grade sheet formula

im a teenager trying to do a project for school on excel. i need to re-do my
grade history sheet on excel. this is fine, i've done it all, and i'm fine on
that part. where i'm lost at is the points part. the thing is for every class
i have a grade. for every grade there are points (A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0).
that and also, if one of my classes is honors gifted, a bit higher in level,
you get an extra point (A=5, B=4, C=3, D=2, F=1). and if you're in an AP
class, advanced placement, it's 2 more points (A=6, etc.). what i need to
know is a formula so that whatever grade i get it automatically puts 4 or 3
etc. and then i need it to check if it's honors or AP and add the points
needed. the only formula a think that is "close" to help me, is the IF
formula, but am breaking my head on it, and it's not working. someone please
let me know if this is possible. these cells need to have a formula in order
for me to get a good grade. thanks in advance.

Ex. English II Honors AP.......B..... formula:B=3, 3+1+3=7
hope that explains a little bit, thank you!
0
roodis (4)
4/28/2005 8:06:04 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

finish this formula to do what you want
=LOOKUP(B14,{"a","b"},{1,2})

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"roodis" <roodis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> im a teenager trying to do a project for school on excel. i need to re-do
my
> grade history sheet on excel. this is fine, i've done it all, and i'm fine
on
> that part. where i'm lost at is the points part. the thing is for every
class
> i have a grade. for every grade there are points (A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1,
F=0).
> that and also, if one of my classes is honors gifted, a bit higher in
level,
> you get an extra point (A=5, B=4, C=3, D=2, F=1). and if you're in an AP
> class, advanced placement, it's 2 more points (A=6, etc.). what i need to
> know is a formula so that whatever grade i get it automatically puts 4 or
3
> etc. and then i need it to check if it's honors or AP and add the points
> needed. the only formula a think that is "close" to help me, is the IF
> formula, but am breaking my head on it, and it's not working. someone
please
> let me know if this is possible. these cells need to have a formula in
order
> for me to get a good grade. thanks in advance.
>
> Ex. English II Honors AP.......B..... formula:B=3, 3+1+3=7
> hope that explains a little bit, thank you!

0
Don
4/28/2005 9:59:24 PM
This should get you going:

    =LOOKUP(B1,{"A","B","C","D","F"},{4,3,2,1,0})+COUNTIF(A1,"*Honors*")
+ 2*(COUNTIF(A1,"* AP*"))

However, I get 6, not 7: B + AP + Honors  = 3 + 2 + 1 = 6. Am I
misunderstanding?

In article <37203111-C64A-4879-A027-B736F177826C@microsoft.com>,
 roodis <roodis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> im a teenager trying to do a project for school on excel. i need to re-do my
> grade history sheet on excel. this is fine, i've done it all, and i'm fine on
> that part. where i'm lost at is the points part. the thing is for every class
> i have a grade. for every grade there are points (A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0).
> that and also, if one of my classes is honors gifted, a bit higher in level,
> you get an extra point (A=5, B=4, C=3, D=2, F=1). and if you're in an AP
> class, advanced placement, it's 2 more points (A=6, etc.). what i need to
> know is a formula so that whatever grade i get it automatically puts 4 or 3
> etc. and then i need it to check if it's honors or AP and add the points
> needed. the only formula a think that is "close" to help me, is the IF
> formula, but am breaking my head on it, and it's not working. someone please
> let me know if this is possible. these cells need to have a formula in order
> for me to get a good grade. thanks in advance.
>
> Ex. English II Honors AP.......B..... formula:B=3, 3+1+3=7
> hope that explains a little bit, thank you!
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
4/29/2005 12:05:34 AM
thank you both, alot, this was alot of help. though i forgot to put in a
little detail that i've tried to fix myself but no luck. no matter what class
i get an "F" in, it should always end up a "0". but in my Honors AP class
where i have an "F" i get 3 points, which is not true. can you help me fix
this? thanks again in advance, i appreciate it.

