Help: copy old ss data to new ss, with row mis-alignment

Help,

Daily I create a spreadsheet from a database, In column "A" are "Item
Numbers" in random order. I insert a 'new' column in front of column
'A', where I type text comments as I receive verbal updates during the
day.

The next day, I generate a new spreadsheet from the database whose
"Item Numbers" may OR, may not have been on yesterdays spreadsheet.

Currently, my routine is to copy-n-paste yesterdays comments into this
new version which is a pain and time consuming.

QUESTION;

Can someone provide the formula, that if there is a match in yesterdays
"Item Number" to todays speadsheet "Item Number", that it will pull over
yesterdays comments (will all cell formatting) into todays Comments row
matching the same Item Number (remember, the numbers are in random
order within the column) ?

Thanks

--
jay
jay's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2377

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Assuming source data is in sheet named as:  1, with
col A = text comments, col B = item# (#s are assumed unique)
data from row2 down (headers in A1:B1)

In sheet: 2,
Col B = item#, data from row2 down

Put in A2:
=IF(ISNA(MATCH(B2,'1'!B:B,0)),"",INDEX('1'!A:A,MATCH(B2,'1'!B:B,0)))
Copy A2 down

Col A returns the results* from sheet: 1
with unmatched cases returning blanks: ""

*Formulas can return only values, not cell formatting

Freeze the values in col A with an "in-place":
Copy > Paste special > check "Values" > OK

Adapt/extend to suit
--
Max
Singapore
"jay" <jay.21lcpy_1137186001.1587@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

> Help,
>
> Daily I create a spreadsheet from a database, In column "A" are "Item
> Numbers" in random order. I insert a 'new' column in front of column
> 'A', where I type text comments as I receive verbal updates during the
> day.
>
> The next day, I generate a new spreadsheet from the database whose
> "Item Numbers" may OR, may not have been on yesterdays spreadsheet.
>
> Currently, my routine is to copy-n-paste yesterdays comments into this
> new version which is a pain and time consuming.
>
> QUESTION;
>
> Can someone provide the formula, that if there is a match in yesterdays
> "Item Number" to todays speadsheet "Item Number", that it will pull over
> yesterdays comments (will all cell formatting) into todays Comments row
> matching the same Item Number (remember, the numbers are in random
> order within the column) ?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> jay
> jay's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2377
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=501221

0
demechanik (4694)

Transferring data to a new company that has a "new" chart of accou
Hello: The client wants to create a new company in GP 9.0. This company is going to be the client’s “new live” company. The client wants this company to have a different account format and a new chart of accounts from what the old company has. They want to get rid of this “old live” company, because they say that financial and other data is not clearly discernible. Pretty easy, so far….. But, the client also wants to transfer the payroll and payables data from the old live company to this new live company. The issue is that the new company will have a new chart of accounts. The ...

hide formula in cells till data is available for calc
I recall being able to copy a formula in a column and hiding it until data becomes available to complete the calculation. This way you don't have a series of #value# in the work sheet. The formula contains an absolute reference as well. Thanks, Kiwi A look at your formula would have been nice. =IF(cellref="","",do something) traps for cellref having no data. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 15:02:01 -0700, kiwi <kiwi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I recall being able to copy a formula in a column and hiding it u...

sumifs help

Old Question
On Novembre 04th 2009, I posted one Question labeld "Error 2001, Access 2007, Subform Bookmark", that had some replays from Jeanette Cunningham. Today I looked for them to review again, but they are not anymore available. I googled them I found that other sites still have them, but you don´t. What I have to do to continue with my request. Regards. On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:05:01 -0800, Jose Antonio Vial <JoseAntonioVial@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >On Novembre 04th 2009, I posted one Question labeld "Error 2001, Access 2007, >Subform B...

Recovering Registry Data?
Hi, For no apparent reason, the laptop crashed & rebooted itself. During the reboot process, received message that missing registry is missing and to �CHKDSK�. I didn�t get the full message because it wasn�t up viewable long enough. I did conduct a �CHKDSK� without Adminstrator rights & now get the following message: �One of the files containing the system�s Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful�. I've been told that I need to run a "CHKDSK" through Adminstrator rights status first. Ho...

Help !

Help with this thing

Excel Macro to delete rows
Hello, I have an excel Sheet in which I have a blank row below the cell which contains "<<<Mem>>>". I vave some random data and multiple such cells. Can I get some help with the excel macros for the same? Harsh Assuming "Mem" is in column E: Sub DeleteRowBelowMem() For i=cells(rows.count,5).end(xlup).row to 1 step -1 if cells(i,5).value="Mem" then rows(i+1).Delete Next End Sub Bob Umlas Excel MVP HTH "Harsh" <cooldreamz83@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1159983014.172239.234480@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... ...

