Generate a random list

I am trying to achieve the following. Column A has a list of names. I
would like to randomly assign a letter to each name in column B  ,
however as column a is a variable the list size will vary.
Any help is most appreciated

0
myxmaster (1)
5/20/2007 4:21:12 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Let's start with using an out-of-the-way location of your sheet to set up
the alphabet.

Say in Z1 to Z26, you enter the alphabet.
In Y1, enter this formula:
=Rand()
And copy it down to Y26.

With your list starting in A1, enter this formula in B1:

=INDEX(Z$1:Z$26,RANK(Y1,Y$1:Y$26))

I don't see where the length of your list is a problem.

Just copy the formula down Column B, as far as there are names in Column A.

Now, each time you hit <F9>, you'll get a new random letter display in
Column B, next to the name list in Column A.

If you wish, you can copy *THIS* formula down Column B, past the row that
contains the last name in Column A, and it will cause Column B to remain
blank until a name is added to Column A:

=IF(A1="","",INDEX(Z$1:Z$26,RANK(Y1,Y$1:Y$26)))

--
HTH,

RD

<myxmaster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to achieve the following. Column A has a list of names. I
> would like to randomly assign a letter to each name in column B  ,
> however as column a is a variable the list size will vary.
> Any help is most appreciated

0
ragdyer1 (4060)

ExcelReport
Please access http://www.ljzsoft.com ExcelReport is a report generator to generate reports in Microsoft Excel format. If you know how to use Excel and write SQL statements, you can use ExcelReport to create all kinds of reports as you need. Furthermore, with one time configuration, you can easily build periodic reports such as daily, weekly, monthly and annual reports. ...

Global Address List #43
Hi: Posted earlier but was not clear on what I was trying to accomplish. I am tasked with creating a custom Global Address List that all employees can access and add to from both internally and through OWA. It also needs to behave in the same fashion as the default GAL. That is, when I go to address an email, I can simply begin typing in the TO: field and it will query the list. One other requirement would be that when a user goes to save a Vcard, it would default to this custom list rather than their local contact list. Is this possible? Thanks ...

Dynamically generating email as html from a template
Would anyone know of an article/information detailing the creation of templates in word that can be used to create word documents by merging data to be saved as html to be included as the body of an email in outlook. .... or another method of dynamically creating emails in outlook based on a template. Thanx for the Advice Have you looked at Word's mail merge feature? That's exactly what it = does. See http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/startletter.htm=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Us...

Preventive Maintenance, multiple call generation 1 generate to pr.
need to be able to have preventive maintenance generate a call for each day in a month when running the generate routine. Rather than having to create each one individually. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/...

Random assignment
I have three tables CREATE TABLE [dbo].[STAFF]( [StaffKEY] [int] NOT NULL, [StaffName] [varchar](17) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NOT NULL, ) ON [PRIMARY] CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Clients]( [ClientKEY] [int] not NULL, [ClientName] [varchar](17) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NOT NULL, ) ON [PRIMARY] CREATE TABLE [dbo].[STAFF_Collections]( [CLIENTKEY] [int] NULL, [StaffName] [varchar](17) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NOT NULL, [Staffkey] [int] NULL ) ON [PRIMARY] Sample data Staff: 303, 'Paul Newman' 405, 'Jane Fonda' 605,&#...

PROVEN SYSTEM TO GENERATE CASH
Hi friends, I think it be a very promising program .... the great thing about it is they market it for you! Easy, once you join all of this happens without you lifting a finger! You automatically received your replicated Unique URL (personal web site) You automatically have 150,000+ emails sent to promote your web site You automatically have people (just like you) visit your web site You automatically have welcome emails sent to your new prospects You automatically have 10 days of follow-up (drip) emails sent to your new prospects The System automatically processes the new member when they...

Upgrading to IE 8
I just went to a website that said they don't support IE6 anymore. Assume I'll be getting this answer more and more. If I upgrade from IE 6 to IE8 will I get the terrible favorites view rather than the IE6 I am have. IE8 Favorites drive me nuts when I try to save something in that I have to go though the "whole" list of folders rather than be able to zero in on a specific folder. Thanks ! For Internet Explorer questions not pertaining to Outlook Express, please post to one of the following: IE6 Specific Newsgroup: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microso...

Outlook Error From Distribution List
When I try to open a distribution list in microsoft outlook 2003 I get the message: "Can't open this item. There is not enough memory on the Microsfot Exchange Server computer to perform the operation. Contact your system administrator." There is plenty of memory on the Exchange Server. How do I remedy this. ...

Distribution List #24
When I try to mail something to a distribution list, I get "an unexpected error has occured". I can email anyone on the list but can not use the list itself. I have deleted it and redid it but that doesnt work. I am running XP, SP1 Outlook 2003. Any idea what the problem is? Do you use the auto-suggestion/complete feature? If yes, try removing the personal distribution list from the nickname file to see if it helps. Next thing I would try is... 1) Run the inbox repair tool (scanpst.exe) against your *.pst file 2) Do a detect and repair of Office 2003 "Duck" <d...

vs2005 xsd.exe: Can it generate different files?
Is there an option to get the vs2005 xsd.exe tool to generate seperate files for each class that it generates? It would be much easier from a maintenance standpoint than one big giant file for my classes. Thanks for any help Matt MattBell wrote: > Is there an option to get the vs2005 xsd.exe tool to generate seperate files > for each class that it generates? I had a look at the output of xsd.exe /help but there is no option/setting mentioned. -- Martin Honnen --- MVP XML http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/ ...

Contact dropdown lists
Why doesn't Outlook let you add new fields to the phone dropdown list, change the name of standard fields, or create new fields that act like phone fields. -- Rich Because they didn't program it that way. :) -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM Poll: What version o...

to generate only table names but not their schema in the database
My replication on multiple servers failed. So i want to know which articles are published from the daabase. i wish to generate only articles that are there in the database, but not their schema or column names. how to do this through ms visio ...

