Help with Array Formula #2

Hi there,

I have a spreadsheet with 7 columns (named Bird, Cow, Horse, Rabbit, Pig,
Cat, Dog) and 23 rows that have either yes or no in each cell - mainly no's.
If there is a 'yes' in Bird then there should be 'no' in each of the other 6
columns (Cow, Horse, Rabbit, Pig, Cat, Dog).  Basically, if there is a 'yes'
in Bird then they have identified themselves as 'Bird' rather than any other
animal.

I then have 10 more columns (named ans1, ans2, ans3, etc) that each have

Essentially, I want to know how many Birds have chosen "A" as an answer in
'ans1'.  I currently have a formula that can calculate how many 'yeses' in
the 'Bird' column have "A" in the 'ans1' column that goes as follows:
=SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$23="Yes")*($H$2:$H$23="A"))

I currently use several variations of this formula to create a matrix that
shows how many "A", "B", "C", "D", "E" answers for each of the 7 animal
columns (basically determine how many birds chose each answer, how many cows
chose each answer, etc, etc).

Unfortunately, some animals seem to have a bit of a misunderstanding about
their parentage and think that they are both Birds AND Horses or Cows,
Rabbits AND Dogs or else consider themselves to be Whales and don't fit into
any category offered.  Unfortunately this causes a bit of trouble with my
forumla as it now counts the mixed parentage animals as two or three separate

I'd like to have a formula that recognizes only the first 'yes'.  I.e. if an
animal has answered 'yes' to being a Cow, Rabbit AND Dog then the formula
will only count the 'ans1' response for the Cow 'yes' but not the Rabbit
'yes' or the Dog 'yes'.  In this scenario my current formula counts that one
response as three separate ones: one for Cow, one for Rabbit and one for Dog.

Appreciate any help that is offered and hope I've been clear!!!

Best,
Ann
0
moily (55)
12/14/2007 11:11:02 AM
excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

How about a different tack.

Instead of trying to outsort it in the counting, use conditional formatting
to spot those that are mixed/no parentage.

For instance, select A2:G23 and add a CF formula of

=COUNTIF($A2:$G2,"Yes")>1

and

=COUNTIF($A2:$G2,"Yes")=0

--
HTH

Bob

"Moily" <Moily@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I have a spreadsheet with 7 columns (named Bird, Cow, Horse, Rabbit, Pig,
> Cat, Dog) and 23 rows that have either yes or no in each cell - mainly
> no's.
> If there is a 'yes' in Bird then there should be 'no' in each of the other
> 6
> columns (Cow, Horse, Rabbit, Pig, Cat, Dog).  Basically, if there is a
> 'yes'
> in Bird then they have identified themselves as 'Bird' rather than any
> other
> animal.
>
> I then have 10 more columns (named ans1, ans2, ans3, etc) that each have
>
> Essentially, I want to know how many Birds have chosen "A" as an answer in
> 'ans1'.  I currently have a formula that can calculate how many 'yeses' in
> the 'Bird' column have "A" in the 'ans1' column that goes as follows:
> =SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$23="Yes")*($H$2:$H$23="A"))
>
> I currently use several variations of this formula to create a matrix that
> shows how many "A", "B", "C", "D", "E" answers for each of the 7 animal
> columns (basically determine how many birds chose each answer, how many
> cows
> chose each answer, etc, etc).
>
> Unfortunately, some animals seem to have a bit of a misunderstanding about
> their parentage and think that they are both Birds AND Horses or Cows,
> Rabbits AND Dogs or else consider themselves to be Whales and don't fit
> into
> any category offered.  Unfortunately this causes a bit of trouble with my
> forumla as it now counts the mixed parentage animals as two or three
> separate
> row.
>
> I'd like to have a formula that recognizes only the first 'yes'.  I.e. if
> an
> animal has answered 'yes' to being a Cow, Rabbit AND Dog then the formula
> will only count the 'ans1' response for the Cow 'yes' but not the Rabbit
> 'yes' or the Dog 'yes'.  In this scenario my current formula counts that
> one
> response as three separate ones: one for Cow, one for Rabbit and one for
> Dog.
>
> Appreciate any help that is offered and hope I've been clear!!!
>
> Best,
> Ann

0
bob.NGs1 (1661)
12/14/2007 12:04:22 PM
Thank you for your suggestion! It's a good idea but - if I understand your
suggestion correctly - it would only work if I'm working with a limited
amount of data as I would have to do a visual inspection.

Unfortunately, i'm working with about 450 respondants who were each asked 20
questions.  This number may even increase next time so it'd be good to have
an intuitive formula.

0
moily (55)
12/14/2007 3:52:05 PM
Intuitive?

--

> [...]
>> > my
>> > forumla as it now counts the mixed parentage animals as two or three
>> > separate
>> > row.
>> >
>> > I'd like to have a formula that recognizes only the first 'yes'.  I.e.
>> > if
>> > an
>> > animal has answered 'yes' to being a Cow, Rabbit AND Dog then the
>> > formula
>> > will only count the 'ans1' response for the Cow 'yes' but not the
>> > Rabbit
>> > 'yes' or the Dog 'yes'.  In this scenario my current formula counts
>> > that
>> > one
>> > response as three separate ones: one for Cow, one for Rabbit and one
>> > for
>> > Dog.
>> >
>> > Appreciate any help that is offered and hope I've been clear!!!