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

Problem copying table data as a picture onto chartsheet
I'm having a strange problem. I'm creating a special chart which has a pie chart on it as well as some tabular data that is formatted the way we want it on a worksheet, then pasted onto the chartsheet as a picture. (The pie chart aspect is working fine. I'm just having a problem with the tabular data.) When I copy the tabular data manually by selecting the data on the worksheet, then going to the Home tab and choosing the Paste menu dropdown, then "As Picture", then "Copy as picture...". In the resulting dialog box, I choose "As shown on scr...

REALLY miussing rows in Excel2000
have some big Excel spreadsheets, 50 columns by 65525 rows (but definitely not 65536), 45MByte. They are all very similar, just a few formala tweaks different On one of them, the top nine rows have become "invisible" It is possible to navigate through all the cells involved with the cursor keys- the formula bar. name box bar etc all function correctly and show cell contents etc. They are just not visible The missing rows are not hidden The missing rows are not filtered The missing rows have a standard row height The missing rows are not locked If I move the cursor from row 10 towa...

Import data using macro
Hi, how do you use excel to import a text file using a macro to do the work for you? I start by creating a new workbook. Then turn on the macro recorder and open that text file. (Try not to make errors--it can make clean up troublesome.) Then format the worksheet (headers/footers/page layout/filters,freeze panes) exactly the way you want. When you're done, turn off the macro recorder. Close the imported file and back to your other workbook. Insert a giant button from the forms toolbar on the first worksheet (with instructions). Then save it. Now go into the vbe and start tweakin...

exch 5.5 help

new emails that are really a month old that reload every few minutes
Help. Every few minutes, I have to delete 28 "new" emails...this is a brand new problem that started yesterday. The same emails from October keep showing up as new very few minutes...I've had to delete hundreds of emails today. Why is this happening? Is there some reason you aren't deleting messages from the POP server after downloading them? Allison wrote: > Help. Every few minutes, I have to delete 28 "new" > emails...this is a brand new problem that started > yesterday. The same emails from October keep showing up > as new very few minutes....

How do I create a table with data selected via a pass through que.
I see the data using a pass thru select query but when I try to use the query in a separate make tabel query, I get an error message. Has anyone done this before? Thx. On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 14:33:00 -0800, kandamj <kandamj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I see the data using a pass thru select query but when I try to use the query >in a separate make tabel query, I get an error message. Has anyone done this >before? Thx. You may want to try saving the passthrough query, and base a new MakeTable query on that saved query. The passthrough query runs on the host, and ha...

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

Can't load old .PST files
I have Microsoft Outlook 2000 and have saved my .PST files before reformating. After installing Outlook 2000, I tried to get all my mail/calendar/contacts back by using the .PST files I had saved but it doesn't work. I have a file named outlook.pst and one caled archive.pst. How can I use them? If trying to 'read' frm a cd you cannot OL requires read/write access. Copy frm cd to hd, ensure read only flag is off, then in OL File/Open/Personal Folders.... browse to location David "Louise" <pou@videotron.ca> wrote in message news:064201c36b45$9136f7c0$a101280a@p...

Need help in data copying.

help...help...help

Macro Help

Chart and Data range
Hello I'm using a chart dayly and i would like that the chart take all the data without selecting source data within data source and updating the range manualy. Thanks for Help Louis Do a Google search for: Excel dynamic chart or go to http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Louis" <Louis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F2F4B7D-82E2-47F9-9D05-79BEE769CFC2@microsoft.com... > Hello > > I'm using a chart dayly and i would li...

daily data overlaid by monthly data chart
I have to create a graph that has daily data overlaid by monthly data. Ideally the monthly data would be a bar graph with the daily data as line graph over top. 'Here's a pic to explain what I mean (http://apple.termisoc.org/~j/files/excel_nightmare.JPG) (96kb) I also had the problem that the monthly data was in a differen arrangement - the date traversing the columns with the daily data wen vertically. - To fix it I used the Edit -> Special paste -> transpose option an then laboriously cut and pasted the resulting arrangement to one bi column. Wish I knew a better way. I ...

How can I copy Double-Click event behavior to multiple shapes in Visio
Hi, How can I copy the double-click event behavior to many shapes in my Visio drawing? I'd rather not have to visit the ShapeSheet for each shape and paste the formula into the EventDblClick field, since I have a lot of shapes to do this to. Is there a way to do that? Thanks, Joe Either write some VBA code to set the Dbl-Click property or try Visio's ShapeStudio that comes with the SDK kit. John... Visio MVP Need stencils or ideas? http://www.mvps.org/visio/3rdparty.htm Need VBA examples? http://www.mvps.org/visio/VBA.htm Common Visio Questions http://www.mvps.org/visio/com...

help me #2