Functions in charts

Is is possible to use functions within charts (for example, if the
chart title changes based on the value in a cell)?  That way, if the
chart data changes, the title also changes to reflect that.
Any ideas?

0
MLThornton (28)
3/15/2007 5:17:53 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On Mar 15, 5:17 pm, "Matt" <MLThorn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is is possible to use functions within charts (for example, if the
> chart title changes based on the value in a cell)?  That way, if the
> chart data changes, the title also changes to reflect that.
> Any ideas?

Yes it is.  Full instructions are at <a href="http://
office.microsoft.com/en-gb/excel/HP052010891033.aspx">Microsoft's
support site</a>.

As far as I know, you can only use a link to a single cell as a chart
title, not a full formula with functions etc.  However, it would be
easy enough to use a worksheet cell to contain the formula you want,
and link the chart title to that.

0
strapping (2)
3/15/2007 6:57:51 PM
On Mar 15, 5:17 pm, "Matt" <MLThorn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is is possible to use functions within charts (for example, if the
> chart title changes based on the value in a cell)?  That way, if the
> chart data changes, the title also changes to reflect that.
> Any ideas?

Yes it is.  This is from Microsoft's support site:

To easily update a chart or axis title (titles in charts: Descriptive
text that is automatically aligned to an axis or centered at the top
of a chart.), label, or text box that you have added to a chart, you
can link it to a worksheet cell by creating a reference to that
worksheet cell. Changes that you make to the worksheet cell will
automatically appear in the chart.

On a chart sheet (chart sheet: A sheet in a workbook that contains
only a chart. A chart sheet is beneficial when you want to view a
chart or a PivotChart report separately from worksheet data or a
PivotTable report.) or in an embedded chart (embedded chart: A chart
that is placed on a worksheet rather than on a separate chart sheet.
Embedded charts are beneficial when you want to view or print a chart
or a PivotChart report with its source data or other information in a
worksheet.), click the title, label, or text box that you want to link
to a worksheet cell.

In the formula bar (formula bar: A bar at the top of the Excel window
that you use to enter or edit values or formulas in cells or charts.
Displays the constant value or formula stored in the active cell.),
type an equal sign (=).
Select the worksheet cell that contains the data or text that you want
to display in the chart.
If you want to type the reference to the worksheet cell, include the
sheet name followed by an exclamation point, for example, Sheet1!F2

Press ENTER.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

As far as I know, you can only use a link to a single cell as a chart
title, not a full formula with functions etc.  However, it would be
easy enough to use a worksheet cell to contain the formula you want,
and link the chart title to that.

0
strapping (2)

3 axis chart
Is it possible to create a 3 axis chart ? I want the bottom x axis to import names from a row on a spread sheet. The Y axis will contain the value of a score from the same sheet, 0 -100 in increments of 20. And a third axis on top of the chart to contain the 12 months of the year. Thank You You can have secondary axes on both the horizontal and vertical axes. First you need at least two series. Double click one and on the Axis tab, check the Secondary option. This usually gets you just a secondary Y axis. To mix and match your choices, right click the chart and choose Chart Options....

ROUND Function with other function
Hi, I have this formula: =IF(R8>0,CONCATENATE("+",R8),R8) and the results shows me for example: +11.6 but what I really want t show is +12. I've been trying to put the "Round" function at a few places in th formula but it doesn't work. The closest I got was with this formula: =ROUND(IF(R8>0,CONCATENATE("+",R8),R8),0) where it showed me 12, without the "+" sign before.... Can anyone help me ? Thank -- Outapi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Outapin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member...

Returning a range from an inner function
I have a range of data, which has had the DOLLAR() function performed on it. I would like to get the total of this range using the SUM() function. doing SUM(F1:F4) will not work, so I need to convert the data into values that will work. The VALUE() function is perfect for converting the data into values that will work for SUM(), but the formula SUM(VALUE(F1:F4)) does not work because VALUE() will not accept a range as a parameter (and also does not return a range). I need to perform the VALUE() function on each cell before submitting it to SUM(). There must be some way to do this, cons...

Range and mean on chart
I have the mean values on my chart in the form of a line graph, but would like the range (min and max) to be displayed as a line above and below each mean. How do you do this? NickyK Here's a link to a post on how to add horizontal lines to an XY chart. http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_horizontal_line.htm Kelly http://rocesstrends.com "NickyK" <NickyK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36244C13-8926-47B9-A955-2482E83DF403@microsoft.com... >I have the mean values on my chart in the form of a line graph, but would > like the range (min and max)...

JustifyString function problem
Hi, I'm using the "JustifyString" function (from Stephan Lebans) to right justify three columns in a ListBox. Two of them are working fine ... one's a simple number (long integer) and the other's currency. The third causes an Access 2003 crash! That third column is a long integer which is a link to the autonumber field in another table. Both tables are in the query as I need columns from both tables in the ListBox. If I change the JustifyString to reference the autonumber field in the other table, I still get an Access crash. I didn't review the Access er...

