Hide Rows and Columns based on Date Input

Dates are listed in Column A, starting from Cell A3, and data appears
in the corresponding rows (across the page).  Not every cell has data
in for the corresponding date.

For example: The date in cell A5 may have data in Cell B5, E5 & G5.

I would like to enter a date (using a command button and input box),
this will then hide all rows, except for the row which relates to the
date that has been entered.  At the same time I would like it hide all
columns that do not have data in for the given date.

.... carrying on from example above.

If the user entered the date that appeared in cell A5, all other rows
with data in would be hidden.  Also, rows with no date would be
hidden, i.e. C5, D5, F5

A button to show all columns/rows would also be of use.

Can anyone help with this?

My thanks in advance

Lui
0
l_a_rocco (14)
6/11/2008 4:12:29 PM
excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi,
Will a specific date only ever appear once in Column A, or could there be
multiple entries of the same date?
Regards - Dave
0
dave871 (679)
6/11/2008 5:51:00 PM
These should do it.

Sub FilterUnfilterToggle()
Columns.Hidden = False
Range("a1").AutoFilter
End Sub

Sub FilterDate()
mydate = Format(InputBox("Enter date"), Range("A2").NumberFormat)
Range("A1:a10").AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:=mydate
lc = Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column
mr = Columns(1).Find(What:=mydate, After:=Cells(2, 1), LookIn:=xlValues, _
        lookAt:=xlWhole, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext).Row
For i = 2 To lc
If Len(Trim(Cells(mr, i))) < 1 Then Columns(i).Hidden = True
Next i
End Sub

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
"LROCCO" <l_a_rocco@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Dates are listed in Column A, starting from Cell A3, and data appears
> in the corresponding rows (across the page).  Not every cell has data
> in for the corresponding date.
>
> For example: The date in cell A5 may have data in Cell B5, E5 & G5.
>
> I would like to enter a date (using a command button and input box),
> this will then hide all rows, except for the row which relates to the
> date that has been entered.  At the same time I would like it hide all
> columns that do not have data in for the given date.
>
> ... carrying on from example above.
>
> If the user entered the date that appeared in cell A5, all other rows
> with data in would be hidden.  Also, rows with no date would be
> hidden, i.e. C5, D5, F5
>
> A button to show all columns/rows would also be of use.
>
> Can anyone help with this?
>
> My thanks in advance
>
> Lui

0
dguillett1 (2487)
6/11/2008 8:47:44 PM
On 11 Jun, 21:47, "Don Guillett" <dguille...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> These should do it.
>
> Sub FilterUnfilterToggle()
> Columns.Hidden =3D False
> Range("a1").AutoFilter
> End Sub
>
> Sub FilterDate()
> mydate =3D Format(InputBox("Enter date"), Range("A2").NumberFormat)
> Range("A1:a10").AutoFilter Field:=3D1, Criteria1:=3Dmydate
> lc =3D Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column
> mr =3D Columns(1).Find(What:=3Dmydate, After:=3DCells(2, 1), LookIn:=3DxlV=
alues, _
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 lookAt:=3DxlWhole, SearchOrder:=3DxlByRows, SearchDirectio=
n:=3DxlNext).Row
> For i =3D 2 To lc
> If Len(Trim(Cells(mr, i))) < 1 Then Columns(i).Hidden =3D True
> Next i
> End Sub
>
> --
> Don Guillett
> Microsoft MVP Excel
> SalesAid Software
> dguille...@austin.rr.com"LROCCO" <l_a_ro...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> > Dates are listed in Column A, starting from Cell A3, and data appears
> > in the corresponding rows (across the page). =A0Not every cell has data
> > in for the corresponding date.
>
> > For example: The date in cell A5 may have data in Cell B5, E5 & G5.
>
> > I would like to enter a date (using a command button and input box),
> > this will then hide all rows, except for the row which relates to the
> > date that has been entered. =A0At the same time I would like it hide all=

> > columns that do not have data in for the given date.
>
> > ... carrying on from example above.
>
> > If the user entered the date that appeared in cell A5, all other rows
> > with data in would be hidden. =A0Also, rows with no date would be
> > hidden, i.e. C5, D5, F5
>
> > A button to show all columns/rows would also be of use.
>
> > Can anyone help with this?
>
> > My thanks in advance
>
> > Lui- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the replies & the code

The dates in column A are unique.

I have tried the code and it seems to work fine until it hides the
columns.  It seems to trip over on:
"mr =3D Columns(1).Find(What:=3Dmydate, After:=3DCells(2, 1),
LookIn:=3DxlValues, _"
I have changed the range to ("A4:A500") to adapt to my spreadsheet.
Not sure if I should change Range("A2") on second line of code?

