cell (referencing say 5 different cells)? Try this: Assuming they are all in the same worksheet, select those cells and give them a range name: In the Name box (just above the Col_A heading) type: rngMultiCells, then press [Enter] Then, select your hyperlink cell. Insert>Hyperlink Click: Place in this document Select the range named rngMultiCells Click [OK] Now, when you click the hyperlink....those cells should all be selected. Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron "Rednosebob" wrote: > Is it possible to have mul...

getting data from another cell
Hi I'm having a column A2 of full name eg (HOWES,CARRIE,L) I want to copy the first name, last name and the inital to three another cells like A3 LAST NAME = HOWES, A4 FIRST NAME = CARRIE, A5 MI = L Please help me to do it . Thanks jack Go to Data > Text to columns and use comma as your delimiter. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >Hi > I'm having a column A2 of full name eg (HOWES,CARRIE,L) I want to copy >the first name, last name and the inital to three another cells like A3 LAST >NAME = HOWES, A4 FIRST NAME = CARRIE, A5 MI = ...

Get rows from another tab where cell in column is empty
I have a spreadsheet where I track amounts owed to subcontractors and when they were paid. I'm trying to create another tab where I pull all rows that have not been paid. The only thing anyone has suggested so far is autofilter but that isn't what I'm looking for. Is there a function for this or would it have to be a macro? I don't really want to do a macro. I might just build this in Access, but I thought I'd try this angle first since it's already set up in Excel. I really appreciate any help that could be provided. gg If you don't like AutoFilter, then a ...

Thumbnail pictures in cells don't sort with rest of row
Hi- We use Excel for student grades here and we like to print the pictures of each student in their assigned small group. These small groups change membership frequently and the "Sort" function in excel is an easy way to keep track of which student is assigned to ehich small group tutor. I've placed a small thumbnail photograph of each student into a column "PHOTO". The thumbnails have been converted to "picture metafile" format and are entirely contained within the cell. Each picture property is set to "Move, but don't resize". Tools->Optio...

Combining Cells #2
I wish to combine two cells, want the cell to appear as Chicago Golf Club 04/15/04, where Chicago Golf Club is cell a1 and 04/14/04 is cell b1. When I use the formula a1&" "&b1 the date is shown as a number. Is there anyway it can be shown as a date? This cell will then be used to save the file, using a macro. Hi try =A1&" "&TEXT(B1,"MM/DD/YY") -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany ABYPFCS wrote: > I wish to combine two cells, want the cell to appear as Chicago Golf > Club 04/15/04, where Chicago Golf Club is cell a1 and 04/14/04 ...

Linking Cells from Multiple Sheets
Hello I have a workbook with 95 sheets containing information for different customers and I would like to extract information from 3 cells in each sheet to a 96th sheet to use this for a mailmerge document. Basically I want the information in B1 of all the sheets to copy to A2-A96 of the new sheet, i.e. Sheet 1 B1 Baker Sheet 2 B1 Toms Sheet 3 B1 Peters and what I would like on sheet 96 is A2 Baker A3 Toms A4 Peters etc I have tried to use indirect formulae but I cannot get it to work. Please can anyone point me in the right direction. TIA You haven't told us what you we...

Creating an "Empty" Cell
I have an IF statement that puts "" in cell based on a certain condition. But when I go to chart that cell (along with adjacent cells), that cell gets charted as a ZERO. I would like it to get charted as an "Empty" cell which would leave a gap in the line graph. I want the gap in the line graph indicating that there was no data for that period. I do NOT want to chart a ZERO. The question is . . . is there anyway in an IF statement to say based on a certain condition, make the cell BLANK or EMPTY (especially if the cell previously had data)? Thanks. Ch...

Entering Mutliple times in a cell #2
So with the 2 replies I have so far, I gather that I can't put the 3 times in one cell and Excel is able to calculate it?? -- gary66 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ gary66's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16060 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=275186 Yes .. you'll get #VALUE! -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Please respond in thread xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "gary66" <gary66.1f89e0@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:gary66.1f...

Copying cells from 1 worksheet to another
I have 17 work sheets with the same column/row information repeating on each sheet but each sheet is for a different customer. I want to bring info from sheet 2 thru 17 to sheet 1. Is there a way to write a formula so that I do not have to keep re-typing the formula? For instance, I want cell b2 on sheet 1 to be the text from cell b2 of sheet 2 and cell c2 to be the text from cell b2 of sheet 3, etc. Everything is text so there are no calculations, just bringing the text to a sort of summary sheet. Thanks, in advance for any help. -- WMO -----------------------------------------------...

linking cells #2
I am using msoffice 2003 and winxp pro We have a master workbook that contains worksheets for all vendors we do business with, each vendor having it's own worksheet in the workbook. We have workbooks for each of our customers, each workbook containing a worksheet for each vendor the customer buys products from. The master workbook contains the pricing for all products. When prices change, we are currently making those changes on the customer worksheets manually. I want to make this automatic by linking the customer worksheet to the appropriate vendor worksheet in the master workbook so...

Lost Data because cells become editable without request
It happened to me several times that I lost data because cell started to have a blinking cursor although it had not been clicked. will be glad to get your answer danny Any chance you hit the F2 key with that cell selected? jonasdan wrote: > > It happened to me several times that I lost data because > cell started to have a blinking cursor although it had not > been clicked. > will be glad to get your answer > danny -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

Bar chart fill color selection from reference to cell data
Is there a way to create a bar chart and have the colors be selected from data adjacent to the plotted data? Or is there a macro that can select cells which can change the color of the fill/texture? Darryl - You can set up formulas that split your data into columns based on the value in a reference column, then plot different series, each formatted to differentiate them from each other. I have a couple of conditional charting examples linked to this page: http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/format.html My examples use the values as the reference that splits the data ...