Help getting SheetName into a cell

I need to refer to the sheet name in a formula and can't figure out how to do it.
I can't find a Function which will do this.  I did discover ActiveSheet.Name but
I have been unsuccessful in getting it work in a function.

Specifically I have sheets named "1.a" , "1.b" , "1.c" . . . "99.a" , "99.b" , "99.c"
and need to get these names into cell C3 of each sheet.   The sheets may not be
in order and there may be missing sheets.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Omar

0
occupant (7)
1/14/2004 9:38:50 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi

You could put somthing like this in a macro or attatch to a command button.

For i = 1 To Sheets.Count
Worksheets(i).Range("c3") = Worksheets(i).Name
Next i

HTH

Ken

0
KenMacksey (98)
1/14/2004 10:09:43 PM
Hi

you can use the following formula
=MID(CELL("filename";A1),FIND("]";CELL("filename",A1))+1;30)

Frank

0
frank.kabel (11126)
1/14/2004 10:45:10 PM
Thanks for the response Ken.

I neglected to mention that there are other sheets in the workbook
which I do not want to have the name in cell C3.  Also the variable
number of sheets with the "number.alpha" names makes indexing a
for-next loop kind of nasty.

I tried the following but it doesn't work right.
Function GetSheetName() As String
    GetSheetName = ActiveSheet.Name
End Function

Is there an object for the current sheet?

Omar

"Ken Macksey" <KenMacksey@tnt21.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> You could put somthing like this in a macro or attatch to a command button.
>
> For i = 1 To Sheets.Count
> Worksheets(i).Range("c3") = Worksheets(i).Name
> Next i
>
> HTH
>
> Ken

0
occupant (7)
1/14/2004 10:56:32 PM
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 21:38:50 GMT, "Occupant" <occupant@spamtrap.com> wrote:

>I need to refer to the sheet name in a formula and can't figure out how to do it.
>I can't find a Function which will do this.  I did discover ActiveSheet.Name but
>I have been unsuccessful in getting it work in a function.
>
>Specifically I have sheets named "1.a" , "1.b" , "1.c" . . . "99.a" , "99.b" , "99.c"
>and need to get these names into cell C3 of each sheet.   The sheets may not be
>in order and there may be missing sheets.
>
>Thanks in advance for any help.
>
>Omar

How about a VBA macro like:

==============================
Sub WSname()
Dim ws As Worksheet

    ws.Cells(3, 3).Value = ws.Name
Next ws

End Sub
===================

--ron
Hi

Frank's answer will work, but there are some typos - 2 types of delimiters
("," and ";") are mixed. Depending your Windows settings use
=MID(CELL("filename";A1);FIND("]";CELL("filename";A1))+1;30)
or
=MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,30)
to get the name of SAME sheet where the formula is placed.
To get the formula working for different sheet, modify it:
=MID(CELL("filename",SheetName!A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",SheetName!A1))+1
,30)
When the SheetName is chenged (you rename the sheet), the formula is
adjusting automatically

--
(When sending e-mail, use address arvil@tarkon.ee)
Arvi Laanemets

"Occupant" <occupant@spamtrap.com> wrote in message
> I need to refer to the sheet name in a formula and can't figure out how to
do it.
> I can't find a Function which will do this.  I did discover
ActiveSheet.Name but
> I have been unsuccessful in getting it work in a function.
>
> Specifically I have sheets named "1.a" , "1.b" , "1.c" . . . "99.a" ,
"99.b" , "99.c"
> and need to get these names into cell C3 of each sheet.   The sheets may
not be
> in order and there may be missing sheets.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Omar

0
garbage (650)
1/15/2004 7:00:40 AM
Hi Arvi

thanks for finding my typos :-). Different language versions in Excel
are really a pain!

Frank

0
frank.kabel (11126)
1/15/2004 9:04:49 AM
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:57:07 -0500, Ron Rosenfeld <ronrosenfeld@direcway.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 21:38:50 GMT, "Occupant" <occupant@spamtrap.com> wrote:
>
>>I need to refer to the sheet name in a formula and can't figure out how to do it.
>>I can't find a Function which will do this.  I did discover ActiveSheet.Name but
>>I have been unsuccessful in getting it work in a function.
>>
>>Specifically I have sheets named "1.a" , "1.b" , "1.c" . . . "99.a" , "99.b" , "99.c"
>>and need to get these names into cell C3 of each sheet.   The sheets may not be
>>in order and there may be missing sheets.
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any help.
>>
>>Omar
>>

>How about a VBA macro like:
>
>==============================
>Sub WSname()
>Dim ws As Worksheet
>
>For Each ws In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
>    ws.Cells(3, 3).Value = ws.Name
>Next ws
>
>End Sub
>===================
>

>--ron

Reading a subsequent post of yours, it seems there are only certain worksheets
for which you want the name in C3 of that sheet.

