General Novice Questions (Protection, Format)

I have created a spreadsheet and have restricted a row and footing row
(totals) from being changed by using the "format cells / protection"
feature.  I have left all the data entry rows
unprotected so that the entry people can make changes.  These entry
rows have columns with specfics formats like Date, Currency, etc and I
make it all look nice with the grid feature. Finally,
I set "Tools /Protection/ Protect sheet" to active the protected
cells.

The problem is how can the user Insert new rows?
To get around this, I created enough rows so that the user has the
space they need (50 rows) to accomodate the necessary entries.  The
new problem is that if the user forgets to make any entry they have to
Insert which they cannot do because of the protection. So, to get
around this they can drag the lower existing data rows down, but then
the opening they create loses the format that I set for that column
and the nice grid I put in disappears in those rows?

Any tips?

Thanks

0
ApexData (8)
5/10/2008 3:42:36 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Depending on your version of Excel, you may have this option....

From the Excel Main Menu:
Allow:
....Check: Insert rows
....Check: Format rows
Set the Password
Click [OK]

Now the users will be able to insert rows
and those rows will inherit the format
from the row above.

Another alternative is to put
the total row ABOVE the data.

Is that something you can work with?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"Greg" <ApexData@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have created a spreadsheet and have restricted a row and footing row
> (totals) from being changed by using the "format cells / protection"
> feature.  I have left all the data entry rows
> unprotected so that the entry people can make changes.  These entry
> rows have columns with specfics formats like Date, Currency, etc and I
> make it all look nice with the grid feature. Finally,
> I set "Tools /Protection/ Protect sheet" to active the protected
> cells.
>
> The problem is how can the user Insert new rows?
> To get around this, I created enough rows so that the user has the
> space they need (50 rows) to accomodate the necessary entries.  The
> new problem is that if the user forgets to make any entry they have to
> Insert which they cannot do because of the protection. So, to get
> around this they can drag the lower existing data rows down, but then
> the opening they create loses the format that I set for that column
> and the nice grid I put in disappears in those rows?
>
> Any tips?
>
> Thanks

Greg,

Once the worksheet is protected, as you know, inserting is disallowed.  Drag-moving is
allowed, but should not be used if there are formulas in the worksheet, as it's possible
that the formulas will change as a result of the move.  Drag-moving is a design tool, not a
data entry tool.

The best way would be to have a macro available for the user.  It would unprotect the sheet,
insert the new row (perhaps where the active cell is currently), then re--protect the sheet.
The macro could be invoked by a button, a keyboard shortcut, or even a new menu item.  You'd
probably also want a macro to remove a row, in the event that a user adds a row, then later
doesn't want it.

We can write the macro for you if you're able to put a macro in your sheet.  You can bone up
on how to work with macros it at www.mcgimpsey.com if you're interested.  Post back for the
macro code.
--
Regards from Virginia Beach,

Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"Greg" <ApexData@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have created a spreadsheet and have restricted a row and footing row
> (totals) from being changed by using the "format cells / protection"
> feature.  I have left all the data entry rows
> unprotected so that the entry people can make changes.  These entry
> rows have columns with specfics formats like Date, Currency, etc and I
> make it all look nice with the grid feature. Finally,
> I set "Tools /Protection/ Protect sheet" to active the protected
> cells.
>
> The problem is how can the user Insert new rows?
> To get around this, I created enough rows so that the user has the
> space they need (50 rows) to accomodate the necessary entries.  The
> new problem is that if the user forgets to make any entry they have to
> Insert which they cannot do because of the protection. So, to get
> around this they can drag the lower existing data rows down, but then
> the opening they create loses the format that I set for that column
> and the nice grid I put in disappears in those rows?
>
> Any tips?
>
> Thanks

0
someone798 (944)
5/10/2008 4:20:14 PM
I have programmed with MS Access frequently and am familiar with VBA.
Can you give sample code for a button to Add and one for Del and how
to go about it.
I think once I see it, I'll be on the way to getting this
accomplished.

