Highlight a cell that is a duplicate

Hi

I have a column where each cell has a number. There may be duplicates. Let's
say A4 is 365. And A34 is 365. I would like to highlight the duplicate value
in A34 but not in A4. If 365 is also located beyond A34 I'd like to
highlight that as well. Is this possible?

Thanks

0
bradp_xx (6)
3/22/2012 5:17:01 PM
excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I think I got it.

I turned on CF for the second cell in the range of cells within the column.
I used this formula:  =COUNTIF($B$9:$B10,$B10)>1  and applied a colour
background.

I copied that cell and pasted the formats only for the range I am using.
Testing it shows that the first value that has duplicates is not coloured
but any duplicates below are.

"Brad P" <bradp_xx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have a column where each cell has a number. There may be duplicates.
> Let's say A4 is 365. And A34 is 365. I would like to highlight the
> duplicate value in A34 but not in A4. If 365 is also located beyond A34
> I'd like to highlight that as well. Is this possible?
>
> Thanks

0
bradp_xx (6)

Compare and Highlight Rows
I have an excel file with two worksheets. is there a way to programatically compare the two worksheets to find matches and highlight those matches on each worksheet. They both have the same columns. I want to compare the InspectionID column. The Inspection ID column may have duplicates in both of the worksheets. I have never done anything in excel above the beginner level. However, I am a very skilled VBA programmer (programmed in ACCESS for over 10 years). Thank you You may find it easier to use Conditional formatting instead: For instance, with Sheet1 column A selected, and cel...

highlighting #2
I was told that although that there is no official highlight button for publisher like there is for word but there are ways to get around it. I am using the 2003 version of publisher. does anyone know the trick. Make a small box and fill it with whatever color you want. Place it behind your text and then group it with your text. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "justin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:17aa701c4496a$65af12f0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I was told that although that there is no official > highlight button for publish...

Writing Localized Strings In Cells Using Automation
Hola People, I have written a VB6 application that populates cells in an excel document with text. The user of the VB6 application selects which language the text should be in. I have created a satellite DLL for each language. Initially, when I would run the VB6 application, the text was always in english, regardless of the language selected. Then I started using the Win32 function "WideCharToMultiByte" to use a different codepage. Now the text is always written in traditional chinese, regardless of which language / Codepage the user selects. I would like to know if anyone has an...

Cell context menu in XL2007
As I understand from various postings in this forum, we can not create any custom toolbars or icons in xl2007. But Is it possible to add custom icon to run a macro in cell context menu (cell right click menu) by a add-in in VB6? If yes pl point me to a sample code if available. I am trying to make com addin in vb6 with help of example on Chip's site and need to provide a button in rightclick menu to users for accessing the code. Regards, Madiya See this page for example code http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/right-click.htm -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "Ma...

Duplicates
I used QS Import and I got a few Duplicates... Is there a way that I can set the Database so it will not allow dublicate Item lookup codes... Is there a feature that allows me to delet all duplicates? BH, If you are familiar with running SQL queries, the following query will delete duplicate item lookup codes: DELETE FROM Item WHERE EXISTS (SELECT * FROM Item as i WHERE Item.ItemLookupCode=i.ItemLookupcode AND Item.dbtimestamp > i.dbtimestamp) You can also preview which records will be deleted by running: SELECT * FROM Item as i, Item ...

how do i use arrow keys to move from cell to cell
how do i use the arrow keys to move from cell to cell in XL2003....my arrow keys only move my scroll bars kiki You might try touching your scroll lock key -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "kikikranx" <kikikranx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D693A58E-9164-45C8-B047-9211115D3A16@microsoft.com... > how do i use the arrow keys to move from cell to cell in XL2003....my arrow > keys only move my scroll bars > > kiki kiki Tap your ScrLk(scroll lock) key to toggle out of this mode. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 08:47...

highlight
Hi - just switched to Outlook 2003 from OE. I can't work out how to set up a rule where the message is a different color for a certain sender as I did in O! - can anyone tell me? TIA You can set flags on messages from certain senders. You can set the color of the font used in the list view using Conditional Formatting: View menu > Arrange by > Current View > Customize Current View > Automatic Formatting "Daskarzine" <Daskarzine@doesnotexist.com> wrote in message news:3fab5eb8@duster.adelaide.on.net... > Hi - just switched to Outlook 2003 from OE. I can&...