0
l_a_rocco (14)
6/12/2008 8:58:53 AM
My code assumed a header row 1 and dates starting at row TWO. Adapt as
desired.

--
On 11 Jun, 21:47, "Don Guillett" <dguille...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> These should do it.
>
> Sub FilterUnfilterToggle()
> Columns.Hidden = False
> Range("a1").AutoFilter
> End Sub
>
> Sub FilterDate()
> mydate = Format(InputBox("Enter date"), Range("A2").NumberFormat)
> Range("A1:a10").AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:=mydate
> lc = Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column
> mr = Columns(1).Find(What:=mydate, After:=Cells(2, 1), LookIn:=xlValues, _
> lookAt:=xlWhole, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext).Row
> For i = 2 To lc
> If Len(Trim(Cells(mr, i))) < 1 Then Columns(i).Hidden = True
> Next i
> End Sub
>
> --
> Don Guillett
> Microsoft MVP Excel
> SalesAid Software
> dguille...@austin.rr.com"LROCCO" <l_a_ro...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> > Dates are listed in Column A, starting from Cell A3, and data appears
> > in the corresponding rows (across the page). Not every cell has data
> > in for the corresponding date.
>
> > For example: The date in cell A5 may have data in Cell B5, E5 & G5.
>
> > I would like to enter a date (using a command button and input box),
> > this will then hide all rows, except for the row which relates to the
> > date that has been entered. At the same time I would like it hide all
> > columns that do not have data in for the given date.
>
> > ... carrying on from example above.
>
> > If the user entered the date that appeared in cell A5, all other rows
> > with data in would be hidden. Also, rows with no date would be
> > hidden, i.e. C5, D5, F5
>
> > A button to show all columns/rows would also be of use.
>
> > Can anyone help with this?
>
> > My thanks in advance
>
> > Lui- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the replies & the code

The dates in column A are unique.

I have tried the code and it seems to work fine until it hides the
columns.  It seems to trip over on:
"mr = Columns(1).Find(What:=mydate, After:=Cells(2, 1),
LookIn:=xlValues, _"
I have changed the range to ("A4:A500") to adapt to my spreadsheet.
Not sure if I should change Range("A2") on second line of code?

0
dguillett1 (2487)
6/12/2008 12:05:50 PM
On 12 Jun, 13:05, "Don Guillett" <dguille...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> My code assumed a header row 1 and dates starting at row TWO. Adapt as
> desired.
>
> --
> Don Guillett
> Microsoft MVP Excel
> SalesAid Software
> dguille...@austin.rr.com"LROCCO" <l_a_ro...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> On 11 Jun, 21:47, "Don Guillett" <dguille...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>

> > These should do it.
>
> > Sub FilterUnfilterToggle()
> > Columns.Hidden =3D False
> > Range("a1").AutoFilter
> > End Sub
>
> > Sub FilterDate()
> > mydate =3D Format(InputBox("Enter date"), Range("A2").NumberFormat)
> > Range("A1:a10").AutoFilter Field:=3D1, Criteria1:=3Dmydate
> > lc =3D Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column
> > mr =3D Columns(1).Find(What:=3Dmydate, After:=3DCells(2, 1), LookIn:=3Dx=
lValues, _
> > lookAt:=3DxlWhole, SearchOrder:=3DxlByRows, SearchDirection:=3DxlNext).R=
ow
> > For i =3D 2 To lc
> > If Len(Trim(Cells(mr, i))) < 1 Then Columns(i).Hidden =3D True
> > Next i
> > End Sub
>
> > --
> > Don Guillett
> > Microsoft MVP Excel
> > SalesAid Software
> > dguille...@austin.rr.com"LROCCO" <l_a_ro...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in messag=

> > > Dates are listed in Column A, starting from Cell A3, and data appears
> > > in the corresponding rows (across the page). Not every cell has data
> > > in for the corresponding date.
>
> > > For example: The date in cell A5 may have data in Cell B5, E5 & G5.
>
> > > I would like to enter a date (using a command button and input box),
> > > this will then hide all rows, except for the row which relates to the
> > > date that has been entered. At the same time I would like it hide all
> > > columns that do not have data in for the given date.
>
> > > ... carrying on from example above.
>
> > > If the user entered the date that appeared in cell A5, all other rows
> > > with data in would be hidden. Also, rows with no date would be
> > > hidden, i.e. C5, D5, F5
>
> > > A button to show all columns/rows would also be of use.
>
> > > Can anyone help with this?
>
> > > My thanks in advance
>
> > > Lui- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks for the replies & the code
>
> The dates in column A are unique.
>
> I have tried the code and it seems to work fine until it hides the
> columns. =A0It seems to trip over on:
> "mr =3D Columns(1).Find(What:=3Dmydate, After:=3DCells(2, 1),
> LookIn:=3DxlValues, _"
> I have changed the range to ("A4:A500") to adapt to my spreadsheet.
> Not sure if I should change Range("A2") on second line of code?- Hide quot=
ed text -

I've tried your code as per your assumptions and it works great.

