Help - Excel 97 Macro convert Text to Number

I have a monthly process where I bring a range of cells
into a spreadsheet (copy-paste) and I need the information
to be numbers but it is created (out of my control) as text

such as...
'1.23
'1.24
'1.25
and so on for about a hundred rows

It is really cumbersome to have to keep pressing F2 to edit,
home to get to the ' and then delete and enter to remove the
' mark and convert the text to a number

I used the Macro recorder (with relative value set) but it
picks up the absolute value of the first cell and then when I
run the macro it puts that value into each cell

What I want to do, but don't know how, is edit the macro so it
works on the current cell to go to the beginning of the cell
and remove the ' to make text into number, and then activate
the Enter key to go down to the next cell to be ready for me
to press Ctrl-t to run again (until the end of the data)

What I have from the macro recorder (plus my attempt to edit,
which does not work and stops with an error) is...

Sub Txt2Num()
'
' Txt2Num Macro
' Macro recorded 10/3/2005 by Mailroom
'
' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+t
' ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "1.23"
'
    ActiveCell = Value(ActiveCell)
End Sub

I **think** I need to do something with the Value command,
but it does not work

Could someone post the code to operate on the "activecell"
to go to the start of the cell and remove the ' so the text
entry will convert to numeric?

Thanks Much !!!

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
0
jtsmith (6)
10/3/2005 6:12:26 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

John,

Try this

Sub Txt2Num()
Dim i As Long

    For i = 1 To Cells(Rows.Count,"A").End(xlUp)
        Cells(i,"A").Value = Val(Cell(i,"A").Value)
    Next i
End Sub

HTH
Bob

"John Thomas Smith" <jtsmith@pacifier.com> wrote in message
>I have a monthly process where I bring a range of cells
> into a spreadsheet (copy-paste) and I need the information
> to be numbers but it is created (out of my control) as text
>
> such as...
> '1.23
> '1.24
> '1.25
> and so on for about a hundred rows
>
> It is really cumbersome to have to keep pressing F2 to edit,
> home to get to the ' and then delete and enter to remove the
> ' mark and convert the text to a number
>
> I used the Macro recorder (with relative value set) but it
> picks up the absolute value of the first cell and then when I
> run the macro it puts that value into each cell
>
> What I want to do, but don't know how, is edit the macro so it
> works on the current cell to go to the beginning of the cell
> and remove the ' to make text into number, and then activate
> the Enter key to go down to the next cell to be ready for me
> to press Ctrl-t to run again (until the end of the data)
>
> What I have from the macro recorder (plus my attempt to edit,
> which does not work and stops with an error) is...
>
> Sub Txt2Num()
> '
> ' Txt2Num Macro
> ' Macro recorded 10/3/2005 by Mailroom
> '
> ' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+t
> ' ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "1.23"
> '
>    ActiveCell = Value(ActiveCell)
>    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Range("A1").Select
> End Sub
>
> I **think** I need to do something with the Value command,
> but it does not work
>
> Could someone post the code to operate on the "activecell"
> to go to the start of the cell and remove the ' so the text
> entry will convert to numeric?
>
> Thanks Much !!!
>
> John Thomas Smith
> http://www.direct2usales.com
> http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 11:28:57 -0700, "Bob Phillips"
<bob.phillips@notheretiscali.ocm> wrote:

>Sub Txt2Num()
>Dim i As Long
>
>    For i = 1 To Cells(Rows.Count,"A").End(xlUp)
>        Cells(i,"A").Value = Val(Cell(i,"A").Value)
>    Next i
>End Sub

Stopped with an error on Cell, so (not knowing what I am
doing) I changed to...

>        Cells(i,"A").Value = Val(Cells(i,"A").Value)

That runs... but does not remove the ' at the start

I still wind up with '1.23 '1.24 '1.25 and so on in the
cells... did not remove the ' as I need

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
0
jtsmith (6)
10/3/2005 7:37:31 PM
There are instructions here for converting text numbers to real numbers,
either manually or programmatically:

   http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry03.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
10/3/2005 7:48:00 PM
John Thomas Smith wrote...
>I have a monthly process where I bring a range of cells
>into a spreadsheet (copy-paste) and I need the information
>to be numbers but it is created (out of my control) as text
>
>such as...
>'1.23
>'1.24
>'1.25
>and so on for about a hundred rows
>
>It is really cumbersome to have to keep pressing F2 to edit,
>home to get to the ' and then delete and enter to remove the
>' mark and convert the text to a number

You don't need a macro to do this if these are all in a single column.
Just select all cells in that column, issue the menu command Data >
Text to Columns and click on the Finish button.