Thanks Again
Greg

On May 10, 12:20=A0pm, "Earl Kiosterud" <some...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> Greg,
>
> Once the worksheet is protected, as you know, inserting is disallowed. =A0=
Drag-moving is
> allowed, but should not be used if there are formulas in the worksheet, as=
 it's possible
> that the formulas will change as a result of the move. =A0Drag-moving is a=
 design tool, not a
> data entry tool.
>
> The best way would be to have a macro available for the user. =A0It would =
unprotect the sheet,
> insert the new row (perhaps where the active cell is currently), then re--=
protect the sheet.
> The macro could be invoked by a button, a keyboard shortcut, or even a new=
 menu item. =A0You'd
> probably also want a macro to remove a row, in the event that a user adds =
a row, then later
> doesn't want it.
>
> We can write the macro for you if you're able to put a macro in your sheet=
.. =A0You can bone up
> on how to work with macros it atwww.mcgimpsey.comif you're interested. =A0=
Post back for the

eg" <ApexD...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I have created a spreadsheet and have restricted a row and footing row
> > (totals) from being changed by using the "format cells / protection"
> > feature. =A0I have left all the data entry rows
> > unprotected so that the entry people can make changes. =A0These entry
> > rows have columns with specfics formats like Date, Currency, etc and I
> > make it all look nice with the grid feature. Finally,
> > I set "Tools /Protection/ Protect sheet" to active the protected
> > cells.
>
> > The problem is how can the user Insert new rows?
> > To get around this, I created enough rows so that the user has the
> > space they need (50 rows) to accomodate the necessary entries. =A0The
> > new problem is that if the user forgets to make any entry they have to
> > Insert which they cannot do because of the protection. So, to get
> > around this they can drag the lower existing data rows down, but then
> > the opening they create loses the format that I set for that column
> > and the nice grid I put in disappears in those rows?
>
> > Any tips?
>
> > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

ApexData (8)
5/10/2008 5:14:52 PM
I'm using MS EXCEL 2000
0
ApexData (8)
5/10/2008 5:16:04 PM
I figured out how to create Add / Del buttons and tied this code to
it.
It seems to be working fine.  Anyone recognize any problems or
oversights ?

Thanks
Greg

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    Me.Unprotect
    Rows(ActiveCell.Row).Delete
    Me.Protect
End Sub

Private Sub CommandButton2_Click()
    Me.Unprotect
    Rows(ActiveCell.Row).Insert
    Me.Protect
End Sub
0
ApexData (8)
5/10/2008 6:20:31 PM
Greg,

Here are the macros. Put them in a regular module, and assign them to keyboard shortcuts, if
desired (Tools - Macros - Macros - Options).  Or put a buttons on the sheet (drawing
toolbar), and assign them to the macros.

Sub InsertRow()
If ActiveCell.Locked = True Then
  MsgBox "You can't insert a row here", vbOKOnly, ""
  Exit Sub
  End If
ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="aa"
ActiveCell.EntireRow.Insert
ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="aa"
End Sub

Sub DeleteRow()
If ActiveCell.Locked = True Then
  MsgBox "You can't remove a row here", vbOKOnly, ""
  Exit Sub
  End If
ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="aa"
ActiveCell.EntireRow.Delete
ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="aa"
End Sub

These routines will allow inserting/deleting rows based on the active cell being protected.
If there are other cells in the sheet that are unprotected, they'll allow
inserting/deleting, which is undesirable.  If there are such other cells, we'll need another
means of checking.  Post back if that's the case.

If you're not using passwords in your sheet protection, remove the Password:="aa" part.
--

