help moving from Excel 2000 to 2007

Does anyone have any ideas or resources to help an individual getting used
to using Excel 2007 after using Excel 2000 for years and love love loving
it?

Today, after about 30 minutes of trying to find where to go to add option
buttons or checkboxes (checking every menu, oh sorry, "ribbon"; typing term
after term into the "Help" and getting no results that were actually
helpful; doing a quick google search; checking every "ribbon" again), I
started to type up a question to this newsgroup, but then decided to check
Help one last time. (I wasn't sure if I was using the "offline" or "online"
help. Why are there two types now, I ask you? Why?!?) After a few more
unsuccessful results, I did finally find my answer. Radio buttons are on the
"Developer" tab of course, which is not shown unless you dig around in the
Excel Options and turn it on.

Sorry, enough sarcastic ranting. I'd REALLY appreciate any tips on learning
the "beauties" of Office 2007 so that I don't tear my hair out every time I
sit down to create a spreadsheet (or a Word document for that matter)
because I can't find anything. Or because what used to take two clicks now
takes 27. Oh, what i wouldn't give for a nice little chart: this is how you
used to do it, this is how it's done now.

Thanks for any help!
Karin

0
karin1 (2)
4/14/2008 1:48:55 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

It seems to be a Microsoft trait.
I use Office 2003 which I'm very comfortable with. I've used 2007 on my
son's laptop and it seems that everything does more or less the same thing
(with some useful new bit's admittedly), but it's called a different name
and it's in a different place.
I was forced to buy a new computer with Vista on it when my old one with XP
went bang. Same thing, prettier, not greatly different, but everything's in
a different place and given a new name.
Give it about six months and I'm sure you'll love it.
Good Luck!
Alan.
"Karin S" <karin@charterinternet.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone have any ideas or resources to help an individual getting used
> to using Excel 2007 after using Excel 2000 for years and love love loving
> it?
>
> Today, after about 30 minutes of trying to find where to go to add option
> buttons or checkboxes (checking every menu, oh sorry, "ribbon"; typing
> term after term into the "Help" and getting no results that were actually
> helpful; doing a quick google search; checking every "ribbon" again), I
> started to type up a question to this newsgroup, but then decided to check
> Help one last time. (I wasn't sure if I was using the "offline" or
> "online" help. Why are there two types now, I ask you? Why?!?) After a few
> more unsuccessful results, I did finally find my answer. Radio buttons are
> on the "Developer" tab of course, which is not shown unless you dig around
> in the Excel Options and turn it on.
>
> Sorry, enough sarcastic ranting. I'd REALLY appreciate any tips on
> learning the "beauties" of Office 2007 so that I don't tear my hair out
> every time I sit down to create a spreadsheet (or a Word document for that
> matter) because I can't find anything. Or because what used to take two
> clicks now takes 27. Oh, what i wouldn't give for a nice little chart:
> this is how you used to do it, this is how it's done now.
>
> Thanks for any help!
> Karin

0
alan111 (581)
4/14/2008 2:37:39 AM
Look here for a cross reference for Excel 2003 - 2007
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=89718ABD-2758-47B3-9F90-93788112B985&displaylang=en
Look here for a cross reference for Word 2003 - 2007
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9044790b-4e24-4277-b714-66d7b18d0aa1&DisplayLang=en
Look here for a cross reference for PowerPoint 2003-2007
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=bef41dc3-8e28-4282-82d4-cec2f416cd40&DisplayLang=en
Look here for a cross reference for Outlook 2003-2007
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=CC37CC1E-028D-4D30-9093-96CC6513ECA1&displaylang=en

Tyro

"Karin S" <karin@charterinternet.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone have any ideas or resources to help an individual getting used
> to using Excel 2007 after using Excel 2000 for years and love love loving
> it?
>
> Today, after about 30 minutes of trying to find where to go to add option
> buttons or checkboxes (checking every menu, oh sorry, "ribbon"; typing
> term after term into the "Help" and getting no results that were actually
> helpful; doing a quick google search; checking every "ribbon" again), I
> started to type up a question to this newsgroup, but then decided to check
> Help one last time. (I wasn't sure if I was using the "offline" or
> "online" help. Why are there two types now, I ask you? Why?!?) After a few
> more unsuccessful results, I did finally find my answer. Radio buttons are
> on the "Developer" tab of course, which is not shown unless you dig around
> in the Excel Options and turn it on.
>
> Sorry, enough sarcastic ranting. I'd REALLY appreciate any tips on
> learning the "beauties" of Office 2007 so that I don't tear my hair out
> every time I sit down to create a spreadsheet (or a Word document for that
> matter) because I can't find anything. Or because what used to take two
> clicks now takes 27. Oh, what i wouldn't give for a nice little chart:
> this is how you used to do it, this is how it's done now.
>
> Thanks for any help!
> Karin