how to move cells from down to across
Morning- How can I move cells that are likethis: Col 1 Col 2 Col 3 Row 1 Blue 7 1020 Row 2 Red 8 512 Row 3 Pink 11 718 Row 4 Blue 15 1122 Into: Col 1 Col 2 Col 2 Col 3 Col 4 Row 1 7 8 11 15 Row 2 Blue 1020 1122 Row 3 Red 512 Row 4 Pink 718 I hope this is clear enough for you. I'm at a loss. Many Thanks! Sarah Is that data really numeric? If yes, you could add a header row to your data. Color Value1 ...

Challenging problem! Recording the time in an adjacent cell when text is entered
Does anyone have a way of using excel as follows: if I enter text in say cell A1 how can I ask excel to record the exact time I entered that text (in minutes and seconds) in say cell B1 I assume you can use the clock on your computer or maybe a stopwatch VBA plug in that counts time up or down in excel?? The reason for this is I'm wanting to use excel, run on my laptop, to record when various events happen on the basketball court such as an intercept, basket in the circle, basket outside the circle etc. Cheers, Snowy Australia. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ M...

"too many different cell formats"
When trying to open a file, the above erroe message is displayed and the file will not open. Is it at all possible to open the file or is it "lost forever"? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks Hi Cindy, You can search Google Groups on your error message http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*Excel*&num=100 Search all words: "Too Many Different Cell Formats" author: Leo Heuser Since the answers you are looking for have been posted by Leo Heuser I included his name as author for your search as well as shown above to see if the...

Using the same cell
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel If i have values in a column and want to copy those values over and over again how do I do it? Say that cell e6 has a value of cell e2 (it actually has "e2" in the cell) and the value in cell e2 is $100. I wish to copy the value of e6 to columns f thru z, but want the value copied to be e6 (otherwise they would change to f6, g6, etc). That way if I change the value of e2, every cell with e6 in it will change too. It seems to me that I used to enclose the value in quotes or parenthesis and that would copy over ...

can't highlight cell
When I click on a cell, the contents of the cell are not highlighted. Instead the cell's row and column are highlighted. I can't work with the cell or it's formula itself. Help! Tools>Options, Edit tab, check Edit directly in cell -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "MM" <MM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3883756F-29AC-482D-8205-F61892E8523D@microsoft.com... > When I click on a cell, the contents of the cell are not highlighted. > Instead the cell's row and column are highlighted. I can't work with the &...

Protect Cells #3
Is there a way to protect / unprotect multiple sheets at the same time. If not, any suggestions about the next best thing. Appreciate the help. Jon JT, you can with a macro, like this Sub protect_sheets() Dim ws As Worksheet For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets ws.Protect Next ws End Sub Sub unprotect_sheets() Dim ws As Worksheet For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets ws.Unprotect Next ws End Sub Or with password Sub protect_sheets() Dim ws As Worksheet For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets ws.Protect password:="123" Next ws End Sub Sub unprotect_sheets() Dim w...

Text highlighting in a TreeList?
Using a TreeList in a dialog, is it possible to add some text highlighting to some of the lines, like changing the color, or making it bold? (There's no indication I can find in my Newcomer book that this is possible, but it's a 9 year old book.) Yes. Owner-draw/Custom-draw tree controls did not exist when I wrote that chapter of the book. Now you would handle the NM_CUSTOMDRAW notification and handle them otherwise like most owner-draw controls. joe On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:58:00 -0800, David Deley <deleyd@gte.net> wrote: >Using a TreeList in a dialog, is it possib...

Unlock based on cell colour
Hi I have a spreadsheet with input cells coloured blue. I need a macro to unlock all blue cells. I know I need to use Colorindex but I can't work out how to put it all together. Many thanks Something like this. With Sheets("Sheet1") ..Unprotect For Each c In .Range("A2:F100") If c.ColorIndex = 5 Then c.Locked = False End If Next ..Protect End With "violasrbest" <violasrbest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CDBE053D-66C2-46C7-B66C-85EEE3FF0918@microsoft.com... > Hi > > I have a ...