Change y-axis to category in a column chart
I am making charts for data that we took at the school where I teach. We polled seven grades in six different strands of questions. Their replies were 'Always', 'Frequently', 'Occasionally', and 'Never'. We translated these into 4, 3, 2, & 1 to get averages. I have a chart that shows the 42 averages as columns grouped by grades and a chart that shows the 42 averages grouped by strand. I'd like my column chart y-axis to show the words instead of 4, 3, 2, 1. I have read a little about dummy series and I don't understand it yet, but it seems to ...

automating functions
I am a complete novice at CRM 1.2, but want to be able to create, for example, a workflow process that will monitor the CSR's and the queues and automatically assign a new case to the least busy CSR. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Jim Please tell me what I would have to do and with what tools in order to create such a workflow process. "jmb" wrote: > I am a complete novice at CRM 1.2, but want to be able to create, for > example, a workflow process that will monitor the CSR's and the queues and > automatically assign a new case to the lea...

Returning a CHAR[] from a function
I have the following function that returns the path of where the program was run from. However I cant seem to return the butter as a CHAR. The code works if I use it in a procedure but not where I need to return the variable CHAR buffer. char CAutoRunDlg::GetProgramPath(void) { char buffer[_MAX_PATH]; //declares maimum path //opens window maximized //_getcwd(,)gets the current working directory // #include <direct.h> //needed for current working directory /* Get the current working directory: */ if( _getcwd( buffer, _MAX_PATH ) == NULL ) perror( "_getcwd error" )...

How to order chart in descending order of Freq?
I am using Access 2000-03. The graph is a subset to excel, but very close. I have a Access Graph Chart with the Row Source set to: "TRANSFORM Sum([Freq]) AS [SumOfFreq] SELECT [Personnel] FROM [Rept#704_Joint_Personnel] GROUP BY [Personnel] PIVOT [RP];" Currently, my graph order the personnel in Ascending order of Personnel. I want to now order it by Descending Order of Freq. In the query [Rept#704_Joint_Personnel], I have the following fields: a) Freq b) Personnel Can someone please help me here! Thank You, Gary I don't know how you'd have to modify your ...

Turning Off Error Reporting using API Functions and VB
We want to automatically turn off the error reporting options using Windows API functions for the following functions area Click on Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, the Advanced tab and Error Reporting (at the bottom of the screen), which launches the Error Reporting screen. Another way to get to that screen: Open My Computer, right-click on Properties, click on Advanced tab and Error Reporting. Any assistance would be welcome. It's not a program's call. It's the user's decision. --=20 -------------------------------------------------------------------------= --...

Complex functions
Hi All, Suppose you have a very complex and long function that is also subject to a condition, then you will/can have something like: =if(condition(complex function), complex function, other complex function) It can have more lines in the formula bar, so readability below 0 Kelvin. Is there a way to 'name' a function? =If(condition(myfunc = complex function), myfunc, other complex function) With kind regards, JP Yes you can put a formula into an Excel Name (the same as you can give a range an Excel Name. Very powerful it can be too. Do a Google fo...

excel chart in word
How do I paste an Excel 2007 chart into a Word document? First create the chart using the Insert tab. Then switch back to the Home tab Then click on the chart to Select it. Then just do the copy. Then go to Word and paste. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201001 "kdilly" wrote: > How do I paste an Excel 2007 chart into a Word document? ...

Match Function
Hi, I have put together a spreadsheet to find codes, states, descriptions. It finds the data by dates. Columns are: Dates, Codes, States, Descriptions If I put in a date it matches the code, state and description. My problem is that if I have 2 dates that are the same it will only match the first date it can find. What kind of formula do I need so that it will output the second or third date data. Thanks for your help. If you need a copy of the spreadsheet please let me know. How many rows of data do you have? -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Melanie" <Melanie@discussio...

fixing a maximum chart value
I am making line graphs by asp,I want the scaling to be off in the graphs.Here is an example: http://www.imlab.psu.edu/forest/gr.gif In this graph I want to have 30 on the left scale instead of 7. So in this case the lines will seem smaller and lower. Does anybody know how to do this? Thanks cenk -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com ...

If Function Function
okay. So I am trying to workout a formula to compute a commision earning. Basically, if X amount of new business is made, then X*Y (corresponding Commision rate percentage), but if new business =<X, then X*Y (Commision rate percentage that is true). Problem is, it's super confusing...anyone have any suggestions? See if this helps: http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/variablerate.html -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "aetejada" <aetejada@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA4E55F7-9435-4BB6-837A-416A59BB72A0@microsoft.com... > okay. So I am...