>What I want to do, but don't know how, is edit the macro so it
>works on the current cell to go to the beginning of the cell
>and remove the ' to make text into number, and then activate
>the Enter key to go down to the next cell to be ready for me
>to press Ctrl-t to run again (until the end of the data)

If you must use a macro, try

Sub foo()
  Dim i As Long

  For i = 1 To Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
    With Cells(i, "A")
      If Not IsEmpty(.Value) And IsNumeric(.Value) Then _
       .Value = CDbl(.Value)
    End With
  Next i
End Sub

0
hrlngrv (1990)
10/3/2005 10:10:39 PM
On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 15:48:00 -0400, Debra Dalgleish
<dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote:
>There are instructions here for converting text numbers to real numbers,
>either manually or programmatically:
>   http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry03.html

Thanks DATA ==> TEXT TO COLUMNS did the job!

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
0
jtsmith (6)
10/4/2005 6:33:55 PM
On 3 Oct 2005 15:10:39 -0700, "Harlan Grove" <hrlngrv@aol.com> wrote:
>You don't need a macro to do this if these are all in a single column.
>Just select all cells in that column, issue the menu command Data >
>Text to Columns and click on the Finish button.

Thanks... works perfectly!

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
0
jtsmith (6)

sumifs help

Record auto numbering
I suppose I shouldn't be concerned, but my record autonumbering jumped from 135 to 432,233 when I was trying to copy and paste common info. Any way to reset? Access Rookie If the numbers don't have "meaning" nor need to be sequential, no problem. Actually if they needed to be sequential or have meaing, there would be a problem as autonumbers often aren't as you just found out. Still that is quite a jump. Copying and pasting can be a problem. It's better to import instead. You could empty the table, like exporting to Excel, then do a compact and ...

Help !

Help with this thing

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

Restart existing page numbers in each section
I have a document that I have broken into 8 sections. It's a quick reference guide. Each section describes a difference procedure. I already have the headers and footers set up the way I want them, but I would like to restart the page numbers at 1 in each section. The online help suggests using Insert | Page numbers, but that repalces my existing footers. How can I leave my footers as they but only restart the numbering? Can I automatically cause page numbering to restart at 1 in all sections, including ones I might add later? Insert | Page Numbers is one way to g...

Import data using macro
Hi, how do you use excel to import a text file using a macro to do the work for you? I start by creating a new workbook. Then turn on the macro recorder and open that text file. (Try not to make errors--it can make clean up troublesome.) Then format the worksheet (headers/footers/page layout/filters,freeze panes) exactly the way you want. When you're done, turn off the macro recorder. Close the imported file and back to your other workbook. Insert a giant button from the forms toolbar on the first worksheet (with instructions). Then save it. Now go into the vbe and start tweakin...

exch 5.5 help

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

Need help in data copying.

help...help...help

Macro Help

Suzanne's Page Number Scheme
I posted an issue several weeks ago and got a response from Suzanne re getting each odd page numbered sequentially as 1,2,3,4...... and not numbering the even pages. The field was {=({page}+1)/2} Next thing to try, how can I get a PageRef field to recognize the page number created from this scheme rather that the global (not sure if this is the correct term) page number, which includes the title page (it is not numbered). Basicall the third page is numbered 1, the fifth page is numbered 2, etc So if I insert a PageRef field in the thirteenth page and refer to the fifth page,...

help me #2

Program a macro to print
I have an employee expense report that contains employee information in the first five rows. The rows 6 through 30 are blank and for the employee to fill in (or add additional rows if necessary) with a list of their expenses. In rows 31 - 37, there is information that the employee acknowledges that the expenses listed in the rows are true and incurred on behalf of his/her job duties. I have a macro that automatically prints this worksheet. If the employee doesn't have enough expenses to fill all the rows between 6 and 30, I would like to create a routine in my macro...

fixed length within the counta and some text
hello! I would like to generate some incremental number if the cell on the right is not empty e.g. Order0001 Order0002 ..... Order0015 How I can do this with this formula ? How i can convert the output of counta to have 4 digits? =IF(D13<>"","Order"&COUNTA($D$4:D13)&"","") thanks, uma =IF(D13<>"","Order"&TEXT(COUNTA($D$4:D13),"0000"),"") -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Uma Shanker" <asdf834@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:d0n7e7$qdk$01$1@news.t-...

Opening a file with a Macro
To open files with a macro, I am currently using: Workbooks.Open Filename:= "C:\file_path.xls" How can I use a variable as part of the file path? In other words, before I try to open the file in my VBA code I will set a variable (let's call it date_extension). Then I want to open a file that I know will exist with a file path whose final characters before the .xls will be the date_extension. How can I get the file path to be recognized with the variable? Thanks for your help (P.S. I am a total novice, so I may not be familiar with commands or procedures that are fair...

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

CString help

Your Help is Appreciated

Sort Macro #2
I recorded this macro to sort a list according to a custom list. The problem I have is that it does not sort on another users Excel because they don't have the same customs list. Is there a way round this problem? Sub Macro1() Columns("N:N").Select Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("N1"), Order1:=xlDescending, Header:=xlGuess, _ OrderCustom:=12, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, _ DataOption1:=xlSortNormal End Sub Hi! Application.AddCustomList ListArray:=Range("A1:A10") will add a custo list to a workbook using a range y...

bcc help