Help with macro/and or formula?

Perhaps this is a silly question, but i just can't figure out how t
format this worksheet.  The problem is that a lot of the cells hav
numbers in them with negative signs in the back instead of in the fron
(ie. 23-) and i was wondering if anyone knew of a macro/formula i coul
use to quickly fix this problem for all the cells.  I would b
extremely grateful.  Thanks

--
brefed1
brefed15's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3557

excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

If you don't want to use VBA you could put this formula in the next
cell

Assuming you ar looking at A1 and Forumla in B1

=IF(RIGHT(A1)="-","-"&SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","",1),A1)

--
VBA Noob
VBA Noob's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=33833

Thank you for the prompt response, but for some reason the formula is
not working.  For instance, when i tried it in the wkst for a cell with
2345.12-, it gave me the same exact result.  I'm confused cause i think
the formula is right.

--
brefed15
brefed15's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35573

Select the cells.

Data>Text to Columns>Next>Next>Advanced.

Checkmark "trailing minus signs etc."

Finish.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:02:02 -0500, brefed15
<brefed15.29nvin_1150740605.7171@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote:

>Perhaps this is a silly question, but i just can't figure out how to
>format this worksheet.  The problem is that a lot of the cells have
>numbers in them with negative signs in the back instead of in the front
>(ie. 23-) and i was wondering if anyone knew of a macro/formula i could
>use to quickly fix this problem for all the cells.  I would be
>extremely grateful.  Thanks!

0
Gord
6/19/2006 7:00:51 PM
Try this

Sub Test()
Dim oCell As Range

    For Each oCell In Selection
        If Not IsEmpty(oCell.Value) Then _
            oCell.Value = CDbl(oCell.Value)
    Next oCell

End Sub

--
 HTH

Bob Phillips

"brefed15" <brefed15.29nwob_1150742106.8707@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:brefed15.29nwob_1150742106.8707@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Thank you for the prompt response, but for some reason the formula is
> not working.  For instance, when i tried it in the wkst for a cell with
> 2345.12-, it gave me the same exact result.  I'm confused cause i think
> the formula is right.
>

> --
> brefed15
> brefed15's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35573
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=553339

0
bob.NGs1 (1661)
6/19/2006 7:09:43 PM
Thanks a lot!

--
brefed15
brefed15's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35573
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=553339

sumifs help

hide formula in cells till data is available for calc
I recall being able to copy a formula in a column and hiding it until data becomes available to complete the calculation. This way you don't have a series of #value# in the work sheet. The formula contains an absolute reference as well. Thanks, Kiwi A look at your formula would have been nice. =IF(cellref="","",do something) traps for cellref having no data. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 15:02:01 -0700, kiwi <kiwi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I recall being able to copy a formula in a column and hiding it u...

Help !

Help with this thing

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

Excel Macro to delete rows
Hello, I have an excel Sheet in which I have a blank row below the cell which contains "<<<Mem>>>". I vave some random data and multiple such cells. Can I get some help with the excel macros for the same? Harsh Assuming "Mem" is in column E: Sub DeleteRowBelowMem() For i=cells(rows.count,5).end(xlup).row to 1 step -1 if cells(i,5).value="Mem" then rows(i+1).Delete Next End Sub Bob Umlas Excel MVP HTH "Harsh" <cooldreamz83@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1159983014.172239.234480@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... ...

Import data using macro
Hi, how do you use excel to import a text file using a macro to do the work for you? I start by creating a new workbook. Then turn on the macro recorder and open that text file. (Try not to make errors--it can make clean up troublesome.) Then format the worksheet (headers/footers/page layout/filters,freeze panes) exactly the way you want. When you're done, turn off the macro recorder. Close the imported file and back to your other workbook. Insert a giant button from the forms toolbar on the first worksheet (with instructions). Then save it. Now go into the vbe and start tweakin...

exch 5.5 help

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

Need help in data copying.

help...help...help

Macro Help

help me #2

Program a macro to print
I have an employee expense report that contains employee information in the first five rows. The rows 6 through 30 are blank and for the employee to fill in (or add additional rows if necessary) with a list of their expenses. In rows 31 - 37, there is information that the employee acknowledges that the expenses listed in the rows are true and incurred on behalf of his/her job duties. I have a macro that automatically prints this worksheet. If the employee doesn't have enough expenses to fill all the rows between 6 and 30, I would like to create a routine in my macro...

Opening a file with a Macro
To open files with a macro, I am currently using: Workbooks.Open Filename:= "C:\file_path.xls" How can I use a variable as part of the file path? In other words, before I try to open the file in my VBA code I will set a variable (let's call it date_extension). Then I want to open a file that I know will exist with a file path whose final characters before the .xls will be the date_extension. How can I get the file path to be recognized with the variable? Thanks for your help (P.S. I am a total novice, so I may not be familiar with commands or procedures that are fair...

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

CString help

Your Help is Appreciated

Sort Macro #2
I recorded this macro to sort a list according to a custom list. The problem I have is that it does not sort on another users Excel because they don't have the same customs list. Is there a way round this problem? Sub Macro1() Columns("N:N").Select Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("N1"), Order1:=xlDescending, Header:=xlGuess, _ OrderCustom:=12, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, _ DataOption1:=xlSortNormal End Sub Hi! Application.AddCustomList ListArray:=Range("A1:A10") will add a custo list to a workbook using a range y...

bcc help

Macro Recording Error
Word 2003 (11.8313.8221) SP3 I have run into a (apparently) random, but recurring error while recording macros: The macro records without a Sub line, displays fine in the editor, but crashes Word when I click inside the editor window. Any thoughts? Error Info: AppName: winword.exe AppVer: 11.0.8313.0 AppStamp:4a793d83 ModName: vbe6.dll ModVer: 6.5.10.40 ModStamp:48a4b5d6 fDebug: 0 Offset: 00075b00 ...

Rules Wizard Help