Help pasting Word table into Excel, please?

(Using Word and Excel XP)  I have a table in Word with no merged cells.  The
text in some cells, however, contain line or paragraph breaks.  When copied
and pasted into Excel, these cells are always formatted as merged, with a
new cell at each line or paragraph break.  Is there any way around this, so
a cell will copy as a single cell with the breaks in the text?

Ed

0
ed_millis (164)
4/10/2006 2:07:28 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I don't see how merged cells comes into play....

But saved from a previous post:

If your cells in your word table contain paragraph mark or linebreak characters,
then excel will bring them over as separate cells.

One way around it is to convert those paragraph marks & linebreaks to unique
characters, then copy|paste and then convert them back to linefeeds.

I like this technique (inside a copy of the word file):
Select your table.
Edit|replace|Special (show More if required)
Find what: (paragraph mark under Special button)
replace with:  $$$$$     (if $$$$$ doesn't appear in the table)
replace all

Same thing with Manual Line break (from under Special).

Now copy the table into Excel.

Edit|Replace
Replace what: $$$$$
Replace with: ctrl-j
replace all.

Don't forget to close the word document without saving (or hit undo as many
times as necessary).

--

Dave Peterson
0
Thanks for the tip, Dave.  I misused "merged cells".  Actually, as you said:
> If your cells in your word table contain paragraph mark or linebreak
> characters,
> then excel will bring them over as separate cells.
It's the cells to the left and right that belong on the same row that get
copied over as merged cells.

Ed

>I don't see how merged cells comes into play....
>
> But saved from a previous post:
>
> If your cells in your word table contain paragraph mark or linebreak
> characters,
> then excel will bring them over as separate cells.
>
> One way around it is to convert those paragraph marks & linebreaks to
> unique
> characters, then copy|paste and then convert them back to linefeeds.
>
> I like this technique (inside a copy of the word file):
> Select your table.
> Edit|replace|Special (show More if required)
> Find what: (paragraph mark under Special button)
> replace with:  $$$$$     (if $$$$$ doesn't appear in the table)
> replace all
>
> Same thing with Manual Line break (from under Special).
>
> Now copy the table into Excel.
>
> Edit|Replace
> Replace what: $$$$$
> Replace with: ctrl-j
> replace all.
>
> Don't forget to close the word document without saving (or hit undo as
> many
> times as necessary).
>
> Ed wrote:
>>
>> (Using Word and Excel XP)  I have a table in Word with no merged cells.
>> The
>> text in some cells, however, contain line or paragraph breaks.  When
>> copied
>> and pasted into Excel, these cells are always formatted as merged, with a
>> new cell at each line or paragraph break.  Is there any way around this,
>> so
>> a cell will copy as a single cell with the breaks in the text?
>>
>> Ed
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
ed_millis (164)
4/10/2006 4:21:18 PM
If I split a cell in MSWord (table|split cells), then I could have a problem on
the excel side.

But if I never used that feature in word, excel didn't merge any cells for me.

Maybe right clicking in excel and pasting as text will will help you avoid the
merged cells.

--

Dave Peterson
0
> Maybe right clicking in excel and pasting as text will help you avoid the
> merged cells.
If I use "Paste as Text" from Word to Excel, Excel ignores cells merged in
the Word table.

I think your original response will resolve my issue.  I'll probably put
that in a special macro to work around things.  I appreciate the boost.

Ed

> If I split a cell in MSWord (table|split cells), then I could have a
> problem on
> the excel side.
>
> But if I never used that feature in word, excel didn't merge any cells for
> me.
>
> Maybe right clicking in excel and pasting as text will will help you avoid
> the
> merged cells.
>
> Ed wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the tip, Dave.  I misused "merged cells".  Actually, as you
>> said:
>> > If your cells in your word table contain paragraph mark or linebreak
>> > characters,
>> > then excel will bring them over as separate cells.
>> It's the cells to the left and right that belong on the same row that get
>> copied over as merged cells.
>>
>> Ed
>>
>> "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message
>> >I don't see how merged cells comes into play....
>> >
>> > But saved from a previous post:
>> >
>> > If your cells in your word table contain paragraph mark or linebreak
>> > characters,
>> > then excel will bring them over as separate cells.
>> >
>> > One way around it is to convert those paragraph marks & linebreaks to
>> > unique
>> > characters, then copy|paste and then convert them back to linefeeds.
>> >
>> > I like this technique (inside a copy of the word file):
>> > Select your table.
>> > Edit|replace|Special (show More if required)
>> > Find what: (paragraph mark under Special button)
>> > replace with:  $$$$$     (if $$$$$ doesn't appear in the table)
>> > replace all
>> >
>> > Same thing with Manual Line break (from under Special).
>> >
>> > Now copy the table into Excel.
>> >
>> > Edit|Replace
>> > Replace what: $$$$$
>> > Replace with: ctrl-j
>> > replace all.
>> >
>> > Don't forget to close the word document without saving (or hit undo as
>> > many
>> > times as necessary).

>> > --
>> >
>> > Dave Peterson
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
ed_millis (164)
4/10/2006 6:01:21 PM
I've learned that splitting individual cells in an MSWord table is almost as bad
as merged cells in excel.

Maybe someone in the MSWord newsgroup will see your plight (if it is still a
plight <bg>) and offer a way around this.

--

Dave Peterson
0

sumifs help

Help !