"roodis" wrote:

> im a teenager trying to do a project for school on excel. i need to re-do my
> grade history sheet on excel. this is fine, i've done it all, and i'm fine on
> that part. where i'm lost at is the points part. the thing is for every class
> i have a grade. for every grade there are points (A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0).
> that and also, if one of my classes is honors gifted, a bit higher in level,
> you get an extra point (A=5, B=4, C=3, D=2, F=1). and if you're in an AP
> class, advanced placement, it's 2 more points (A=6, etc.). what i need to
> know is a formula so that whatever grade i get it automatically puts 4 or 3
> etc. and then i need it to check if it's honors or AP and add the points
> needed. the only formula a think that is "close" to help me, is the IF
> formula, but am breaking my head on it, and it's not working. someone please
> let me know if this is possible. these cells need to have a formula in order
> for me to get a good grade. thanks in advance.
>
> Ex. English II Honors AP.......B..... formula:B=3, 3+1+3=7
> hope that explains a little bit, thank you!
0
roodis (4)
5/3/2005 6:50:01 PM
One way:

   =LOOKUP(B1,{"A","B","C","D","F "},{4,3,2,1,0}) + (B1<>"F") *
COUNTIF(A1,"*Honors*") + 2*(COUNTIF(A1,"* AP*"))

In article <633125CD-3FFB-4724-BA91-79A74B9747B4@microsoft.com>,
 roodis <roodis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> i forgot to put in a little detail that i've tried to fix myself but
> no luck. no matter what class i get an "F" in, it should always end
> up a "0". but in my Honors AP class where i have an "F" i get 3
> points, which is not true. can you help me fix this?
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
5/3/2005 7:54:23 PM
i really appreciate your help, and am sorry for asking for too much but, i'm
getting a one... algebra 2 honors.... F..... 1. can you further assist me?
thanks alot. and if it's not too much a hassle, i need another formula. if
it's a half year course, i only get half the grade. so i'm guessing a formula
that helps you see the .5 credit earned and then divides the total by 2. im
new at this and am trying to do it on my own but, no luck. thanks again!

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

> One way:
>
>    =LOOKUP(B1,{"A","B","C","D","F "},{4,3,2,1,0}) + (B1<>"F") *
> COUNTIF(A1,"*Honors*") + 2*(COUNTIF(A1,"* AP*"))
>
> In article <633125CD-3FFB-4724-BA91-79A74B9747B4@microsoft.com>,
>  roodis <roodis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > i forgot to put in a little detail that i've tried to fix myself but
> > no luck. no matter what class i get an "F" in, it should always end
> > up a "0". but in my Honors AP class where i have an "F" i get 3
> > points, which is not true. can you help me fix this?

0
roodis (4)
5/3/2005 10:10:04 PM
ok i got the F=O formula working, thanks. but, any luck on the other one?

"roodis" wrote:

> i really appreciate your help, and am sorry for asking for too much but, i'm
> getting a one... algebra 2 honors.... F..... 1. can you further assist me?
> thanks alot. and if it's not too much a hassle, i need another formula. if
> it's a half year course, i only get half the grade. so i'm guessing a formula
> that helps you see the .5 credit earned and then divides the total by 2. im
> new at this and am trying to do it on my own but, no luck. thanks again!
>
> "JE McGimpsey" wrote:
>
> > One way:
> >
> >    =LOOKUP(B1,{"A","B","C","D","F "},{4,3,2,1,0}) + (B1<>"F") *
> > COUNTIF(A1,"*Honors*") + 2*(COUNTIF(A1,"* AP*"))
> >
> > In article <633125CD-3FFB-4724-BA91-79A74B9747B4@microsoft.com>,
> >  roodis <roodis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > > i forgot to put in a little detail that i've tried to fix myself but
> > > no luck. no matter what class i get an "F" in, it should always end
> > > up a "0". but in my Honors AP class where i have an "F" i get 3
> > > points, which is not true. can you help me fix this?

0
roodis (4)
5/3/2005 10:30:07 PM
How can one determine if the course is a half-year course?