0
Tyro (331)
4/14/2008 2:39:30 AM
1) Office button | Excel Options (at the bottom)
2) Options dialog: Popular; third item dow; check Show Developer tab On Ribbon
3) Back to Excel; open Developer tab
4) In Control group (second from left) use Insert
5) Insert the old Forma control of the newer ActiveX control

Best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme MVP
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Karin S" wrote:

> Does anyone have any ideas or resources to help an individual getting used
> to using Excel 2007 after using Excel 2000 for years and love love loving
> it?
>
> Today, after about 30 minutes of trying to find where to go to add option
> buttons or checkboxes (checking every menu, oh sorry, "ribbon"; typing term
> after term into the "Help" and getting no results that were actually
> helpful; doing a quick google search; checking every "ribbon" again), I
> started to type up a question to this newsgroup, but then decided to check
> Help one last time. (I wasn't sure if I was using the "offline" or "online"
> help. Why are there two types now, I ask you? Why?!?) After a few more
> unsuccessful results, I did finally find my answer. Radio buttons are on the
> "Developer" tab of course, which is not shown unless you dig around in the
> Excel Options and turn it on.
>
> Sorry, enough sarcastic ranting. I'd REALLY appreciate any tips on learning
> the "beauties" of Office 2007 so that I don't tear my hair out every time I
> sit down to create a spreadsheet (or a Word document for that matter)
> because I can't find anything. Or because what used to take two clicks now
> takes 27. Oh, what i wouldn't give for a nice little chart: this is how you
> used to do it, this is how it's done now.
>
> Thanks for any help!
> Karin

Thanks, everyone! Tyro, those links are great!

"Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@TRUENORTH.stfx.ca> wrote in message
> 1) Office button | Excel Options (at the bottom)
> 2) Options dialog: Popular; third item dow; check Show Developer tab On
> Ribbon
> 3) Back to Excel; open Developer tab
> 4) In Control group (second from left) use Insert
> 5) Insert the old Forma control of the newer ActiveX control
>
> Best wishes
> --
> Bernard Liengme MVP
> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
>

> "Karin S" wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any ideas or resources to help an individual getting
>> used
>> to using Excel 2007 after using Excel 2000 for years and love love loving
>> it?
>>
>> Today, after about 30 minutes of trying to find where to go to add option
>> buttons or checkboxes (checking every menu, oh sorry, "ribbon"; typing
>> term
>> after term into the "Help" and getting no results that were actually
>> helpful; doing a quick google search; checking every "ribbon" again), I
>> started to type up a question to this newsgroup, but then decided to
>> check
>> Help one last time. (I wasn't sure if I was using the "offline" or
>> "online"
>> help. Why are there two types now, I ask you? Why?!?) After a few more
>> unsuccessful results, I did finally find my answer. Radio buttons are on
>> the
>> "Developer" tab of course, which is not shown unless you dig around in
>> the
>> Excel Options and turn it on.
>>
>> Sorry, enough sarcastic ranting. I'd REALLY appreciate any tips on
>> learning
>> the "beauties" of Office 2007 so that I don't tear my hair out every time
>> sit down to create a spreadsheet (or a Word document for that matter)
>> because I can't find anything. Or because what used to take two clicks
>> now
>> takes 27. Oh, what i wouldn't give for a nice little chart: this is how
>> you
>> used to do it, this is how it's done now.
>>
>> Thanks for any help!
>> Karin

0
karin1 (2)
4/14/2008 1:05:35 PM
In 2007, everything you need is in one of three places. 1) on the ribbon 2)
in a dialog box that is launched from the ribbon by clicking the little box
with the right-downward pointing arrow which is to the extreme right of the
title of a ribbon group or 3) in the options which is found in the Office
Button, options.
You'll find that using the ribbon is easier than the old style menus. Once
you're used to the ribbon, you can  hide the ribbon;  press Ctrl+F1, press
again to bring it back or double click a ribbon tab and double click to
bring it back. Once hidden, single click a ribbon tab to display and use the
ribbon for that tab.