On May 10, 12:20 pm, "Earl Kiosterud" <some...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> Greg,
>
> Once the worksheet is protected, as you know, inserting is disallowed. Drag-moving is
> allowed, but should not be used if there are formulas in the worksheet, as it's possible
> that the formulas will change as a result of the move. Drag-moving is a design tool, not a
> data entry tool.
>
> The best way would be to have a macro available for the user. It would unprotect the
> sheet,
> insert the new row (perhaps where the active cell is currently), then re--protect the
> sheet.
> The macro could be invoked by a button, a keyboard shortcut, or even a new menu item.
> You'd
> probably also want a macro to remove a row, in the event that a user adds a row, then
> later
> doesn't want it.
>
> We can write the macro for you if you're able to put a macro in your sheet. You can bone
> up
> on how to work with macros it atwww.mcgimpsey.comif you're interested. Post back for the
> macro code.
> --
> Regards from Virginia Beach,
>
> Earl Kiosterudwww.smokeylake.com
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------"Greg"
> <ApexD...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I have created a spreadsheet and have restricted a row and footing row
> > (totals) from being changed by using the "format cells / protection"
> > feature. I have left all the data entry rows
> > unprotected so that the entry people can make changes. These entry
> > rows have columns with specfics formats like Date, Currency, etc and I
> > make it all look nice with the grid feature. Finally,
> > I set "Tools /Protection/ Protect sheet" to active the protected
> > cells.
>
> > The problem is how can the user Insert new rows?
> > To get around this, I created enough rows so that the user has the
> > space they need (50 rows) to accomodate the necessary entries. The
> > new problem is that if the user forgets to make any entry they have to
> > Insert which they cannot do because of the protection. So, to get
> > around this they can drag the lower existing data rows down, but then
> > the opening they create loses the format that I set for that column
> > and the nice grid I put in disappears in those rows?
>
> > Any tips?
>
> > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

someone798 (944)
5/10/2008 6:29:13 PM
Thanks Earl

This is what I came up with I had some additional issues that had to
be addressed:

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    'Insert Row Button
    If ActiveCell.Row > 6 And ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count >
ActiveCell.Row Then
        Me.Unprotect
        Rows(ActiveCell.Row).Insert
        Me.Protect
    Else
        Beep
    End If
End Sub

Private Sub CommandButton2_Click()
    'Delete Row Button
    If ActiveCell.Row > 6 And ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count >
ActiveCell.Row Then
       Me.Unprotect
       Rows(ActiveCell.Row).Delete
       Me.Protect
    Else
       Beep
    End If
End Sub

Thanks Again
Greg
0
ApexData (8)
5/10/2008 8:37:08 PM
Greg,

Looks good, except the UsedRange can get bloated.  When you've deleted rows, it still can
show a used range larger than it currently is.  Closing and reopening the workbook is the
usual way to reset it.  It sounds as though your records go to the bottom of your used
range, and there are no totals and other junk below them (your Access roots are showing!
:) ).  In that case it probably doesn't matter if anyone inserts or deletes rows beyond your
last record.
--

> Thanks Earl
>
> This is what I came up with I had some additional issues that had to
> be addressed:
>
> Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
>    'Insert Row Button
>    If ActiveCell.Row > 6 And ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count >
> ActiveCell.Row Then
>        Me.Unprotect
>        Rows(ActiveCell.Row).Insert
>        Me.Protect
>    Else
>        Beep
>    End If
> End Sub
>
> Private Sub CommandButton2_Click()
>    'Delete Row Button
>    If ActiveCell.Row > 6 And ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count >
> ActiveCell.Row Then
>       Me.Unprotect
>       Rows(ActiveCell.Row).Delete
>       Me.Protect
>    Else
>       Beep
>    End If
> End Sub
>

> Thanks Again
> Greg

0
someone798 (944)
5/11/2008 3:53:15 AM
Thanks Earl

Actually I do have totals at the bottom of the worksheet.  I guest I
could move them up to the top.
The problem now is that the range does expand causing the worksheet to
get larger than I would like.
Is there a way to lock in the totals row to the specific location (say
row50). O create some kind of restrictive
window.  Or do I need to build logic into my existing code to make the
adjustments somehow in response to the
button being pressed?

Thanks
Greg

On May 10, 11:53=A0pm, "Earl Kiosterud" <some...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> Greg,
>
> Looks good, except the UsedRange can get bloated. =A0When you've deleted r=
ows, it still can
> show a used range larger than it currently is. =A0Closing and reopening th=
e workbook is the
> usual way to reset it. =A0It sounds as though your records go to the botto=
m of your used
> range, and there are no totals and other junk below them (your Access root=
s are showing!
> :) ). =A0In that case it probably doesn't matter if anyone inserts or dele=
tes rows beyond your
> last record.
> --
> Regards from Virginia Beach,
>
> Earl Kiosterudwww.smokeylake.com
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------"Gr=
eg" <ApexD...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Thanks Earl
>
> > This is what I came up with I had some additional issues that had to
> > be addressed:
>
> > Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
> > =A0 =A0'Insert Row Button
> > =A0 =A0If ActiveCell.Row > 6 And ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count >
> > ActiveCell.Row Then
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Me.Unprotect
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Rows(ActiveCell.Row).Insert
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Me.Protect
> > =A0 =A0Else
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Beep
> > =A0 =A0End If
> > End Sub
>
> > Private Sub CommandButton2_Click()
> > =A0 =A0'Delete Row Button
> > =A0 =A0If ActiveCell.Row > 6 And ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count >
> > ActiveCell.Row Then
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 Me.Unprotect
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 Rows(ActiveCell.Row).Delete
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 Me.Protect
> > =A0 =A0Else
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 Beep
> > =A0 =A0End If
> > End Sub
>
> > Thanks Again
> > Greg- Hide quoted text -

