GPA Calculator, problem - GPA Calculator.xls (0/1)

Hey i'm in college and i'm trying to get Excel to do the Cumulative
GPA (not including classes i'm currently enrolled in), a semester GPA,
and a Combined GPA.  the first two work but the third does not.

when i type in the formula =sum(d2/d1) works, when i type in the
formula =sum(h8:h11+d8:d24)/sum(f8:f11+b8:b24)  it does not.

cumulative gpa
=sum(d8:d24)/(b8:b24)                  this should be 2.36  something
(i had a rough first year).

semester gpa
=sum(h8:h11)/(f8:f11)                     this should be about 3.0

Combined GPA
=sum(h8:h11+d8:d24)/sum(f8:f11+b8:b24)
				when this works, it gives me a number
like 141.  it should give me a number like 2.50 or 2.67.

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You have misread the meaning of SUM. It is a function to summing a range of
cells as in SUM(A1:A20) to add up the cells A1+A2+A3...A20. It does not mean
"do this math"
So your =sum(d2/d1) should be simply =D1/D2
and your =sum(h8:h11)/(f8:f11) should be SUM(H8:H11)/SUM(F8:F11)
Now look at =sum(h8:h11+d8:d24)/sum(f8:f11+b8:b24)
Looks like you need =SUM(H8:H11,D8:D24)/SUM(F8:F11,B8:B24))
The syntax for SUM is =SUM(argument1, argument2, ...) where all but the
first argument are optional.

Not a bad GPA and improving.  (sorry I'm a prof - or was until Sept 1, 2004)

--
Bernard Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"bentley_rhodes" <bentley_rhodes@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hey i'm in college and i'm trying to get Excel to do the Cumulative
> GPA (not including classes i'm currently enrolled in), a semester GPA,
> and a Combined GPA.  the first two work but the third does not.
>
> when i type in the formula =sum(d2/d1) works, when i type in the
> formula =sum(h8:h11+d8:d24)/sum(f8:f11+b8:b24)  it does not.
>

> cumulative gpa
> =sum(d8:d24)/(b8:b24)                  this should be 2.36  something
> (i had a rough first year).
>

> semester gpa
> =sum(h8:h11)/(f8:f11)                     this should be about 3.0
>

> Combined GPA
> =sum(h8:h11+d8:d24)/sum(f8:f11+b8:b24)
> when this works, it gives me a number
> like 141.  it should give me a number like 2.50 or 2.67.

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
10/10/2004 4:40:17 PM
Thanks!  That works!  The third did, that is!  i still had to put the
'=' before the SUM for the others.  Thank you, though!

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 13:40:17 -0300, "Bernard Liengme"
<bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH.ca> wrote:

>You have misread the meaning of SUM. It is a function to summing a range of
>cells as in SUM(A1:A20) to add up the cells A1+A2+A3...A20. It does not mean
>"do this math"
>So your =sum(d2/d1) should be simply =D1/D2
>and your =sum(h8:h11)/(f8:f11) should be SUM(H8:H11)/SUM(F8:F11)
>Now look at =sum(h8:h11+d8:d24)/sum(f8:f11+b8:b24)
>Looks like you need =SUM(H8:H11,D8:D24)/SUM(F8:F11,B8:B24))
>The syntax for SUM is =SUM(argument1, argument2, ...) where all but the
>first argument are optional.
>
>Not a bad GPA and improving.  (sorry I'm a prof - or was until Sept 1, 2004)

Date Format Problems??
Date Format Problems?? Hi, I am a bit novice at some of this; any suggestions will help, (can find/ using: format cells, number/custom.. cond. format..) Date example that I was/ am using: Text: 051113, and "Right Justify" to see just last 2 digits: 13 (for day) I changed system date format in Control Panel, Regions, to be: yy-mm-dd (did not really want dashes, trying for database type sorting of dates..?) Don't know if I should pick a different format to do same thing.. to see: yymmdd. - Is there a work-around for seeing "text"? / last two charac...

excel calculation
hi, I need to do a formula that covers the next conditions: Max= 5000 Total= 5700 Min = ??? if total < max, then min = total*0.06 if total = max, then min = total*0.06 if total > max, then min = (max*0.06)+(total-max) thanx Hi, Try this =IF(B2>B1,(B1*0.06)+(B2-B1),B2*0.06) Where B1= max B2= total Mike "Shiblie Bshara" wrote: > hi, > I need to do a formula that covers the next conditions: > > Max= 5000 > Total= 5700 > Min = ??? > > if total < max, then min = total*0.06 > if total = max, then min = total*0.06 > if total > max, ...