Can you tell me what I would need to change if the header takes up the
first three rows (i.e. dates starts at cell A4)

Thanks

Lui
0
l_a_rocco (14)
6/12/2008 1:10:20 PM
Please TOP post for me.
cells(2,1) is the same as range("a2").

--
> [...]
> > > hidden, i.e. C5, D5, F5
>
> > > A button to show all columns/rows would also be of use.
>
> > > Can anyone help with this?
>
> > > My thanks in advance
>
> > > Lui- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks for the replies & the code
>
> The dates in column A are unique.
>
> I have tried the code and it seems to work fine until it hides the
> columns. It seems to trip over on:
> "mr = Columns(1).Find(What:=mydate, After:=Cells(2, 1),
> LookIn:=xlValues, _"
> I have changed the range to ("A4:A500") to adapt to my spreadsheet.
> Not sure if I should change Range("A2") on second line of code?- Hide
> quoted text -

I've tried your code as per your assumptions and it works great.

Can you tell me what I would need to change if the header takes up the
first three rows (i.e. dates starts at cell A4)

deleting blank rows for up to 60000 rows of data
I have worksheets with up to 60000 rows in one column I have tried using the following macro from this site and it does not do anything. Any ideas?: Sub Sonic() Dim i As Long With Application .Calculation = xlCalculationManual .ScreenUpdating = False Lastrow = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count For i = Lastrow To 1 Step -1 If WorksheetFunction.CountA(Rows(i)) = 0 Then Rows(i).EntireRow.Delete End If Next i .Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic .ScreenUpdating = True End With End Sub Hi, The code works f...

summing a column according to criteria of two other columns
I am creating a cash flow forecast sheet and trying to add up the project values of a particular service provided in june this year. i am attempting to do this by referring to a sheet called data which has a column of project values (N), a column with the month and year of the project (V) written as 62004 and a column of services (E) of which i want to select those projects where the service was Translation - Standard. By looking at the help for countif by multiple criteria i altered the formula to a sumif. I am using the formula... =SUM(IF((Data!$E$3:$E$2000='Translation - Standard'...

Hiding "0" values in pivot table

Hiding formuals in cells question

Not allowing Alpha Characters in a Numeric Formatted Column
I have a spreadsheet that we provide to vendors where they have to fill in their product data and send it back to us where we import this data into the products database. I have the spreadsheet set up the way I want it and have drop down boxes where applicable for data validation. I have several fields that i only want #'s. Sometimes integers, sometimes there may be a decimal. I set the formats accordingly. HOwever, you can still type the letter A or B or C etc... in there. I only want them to be able to type in #'s. In access I can use a mask. Is there anything similar in Exce...

hide my name

Automatically Highlight Every Second Row in Excel
Hi, I would like to know if there is any way to have excel automatically highlight every second row in a sheet to make it easier to read accross the row? Thanks GW Can you use conditional formatting? If yes, see Chip Pearson's site: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/banding.htm NHB wrote: > > Hi, > > I would like to know if there is any way to have excel automatically > highlight every second row in a sheet to make it easier to read accross the > row? > > Thanks > GW -- Dave Peterson ec35720@netscape.com ...

Fixing a row number for an item
Good evening all. I have trawled through google, but to no avail - maybe I was not precise enough. Any assistence here would be most appreciated. I have a simple table as below: A B 1 Reference Cost (�) - Headers 2 115 89 3 102 25 4 026 56 5 012 99 6 155 22 7 102 12 Now I sort the table - descending (B) - (I stipulate a header row). However I wish to be able to re-sort, to...

How to get rows from 4 diff permitations??
Hi All Wondered if you could help. I have 2 tables of data like so: PUPILS PID PNAME 1 Fred1 2 Fred2 3 Fred3 4 Fred4 LEVELS TID PID YEAR TERMID MATHSLEVEL READLEVEL 1 1 2006 0 W1 W2 2 2 2006 0 1B W4 3 3 2006 0 W1 W2 4 4 2006 0 2C 5A 5 1 2007 1 W1 W2 6 2 2007 ...

Hiding and Un-Hiding Data fields

How do I hide gaps in an Excel 2007 chart?

Hiding a worksheet #3

Cannot add columns to custom views
I have a problem that is causing a major handicap. I cannot add any columns to any custom leads view that I create. No matter what, the only column that is displayed is the default key column (name) that is there when the view is created. When I click on add columns, the dialog box that is supposed to list columns that I can add to the view has no columns listed at all. I am logged in as the System Administrator when trying to accomplish this. Also, when I create a filter criteria it is never saved. I save it, but when I go back into it, it is gone. Any help would be GREATLY apprec...