ApexData (8)

Underline Button Missing from Formatting Toolbar
The formatting toolbar in my Excel 2003 has only two buttons, B & I for Bold and Italic. How do I get it to display the U for Underline button? Right click the toolbar; select Customize (at the bottom of popup menu) Open the Commands Tab; in The Categories box (to the left) select Edit In the right had window locate the Underline icon; carefully drag this (click on it, hold down left mouse button and move the mouse) to the Standard toolbar - drop the icon after the I (italic) OR learn to not use this archaic format which was invented for the typewriter (now a thing of the past); and...

Tabs and Controls
Hi All, I have created an app with a - FormView - 3 Dialogs - Each Dialogs have a List Control How to I get the I get a pointer to the List Control easier than this HWND myWindowHandle = (HWND)m_Tabpages[2]; HWND myHAdapterList = ::GetDlgItem(myWindowHandle,IDC_ADAPTER_LIST); CListCtrl* myAdapterList = (CListCtrl*)FromHandle(myHAdapterList); I am sure it is easy and equally sure i am a fool. Thanks, Iain New Zealand Iain William Wiseman wrote: > Hi All, > > I have created an app with a > > - FormView > - 3 Dialogs > - Each Dialogs have a List Control > >...

How to convert video to Apple iPod/iPhone video MP4 format?
You have an Apple iPod/iPhone and would like to watch your favorite movie using it? But you don't know how to convert your video files to iPod/iPhone compatible format? This Apple Mac Video Converter is just the software you need to solve this problem now. This easy-to-use yet powerful [b]Mac Video Converter[/b] enables you to convert your home video library to iPod/iPhone(MP4/h.264) format with a few mouse clicks. [b]Step 1: Download and install Apple Mac Video Converter[/b] [url=http://www.applemacvideoconverter.com/mac-video-converter.zip]Click here[/url] to download it. After the...

exhange server back up-restore question
We have Windows 2003 server with Domain Server. Echange 2000 Server We use regularly back up system for Exchange Server. But to restore for a special date for only one user what should we do? PS. Our back up file's size approx. 80 GB. You don't really have a choice unless you use a 3rd party utility like Quest Recovery Manager. Restore all the data and then Exmerge the specific items you want. I'd also suggest migrating to Exch 2003 if possible as your backup and recovery options are much improved. Nue "ilyas" <ilyas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

general question!
Hello there. Outlook XP in a networked environment. When viewing an email (that has an attachment)in the preview pane, I can see the attachment icon on that little header area between the list of emails and the previewed email. However, when I click away to an email that is a reply to a meeting request (that I sent out)and then click back on the attachment-email, in the information viewer the little attachment icon is no longer on the header. Obviously I can still tell if the email in question has an attachment from the information viewer. This is more annoying more than anything els...

Modal dialog box question #2
Hi, In my application, I have a modal dialog box, and I want that some of the commands from the main menu will be available. (all other events outside the dialog should be blocked - just like a regular modal dilaog). How do I do it ? Yoav. Modality is like pregnancy. Either the dialog box is modal, in which case you can't click the menus or it's modeless in which case you can click any menu item. I suggest you have two choices: 1) keep the dlg modal and place extra buttons on it to represent the commands. On click then pass the command message to the CMainFrame. 2) Make the ...