Forms, tables, etc. open in separate windows, accessible from the MS Vista taskbar
Dear All How can I set Access 2007 up in order to have the windows (forms, tables, etc.) open in separate windows, accessible from the MS Vista taskbar? In short, I would like to have Access 2007 behaving likewise Access 2003, regarding opening windows. Thanks in advance, Paul Hi Paul, I don't believe this capability exists in Access 2007. You can have the objects open in separate windows within the object workspace by doing this: - Click the Office button - Click Access Options (bottom left corner) - Click Current Database category - Under the Application Options section for the r...

Excel 2007 Tables
Hi, I have turned a range of data into a Table, using the new "Insert Table" tool in Excel 2007. Great new feature!! The problem is, when I insert a new row (by tabbing from the last cell in the last row), the formatting for the cell in the first column does not get applied. All of the rest of the cells in that row maintain the formatting from the row above. All of the cells in the first column above the new row have the same formatting - there is no mixing (bold and italics, for example). Any suggestions on why this would be happening? Thanks! Hi Tammy I love to see yo...

Help with this thing

Excel Macro to delete rows
Hello, I have an excel Sheet in which I have a blank row below the cell which contains "<<<Mem>>>". I vave some random data and multiple such cells. Can I get some help with the excel macros for the same? Harsh Assuming "Mem" is in column E: Sub DeleteRowBelowMem() For i=cells(rows.count,5).end(xlup).row to 1 step -1 if cells(i,5).value="Mem" then rows(i+1).Delete Next End Sub Bob Umlas Excel MVP HTH "Harsh" <cooldreamz83@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1159983014.172239.234480@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... ...

Excel chart to Access report
Apologies if this isn't the right forum, but I'm clutching at straws here.... I have a chart which must be created in Excel because the Access chart interface does not (to my knowledge) permit custom error bars. The problem is that I want then to include the graph in an Access report. I can see how, via automation, I can address the chart from code in the Access report. I just don't know how to actually include it, if you get my meaning. I thought placing an unbound OLE object control in the report would be a good start, but I don't seem to be able to move the chart data into...

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

Problem copying table data as a picture onto chartsheet
I'm having a strange problem. I'm creating a special chart which has a pie chart on it as well as some tabular data that is formatted the way we want it on a worksheet, then pasted onto the chartsheet as a picture. (The pie chart aspect is working fine. I'm just having a problem with the tabular data.) When I copy the tabular data manually by selecting the data on the worksheet, then going to the Home tab and choosing the Paste menu dropdown, then "As Picture", then "Copy as picture...". In the resulting dialog box, I choose "As shown on scr...

Access 2007 link table login
Hi I am migrating my Access 2003 to 2007. There a lot of link tables from Oracle in my mdb file. when my applicaiton running, I have to code to login Oracle: Dim wsp As Workspace Set wsp = DBEngine.CreateWorkspace("xxx", "xxx", "xxx", dbUseODBC) Set dbs = OpenDatabase("", False, True, strConnect) ' connect via regular ODBC 'Close the database. The login is still cached so that it is available for any 'Access object that needs it during the same session. dbs.Close This code works great in 2003 but not in 2...

exch 5.5 help

How do I make one word have small caps?
Suppose I have a word named WORDED, and I want the "ORDED" part to become slightly smaller. I want it like "ORDED with smaller caps" and not like this "orded". I tried going selecting "ORDED and changing the font to small caps", but nothing really happened. How do i fix this? The usual way would be to type Worded (with an initial cap), and then format the whole word as Small caps. If the difference isn't sufficient, you could always type the word in all caps and format the W as 12 points and the ORDED as something significantly smaller...

Suppress pivot table lines
I'm creating a budget pivot table. Its' source is a worksheet in the same workbook that is linked to individual department budget workbooks. A general budget template was used for all departments and many of the accounts have a zero value in the amount column. The pivot table picks up all the accounts, including the ones with zero values. Is there any way to suppress these lines without actually deleting the linked rows? I'd like to keep the pivot table's workbook flexible and generic but it prints an excessive amount of rows with no numeric values. Thanks, TomD The f...

How do I create a table with data selected via a pass through que.
I see the data using a pass thru select query but when I try to use the query in a separate make tabel query, I get an error message. Has anyone done this before? Thx. On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 14:33:00 -0800, kandamj <kandamj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I see the data using a pass thru select query but when I try to use the query >in a separate make tabel query, I get an error message. Has anyone done this >before? Thx. You may want to try saving the passthrough query, and base a new MakeTable query on that saved query. The passthrough query runs on the host, and ha...

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

Excel charts and Word docs
In Office 2003, how do I import an excel table into a word doc? In Ms Word go to Insert - Object - Create from File and select the xls file that contains your table. "Frustrated" wrote: > In Office 2003, how do I import an excel table into a word doc? Copy the range in Excel, switch to Word, and paste. Word puts the Excel data into a Word table. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ "Frustrated" <Frustrated@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:90F...

Excel Needs to Close
Frequently, when turning on my computer, I will get the message something like "Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close." I may not have used Excel for days and it definitely was not open when the computer was turned off. Any clues? Do I have a problem? Ed, Look for an Excel file, or Excel itself, in your Startup folder (Start - All programs). Scan for viruses. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com Note: Top-posting has been the norm here. Some folks prefer bottom-posting. But if you bottom-post to a reply that's already top-posted, the thr...

help...help...help

Need help in data copying.

Macro Help

help me #2