Tyro

> Thanks, everyone! Tyro, those links are great!
>

> "Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@TRUENORTH.stfx.ca> wrote in message
>> 1) Office button | Excel Options (at the bottom)
>> 2) Options dialog: Popular; third item dow; check Show Developer tab On
>> Ribbon
>> 3) Back to Excel; open Developer tab
>> 4) In Control group (second from left) use Insert
>> 5) Insert the old Forma control of the newer ActiveX control
>>
>> Best wishes
>> --
>> Bernard Liengme MVP
>> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
>>

>> "Karin S" wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone have any ideas or resources to help an individual getting
>>> used
>>> to using Excel 2007 after using Excel 2000 for years and love love
>>> loving
>>> it?
>>>
>>> Today, after about 30 minutes of trying to find where to go to add
>>> option
>>> buttons or checkboxes (checking every menu, oh sorry, "ribbon"; typing
>>> term
>>> after term into the "Help" and getting no results that were actually
>>> helpful; doing a quick google search; checking every "ribbon" again), I
>>> started to type up a question to this newsgroup, but then decided to
>>> check
>>> Help one last time. (I wasn't sure if I was using the "offline" or
>>> "online"
>>> help. Why are there two types now, I ask you? Why?!?) After a few more
>>> unsuccessful results, I did finally find my answer. Radio buttons are on
>>> the
>>> "Developer" tab of course, which is not shown unless you dig around in
>>> the
>>> Excel Options and turn it on.
>>>
>>> Sorry, enough sarcastic ranting. I'd REALLY appreciate any tips on
>>> learning
>>> the "beauties" of Office 2007 so that I don't tear my hair out every
>>> time I
>>> sit down to create a spreadsheet (or a Word document for that matter)
>>> because I can't find anything. Or because what used to take two clicks
>>> now
>>> takes 27. Oh, what i wouldn't give for a nice little chart: this is how
>>> you
>>> used to do it, this is how it's done now.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help!
>>> Karin

0
Tyro (331)
4/14/2008 3:38:04 PM
I should have also pointed out:

To use the command references, select the command you want in 2003. The
program will tell you where the commandis in 2007
 and if you click, it will show you where the command is on the 2007 ribbon;
click again to selectanother 2003 command.

Tyro

"Karin S" <karin@charterinternet.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, everyone! Tyro, those links are great!
>

> "Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@TRUENORTH.stfx.ca> wrote in message
>> 1) Office button | Excel Options (at the bottom)
>> 2) Options dialog: Popular; third item dow; check Show Developer tab On
>> Ribbon
>> 3) Back to Excel; open Developer tab
>> 4) In Control group (second from left) use Insert
>> 5) Insert the old Forma control of the newer ActiveX control
>>
>> Best wishes
>> --
>> Bernard Liengme MVP
>> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
>>

>> "Karin S" wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone have any ideas or resources to help an individual getting
>>> used
>>> to using Excel 2007 after using Excel 2000 for years and love love
>>> loving
>>> it?
>>>
>>> Today, after about 30 minutes of trying to find where to go to add
>>> option
>>> buttons or checkboxes (checking every menu, oh sorry, "ribbon"; typing
>>> term
>>> after term into the "Help" and getting no results that were actually
>>> helpful; doing a quick google search; checking every "ribbon" again), I
>>> started to type up a question to this newsgroup, but then decided to
>>> check
>>> Help one last time. (I wasn't sure if I was using the "offline" or
>>> "online"
>>> help. Why are there two types now, I ask you? Why?!?) After a few more
>>> unsuccessful results, I did finally find my answer. Radio buttons are on
>>> the
>>> "Developer" tab of course, which is not shown unless you dig around in
>>> the
>>> Excel Options and turn it on.
>>>
>>> Sorry, enough sarcastic ranting. I'd REALLY appreciate any tips on
>>> learning
>>> the "beauties" of Office 2007 so that I don't tear my hair out every
>>> time I
>>> sit down to create a spreadsheet (or a Word document for that matter)
>>> because I can't find anything. Or because what used to take two clicks
>>> now
>>> takes 27. Oh, what i wouldn't give for a nice little chart: this is how
>>> you
>>> used to do it, this is how it's done now.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help!
>>> Karin

0
Tyro (331)
4/14/2008 4:02:37 PM
I should have also pointed out:

To use the command references, select the command you want in 2003. The
program will tell you where the command is in 2007
and if you click, it will show you where the command is on the 2007 ribbon;
click again to select another 2003 command.

