getting a sumif statement to work across multiple files

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way to get a sumif statement to wor
across different files.

Currently I have three files, one for currency conversions, one fo
items purchased for specific accounts, and third the cover shee
listing balances for all the accounts.

The cover sheet has a sumif statement linking once to the currenc
conversion file and once to the items purchased file, for differen
items. When I do this however, it gives me a '#VALUE' response. As soo
as I open the file, it links properly, but once I close it the erro
pops up. Also, if I combine the three spreadsheets into one it works
The reason I don't want to combine all items into one is because th
person using this spreadsheet only needs to see the one sheet to d
their task.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this, it would be greatl
appreciated

--
guruma
guruman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1592

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

"guruman" <guruman.1g91gn@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote...
>I was wondering if there was a way to get a sumif statement to work
>across different files.
> . . . When I do this however, it gives me a '#VALUE' response. As soon
>as I open the file, it links properly, but once I close it the error
>pops up. . . .

SUMIF accepts only range references as 1st and optionally 3rd arguments.
Ranges, as far as Excel is concerned, exist only in open files. References
to what would be ranges in other files were those files open are returned as
arrays when those files are closed.

Your only option is to replace *all* SUMIF (and COUNTIF) calls with
equivalent SUMPRODUCT calls. For example, replace

=SUMIF('C:\foo\[bar.xls]X'!A1:A10,"X",'C:\foo\[bar.xls]X'!B1:B10)

with

=SUMPRODUCT(--('C:\foo\[bar.xls]X'!A1:A10="X"),'C:\foo\[bar.xls]X'!B1:B10)

0
hrlngrv (1990)
11/25/2004 1:32:34 AM
Hi,

I guess I dont fully understand the sumproduct formula.
Right now I have combined a fund code 'WORLD' with a currency 'CAD' in
column A, then in column B has the amount of the transaction.

If I want to sum if the item equals 'WORLDCAD' how am i to do it?

=SUMPRODUCT('C:\foo\[bar.xls]X'!A1:A10="WORLDCAD"),'C:\foo\[bar.xls]X'!B1:B10)

this is just pulling 0's for me right now.

Thanks again.

--
guruman
guruman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15928

minor changes to what you had - more parenthesis and a *

=SUMPRODUCT(('C:\foo\[bar.xls]X'!A1:A10="WORLDCAD")*('C:\foo\[bar.xls]X'!B1:B10)

--
duan

duane's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1162
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=32028

see also

duane

duane's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=11624
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=320286

XML serialization , validating against multiple schemas
Hi My web service receives an object of type say MyObject. I want to serialize this object,and then validate the xml against the main xsd. When validation happens, it should also validate against the included schema. The main schema includes one more schema and the actual types are described in the included schema. eg., <xs:schema xmlns:t="http://myschemas/base" xmlns=""> <xs:import schemaLocation="base.xsd" /> <xs:element name="MyObject"> <xs:complexType> <xs:sequence minOccurs="0"> <xs:element name=&...

How do I import a WORD file into EXCEL? #2
I'd like to import a WORD table to Excel but when I go to "Select Data Source", only other EXCEL files show, not my WORD files but the Help function indicates that all files should be showing. I've selected "Text Files" from the Data Source; I've tried "All File Types" with no luck. Anybody have a clue for me? ..signed, an Excel Idiot......thanks! File>open and select all files or copy and paste -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "MauiMama" <MauiMama@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:27741FDC-23BA-478D-98AC-21760...

IIf Statement in Query Criteria 12-11-09
I have the following code in a query: SELECT qryPointsWithDropOffDates.EMPLOYEEID, qryPointsWithDropOffDates.SSN, qryPointsWithDropOffDates.NAME, qryDisciplineNoticesReprint.LASTINCIDENTDATE, qryPointsWithDropOffDates.INCIDENTDATE, qryPointsWithDropOffDates.TYPESHORT, qryPointsWithDropOffDates.POINTVALUE FROM qryDisciplineNoticesReprint INNER JOIN qryPointsWithDropOffDates ON qryDisciplineNoticesReprint.SSN=qryPointsWithDropOffDates.SSN WHERE (((qryPointsWithDropOffDates.INCIDENTDATE) Between [qryDisciplineNoticesReprint.CALCDATE] And [qryDisciplineNoticesReprint.LASTINCIDENTD...

Conditional linked files
Hi, I have two files (a master and a detail) in which I pull through a column from the detail to the master, using "=[Detail.xls]Sheet1!$A$2" However I would like to configure the spreadsheets so that only data which meets a condition is pulled in the master, in other words using pseudo code as follows. If [link] in detail.xls = yes then display in master. I realise that the condition statement will probably need to sit in the master file but have no idea how this is done or whether possible at all. Any ideas? Mark -- madiba --------------------------------------------------...

Same file exists when I run Optimizer
Dear Sir/Madam, While I was running the Optimizer to utilize free space I met a error message during moving the files C:\exchsrvr\imcdata into D:\exchsrver\imcdata " There is the same file, ...., in the destination.". But I could see for sure that there was No files in the destination. Could you let me know how to fix it? Thanks a lot in advance. KC "�̱�ö" <kclee@jcsworld.com> wrote: >While I was running the Optimizer to utilize free space I met a error >message during moving the files C:\exchsrvr\imcdata into >D:\exchsrver\imcdata " There is...

