Here is fix for Windows file problems

If you have installed a Windows update and started having problems opening,
closing, copying files,  see:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc&mid=1fe358b1-c8eb-4217-ad2a-4b9fcf741916
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

How do I fix this?
I used the Startup tool to setup my application but I unchecked the Menu Bar and the Shortcut Menu Bar checkboxes. I need to make some changes but I can't get the Tool menu back. Help Please. Thanks Hold down the Shift key when you open your database. Rob "Ayo" <Ayo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3A9F20A-231C-42CA-80C4-59B836CFE1AB@microsoft.com... >I used the Startup tool to setup my application but I unchecked the Menu >Bar > and the Shortcut Menu Bar checkboxes. I need to make some changes but I > can't > get the Tool menu ba...

File/Send/Link by Email greyed out
I have Win 7 (upgraded from Vista) and IE 8. On any web page when I click File/Send the options "Link by E-mail" and "Page by E-mail" are greyed out. It worked in Vista. Is there any way I can enable those commands again? Thanks "Niall" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message news:55AF1874-D5C3-4D24-B38B-03D035D97943@microsoft.com... > I have Win 7 (upgraded from Vista) and IE 8. > On any web page when I click File/Send the options "Link by E-mail" and > "Page by E-mail" are greyed out. It worked in Vista. Is there any...

Problem with updating links in Excel 2003
Five spreadsheets, collective size around 150 MB. Knee deep in formulas, functions and figures. All five workbooks are linked to each other, thus it is necessary to open them all at one time. Unfortunately, this isn’t possible. Each time the fifth sheet is opened, you receive the following error: "Excel cannot complete this task with available resources. Choose less data or close other apps." ...

Need to convert 2002 back t0 while laptop is fixed
My laptop with Money 2002 died and had to be sent in for service which will probably be about a month. The good news is that I backup up all my data files the day before and burned them to CD. My office machine is running Windows 98 SE and Money 2001 but it will not read the 2002 files. I can't install XP because the machine will not support it. I used a friend's machine and can open my backup file but I don't want to leave my financial data there. Is there some way I can transfer the data to Excel or save it in a backwardly compatible format? I tried to synchronis...

Problem with LoadFromResource...please help
Dear All, I have a piece of code that loads an html page (using LoadFromResource) on to the dialog as a GUI. Every time after the user does something then a different html page will be loaded. After I ran my code for a few thousand transactions then I see a big increase in the memory size of my application. I used Rational Purify and it said that mshtml.dll is leaking memory. MLK: Memory leak of 10240 bytes from 5 blocks allocated in mshtml.dll Distribution of leaked blocks 10240 bytes from 5 blocks of 2048 bytes (first block: 0x09f493d8) Alloc...

opening a filedialog window
Hi All, i am trying to get a commandbutton_click to open a filedialog box for c:\greg\bids Windows.Application.FileDialog.Show "c:\greg\bids\" maybe a filedialog box is not what i think it is. address c:\greg\bids and should show all the files in that folder? Thanks in advance for any help. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Try Dim fd As FileDialog Set fd = Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFilePicker) fd.InitialFileName = "c:\greg\bids\" fd.Show you will need to tell what it must do with the selected file thoug -- Message posted from http:...

Fixing column width
I have a spreadsheet in which I have set the widths of certain columns using Autofit. The problem is that I often have to add to the spreadsheet by importing data from a text file. Every time I do that, the column width changes to the width of the new data (which is usually narrower than what I wanted). Is there a way to prevent that from happening? Thanks, Cliff Lewis Assuming you're using the Data, Import Data command, when you get to the final "Import Data" dialog there is a "Properties" button (in Excel 2003 at least). One of those properties is Adjust column w...

Combine Money Files
I am using Money 2004. I have two files with bank accounts and investments. What is the easiest way to combine them to 1 file? I tried export and import but since all cash and investment transactions for each account are all exported seperately, they don't get imported right. In microsoft.public.money, Mustafa wrote: >I am using Money 2004. I have two files with bank >accounts and investments. What is the easiest way to >combine them to 1 file? I tried export and import but >since all cash and investment transactions for each >account are all exported seperately, ...