Tyro

"Karin S" <karin@charterinternet.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, everyone! Tyro, those links are great!
>

> "Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@TRUENORTH.stfx.ca> wrote in message
>> 1) Office button | Excel Options (at the bottom)
>> 2) Options dialog: Popular; third item dow; check Show Developer tab On
>> Ribbon
>> 3) Back to Excel; open Developer tab
>> 4) In Control group (second from left) use Insert
>> 5) Insert the old Forma control of the newer ActiveX control
>>
>> Best wishes
>> --
>> Bernard Liengme MVP
>> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
>>

>> "Karin S" wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone have any ideas or resources to help an individual getting
>>> used
>>> to using Excel 2007 after using Excel 2000 for years and love love
>>> loving
>>> it?
>>>
>>> Today, after about 30 minutes of trying to find where to go to add
>>> option
>>> buttons or checkboxes (checking every menu, oh sorry, "ribbon"; typing
>>> term
>>> after term into the "Help" and getting no results that were actually
>>> helpful; doing a quick google search; checking every "ribbon" again), I
>>> started to type up a question to this newsgroup, but then decided to
>>> check
>>> Help one last time. (I wasn't sure if I was using the "offline" or
>>> "online"
>>> help. Why are there two types now, I ask you? Why?!?) After a few more
>>> unsuccessful results, I did finally find my answer. Radio buttons are on
>>> the
>>> "Developer" tab of course, which is not shown unless you dig around in
>>> the
>>> Excel Options and turn it on.
>>>
>>> Sorry, enough sarcastic ranting. I'd REALLY appreciate any tips on
>>> learning
>>> the "beauties" of Office 2007 so that I don't tear my hair out every
>>> time I
>>> sit down to create a spreadsheet (or a Word document for that matter)
>>> because I can't find anything. Or because what used to take two clicks
>>> now
>>> takes 27. Oh, what i wouldn't give for a nice little chart: this is how
>>> you
>>> used to do it, this is how it's done now.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help!
>>> Karin

0
Tyro (331)

Unable to install dpm 2007 sp1 agent to Server 2008R2
I am unable to do an install of the dpm agent to server 2008R2, from DPM Manager I get errors, manual install seems to work, but dpm server is unable to communicate, the is the AgentBootstapperCurr.errlog: PS. I first installed the updated version from 1038 directory, then uninstalled and installed the original SP1 one: 0D28 0A10 04/03 11:39:58.204 14 main.cpp(1801) Failed: F: lVal : (HANDLE)(schService = OpenServiceW( schSCManager, strServiceName.PeekStr(), (0x00010000L) | 0x0020 | 0x0004)): 0x80070424 0D28 0A10 04/03 11:39:58.204 14 main.cpp(1839) DeleteServiceByName for...

sumifs help

Excel sorting #3
Is there a way to sort data by absolute value? I have a list of numbers, both negative and positive and I would like the list to have the highest positive and negative numbers at the top (e.g. -10,000 and +10,000 and the lowest numbers to be at the bottom(e.g -1 & 1). ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Blue, In an empty column, place the formula =ABS(A1) then fill down as far as you need to go. Then sort on this column. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson M...

Help !

Excel 2007 Tables
Hi, I have turned a range of data into a Table, using the new "Insert Table" tool in Excel 2007. Great new feature!! The problem is, when I insert a new row (by tabbing from the last cell in the last row), the formatting for the cell in the first column does not get applied. All of the rest of the cells in that row maintain the formatting from the row above. All of the cells in the first column above the new row have the same formatting - there is no mixing (bold and italics, for example). Any suggestions on why this would be happening? Thanks! Hi Tammy I love to see yo...

Moving CRM server 08-09-07
We are shifting a portion of our office to a new location. This includes moving the CRM server as well. The new location is on a different subnet. My question is will there be any impact of the move on the CRM? Please note that the CRM server IP Address will change. The CRM Server has the CRM and SQL server installed. Btw, we have not upgraded to CRM 3.0 and are still on 1.2 at this point. Thanks I don't think it will affect you, as long as update the IP address correctly on your server and your users can access the server. Also you have SQL and CRM in the same box. You should be go...