Excel Cell Formatting #3
How do I centeer a picture in an Excel cell? Hi you can't as such objects 'float' above the cells in Excel -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Tom Coffey" <Tom Coffey@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:8E7356E1-4318-42F3-B9C6-3D7EDFBBEEA1@microsoft.com... > How do I centeer a picture in an Excel cell? ...

formatting text as active hyperlinks
I have tried to format cells containing valid urls as hyperlinks. I can copy the format from a valid and active hyperlink; but when I paste it in the cell (I have tried pasting format), the contents look like a hyperlink, but the mouse cursor does not change when I hover over it, and I can't open the web site by clicking on it? Any ideas? -- dpimental ------------------------------------------------------------------------ dpimental's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14848 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26...

OWC10 spreadsheet component question
Hi everyone, I have a question regarding the insertion speed in the Office XP we component's spreadsheet component. I am creating an ASP.NET applicatio where I use the spreadsheet component. I was testing how fast th insertions take place in the component. Everything is happening locall over ASP.NET I did a simple test like so: I have a Worksheet object called sheet; Code ------------------- for (int i = 1; i < 2000; i++) { for (int j = 0; j < 20; j++) { sheet.Cells[i, j] = "test"; } } ------------------- This never finishes...or I never waited till...

Question from an Idiot
Yes, I think I've asked this before, but my brain has lost the information. Does anyone here use Outlook Express Quick Backup? If so, can you tell me if I can back up to a USB stick, and then carry the stick to another computer, restore the data, and use my OE data? I'll be traveling soon, and I need this ability. Thanks. -- ------------------------------------------ Jeffrey Needle jeff.needle@gmail.com ...

more of a thought question
Hello. This post is more of a thought type posting to see what and how others manage a webapp that needs to be connected to the production db, a clone db for training, a clone for development, a clone for testing, you get the idea here. What concerns me is someone might think they are on the training db but actually on the production db. My first thought is to have some type of display in the header of the masterpage indicating which db the user is connected to (other then the production). Most, if not all of the above variations would be set up by someone in IT (most likely ...

More than 6 conditional Formats....VBA Coding Advise please
If I have a range of cells A1:M20 Column K has a validation list with 6 Options....Yes, No, W, X, Y, Z The conditional formatting is limited to 3 conditions. Can anyone provide code that would permit the colour of the cells in each row in the range A1 to M20 when the appropriate option is selected from the relevant cell in column K. I.E. I want Row range A1:M1 cells to change to say Yellow when "Yes" selected from the list in K1 ......or say red if "No" ( and other colours for W,X Y,Z) An example of the coding would be appreciated , if it's possible? Thanks ...

Question about virtual
Hi, when we use Wizard to create a new class. The destructor is generated as "virtual". Can you please explain why is that ? Will it be a problem if we remove virtual keyword ? thanks, You will need a virtual destructor if there is a chance that a child class could be deleted when it is casted to a parent class. class CMyWnd : public CWnd { public: CMyWnd() { m_pInt = new int[100]; } virtual ~CMyWnd() { delete [] m_pInt; } private: int *m_pInt; }; In the following situation: CMyWnd *pMyWnd = new CMyWnd(); CWnd *pWnd = pMyWnd; delete pWnd; //if the destructo...

Question on Investing performance calculation
How does Money calculate the Investing performance percentage that shows up in Investing/Investment Tools in Money 2006? While the percentages for Dow Jones and S&P match the newspaper so I assume they are calculated as current price - beginning of year price divided by beginning of year price, that same calculation does not appear to be true for my own investments. I could even verify this a few days into the year, before any pruchases/expenses etc. showed up which could mask the numbers for me. Does anyone know? Thanks! ...

Signitures Question
I created several signitures using Word, Dreamweaver and writing my own HTML code. When selected in options and loaded, I get the logo but no text. The files are saved in the signiture folder. ...

General
I created a workbook with several worksheets that are protected and when it is opened it is to go to sheet1 and select cell A10. My problem is that when I open it not only is sheet1/A10 selected but a cell in sheet2 which causes half of each sheet to be visible. Now if I unprotect sheet2 the problem goes away but cells in the two sheets are linked and both need to be protected. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Carl, care to post the code you are using? maybe somebody can see why it is doing that -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Usin...