highlight color using keyboard(shortcut)
Could you please tell me how to use keyboard (short cut) to highligh color for any cell or row in excell without moving a mouse to color ta in tool bar menue. Thank you for your help Vicki ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Fairly long key sequence to do it through the menu, rather impractical... my suggestion is to record a marco and assign it a keyboard shortcut. Nikos Y.(nyannaco at in dot gr) >-----Original Message----- > >Could you please ...

highlights
Hi all Can you help me and tell me if this is at all possible using conditional formatting or a formula I4 is to equal to b4 times c4. If d4 is not the same as i4 then d4 needs to highlight in red. However if d4 is a negative number then d4 should remain normal, not highlighted. Thank You Shorty, =AND(D4>=0, D4<>I4) -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Shorty" <Mysteryjim@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:i6I2e.8230$zl.6378@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com... > Hi all > > Can ...

sum based on content of other cells
Cells A7:A49 have pull downs with 20 categories to pick from. Cells H7:H49 has the value in hours spent on that category. I would like to get the sum of hours based on each category, and put this value in another cell. Can someone please help me with this ? Thanks ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You want to use the Sumif function. >-----Original Message----- >Cells A7:A49 have pull downs with 20 categories to pick from. >Cells H7:H49 has th...

??send a picture to a cell phone
How can i send a picture from windows publisher to a cell phone? I have windows xp. The friend i want to send pic to is on my buddy list on yahoo and I can send a sms message but not sure if or how to include a picture. I also have cell phone . PLEASE HELP!!!! You may not be able to. And even if you could send a picture, there's no guarantee that your friend's phone can receive them. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "beeotch1" <beeotch1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

how do I split cells in Publisher 2003?
You can only split cells if the cells has been merged. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "CalendarGirl" <CalendarGirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CC01F718-FFAA-432D-8A1E-77FFE6B239E5@microsoft.com... > ...

Cells Changing Links
Hi, The links to web pages that I am putting in cells seem to stay in the original cell position even after sorting with my excel 2003. For instance, A1 may have a link to website #1, and A2 has a link to website #2, and A3 has a link to website #3. After re-sorting column A, A1 still contains the link to website #1, even though the data in A1 moved to A3. The data formerly in A1 is now in A3 and is linked to website #3 even though it was linked to website #1 before sorting. Does this make sense? It's as if the link will never leave its original position. Is this a problem or is this...

How to turn off highlighting??
After opening Excel (everytime) the first cell I select becomes an acho for a mass highlighted block. Regardless of where I take the cursor all of the cells within the range of travel become highlighted. Al soft keys are dead (so I can't activate help). Can not "ESC" out. Ca only Cntl-Alt-Del and close program from the task manager. Does anyone have an idea what I can do to turn this off -- rsbfit ----------------------------------------------------------------------- rsbfitz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3530 View this threa...

select all non-blank cells
I need a macro to select and copy all non-blank cells in Sheet1, then paste these cells into sheet2 at Cell A1. thanks much! Try the below Sub Macro() Sheets("Sheet1").UsedRange.Copy Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A1") End Sub 'If you have any formulas that are to be converted to values then try this version Sub Macro() Sheets("Sheet1").UsedRange.Copy Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A1") Sheets("Sheet2").UsedRange = Sheets("Sheet2").UsedRange.Value End Sub -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "johncaleb&...

merging cells
In A2 I have, say 121212, and in S2 I have something else, however I'd like the content of A2 inside the string contained in S2, something like: c:\\mypictures\\<contentofA2like121212here>.tif (obviously the <contentofA2like121212here> is A2) Any help guys? Lap sorry, i worked it out (not hard after all!) ="c:\\mypictures\\"&A2&".tif" "Lapchien" <ccarswell@nospameclipse.co.uk> wrote in message news:108i8ikm534j898@news.supernews.com... > In A2 I have, say 121212, and in S2 I have something else, however I'd like >...

How to deselect one cell when selecting multiple nonadjacent cells?
I want to select many nonadjacent cells. So I hold down Ctrl key and do it one by one. Very often I will hit the wrong cell. How can I deselect that cell without cancelling the cells I have already selected? Please help me! It drives me crazy! Thanks a lot! Chip Pearson has shared a couple of macros and code that adds this functionality to the cell's rightclick menu. Take a look at this thread: http://google.com/groups?threadm=%23yUSqTuADHA.2296%40TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/ex...