In article <3B25BD62-6049-4DF2-81D7-2B831F0B69DF@microsoft.com>,
 roodis <roodis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> ok i got the F=O formula working, thanks. but, any luck on the other one?
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

Compare 2 Sheets and Extract Unique Info to a 3rd Sheet
I have two sheets of stock data from a stock screener, both same parameters, just different time frames (i.e., one sheet is newer whenever I import new a new screen from the Internet), which will pull different stocks as time passes. I'm trying to compare the two sheets and extract the stock data (a whole row's worth of data, not just a cell) that is unique to the "Last Import" sheet. This would allow any new stocks identified on the screener to be transferred to a new sheet (called "Filtered List"). That way I don't have to research the same stocks over and ove...

Problem printing excel sheet with a browser
I have a worksheet that I want others read and print via their I browser. This worksheet consist of just one page and I have saved th worksheet as .htm and it looks perfect in the browser. But when I wan to print it with the IE browser, it tooks 4 pages, all excel formattin are lost, no footer. How can I fix this ? Thank you all. mis2OO -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

time-sheet record with over 24 hours
I want ot create a time sheet for my employees where I can have the first column be the start time, and the second be the end time, with the ability to start at 10pm and finish the shift at 8am, which is over the 24 hour mark. Then have the hours totalled in the third column, with a subtotal for each week, and total for two weeks. My current dilema is where the hours go over the 24hour mark in the same day and getting the total of hours worked for that day. You might get some help from here: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/overtime.htm tj "kkwaters" wrote: > I want ot ...

Total a column from sheet 2 based on value in sheet 1
Col B Col C Col F Mary Team 1 $331.00 George Team 1 $222.00 Sam Team 2 $186.00 Tom Team 2 $100.00 Above is an example of my data on Sheet 2. On Sheet 1, I want to total all the total funds raised per Team shown on Sheet 2. I am trying to create a summary of what each team raised. I tried using the formula: =SUM(('sheet 2'!F2:F482=Sheet1!B2)) and I get just a dash in my total col. Can anyone provide some help? Thanks Look in HELP for the SUMIF() function -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Nee...

Different data sheets
We put together a questionnaire in xls. Got over 100 of them back, and have now to pull together the info we gathered. I put all 100 in one single workbook, each time in a different sheet. Would now need to put all the answers given per question, in a separate sheet. If I put f.i. in a cell ='1'!A37, I get there the answer of sheet one, cell 37. But if I drag this down to copy this, the sheet always stays the first one, while I would like xls to change each time the sheet, but keep the cell. So how can I copy this that I get in the cell below ='2'!A37, next ...

Copy using two sheets
Hi, I have 2 workbooks, the first is: HCP_2005 with one of the sheets named "October 2005"and the second is WV_2005 with one of it's sheets "Oct". The following macro filters a range and copy the filtered rows to the second workbook to the mentioned sheet in the second workbook named "Oct". I need ALSO to copy the cells D1 & D2 from the sheet "October 2005" in "HCP_2005" to the same location in the second workbook "WV_2005" in the sheet "Oct". I am not succeding to do it. It seems I am missing something. Can an...

Formulas #21
I worked with Excel 97 for years and have now upgraded to 2002. My worksheet formulas do not work anymore and I am unable to make them save in the worksheet when i manually make the formula do the calculation. What could I be doing wrong? Maybe the calculation mode got toggled to manual. tools|options|calculation mode|check automatic save your workbook. This setting is picked up from the first workbook that you open in that session. cookie wrote: > > I worked with Excel 97 for years and have now upgraded to 2002. My worksheet > formulas do not work anymore and I am unable t...

Need help with linking sheets.
Hi all, I have a problem I was hoping someone could help me with. What I'm doing is using a =sumif() to pull some numbers from different files. On the files that I'm pulling the information from I have two ranges named Code and Current and we'll call the actual file names Table.xls, Table1.xls, Table2.xls, etc. On the file that I'm trying to pull the information into I have =sumif('Table.xls'!Code,A5,'Table.xls'!Current) in C5. This pulls the information fine but I have 300 rows I have this formula in. I want to be able to just put the file name like ...

Protect sheet problem
When I open the workbook, Sheet CALCULATEHERE is not protected properly. "Select locked cells" and Select unlocked cells" are both checked. Can someone explain what I'm doing wrong? Thanks, Bernie Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean) Sheets("CALCULATEHERE").Select UNPROTECTSHEET Range("A1") = 0 Range("A2") = 0 Range("A4").Select DELETEWORKSHEETS Sheets("CALCULATEHERE").Select PROTECTSHEET 'When I check the sheet here, it is protected properly, but something apparently goes...