Auto-generate product ID
Is there a way to auto-generate product ID? Or is there any third party addons that does that? Better yet would be a way to auto-generate a barcode for each item "Raymond" <Raymond@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F1EF7ACB-8D15-4527-A8C7-53C9F8FD6906@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to auto-generate product ID? Or is there any third party > addons that does that? Raymond, We offer AutoGen for this purpose. Barcode 128A is the default for new item adds. For more information contact your RMS reseller or visit: http://www.digitalretailer.com/rmsaddin...

Delete drop down list
I see instructions for creating drop down lists, but not for deleting them. I have a list that is no longer useful and would like to delete it from the worksheet (To clarify: I am talking about removing the list from the list of list names that appears when using the F3 key) Thank you -- MZ Select the range. From menu Data>Validation>Select 'Any value' OR If you dont have data in those cells from menu Edit>Clear>All -- Jacob "MZ" wrote: > I see instructions for creating drop down lists, but not for deleting them. I > have a l...

Convert date list into a "calendar view"
Hi, I have got a list of dates. And I wonder how can I plot all the dates into a more calendar and "visual" view. ie : project : event1 date, event 2 date, event 3 date.. project 1 : 01/01/2000 01/02/2000 10/06/2000 project 2 : 13/02/2000 14/02/2000 15/06/2000 ..... Thanks in advance, AL. ...

Updated ISV list?
Is there an up to date ISV list out there. The one on the partner site says it is from Febuary. Here is the latest list http://members.microsoft.com/partner/premium/solutions/business/crm/isv_information.aspx dated 6/3/04 -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions/Community/CRMFaqLanding.aspx "Jake Horn" <jhorn@no_order4chaos_spam.com> wrote in message news:uIq9WFrbEHA.3864@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Is there an up to date ISV list out there. The one on the partner site says > it is from Febuary. > > > ...

Problem in List control
Hi All, I am having few difficulties in handling list ctrl which are as follows 1. Our requirement is to display images as thumbnail view with the text underneath the image. We are using CListCtrl with ICON option and using imgaelist for display of images. Images could be of any number. Problem : A border should be drawn around the item if its selected. Size of the border should be same of size. We are using GetItemRect() to get the rect and drawing the border. But the border is not coming as size. Rect size varies depends on the Text length. Is there any way t...

show and hide a drop down list
I have a drop down list in my sheet. Based on what is chosen there, I'd like to be able to show or hide another drop down based on the chioce of the first one. Is this possible? Thanks heck out these sties... http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal13.html and http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal11.html by Debra Dalgleish -- Hope this helps. If it does, please click the Yes button. Thanks in advance for your feedback. Gary Brown "usernameandpassword" wrote: > I have a drop down list in my sheet. Based on what is chosen there, I'd like &g...

Auto Generate Serial Numbers for Bill of Materials
Hi! We have a partner in Australia who has some issues with the Serial Number Masks for Finished Goods in Inventory. Currently Bill of Materials functions this way: If the customer creates 20 finished products which tracks Serial Numbers. The user has to manually enter the 20 serial numbers into Assembly Entry. Even though the Finished product has been setup with a Serial Mask, there is no option to Auto Generate Serial Numbers. He would like to suggest that there should be an auto generate serial number function also for the finished goods in Bill of Materials. Thanks, ---------...

Distribution Lists #24
I have four distribution lists in Contacts. When someone emails me and asks to be put on a list, I add them to Contacts, then go open that list, click on "Select Members" and add that person. It works , but seems a bit labour-intensive. Is there a way of adding a contact to an existing list from within that person's contact details? I can make a _new_ distribution list from the "Actions" menu, but surely I should be able to add the person to an existing list? Am I missing something obvious? TIA paul You can add a new contact from within a distribution list ...

Using commas in "Value List" list boxes
I am trying to add a column that contains a comma to a 'value list' list box. I have a patient name (Last, first MI) column and a patient ID column (among others). I have my Row Source Type set to Value List and the number of columns correct, column widths etc. all correct, but when I try and do this: lstbox.AddItem "TreatmentId;LastName, FirstName MI;PatientId" The help documentation shows that the delimeter should be the ; not comma's, however instead of getting the name all in one column, it is being placed in two separate columns (because of the comma... it is...

how to generate a range of number
Howdy folks, I would like to know how to generate a range of number (for example: 10000 to 19999) in excel without typing them in each number into each cell one by one. Your help would boot up my business significantly. Gracias, Vito Corleone, President Check out the Edit|Fill, Series options. If you want the numbers to go down a column, make sure you click the Columns choice. tj "Vito Corleone" wrote: > Howdy folks, > > I would like to know how to generate a range of number > (for example: 10000 to 19999) in excel without typing them > in each number int...

working with named lists
Hey guys, Im currently working with named lists and through vba i need to go and find on what row the list starts can Someone help me out ? Greatly apreciated Alexandre Named Ranges? msgbox worksheets("sheet1").range("Mynamehere").address 'or .row If you work with names, do yourself a favor and get a copy of Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and Matthew Henson) Name Manager: You can find it at: NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp "Alexandre (www.pointnetsolutions.com)" wrote: > > Hey guys, > > Im currently wor...

Exchange 2003: Force distribution list to send out emails from distribution list address?
Hi As mentioned in subject...is there any way to force distribution list to send out e-mails from distribution list address "on behalf" user email. (like for example googlegroups is working atm). We are having problems with few lists that has external members in it because "externalserver" is denying "external.com" emails from other servers than "externalserver". Thank you Erkki Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice BizTalk: Writing and using a custom referenced functoid. http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutoria...