Function to indicate the amount of characters in a cell?

Trying to do a conversion of data into a flat file.  Using excel we have a
column called Project Description.

I want to run a function to ensure that the project descrption in each cell
does not exceed 70 characters.

Is there a function that I can use for this?

For example

A project for all to review

This title has 28 characters (counting from A to w), other than manual not
sure if this can be done

Thanks
0
ssciarrino (19)
3/27/2006 2:42:02 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Try this:

This function returns the number of characters in Cell A1
=LEN(A1)

This function returns up to 70 characters from cell A1
=LEFT(A1,70)

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"ssciarrino" wrote:

> Trying to do a conversion of data into a flat file.  Using excel we have a
> column called Project Description.
>
> I want to run a function to ensure that the project descrption in each cell
> does not exceed 70 characters.
>
> Is there a function that I can use for this?
>
> For example
>
> A project for all to review
>
> This title has 28 characters (counting from A to w), other than manual not
> sure if this can be done
>
> Thanks
Perfect Ron!  Thanks!

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

> Try this:
>
> This function returns the number of characters in Cell A1
> =LEN(A1)
>
> This function returns up to 70 characters from cell A1
> =LEFT(A1,70)
>
> Does that help?
>
> ***********
> Regards,
> Ron
>
> XL2002, WinXP-Pro
>

> "ssciarrino" wrote:
>
> > Trying to do a conversion of data into a flat file.  Using excel we have a
> > column called Project Description.
> >
> > I want to run a function to ensure that the project descrption in each cell
> > does not exceed 70 characters.
> >
> > Is there a function that I can use for this?
> >
> > For example
> >
> > A project for all to review
> >
> > This title has 28 characters (counting from A to w), other than manual not
> > sure if this can be done
> >
> > Thanks
0
ssciarrino (19)

character styles
How do I put multiple character styles on one line override the style by selecting and applying what you want to the selected text -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression Web "Mac44118" <Mac44118@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F194B331-64A9-45CE-A846-4B94B320E7CF@microsoft.com... > How do I put multiple character styles on one line ...

Returning a range from an inner function
I have a range of data, which has had the DOLLAR() function performed on it. I would like to get the total of this range using the SUM() function. doing SUM(F1:F4) will not work, so I need to convert the data into values that will work. The VALUE() function is perfect for converting the data into values that will work for SUM(), but the formula SUM(VALUE(F1:F4)) does not work because VALUE() will not accept a range as a parameter (and also does not return a range). I need to perform the VALUE() function on each cell before submitting it to SUM(). There must be some way to do this, cons...

Can a Formula in Cell X modify Cell Y?
Example: A Formula in Cell A1 should do the following: If cell A1 equals 1, then cell B1 should have the value 5, otherwise B1 should be 6. A condition in cell A1 is changing the value of cell B1... is that possible? Please note that there is NO Formular in Cell B1, which is the cell to be modified... Thanks No, only through VBA -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "alMandragor" <alMandragor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:94154F2A-DBD2-4A47-AF47-F21935C77B91@microsoft.com... > Example: > > A Formula in Cell A1 should do the following: > > If c...

Show actual values added instead of cell references? (=A1+A4 shows as =10+2 in cell)
Is this even possible? I have the following: A1 =A2 (Shows result of 10) A2 10 A3 A4 =A5 (Shows Result of 2) A5 2 A7 =10+2 (Shows result of 27) Is there a way to show the formula in A7 as =10+2 instead of having it =A2+A5 ??? Thanks a bunch! On Dec 29, 1:24=A0pm, Naji <najisaa...@gmail.com> wrote: > Is this even possible? > > I have the following: > > A1 =A0=3DA2 (Shows result of 10) > A2 =A010 > A3 > A4 =3DA5 (Shows Result of 2) > A5 2 > > A7 =3D10+2 (Shows result of 27) > > Is there a way to show the formula in A7...

Excel 2007
In Excel 2003, one could select a cell, highlight a part of the contained text string and then right-clidk and format text. I could get underlining, bold, font, color, etc. For some reason, with Excel 2007, I can do the same, but when I hit the enter button, the formatting disappears. It reappears if I select the cell and press F2. Is there some setting that I have missed? ...

ROUND Function with other function
Hi, I have this formula: =IF(R8>0,CONCATENATE("+",R8),R8) and the results shows me for example: +11.6 but what I really want t show is +12. I've been trying to put the "Round" function at a few places in th formula but it doesn't work. The closest I got was with this formula: =ROUND(IF(R8>0,CONCATENATE("+",R8),R8),0) where it showed me 12, without the "+" sign before.... Can anyone help me ? Thank -- Outapi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Outapin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member...

Conditional Formatting
Is it possible to format a portion of a text string within a cell (as opposed to the entire cell). For example, I would like to format the word 'gift' in red font anywhere it a appears in range C2:C417 but only that word, not the entire cell. Not with conditional formatting. But you could change the actual format for that word (or group of characters)... Saved from a previous post (or two!): If you want to change the color of just the characters, you need VBA in all versions. You want a macro???? Option Explicit Option Compare Text Sub testme() Application.ScreenUpdating ...

Array
Hi all. I'm trying to use for my first time, a single dimension array to use within an external sql query. I build the array from column A. This can be a variable amount, from 2 to 800. However, I can only use 150 rows at a time in the query. Below is what I have so far, in building the array. It's just the pulling out of 150 records at a time, or the remainder to put into the sql query. I will be building the sql query string as such: bug_number = (bug1,bug2,bug3) --these are the numbers in the array. (must have comma's between them) strQuery_main = "select dis...