How do I copy file from resources to C:\Notes?
How do I programmatically copy SpecialNote.txt from my VB.NET app's project resources to C:\Notes\ on user's PC at runtime? On 5/30/2010 10:59 PM, Mark B wrote: > How do I programmatically copy SpecialNote.txt from my VB.NET app's > project resources to C:\Notes\ on user's PC at runtime? Why did you ask this here and in the C# group, with a slight modification? -- Mike Dim myEncoding As New System.Text.ASCIIEncoding() System.IO.File.WriteAllBytes(myXMLFileLocation, myEncoding.GetBytes(Properties.Resources.AddinUserSettingsXML)) "Mark B"...

Windows Live Mail
I am trying to help a friend of mine. I use Outlook 2003, but I have acquired a general understanding of hoe WLM works. I'm going to try to be as brief and clear as I can. WLM was already installed, but not setup, on his PC (Windows XP-home-sp3) when he installed a Microsoft webcam. First step was to come up with an ID (Screen name), then, we had no choice, we had to select "@hotmail.com or @Livemail.com". We chose the latter. The next step was to add an account. At this point we realized that to get to your e-mail you had firsdt to sign in to Windows Live, t...

Format- problems
I have a query with the following : Format(tblAvvikelser.regDate,"yyyy/mm"). If I put in 2010-05-27 (swedish date format), it should return 2010-05. On some clients it works fine but in others I receive an error, telling me that the format can not be solved. Why??? Copied form a post I saw about 1 month ago: Access will struggle to interpret a date. The text string "3/10/2010" will be interpreted as March 10 (even if the user intended it to be 3 October), but it will give a JDate value. "4/30/2010" will similarly be April 30 (and it won't try i...

The great disappearing hot fix
Has anyone experienced anything like this? Yesterday, one of our users complained to me about some quirk in GP eConnect processing that I had thought we fixed in December of 2007 via a Hot Fix to eConnect. Well, when I checked our server it was as if the hot fix was never installed (the eConnect release version was the basic 9.0.3.0, instead of 9.0.3.4). The Hot Fix was also missing from Add/Remove Programs. I went to reinstall the hot fix, and when the install program started it gave me the option to either Repair or Remove the hot fix. So, something was still present tha...

Do you block or quarantine .zip files ?
In my organization, we receive massive amout of bogus .zip files sent by addresses that are spoofed. I configured Symantec Mail Security 4.5 to quarantine .zips message and forward alert to users to notify that message was quarantined. I did that during an attack of a virus that were embedded in an encrypted zip file. Do you block or quarantine zip files in your organization ? Or does your anti-virus solution is able to scan and detect infected zipped files ? Marlon Brown wrote: > In my organization, we receive massive amout of bogus .zip files sent > by addresses that are spoo...

How to show the aphabet list toolbar in the contacts window
Hi, I remember having a alphabet toolbar in the contacts list (when in View>Phone List). Now I don't seem to have it anymore. Does anyone know how to re-enable it? Thanks. On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 11:32:12 +0800, "Tom" <faai_dee_mail@fastmail.fm> wrote: >Hi, > >I remember having a alphabet toolbar in the contacts list (when in >View>Phone List). Now I don't seem to have it anymore. Does anyone know >how to re-enable it? > Try viewing your contacts in Address Card view. Your alphabet list will appear on the right side of the view. -- <...

Sending messages to other windows
Hi, I would like to know how I can send user-defined messages to windows in another application. For example I have two dialog applications. Sometimes one dialog app needs to send the other dialog app a message telling it somethings has happened. Are there any examples or tutorials on how I could implement this?? check the following article by Joseph M. Newcomer. http://www.codeproject.com/dialog/messagemgmt.asp -- Cheers suhredayan _________________ there is no spoon... "W Akthar" <wakthar@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:687c01c42ea5$2bd70590$a301280a@phx.gbl... &g...

Rules and Signature files
Where are the Rules and Signature files stored in Outlook 2000? I've copied the .pst file which contains the mail, calendar, contacts and other information, but the rules and the signature are not part of it. I would like to be able to create a complete restore when putting a user's Outlook on a new computer, or restoring after a hard drive crash. Rules are stored in the user's inbox (on the Exchange server if using it and in the PST if delivering mail there). Signatures are stored here on WinXP and Win2000: C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\Mi...