How to name each sheet in the box
Hi there, I used someones spreadsheet and they had the names of the sheets listed in the box below the font at the top of the screen. I think its called the name box. I'd like to do that with my spreadsheet so I can switch sheets by clicking the dropdown. Anyone know how to do this? Thanks in advance Grd I do not completey understand the situation, but it may be something like this: In the upper left box in the Formula Bar the active Cell address is displayed or the name of the Cell if it has been given a name. If you select the Down-arrow on the right-side a drop-down list of a...

Help for formula.
Hi. I want to solve a linear of n X n equations system in Excel, where the solution can be derived as follow: Xn = ao Xn-1 = a1 * Xn Xn-2 = a2 * Xn-1 + a3 * Xn Xn-3 = a4* Xn-2 + a5 * Xn-1 + a6 * Xn e.g. The an coefficients (a0,a1,a2,….an) are all known. Lets simplify the above system using an example. Lets say that n=5 and: X5=7 X4=2*X5 X3=3*X4+2*X5 X2=1*X3+3*X4+4*X5 X1=1*x2+1*x3+1*x4+2*x5 (Then the solution is: X1=210, X2=126, X3=56, X4=14 and X5=7) Any idea how can I solve these n x n equations in general form in Excel? (I tried with sumproduct() but I stuck in coeff...

sheets
Dear sir,with my regards,i enclosed herewith an example from a workbook asking you kindly to help me for transferring the datas mentioned in main sheet to agents sheets continually . Thanks in advance. -- tofimoon3 Hi, No files can be attached here, so you need to find a location accessible from the web and let us know where you put them. -- If this helps, please click the Yes button Cheers, Shane Devenshire "tofimoon3" wrote: > > Dear sir,with my regards,i enclosed herewith an example from a workbook > asking you kindly to help me for transferring the datas ...

Duplicate a chart with relative formulas
If I have several sheets, each with data for a particular year, how can I copy a chart from 1 year to all the others, making sure the data references are to the respective year? Duplicate the sheet that has the chart, then replace the data on the copied sheet. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://peltiertech.com/ On 3/23/2010 9:29 PM, Bobhoe wrote: > If I have several sheets, each with data for a particular year, how can I > copy a chart from 1 year to all the others, making sure the data references > are to the respective year? ...

Multiple formulas in subtotal
Hi, all. This is difficult for me to explain, but I'm trying to use the sum function for one column in my subtotal but I would like two other columns to show me what exists for that section. Sales_Code PeopleSoftID SalesRep Sales 00014 117895 BAKKER 72.67 00014 117895 BAKKER 533.88 I would like the subtotal to look like: Sales_Code PeopleSoftID SalesRep Sales 00014 117895 BAKKER Total 606.55 When I use the sum function at change in SalesRep, I get blank cells...

Dragging formulas
I've a column which I want to drag info from another spreadsheet. Rather than incremental in row #, it's sort of a transposed. Example as follows: A1 = Sheet5!A15 A2 = Sheet5!B15 A3 = Sheet5!C15 A4 = Sheet5!D15 Can this be done using a formula and drag down? Thanks. Derrick Have a look at the TRANSPOSE function. I has to be array entered and cover the entire range of both the input and output areas. Tony >-----Original Message----- >I've a column which I want to drag info from another >spreadsheet. Rather than incremental in row #, it's sort >of a trans...

filling datat to another sheet
i have a list of peoples names, hundreds long, that need to get inpute to another sheet in the same workbook, but each name has a differen spot to go to. They are seperated by about 15 lines each, with dat between? How to do this without cut and paste -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Static, How you do this depends on whether you're trying to add the list to an already filled column that has a blank spot every 15 rows, or to a completely blank column. For the completely blank column: Suppose your list starts in A1 of Sheet2. In A1 of Sheet1, use the formula =INDIR...

where can I find a simple home budget work sheet?
I want to record all our home expenses on a daily basis to keep track of where the money is going. I am looking for a worksheet to accomplish this in a simple way. Thank you. "Jagadeep" <Jagadeep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:92737A01-1804-42B0-8444-9B75F5D73B26@microsoft.com... > I want to record all our home expenses on a daily basis to keep track of > where the money is going. I am looking for a worksheet to accomplish this > in > a simple way. > Thank you. Try Office Online - plenty of Home Budget templates there. In f...

