getting data from table using 2 values

from a standard spreadsheet, using a function(?) how can I return a value
from a table using values for the headers and columns. For example, the table
has ages across the top and events done the side. Simply I need to "lookup"
both ages and events to return a value from the cross section of these values.

Any assistance welcome!!

Many thanks
0
MSUser (1)
4/15/2009 5:54:01 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

If the range is A1:G100, for example, and age is in H1 and event in H2:
=INDEX(A1:G100,MATCH(H2,A1:A100,0),MATCH(H1,A1:G1,0))
HTH
Bob Umlas
Excel MVP

"MS_user" <MSuser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> from a standard spreadsheet, using a function(?) how can I return a value
> from a table using values for the headers and columns. For example, the
> table
> has ages across the top and events done the side. Simply I need to
> "lookup"
> both ages and events to return a value from the cross section of these
> values.
>
> Any assistance welcome!!
>
> Many thanks

0
rumlas (268)

Won't Run #2
My MS Money 2002 version all of a sudden would not open no matter where we tried. I'm running windows XP and all other programs are fine.Any suggestions? Try reading some previous postings in this NG. It is all explained. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money Hints/Tips http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny UK Wishes/Suggestions mnyukwsh@microsoft.com "Ed" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:10afb01c3f446$5aa5f6e0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > My MS Money 2002 version all of a sudden would not open > no m...

OT
Slightly off topic - counldn't find any appropriate group on my server. I'm running a prog in debug mode (VC7.1.3088) for several hours or more and I'm sending a lot of output via ATLTRACE2 to the output window. In the past I've had a couple visual studio crashes and I wondered if there was any restriction on the amount of data the output window can safely take - or there are any bugs linked to this. TIA "Joe" <not@here.com> wrote in message news:4230fa32$0$10953$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com... > Slightly off topic - counldn't find any appr...

OWA attachment problem #2
Hello, I'm experiencing unexpected behaviour in Outlook Web Access. When i attach a Level1FileType-file to an e-mail and i save it in the drafts folder instead of sending it, then i should not be able to access the attachment when i re-open the e-mail from the drafts-folder according to this article/webcast: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fservicedesks%2Fwebcasts%2Fwc061600%2FWCT061600.asp Since this article states: if you're working on a message and you attach one of these Level 1 attachments and you work for awhile and then you close the message to save it i...

Average If Question #2
We are trying to average the numbers in one column only if they equal any or all of 6 different numbers from a different column (7474, 7921, 8612, 9011, 3945, 2209). We are using this formula, but it seems to be giving us slightly different numbers than if we just pulled the numbers together through sorting and took the average. =AVERAGE(IF(B1:B9={7474, 7921, 8612, 9011, 3945, 2209},C1:C9,FALSE)) Try: =AVERAGE(IF(B1:B9={7474,7921,8612,9011,3945,2209},C1:C9)) Array-entered, meaning press ctrl + shift + enter. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >We are trying to ...

Target.Offset(0, 36).Value Help
In the below, I use this to force the persons USERNAME to populate 36 rows to the right in a column I hide. This shows me who was in a spreadsheet and updating ONE specific column... Column AD. My question is this... Can I poulate a named range with their USERNAME. I want to insert a named range, then force the USERNAME there. (INSERT>NAME>DEFINE>) Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) Const myRange As String = "ad7:AD90" 'Const myrange As String = "A3,A6,A8,A11,A16" On Error GoTo stoppit Application.EnableEvents = False...

Using Outlook Custom Forms through OWA
Hi all, Is there any way to implement this? We have an Exchange 2003 server with Sp2. Users out of office hope to use outlook custom forms through OWA. Can this be done? ...

Colour values of calendar categories
Hi I'm trying to ensure appointments on our calendar are colour-coded by keywords. To keep track of which colour is assigned to which keyword, and so I can show others, I'm using Excel 2007. The problem is, I can't find anywhere that lists the rgb / hex value of the named colours (red, dark red, teal, maroon, etc). Please does anyone know where I can find these values, or better still, just let me know what they are? Thanks in advance Steve Years ago I had a tool that displayed the value for the color of where the mouse cursor was placed over. But I don'...