Highlight cell 1 and move to last cell
I would like to highlight a cell then jump to last entry to highlight a block so I can copy or delete that block of text. Select all is not what I want. Thanks, Ralphael, the OLD one assume in a single column or row with contiguous data for a column click in the top cell. Hold down the shift key, then hit the end key followed by the down arrow. for a row, it would be the right arrow. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "Ralphael1" wrote: > I would like to highlight a cell then jump to last entry to highlight > a block so I can copy or delete that block of text. > Select ...

Have a client on GP 6.0 with Pervasive -wants to go to Version 10.
Any suggestions? -- Mike Quirke www.houstonsoftware.com IIRC 7.5 was just 7.0 with the service packs and 6.0 to 7.5 was no problem. I think all of the conversions that I did were 6.0 to 7.5 and then Pervasive to SQL Server 2000. Then, most of my clients waited and jumped from 7.5 directly to 9.0 again, without any problems in the conversion. The interface change that started with 8.0 has been a major sore point for long time users as it is far less efficient than the palette system. -- Lyle U Mike Quirke wrote: > Any suggestions? Mike, I double checked, and I do have the sequence...

Calander Problem #2
Hi When I try to invite someone to a meeting I can that he is busy or not, but our problem is that insted of seeing that the person is buy we can see in what he is busy? How can we stop it, so that we be able only to that he is busy? Than'x S ...

Form Load problem
The problem is that I create my invoice/record from frmMain my main page but to update my Invoice I have to do it from frmModifyClientinvoice, Is there a way to code ot so if the first part fails it will move to the 2nd part? recInvoice.Open "SELECT * FROM tblInvoice where InvoiceID=" & Forms!frmMain!subfrmModifyInvoiceClient.Form!lstModify.value _ , CurrentProject.Connection, adOpenDynamic, adLockOptimistic subShowInvoiceValues subShowInvoiceDetailValues recInvoice.Open "SELECT * FROM tblInvoice where InvoiceID=" &...

Vista, Outlook 2007 client synchronization error with crm 3.0
Hi, I am getting the error " An unknown error occurred while synchronizing daha to Outlook ". Any idea to resolve this issue? Kind Regards, G�rkan I am having this same issue, have you managed to resolve it? I have tried repairing outlook and crm and reinstalling crm but with no luck. Thanks K "Gurkan Erol" wrote: > Hi, > > I am getting the error > " > An unknown error occurred while synchronizing daha to Outlook > ". > > Any idea to resolve this issue? > > Kind Regards, > > Gürkan > > ...

Question -Problem

Problems with syncing with MSN since udating Bank of America
I am a Bank of America customer so I updated the account per last weekends instructions. Every since then I cannot sync with MSN Money on line. Also a number of other accounts no longer updata including ING Direct, Chase, Circuit City. I uninstalled and reinstalled Money 2006 Deluxe. I tried earlier versions of my back up files to before the update but nothing works. Oh by the way I installed the Beta of IE 7 but have since uninstalled it. I am not sure if the problems started when I did the Bank update or when I did the IE 7 beta. I have tried phone support but no luck. Any sugg...

select record before and after, then calculate average.
I've got an intersting update query that I can't seem to figure out. What I am trying to do is identify the records where [O3ppm] is zero and update that value by averaging the hour before and the hour after. So for hour 1100, the value should be 0.04 by averaging the [O3ppm] value for the 1000 hour(before) and the 1200 hour(after). Any help is greatly appreciated. Here is a sample of the data: [ID] [DATE] [TIME] [O3ppm] 30898754 7/1/2005 0 0.02 30898755 7/1/2005 100 0.02 30898756 7/1/200...