VBA write macro change column with 3 number digits to 4 digits the
-- James Do you mean Sub Macro() Range("D1:D10").NumberFormat = "0000" End Sub -- Jacob "James C" wrote: > > -- > James Use the white space (here) to record details of your requirements - don't try to put it all in the message header. Pete On Jan 25, 1:51=A0pm, James C <Jam...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > -- > James Thanks for your response -- James "Jacob Skaria" wrote: > Do you mean > > Sub Macro() > Range("D1:D10").NumberFormat = "00...

Hide images when Hiding Rows

BETWEEN DATES SUM
Hi, Col A has dates in order Col B has amounts Cell D1 is the beginning date Cell E1 is the end date I want to sum Col B where the dates in ColA are between the dates in D1 and E1. Thanks for your help. Jerry I believe this should do it: =SUMIF(A:A,">="&D1,B:B) - SUMIF(A:A,">"&E1,B:B) tl "Jerry Kinder" wrote: > Hi, > > Col A has dates in order > Col B has amounts > > Cell D1 is the beginning date > Cell E1 is the end date > > I want to sum Col B where the dates in ColA are between the dates in D1 and > ...

how to hide an ActiveX control?

Repeating columns cuts off merged cells
Hi all, I hope you can help because I can't find a solution to this one. I've got a two page spreadsheet (side by side) and I'm trying to repeat columns A & B because their row headings on the left and should only appear when printed (split onto two pages) (as in print setup > columns to repeat at left > $A:$B), ...... but B57:I57 are merged and wrapped (another grief that merged wrapped cells don't auto height, but that's for another day) and so are B58:I58 and B59:I59 (footer things). ...... and when printed, B57:I57, etc. cuts off on the second page and...

Hiding plot Area

Hiding rows with VBA
Hi all, In my sheet called "insertsheet I have this VBA: (thanks to some users of Google groups) Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Const nMAX As Long = 10 Dim nRows As Long Application.ScreenUpdating = False With Me With .Range("B8") If Intersect(Target(1), .Cells) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub nRows = .Value End With .Range(.Cells(1, 5), .Cells(1, _ .Columns.Count)).EntireColumn.Hidden = True .Range(Cells(1, 5), .Cells(1, _ ...

date mask via vba?
Anyone have any code to simulate a date mask on a Word form that works like a date mask on an Access form. i.e. slashes are automatically entered as user types a date in the format mm/dd/yyyy If this is a protected form field, set its property type to Date and apply a mask. Protect the form, then any valid date input will be converted to match your mask. No vba required. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http:/...

hiding rows
I have data in cells A7:DK394 which all have 0 in them until totals are added in other worksheets which then pullthrough. At the end of the week I have to Hide all rows from A7 to A394 that still have 0 in them as no totals have been added in other sheets so the customer has not posted with us. is there any way excell can recognise the cells that have no data against them and hide them automatically by pressing a button. or if they all start off hidden unhide as data is entered. Hopefully this makes sense many thanks for any help with this as again its to save me lots of...

calculation of future value between two dates
HELP please. I am trying to find an easy / short way to calculate future value of a lump sum amount between two dates. The info I will have :- 1. Amount (say $1000 ) 2. Start date of deposit (1st jan 2008) 3. Date to which future value is to be calculated to (1st may 2010) 4. Interest rate ( fixed 10%) 5. Compounded semiannualy. How can I create a formulae to calculate this in one swoop ? "manas123" <manas123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How can I create a formulae to calculate this in one swoop ? For an approximation: =FV(10%/2, DATEDI...

Hide contacts
I must hide some contacts from GAL excepted for 2 user that must to see them and select to send email. If only 2 users need a Contact, why not have them create it in their Contacts folder? -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "MauroR" <MauroR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DAC0E2E9-7389-49F0-8736-3B9251DBB274@microsoft.com... >I must hide some contacts from GAL excepted for 2 user that must to see >them > and select to send email. Th...

Return a name in the same row
I have a 2 sheet spreadsheet. I want a formula to match a cell in column A of sheet 1 to a matching cell in column a of sheet 2 and return a name form the same matching row in column C of sheet 2. I have searched for this formula and cannot find it. Please help. Scott Sheet 1 CustNum 1 9 9 9 9 10 10 11 11 11 11 11 14 14 30 38 38 40 50 50 50 50 Sheet 2 CustNum ShopNum LastName 1 5 Name one 2 5 Name two 5 53 Name three 7 57 Name four 8 8 Name five 9 9 Name six 10 10 Name seven 11 11 Name eight 12 340 Name nine 13 12 Name ten 14 13 Name eleven...