Outlook 2002 Change Password function
I want users to be able to change password from the Outlook Login Page, but it does noet seem to work. Outlook 2002 Sp1 and Windows Server 2003 (AD) and Exchange 2003 SP1 Important: Outlook client is not member of the domain... There are not many Microsoft Articles about this. Anyone? -- Regards, Menko den Ouden Netherlands Menko den Ouden schreef in deze nieuwsgroep op 23-6-2005 15:28: > I want users to be able to change password from the Outlook Login Page, but > it does noet seem to work. > > Outlook 2002 Sp1 and Windows Server 2003 (AD) and Exchange 2003 SP1 > ...

DateDiff function throwing error in Where clause
I have a set of queries that generate dates and want to use DateDiff to select those records with certain dates are greater than others. The following clause keeps giving me an incompatible data type error: WHERE DateDiff('d',[From date],[DatumStvoreni])>0 I have the exact expression in the SELECT clause and it show positive and negative integers just fine, but when I add this test, I get the error. There are no bad values in the dataset, I've looked, and when I export the DateDiff column to a temp table and run a query on that, it works fine. Only when I use t...

timing a function
Good Morning All, I've writen an MFC C++ application, under VC++6.0 . How can I check how much time it takes for a specific function to complete? I need to know how many miliseconds one of my function call takes. Thanks very much in advance, Dudu Arbel If your accuracy requirement is in ms - use GetTickCount. -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] http://www.voidnish.com http://blog.voidnish.com "dududuil" <dududuil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0167B90-33D2-4A4F-A73D-DC4EBEF81946@microsoft.com... > Good Morning All, > > I've writen an MFC C++ ...

Link chart axes' scale values to cells
Hello Everyone. I have some sort of a problem with linking chart axe (min and max values) to cell values in a worksheet. I am using th macro that I found in Mr Peltier' site: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AxisScaleLinkToSheet.html It worked just fine for a simple test I was doing.. BUT, I came up wit the idea of assigning to the cells (the cells that contain the scal params) some worksheet functions, to determine the values from a set o data. When I did this, the macro didn't work anymore. It didn't pop u any errors or such things, it just didn't adjust the chart anymo...

Charting question #2
I have two comlumns of numbers that I am plotting on an x-y chart. The Y axis column is calculated like this..... IF(B2,C3/A1,"") so that if no number is entered into B2 then nothing is displayed in the cell. The trouble is that when I define the series in the chart it plots correctly up to the last calculated number but then the line dives down to zero making the chart look stupid. How can I get the line on the chart to stop at the last calculated number? I don't want to have to enter numbers in the spreadsheet then "Fill Down" in order to advance the line (which I&...

Charts created in Excel 2003 are not showing up in excel 2007
I have several charts that are displayed as their on worksheets in excel 03 but don't show up in excel 07 how can i fix it so that these charts will display? "RLang07" wrote: > I have several charts that are displayed as their on worksheets in excel 03 > but don't show up in excel 07 how can i fix it so that these charts will > display? I had this exact problem when I upgraded from Excel 2003 to Excel 2007 on my Vista (Home Premium) system. I couldn't work out what the problem was and had given up trying to solve it... However, I somehow managed to fix...

non-functioning multiple Array formulas in a workbook
I have a workbook with used for forecasting. I use a template sheet for each forecast (all forecast sheets -54- are the same and contain sheet-level names). On each sheet I have a formula that counts the number of chargeable engagements (where the chargeable engagement is indicated by a "C" in the preceding column) and places the results in a cell with concatenated text. The 'chargeable designation' column is a named range. I can get the formula to work on only two of the worksheets. It can be any two sheets, but it will only work on two sheets maximum. I have tried a numbe...

C function prototype
Is that for Class/Object function prototype, I must define the function in header file or .cpp file. MyClass::functionA(); MyClass::functionB(); but for C function prototype, I don't have to define if it's put before the main() function the following is not needed - void stradd (char *s1, char *s2); void stradd (char *s1, int i); ========= #include <iostream> // cannot be iostream.h?? #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <comdef.h> #include <conio.h> #include <windows.h> // must need for SYSTEMTIME //must need C/C++ > General...

Widening Columns in Chart
Help. I am creating a chart that shows quantity (in whole numbers) for several different data sets per week in columns. The x axis is supposed to be in weekly intervals. If I do not include the cells with the weeks listed in my x axis labels field in the "Source Data", my columns look great - nice and wide, easy to see. Once I select my cells with my dates in them, the columns get very skinny. I tried changing the gap and the overlap, with no success. Help! How can I get my columns to look nice and wide, and still have my weeks listed in my x axis?? The time scale axis...

Embedding Excel charts in PowerPoint
I have an Excel spreadsheet that I update monthly with data. I also have a number of charts in the workbook that are linked to the data which update automatically when I enter additional data. The problem I am trying to solve is that when I embed the charts in PowerPoint each slide that contains a chart has to be edited individually when I add new data instead of being able to add the new data to one Excel data sheet. Another way to explain it is that I insert a Excel chart into a slide from the Excel file. I then go to a new slide and insert another chart and so on. I then ...