Problem deploying a cube with a caculated member
I posted this question in the OLAP group a few days ago and have gotten no response, so I thought I'd try here. I apologize for the repeated post and if this is not the appropriate group for this question. I'm using SQL Server 2005. I used BIDS to create a cube with several measures (one measure group), and I'm trying to add a calculated member using 2 of the measures. Without the calculated member, the cube deploys successfully. I can create the calculated member and the cube builds with no errors, but when I try to deploy the cube I get the MdxScript error messag...

Posting setup
Our client has noticed some flaws in the Posting Setup window. When you choose the series (eg. Purchasing) and Origin All, it always defaults to certain fields. For example, the Posting Date From is always defaulted to Batch. If you have selected Transactions for all the purchasing windows, and then you exit this window by clicking on OK, it actually overwrites all the windows so that they are all using Posting Date From Batch instead of Transaction. This raises concerns with our client and they believe that it needs to be improved. This has caused problems several times and they ha...

Problems with HTML-import
When I import data from an HTML-file the values is not=20 numeric but text. It is shown with a little green sign=20 upper left i a cell. Has anyone a suggestion why this is happening cause I=20 di=B4n=B4t have the problem in Office 97? Are you concerned with the little green sign? If yes, it's excel 2002's way of showing you that something appears wrong. If you select the cell, you'll see a little "caution" icon near your cell. Click on it and you'll see what excel is warning you about. xl will even give you a chance to convert the text number to number number. ...

IF Statement calculation
I am trying to write an IF statement that assigns point values to a calcualtions. For example If a number is 0.7 or above then assign 100. If the number is between 0.69 and 0.51, then assign 50. If the number is .50 and below then 0. How do I write an If statement that has all of these variables. Thanks for your help. Hi Michelle, Try a vlookup. A1 = 0 A2 = .51 A3 = .7 B1 = 0 B2 = 50 B3 = 100 In E1 enter =VLOOKUP(D1,A1:B3,2,1) In D1 enter the lookup value. 0 to .5 returns 0 ..51 to .69 returns 50 ..7 and over returns 100 HTH Regards, Howard "Michelle" <anonymo...

INSTR search problem
Using VB5, I have a string of data that may contain an imbeded equal sign, Carrage return and Line Feed ie. Chr(61) Chr(13) Chr(10), one after another in the data string . How can I test for this? I have tried: TestHexString = " & Chr(61) & Chr(13) & Chr(10) & " CRLFfound = Instr(1, ActualData, TestHexString) If CRLFfound > 0 then but this doesn't work!! "Dennis Rose" <DennisRose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28EF964A-D52E-4509-9302-61262A7254F6@microsoft.com... > > Using VB5, I have a...

Problems with default styles in Outlook 2003
Suddenly the default font colour has change to yellow so no one can read it. How to I reset the default andwhat template is it in? I use word 2003 as my editor and use html format. Thanks -- Regards, rfc ……..This is a very late answer to your question, but I have had the same problem for months, and it was only recently solved by Expert-Exchange forum: http://www.experts-exchange.com, Applications, MS Office topic area. Question Title: Email.dot template for Outlook XP The problem is a "bug" or a MS "joke" in the "blank" stationery cho...

what is the fast(est) way to calculate millisec time span in mfc
hello board, I have an application that receives about 10 Kbytes/Sec from serial port in 8 byte packets. packets have to be labelled with time. I couldn't add time label within device because it would need much wider communication bandwidth, so windows has to do it. I ususally write my programs using mfc. Now I want to add a time label to each packet with 1 millisec resolution. I don't want to add a timer because handling timer messages need an unnecessay computational overhead. I like to save last time label and when new packet arrived I calculate elapsed time and add the elap...