0
bob.NGs1 (1661)
12/15/2007 1:13:44 PM
I mean a set of formulas that can determine the results for me.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> Intuitive?
>
> --
> HTH
>
> Bob
>
> (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy)
>
> "Moily" <Moily@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you for your suggestion! It's a good idea but - if I understand your
> > suggestion correctly - it would only work if I'm working with a limited
> > amount of data as I would have to do a visual inspection.
> >
> > Unfortunately, i'm working with about 450 respondants who were each asked
> > 20
> > questions.  This number may even increase next time so it'd be good to
> > have
> > an intuitive formula.
> >

> > "Bob Phillips" wrote:
> >
> >> How about a different tack.
> >>
> >> Instead of trying to outsort it in the counting, use conditional
> >> formatting
> >> to spot those that are mixed/no parentage.
> >>
> >> For instance, select A2:G23 and add a CF formula of
> >>
> >> =COUNTIF($A2:$G2,"Yes")>1
> >>
> >> and
> >>
> >> =COUNTIF($A2:$G2,"Yes")=0
> >>
> >> --
> >> HTH
> >>
> >> Bob
> >>
> >> (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my
> >> addy)
> >>
> >> "Moily" <Moily@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
moily (55)

sumifs help

hide formula in cells till data is available for calc
I recall being able to copy a formula in a column and hiding it until data becomes available to complete the calculation. This way you don't have a series of #value# in the work sheet. The formula contains an absolute reference as well. Thanks, Kiwi A look at your formula would have been nice. =IF(cellref="","",do something) traps for cellref having no data. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 15:02:01 -0700, kiwi <kiwi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I recall being able to copy a formula in a column and hiding it u...

Help !

Help with this thing

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

exch 5.5 help

1 email account, 2 mail address, 2 computers, Outlook 2000
Hi I have 1 email account, with is shared between me and my girlfreind, we each have our own email address, but all our mails go in to one joint inbox, using something called Email Alias, that our ISP use. The problem is that we get each others mails, and we would like to setup a rule so that the mails not intented for the person that recives them is automaticly deleted in his/her outlook and is left on the server so the other can get it when checking their mail. I have been looking for guides to do this for a while and have been able to find a few for Outlook 2002 and 2003, but none for th...

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

Need help in data copying.

help...help...help

Macro Help

#REF #2
I am using Excell 2002 at the office. I have a problem viewing a spreadsheet that a coworker sent me, which she prepared in Excell 2000. Some of the cells display #REF, instead of the formula value. Any ideas on how to resolve this would beappreciated. Thanks. Barry You may be missing an add-in such as the Analysis ToolPak Navigate: Tools,Addin "Barry" wrote: > I am using Excell 2002 at the office. I have a problem viewing a spreadsheet > that a coworker sent me, which she prepared in Excell 2000. Some of the > cells display #REF, instead of the formula valu...

Reg hiding such parameters in the properties of the mail #2
hi , I am using the outlook 2003 client for sending the email. when it reaches the destination end, the destined user is easily identifying the parameters like, from where the mail is coming like, public ip, machine name, and local ip address of the system which the mail is originated.. so i do not want to publisize such parameters to the outside world.. so how would i adjust the oulook such a way it should not take such parameters while sending the emails. i shal be thankfull if u help me on this! thanks in advance rizwan <rizwan_mk@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:#8ikqBqv...

help me #2

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

CString help

Your Help is Appreciated

Sort Macro #2
I recorded this macro to sort a list according to a custom list. The problem I have is that it does not sort on another users Excel because they don't have the same customs list. Is there a way round this problem? Sub Macro1() Columns("N:N").Select Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("N1"), Order1:=xlDescending, Header:=xlGuess, _ OrderCustom:=12, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, _ DataOption1:=xlSortNormal End Sub Hi! Application.AddCustomList ListArray:=Range("A1:A10") will add a custo list to a workbook using a range y...

bcc help

Rules Wizard Help

More help with formula
I need 2 formulas for the following: Problem 1: Columns "c" thru "g" contain numbers from 1 thru 100. If th numbers is those columns are 50 or less then I the sum to go in on column; then the sum of numbers between 51 to 100 to go into anothe column. Problem 2: Columns "c" thru "g" contain numbers from 1 thru 100. If th individual number 1-100 is used (3 times, 4 times, 5 times, etc.) tota the I need to show the number of times it was used in the columns. For example: If 1 is used 5 times in columns C thru G then the numbe is 5; the same with 2, th...

help help help IF function
i am new to excell and need help with a problem...... the problem is iam looking for a amount < = 3000.00 and iam to display in bold and in light green i have never had to deal with that i got as far as =IF<=3000 then iam lost or it that even right?? I'm far from a whiz at Excel but I'd use conditional formatting. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "kimmy" <kimmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ADC77884-FC87-47A3-90F2-D2AAF957F5D1@microsoft.com... >i a...