Data validation behaviour
Local named ranges: Codes!Depth_Range refers to: = Codes!$A$10 evaluates to: 46 (always a positive integer) Codes!Short_Name_Header refers to: = Codes!$Z$12 Codes!Sign_Table refers to: =OFFSET(Codes!Short_Name_Header,1,0,Codes!Depth_Range,3) Codes!Table refers to: =OFFSET(Codes!Short_Name_Header,1,0,Codes!Depth_Range,9) Workbook-level named ranges: Global_Sign_Table refers to: =Codes!Sign_Table Global_Table refers to: =Codes!Table In worksheet "Analysis", data validation on a cell is set to Custom formula: =$V16*VLOOKUP($P16,Global_Sign_Table,3)>=0 This be...

How to paint connections by value
Hi, Im doing rack diagram, so i need to paint all cables with different colors by their lengths. I can see all connections lengths from "size & position" one by one, How to do that? now looking up that "color by value" command and it doesn't work? Pls help? "Tulga" <tulgabat@gmail.com> wrote in message news:856c2ee0-0b04-48d0-9ad0-67791fd83b4e@w9g2000prb.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Im doing rack diagram, so i need to paint all cables with different > colors by their lengths. I can see all connections lengths from "...

A Crystal Beginner

Restrict spreadsheet to data entry only
Fairly new to Excel. Once I've set up the structure of my spreadsheet, and entered the formulae for calculated cells etc, how can I ensure that the spreadsheet is used just for data entry and that the structure cannot be altered in any way? TIA You can use protection. You need to go to every cell you want for data entry and unprotect tha cell. You can select multiple cells... right mouse click... Then hi format cells... The last tab says protection, select it and click th check box to unprotect these items. Now you can then in the menu bar hit Tools... Protection... and the Protect...

Likert scale calculation
I have used the following table in my survey: Frequency of use - check which on is applicable: every few hours every few mins every few secs item1 item2 item3 .. .. .. item10 so the sample data looks like this: id item1 item 2 ............. item10 1 hours hrs ................. mins 2 secs hrs ................. mins 3 mins hrs ................. mins I want to add up the hours secs mins for each item..for example (from the above sample): ev...

Static Range, Dynamic Chart Data
I have read some great tips on making my chart dynamic that involv changing the range. The chart I would like to create is a 12 month lin chart. I want the chart to always be 12 months in length, but the poin to simply not be plotted if the value of the cell "blank". In othe words, stop the line short of the end of the plot area. The 12 months of charted cells have a formula lik =IF(A1=0,"",SUM(A1:A6)). So you see a blank cell if A1 is 0. But th chart shows this as a zero value. If I delete the contents the char does what I would like. Is there a way to simply change the ...

Keeping data without losing Formula's
I have a worksheet (named monthly) with a column of data under a certain month (which will change each time data is entered - stocktake). However this column needs to be edited each month and has formula's in it so it will work (not always the same data in the column). I decided to put this data into a yearly sheet under the particular month. The only way I can do it at the moment is to copy and paste special. How do I (or is there a way to) put this data in a sheet that has all the months but under the month that is signified. In other words I don't want formula's in the yearl...

lotro gold | lord of the ring online | wow | buy /sell #2
http://www.wowmmocom.com you can buy the cheapest lotro gold in our website http://www.wowmmocom.com,we'll provid you the reliable and instant delivery our msn: julieook@hotmail.com website: http://www.wowmmocom.com ...

Excel VBA / Data Sorting / Maniputaltion
i have a long list, which i imported from other data base. The problem is: 1. In each cell, besides data (data is in alphabates) there are som numeric characters which i dont want . How can i get rid of all those unwanted numbers from data, from all th list? 2. The data is in every second row, ie. one row is empty. How can i Delete those empty/blank rows from the list -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com 1. I think we will need to see a sample of your data 2. Sort the data -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I am sending the sample data file... ...

Get paid while you get online!!

Converting Outlook files #2
Hi, In a magazine article that I read, it said that when moving from Outlook 2002 or earlier to Outlook 2003, you should convert the file to the new format that is found in 2003, but how can I do that BTW. I don't want to loose all of the documents and setting that are already associated with the current file -- Thank you in Advance Merci a l'Avance Martin In Outlook 2003, File->New->Outlook Data File->Type->Personal Folders File. Do not select the 97-2002 format. Then drag and drop your folders from the old to the new. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post...

using the $ to lock formulas
We are using the $ to lock the formula but when columns are inserted the formula still changes. How do we correct this? Thank you for any assistance you can give. Hi one way would be to use something like INDIRECT("A1") to always refer to cell A1. Note: copying this formula won't change the cell reference -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany frankmlr wrote: > We are using the $ to lock the formula but when columns > are inserted the formula still changes. How do we correct > this? > > > Thank you for any assistance you can give. One way: =I...