A question about CImage
in CDoc CImage m_pImg; in CView ::GlobalLock(HBITMAP(pDoc->m_img)); == NULL GetLastError(); > invalid handler before try to get the handle, I have initialized it successfully, and my OnDraw() can works well. Till I Know CImage is not a Predefined MS MFC Class, are you using some external Library!!! -- With Regards Alok Gupta Visit me at http://alok.bizhat.com "I think this will Help" "ckacka" <ckacka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B320B34E-4D86-4179-88AC-D6E6E08A5BDC@microsoft.com... > in CDoc > CImage ...

Macro to help update data from protected files
I need help in creating a macro. I have a master file X1 and it connects to 55 other files all password protected. When i open the Master file , it asks the protected fiel to be open to update the data, otherwise it gives error. Can someone help me create a macro which will update the data witout opening the protected fiels one by one. Thanks I don't think you'll find a macro that can do this. But what you could do is create a new workbook that opens each of those 55 other files (supplying the password) and then opens your real workbook. hamad.fatima@gmail.com wrote: > > I ...

Rounding question
I'm using Excel 2007 but 'save as' 97-2003 as colleagues have different versions. All number formats are set to 2 decimal places. I'm finding that percentage calculations are rounding up to 2 decimal places but when the result in currency is subtracted from another figure the sum is rounded down. This gives results such as 6 - 3 = 4. I'm sure there must be a simple answer but I can't find it. Hoping someone here knows, as checking all simple calcuations is getting ridiculous ! Carrie "Carrie" <pantscarolyn.smith2@ntlworld.com> w...

copy formatting?
Is there a way to copy and paste from a formatted set of cells, to an unformatted set and have the formatting copy/paste as well, so that column/row sizes adjust to be the same? Thanks Steven Shelton "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not!" --Thomas Jefferson Hi Steven With pastespecial you can also copy column width but not row height See the edit menu for PasteSpecial If you only want to copy a range to another place to view/print then you can try this Row and column width is working then http://www.rondebruin.nl/print.htm#n...

vbAdvance general dll problem
I want to create a plugin for an external application in VB6. To do this I create a regular dll, export the necessary functions and compile the dll. So far so good. The problem comes when I developed a second plugin (also in vb6 with vbAdvance) and try to load both in the external application. The first plugin is loaded fine, but the second fails with error 998 (ERROR_NOACCESS). I traced the problem to the code that starts the required vb stuff, in MRuntimeInit: ... pGetClass = GetProcAddress(hMod, "DllGetClassObject") If pGetClass Then CopyMemory pCall, InitDelegato...

Conditional Format in Combo box
Has anyone successfully set the backcolor of a combo box based on values? Thank you, Claudette You could use the After Update event to set the combo's backcolor based on the current value. You could either use a Select Case statment to identify the correct value, or with less code, you could add a column to your combo that would have the backcolor value in it and use that to set the back color. -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP "Claudette Hennessy" wrote: > Has anyone successfully set the backcolor of a combo box based on values? > Thank you, > Claudette ...

Questions on RDC over HTTP
I hosted my own mail server (Exchange 2003 Enterprise) at home. And I want to use RDC over Http feature. (ex. I can login to my Exchange inbox even though I am not inside my LAN and without using VPN) However, the setup is not quite successful because it kind of telling me that SSL is required for this feature. basically, can I run this feature without SSL? Thanks. The general answer is no. :-) You can setup your own CA for this purpose. -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples (if any) are subject to the terms...

Time question #2
when the user inputs data into cell C8 I want the current time to be displayed in cell D8, and remain there without changing value, so if the user inputs the number1 into cell C8 the time 17:00 is shown in cell D8, and from that moment on it does not change. Can this be done, if so any ideas?? Thanks It can be done using circular reference or code http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/timestamp.html -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "Anthony" <Anthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BBA371C7-550B-408B-B373-34AA1EF892D5@microsoft.com......

basic question
Hi, I have never used excel for math problems before and am having a little trouble with basic equations. I entered the eqn in the function (using the column names such as G1-G2 etc...) but now I'm a little lost. When I drag the equation down to fill in the rest of the column nothing happens. Is there an intermediate step I'm missing? Thank you!!! Tools>options>calculation and make sure it is set to automatic -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "M121385" <M121385@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB7CFE63-A301-4F3F-A723-4EAF201D3071@microsoft.co...