Grade Percentage into letter grade
What formula would I use to turn a class percentage into a letter grade. If a student has a 94% for the class how do I get excel to relflect that into an a if the range is 90-100%? http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html#Range -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "James" <James@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DCFFEF92-DE7C-46AF-B666-D2860CA0FAA9@microsoft.com... > What formula would I use to turn a class percentage into a letter grade. > If > a student has a 94% for the class how do I get excel to relflect that into >...

Creating an ongoing summary sheet within Spreadsheet
I have a spreadsheet with tabs for 2000-2001, 2002, 2003, 2004. All formats are same. How do I make a page for totals of all these pages - is this how a pivot table would work? Thanks! It depends on what form the information is on the your sheets. If the information is in a data table with the first line being a header row then you can create pivot tables for each table. Gary "JS" wrote: > I have a spreadsheet with tabs for 2000-2001, 2002, 2003, > 2004. All formats are same. How do I make a page for > totals of all these pages - is this how a pivot table &g...

Grade [School] template to track grades over terms
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Is there such a template or can someone tell me how to link grades with numeric values (i.e. A=4.0, A-=3.75, B+= 3.5, B = 3.0, etc. <br> per term and cum is what I am tracking. Thank you. On Dec 5, 7:36=A0pm, cswea...@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: I= ntel Is there such a template or can someone tell me how to link grades wit= h numeric values (i.e. A=3D4.0, A-=3D3.75, B+=3D 3.5, B =3D 3.0, etc. > per term and cum is what I am ...

Creating Formula using check boxes
Is it possible to create a formula using various check boxes? For example, if a check box relating to a particular month is checked, then that is added to the formula. The formula will then be slowly built according to what has been checked. This will be using the SUMPRODUCT formula.. Any ideas/advice appreciated.. Hi if your checkboxes are for example linked to row 2 you could use something like =SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:X2),A3:X3) to sum row 3 depending on the checked columns -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Anthony Slater" <AnthonySlater@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Cost Sheet
I'm trying to come up with a daily cost sheet. What I've done so far is develop a tab on the spreadsheet that has all the information, that I want to retrieve. Now, what I want to do is develop a "summary page" that retrieves information by date. So, what I did was come up with a drop down menu where you are allowed to select the date on which you want to view the performance of the day. My question is how do I make the information change on the "summary page", once you select a different date? One way is illustrated in this sample: http://www.freefilehosting....

Unwanted Formula Display
Occassionally I will get to a point where after editing a cell, the formula will be displayed instead of the value. I've not done anything other than the edit (say make the reference absolute). The value is displayed, the cell edited, the forumula gets displayed. I can't seem to revert to diplaying the value. This result is cell- specific. I don't see where Format changes this. Any help in resolving this would be appreciated. Thanks. Hi, Normally this happens if the cells formatting is changed to text. You should change cell formatting back to general (or what it should ...

Sheet command?
Does anyone know how to automatically update a worksheet? I have an assignment whereby i have to enter the results for 10 english classes each containing 20 students. these results are then to be automatically entered into an overall english summary sheet and on overall summary sheet (containing other subjects) the guide says to do this using the 'sheet command' anybody know how to do this? Or simply how to automatically update a worksheet by transferring the results from one to another? To me,it sounds like you have "raw data" in a data sheet where you enter scores, then in...

How to update an external excel sheet
The situation is this: *All the computers have Windows XP. *All this is working under a net. *In computer A: I have a bloomberg terminal. *In computer A: I have an excel sheet open linked to bloomberg that automatically updates the information. *In computer B: I have an excel sheet and I want that everything updates in this computer too. Any help? Thanks. Hi, You could link both workbooks to bloomberg, or link the workbook on computer B to the workbook on computer A. Cheers -- macropod [MVP - Microsoft Word] <google@pichara.com> wrote in message news:1149862448.687935.133210@j...