Moving .PST file
How do I move my .PST file from one directory to another? All the data file maintenance dialogs appear to want to keep it fixed? Thanks! Close Outlook - cut and paste your .pst file to the preferred location. Next time you start Outlook and it complains, point it to the new location for your .pst file. I keep mine on a backup data drive so it is never lost if the main drive fails. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without...

Error importing dates from fixed width txt files
I'm trying to revise an existing Import Spec to include new fields added to a fixed width text file. If I import without making any revisions the dates import correctly. They are on the file as CCYYMMDD and the data field in the Spec is Date/Time and I've deselected 4 digit year. My new date fields were added to the text file as YYMMDD and I select Date/Time data field for the new fields. However, with the revisions made adding the new fields none of the date fields import now with the revised spec. Another user created the spec and we're both using Access 2003 with th...

WLM hanges up opening .pdf files
Loaded Windows 7 & Windows Live Mail last week. When I try to open an attachment for a .pdf file the live mail program hanges up. Weverthing was working fine in Vista & Windows mail. These attachments are coming from known sources, USCG-AUX. I need to get this fixed yesterday! Any other attachment I get opens OK. I have Adobe Acrobat 9.X on the computer. -- Bobbyh4dkeys If you save the attachment from WLM can you then open it? In order to open an attachment from WLM, the Windows File Associations must have an OPEN action. If there is no OPEN action, you typic...

Is it SQL 2008 or VB 2008 problem? I don't know
Hello, I have created an application with Visual Basic2005 Standard Edition 2 years ago. The application imports CSV files in the database. The application is connecting to the database that I made it with SQL Server 2005. This is the connection string: Data Source=XXX; Initial Catalog=YYY; Integrated Security=SSPI; Pooling=true; The application uses the TransactionScope class this way with no problem: Using Scope As New Transactions.TransactionScope(Transactions.TransactionScopeOption.RequiresNew) ... Scope.Complete() End Using In the transaction, the applicat...

Exchange: Addressbook synced, but can't access it in the "New E-Mail" window...
Hello there! I set up my Entourage to connect to our Exchange 2003 server and everything's working perfectly so far. When i click on ne E-Mail i can access all the addressbooks on my Mac and on the Exchange server. I made a screenshot, but made my address book anonymous. The name of the exchange account in my Entourage is "igepa-its" and Kontakte is german for Contacts ;-) http://i46.tinypic.com/ixee8p.png Now my boss got a Mac too and i set it up with connection to our Exchange too and so on. If i click on the "Address Book" button in the main window, i c...

problem with sending this-pointer thru a hook

Password Problem
Hello everyone I have lots of users whom connect through the Internet to the Exchange 2000 server using either Outlook or Outlook express. Because of my gateway resides in the same computer than the exchange, the last uses port 6000 to send e-mails. The problem is that even with the passwords configured on the Outlook client, when the users try to send e-mail, the login screen comes up again, every time they close the outlook and re-open it it asks for password. I know I must validate the users that send mail to prevent the open relay, but is there something I can do to stop the password windo...

Opening Excel-file in new window
I would like to be able to open an Excel-file in a new window through shortcut. I know I can do this by putting the path to excel before th path to the file in the target for the shortcut. ex) "C:\Program\Microsoft Office 2000\Office\EXCEL.EXE" C:\MyFile.xls This way I need to know the path to Excel all the time and also kno which version is installed. As long as I have the file on my computer know all these things but since I'm creating this shortcut via a installationprogram I don't know what's installed on the client computer... Have any suggestions -- Message po...

pst file.
How big can a outlook 2003 pst file grow to. "rhaasan" wrote in message news:9BF38B38-0366-4575-AEDD-90C187A8A727@microsoft.com... > How big can a outlook 2003 pst file grow to. ANSI or Unicode format? Either i guess ansi is still 2gb but what is unicode? "VanguardLH" wrote: > "rhaasan" wrote in message > news:9BF38B38-0366-4575-AEDD-90C187A8A727@microsoft.com... > > How big can a outlook 2003 pst file grow to. > > > ANSI or Unicode format? > > "rhaasan" <rhaasan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mess...