A Crystal Beginner

Keeping Sent Items in sync across two PCs
I asked this question a few days ago in the microsoft.public.outlook.general forum but didn't get any replies, so I thought I'd try here instead... I have two computers, and both use Outlook 2000 for email. I don not use an Exchange server - email is by POP3/SMTP. Both computers collect the same email by POP3, and are set up to leave messages on the server for 30 days so nothing is missed on either PC. This works well, but the only problem is that when I send an email, it is only in the Sent Items fold of the PC that I used to send the email. Is there a way to 'copy' group...

file is locked does not appear in Excel if file already open by an
We have shared files on a network drive. When a file is open by one user, and a second user opens the file we want them to recieve <filename> is locked for editing message and open the file read only. This works great for some users, but we have several users that can open the file (even if someone is already in it) and they do not get the prompt and can edit the workbook. Is there a setting that would turn this off for some users and not others in excel? Hello Leslie, You could try sharing the workbook. With the Excel workbook open, choose Tools from the menu. Choose Share W...

I can not open doc file attachments from outlook express 6.0
I can not open doc file attachments in outlook express 6.0 Error message - There is not enough memory to open file All other attachments eg: jpeg etc are fine I have already increased my paging memory. >-----Original Message----- >I can not open doc file attachments in outlook express 6.0 >Error message - There is not enough memory to open file >All other attachments eg: jpeg etc are fine=20 >I have already increased my paging memory. >. > These Newsgroups address Office Outlook issues. Outlook Express gurus hang out here: http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/def...

Get paid while you get online!!

Converting Outlook files #2
Hi, In a magazine article that I read, it said that when moving from Outlook 2002 or earlier to Outlook 2003, you should convert the file to the new format that is found in 2003, but how can I do that BTW. I don't want to loose all of the documents and setting that are already associated with the current file -- Thank you in Advance Merci a l'Avance Martin In Outlook 2003, File->New->Outlook Data File->Type->Personal Folders File. Do not select the 97-2002 format. Then drag and drop your folders from the old to the new. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post...

Stupid Junk Filter Doesn't Work
I have oulook 2002 (xp). The stupid junk filter doesn't work and I can't figure out how to make it move junk mail to my deleted items so that i don't have to look at them in my inbox. Anyone have any suggestions? Upgrade to 2003. "Christy" <charrison@loanwhiz.com> wrote in message news:63de01c40155$1c4d1c40$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I have oulook 2002 (xp). The stupid junk filter doesn't > work and I can't figure out how to make it move junk mail > to my deleted items so that i don't have to look at them > in my inbox. > > Anyone h...

Spreadsheet getting corrupted

Unzip Files
How do I unzip files contained in an email using Windows Office 2000? You have to download the pkzip app, or an equivalent eg winzip, from one of the shareware sites http://www.winzip.com/ eg David "Rita" <coolbird46@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:388519F6-8A1F-4661-952A-6BBDB9E78E5B@microsoft.com... > How do I unzip files contained in an email using Windows Office 2000? ...

Will Money work with other currencies?
I'm currently in the US and would like to purchase Money for use here, as well as in Southern Africa (mainly South Africa and Zimbabwe). Will it be able to configure with the currencies there and work properly? I have a small business involved in trade with multiple currencies and intend to use money to help me manage my finances. Money allows each account to be associated with a specific currency and it allows transfers from an account in one currency to an account in another currency to be assigned a conversion. That having been said, Money does not make dealing with multiple cur...

Intersting issue regarding msg files
I have a client using Outlook 2003. Scenario: 1. Client creates a message (default format is HTML) and saves it as a draft. 2. Client then drags and drops message from draft folder into a network location. File has .msg extension. 3. Another user then double clicks on the msg file, and makes some live changes to it and then clicks SEND 4. Message is sent but none of the changes were made. The client used to do this with Outlook Express and never had a problem. Now that they are using Outlook 2003 this problem has surfaced. Any ideas? TIA KIWI ...

Increasing the number of files as recent files
Hello When I open file menu, I get the last 4 files I have previously openned. Is there a way to increase the number of recent files I have openned before? Thanks in advance. Hamed... Hi Hamed, You can go up to 9 entries in Excel 2000. Tools, Options, General, [x] recently used files list: -- 9 -- entries. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "Hamed" <hamedarab@hotmail.com> wrote ... > When I op...

Checking specific text string in excel files stored in a folder
Hi, I need to write a code that can do the following: 1) prompt user to select a particular folder 2) search for a particular text string, for e.g., ABCD in all the excel files in that folder (the number of files in the folder will vary and so does the names of the files). Is it possible to specify the string that we want to search on the fly when macro is run? 3) create a simple report that contains the filename in one column and yes / no in the second column that tell me which file names contain that keyword (it will be great if the path of the file can be recorded in the 3rd colum...