Calculating intertest
Is there a formula to caluculate interest easly. I have different deposit dates Different dates that interest rates changed mostly in the middle of a month never on the same day of a month. I must calculate interest and interest must be added to the deposit after a year. Thanks Do you mean simple interest or compound interest? - and is the firs year interest free? - or is interest to be added to the account 1 months after it is calculated, or is the interest for a yea accumulated and added to the due amount at the end of a year? If the interest is 'Simple Interest', is there a...

OWA problems after changing e-mail address
I am in the process of evaluating Exchange 2003 and have come across a problem authenticating to Outlook Web Access. Lets say that my test domain is called test-domain.com Our e-mail addressing scheme however will be different, lets say test.com So, in our environment, my e-mail address would be jrkallas@test.com despite the fact that our AD domain is test-domain.com When we make this change within AD Users and Computers, we are no longer able to authenticate to Outlook Web Access. We can still access e-mail through the Outlook Client, but get "Authorization failed" on OW...

Problem converting to VS .NET 2001 CAccessor
I've been converting a large project from VS 6.0 to VS.NET. I've run into the many problem with consumer templates and had thought I worked through all of them. However, when running the first "Select From xxx where yyy='value'" statement, I discovered 'value' was being set to an empty string. I narrowed the problem down to ATLDBCLI.H. But the problem seems so pervasive that I have a hard time believing a bug like this would have gotten out of preliminary testing within MS. So, I'm suspicious that we might not be properly extending some of the ATL acc...

IN EXCEL 2003 HOW DO i GET A CELL TO BE 4-0 INSTEAD OF APR00
I am setting up an inventory sheet and everytime I try to enter 4-0 under size it comes up APR 00 and when I do 5-0, I get May00. How do I change the column so it allows 4-0 or 0-0? Pre-format the cells as Text or preface the 4-0 with an apostrophe which won't be visible. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 16:34:02 -0800, TWMMAM <TWMMAM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am setting up an inventory sheet and everytime I try to enter 4-0 under >size it comes up APR 00 and when I do 5-0, I get May00. How do I change the >column so it allows 4-0 or 0-0? G...

I Player problem
I have watched I Player for some time and never had a problem. Now I get two messages. The first is stating " Virtual memory is too low. Windows is increasing your virtual memory paging file" And the second "Insufficient bandwidth to stream programme" The result is I cannot get a proper video with it starting and stopping all the time What can I do to correct this? Blair Try running Disk Cleanup to delete all temp files. What free space is shown on C? "bm" <Darroch@aol.com> wrote in message news:uzA5Dij4KHA.6132@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl....

How do I calculate percentages in a report?
I have seven crew members who have worked at various parks throughout the year. My report has all the parks and the hours worked by each crew member. How do I calculate the percentage of hours worked at any one park by a member for the year in a report? Tessa wrote: >I have seven crew members who have worked at various parks throughout the >year. My report has all the parks and the hours worked by each crew member. >How do I calculate the percentage of hours worked at any one park by a member >for the year in a report? If you don't already have one, create a group w...

Set cell size, text input problem
I have a merged cell with wrap text and have prevented users from editing the size of the cell (they can change the font, formatting, etc.). The problem is that users can enter in text that overflows the cell, and it simply cuts it off--this is ok (better than NOT cutting the text off), but it'd be great if I could prevent them from overflowing the cell altogether. Shrink to Fit does not seem to work with merged and wrapped cells (you can unclick merge and wrap, click shrink, and then reclick the others; still doesn't work), otherwise that would be ok. Ideas? ...

How to calculate wages
Can someone please help me. I am trying to create a worksheet that tells me: the pay rates per age x the hours worked and then calculate the total wages paid. COLUMN 1 COLUMN 2 COLUMN 3 COLUMN 4 AGE RATE HOURS WORKED TOTAL WAGE 26 15.1463 3.5 53.00 I cant get column 3 to change to hours and minutes format and then give me the correct total for column 4. I have sorted out columns 1 and 2. Any help will be really appreciated. Michelle, Time is stored as part of a day, and each day has a value of 1. So i...