Knowing the rules, it should be trivial to add a test for the format into the
above loop.

--ron
Thanks to all those who responded.

I went with Frank's formula after modifying it for Excel97.

I couldn't get Ron's VB Sub to work.  It wouldn't accept
ws as a worksheet variable.

I almost got Ken's VB Sub working with the following:
For i = 1 To Sheets.Count
If Worksheets(i).Range("c2").Value = "Foo:Bar" Then
Worksheets(i).Range("c3").Value = "Worksheets(i).Name"
End If
Next i

This put the text string in the appropriate cells, but when I
removed the quotes it hung and I had to use the task manager
to close Excel.

Omar

0
occupant (7)

hide formula in cells till data is available for calc
I recall being able to copy a formula in a column and hiding it until data becomes available to complete the calculation. This way you don't have a series of #value# in the work sheet. The formula contains an absolute reference as well. Thanks, Kiwi A look at your formula would have been nice. =IF(cellref="","",do something) traps for cellref having no data. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 15:02:01 -0700, kiwi <kiwi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I recall being able to copy a formula in a column and hiding it u...

sumifs help

Help !

Help with this thing

how can I get a cell to change color by date to indicate expiery t
I'm trying to get the cell color to change from green to yellow to red as a date entered in the cell gets closer to that date plus 12 months or 36 months. ie some task was completed on 1 Jan 08 and will last for 24 months so I want the cell to read green if the date is still good turn yellow a month or 2 before it expires and turn red and clear the date if expired. So if the cell is empty it should show red. But I want to be able to update the date the task was completed ie it was completed again on the 15 Dec 10 before it expired so I want the countdown to expiration to restart f...

Need function to insert worksheet name into a cell of that worksheet.
I have found a formula on the web help site to automatically insert a worksheet name into a cell of the worksheet. I have several worksheets and wish to identify each worksheet automatically in a cell of each worksheet. When I use the formula it initially brings in the correct worksheet name. However when I select another worksheet the prior name appears in the selected cell. Perhaps I need to change something in my formula or this is a problem that I can't correct. What is your suggestion? The following formula is what I am using in each worksheet. =MID(CELL("fil...

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

exch 5.5 help

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

Need help in data copying.

help...help...help

Macro Help

help me #2

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

CString help

Your Help is Appreciated

bcc help

Picture behind cell contents
Is it possible in Excel XP to add a picture that'll appear behind the cell contents? If so, how do I do it? I tried just the regular Insert...Picture, but the picture always seems to appear above the cell contents, even if I use the Send To Back option. I also looked at inserting the file as a pattern in a cell (sorta like you'd do in PowerPoint), but Excel doesn't seem to allow you to do that that I could find. Am I just missing something, or is this just not possible in Excel? (Note, in case there's any confusion, I don't want a transparent portion to the imag...

Rules Wizard Help

help help help IF function
i am new to excell and need help with a problem...... the problem is iam looking for a amount < = 3000.00 and iam to display in bold and in light green i have never had to deal with that i got as far as =IF<=3000 then iam lost or it that even right?? I'm far from a whiz at Excel but I'd use conditional formatting. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "kimmy" <kimmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ADC77884-FC87-47A3-90F2-D2AAF957F5D1@microsoft.com... >i a...

Display cell value
can anyone help me out with the option to set the cell value as below EG;- 450.00 252.12 500.00 these are the values with decimal points 450.00 but in the formula bar i.e at fx it will be displayed as 450 without any decimal point. i want some option wherein the value in the cell and the formula bar to display as 450.00 only Begin the value with an apostrophe (single quote) -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201001 "User" wrote: > can anyone help me out with the option to set the cell value as below > EG;- 450.00 > 252.12 > ...

Excel 2003 hangs calculating cells from a Excel XP created Document
I have an excel document that was created in Excel XP, and it opens fine in Excel XP. When I try to open it in Excel 2003, it tries to go thru 'calculating cells'. It hangs at 5% on a mid range laptop and 25% on a high end desktop. Is there a fomula converter or something I cna run on the file to get it to open in Excel 2003? James Bates Excel 2002 and 2003 use the same file format so it's not an issue of converting formulas. Rather it would seem to be something it 2003's configuration. In your place I'd see what happens when the workbook is opened in a 'pure...