Help with this thing

Excel Macro to delete rows
Hello, I have an excel Sheet in which I have a blank row below the cell which contains "<<<Mem>>>". I vave some random data and multiple such cells. Can I get some help with the excel macros for the same? Harsh Assuming "Mem" is in column E: Sub DeleteRowBelowMem() For i=cells(rows.count,5).end(xlup).row to 1 step -1 if cells(i,5).value="Mem" then rows(i+1).Delete Next End Sub Bob Umlas Excel MVP HTH "Harsh" <cooldreamz83@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1159983014.172239.234480@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... ...

Excel chart to Access report
Apologies if this isn't the right forum, but I'm clutching at straws here.... I have a chart which must be created in Excel because the Access chart interface does not (to my knowledge) permit custom error bars. The problem is that I want then to include the graph in an Access report. I can see how, via automation, I can address the chart from code in the Access report. I just don't know how to actually include it, if you get my meaning. I thought placing an unbound OLE object control in the report would be a good start, but I don't seem to be able to move the chart data into...

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

Powerpoint viewer 2007 on windows embedded standard 2009
I had trying to install powerpoint viewer 2007 to my windows embedded system, but it cannot open pptx file and get an error message "This file requires the Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system to view its contents". After i installed fileformatconverter.exe i get another error message "The converter failed to save the file". The powerpoint viewer does run 2003 ver file only for 2007 ver having this problem. ...

Moving Row Data to Column/Row Groups
First off...great forum with super smart participants. Hopefully, I ca tap into some of this brain power!! :) I have received an Excel emai spreadsheet containing hundreds of names and corresponding emai addresses. Problem is the data runs on one line from A1 to GB1. Fo example, A1 B1 C1 D1 E1 F1, etc (name 1)(email 1)(name 2)(email 2)(name 3)(email 3) etc. I need to break the data to a two column format with the first colum containing the name and the second column containing the emai address...then dropping down to the next row and listing the next set then the next and so on. The good ne...

Access 2007 link table login
Hi I am migrating my Access 2003 to 2007. There a lot of link tables from Oracle in my mdb file. when my applicaiton running, I have to code to login Oracle: Dim wsp As Workspace Set wsp = DBEngine.CreateWorkspace("xxx", "xxx", "xxx", dbUseODBC) Set dbs = OpenDatabase("", False, True, strConnect) ' connect via regular ODBC 'Close the database. The login is still cached so that it is available for any 'Access object that needs it during the same session. dbs.Close This code works great in 2003 but not in 2...

exch 5.5 help

1 email account, 2 mail address, 2 computers, Outlook 2000
Hi I have 1 email account, with is shared between me and my girlfreind, we each have our own email address, but all our mails go in to one joint inbox, using something called Email Alias, that our ISP use. The problem is that we get each others mails, and we would like to setup a rule so that the mails not intented for the person that recives them is automaticly deleted in his/her outlook and is left on the server so the other can get it when checking their mail. I have been looking for guides to do this for a while and have been able to find a few for Outlook 2002 and 2003, but none for th...

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

Excel Needs to Close
Frequently, when turning on my computer, I will get the message something like "Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close." I may not have used Excel for days and it definitely was not open when the computer was turned off. Any clues? Do I have a problem? Ed, Look for an Excel file, or Excel itself, in your Startup folder (Start - All programs). Scan for viruses. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com Note: Top-posting has been the norm here. Some folks prefer bottom-posting. But if you bottom-post to a reply that's already top-posted, the thr...

Excel charts and Word docs
In Office 2003, how do I import an excel table into a word doc? In Ms Word go to Insert - Object - Create from File and select the xls file that contains your table. "Frustrated" wrote: > In Office 2003, how do I import an excel table into a word doc? Copy the range in Excel, switch to Word, and paste. Word puts the Excel data into a Word table. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ "Frustrated" <Frustrated@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:90F...

help...help...help

Need help in data copying.

Macro Help

help me #2

Excel #67
Where in Microsoft can I download and Excel update called SR1 or SR2. I need this for a QuickBooks Payroll link. What version of Excel do you have? http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5c011c70-47d0-4306-9fa4-8e92d36332fe&displaylang=en or http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=85af7bfd-6f69-4289-8bd1-eb966bcdfb5e&displaylang=en the former 2000, the latter 2002 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) "KJ" <blueeyes1484@hotmail.com> wrote...