JustifyString function problem
Hi, I'm using the "JustifyString" function (from Stephan Lebans) to right justify three columns in a ListBox. Two of them are working fine ... one's a simple number (long integer) and the other's currency. The third causes an Access 2003 crash! That third column is a long integer which is a link to the autonumber field in another table. Both tables are in the query as I need columns from both tables in the ListBox. If I change the JustifyString to reference the autonumber field in the other table, I still get an Access crash. I didn't review the Access er...

How to have auto dialog box showing when selecting cell
I would like to have a dialog box appear each time a cell is selected in a column. I need the dialog box show the next cheque number and allow the user to change that if necessary. The cells cannot have a formula in it as that would cause problems when sorting. Is there a way to do this? Rob You could use data validation to do this. Firstly in an empty area of the worksheet define a cell that is equa to max(column range where the cehque numbers are shown) + 1. (ie max(a:a) + 1 Then set the data validation for the whole cheque input range to list list = the address of the new cell. Th...

Adding a character to a column
I have a column made up by numbers from 10000 to 30000, is there a way to turn: 10000 10001 10002 10003 Javi Not sure what you are asking for here. Do you want to add 1 to each number? What does "turn" mean in your question? Transpose from column to rows? Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 18:49:45 -0600, Javi <<Javi.zmzcv@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote: >I have a column made up by numbers from 10000 to 30000, is there a way >to turn: > >10000 >10001 >10002 >10003 let me see if I can make it clear :o I want it to stay in the same pla...

Cell manipulation
I have a spreadsheet with 20 rows of data. The data is one cell in length and goes from cell A1 to A20. What I'm wondering is if there's a formula or function that I can use to take the data that is in cell A2 and move it to B1 and likwise down the list -- A3 to C1, A4 to D1. This 20 item list is a very small one. I'm going to be working with 200 items and larger and need to do the same thing. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Kevin G copy. paste-special in a blank cell with transpose selected. >-----Original Message----- >I have a spreadsheet with 20 rows ...

Returning a CHAR[] from a function
I have the following function that returns the path of where the program was run from. However I cant seem to return the butter as a CHAR. The code works if I use it in a procedure but not where I need to return the variable CHAR buffer. char CAutoRunDlg::GetProgramPath(void) { char buffer[_MAX_PATH]; //declares maimum path //opens window maximized //_getcwd(,)gets the current working directory // #include <direct.h> //needed for current working directory /* Get the current working directory: */ if( _getcwd( buffer, _MAX_PATH ) == NULL ) perror( "_getcwd error" )...

automating functions
I am a complete novice at CRM 1.2, but want to be able to create, for example, a workflow process that will monitor the CSR's and the queues and automatically assign a new case to the least busy CSR. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Jim Please tell me what I would have to do and with what tools in order to create such a workflow process. "jmb" wrote: > I am a complete novice at CRM 1.2, but want to be able to create, for > example, a workflow process that will monitor the CSR's and the queues and > automatically assign a new case to the lea...

Turning Off Error Reporting using API Functions and VB
We want to automatically turn off the error reporting options using Windows API functions for the following functions area Click on Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, the Advanced tab and Error Reporting (at the bottom of the screen), which launches the Error Reporting screen. Another way to get to that screen: Open My Computer, right-click on Properties, click on Advanced tab and Error Reporting. Any assistance would be welcome. It's not a program's call. It's the user's decision. --=20 -------------------------------------------------------------------------= --...

Complex functions
Hi All, Suppose you have a very complex and long function that is also subject to a condition, then you will/can have something like: =if(condition(complex function), complex function, other complex function) It can have more lines in the formula bar, so readability below 0 Kelvin. Is there a way to 'name' a function? =If(condition(myfunc = complex function), myfunc, other complex function) With kind regards, JP Yes you can put a formula into an Excel Name (the same as you can give a range an Excel Name. Very powerful it can be too. Do a Google fo...

How do I add a cell reference in a header?
I'm trying to add a cell reference in the header of an Excel document. The workbook allows a user to select choices from a drop-down menu and pulls the specific data into summaries, but I would also like the selection to change the header each time. Hi only possible with VBA using an event procedure. e.g. put the following code in your workbook module: Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) Dim wkSht As Worksheet For Each wkSht In Me.Worksheets With wkSht.PageSetup .CenterHeader = wkSht.range("A1").value End With Next wkSht End Sub -...

Match Function
Hi, I have put together a spreadsheet to find codes, states, descriptions. It finds the data by dates. Columns are: Dates, Codes, States, Descriptions If I put in a date it matches the code, state and description. My problem is that if I have 2 dates that are the same it will only match the first date it can find. What kind of formula do I need so that it will output the second or third date data. Thanks for your help. If you need a copy of the spreadsheet please let me know. How many rows of data do you have? -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Melanie" <Melanie@discussio...

If Function Function
okay. So I am trying to workout a formula to compute a commision earning. Basically, if X amount of new business is made, then X*Y (corresponding Commision rate percentage), but if new business =<X, then X*Y (Commision rate percentage that is true). Problem is, it's super confusing...anyone have any suggestions? See if this helps: http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/variablerate.html -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "aetejada" <aetejada@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA4E55F7-9435-4BB6-837A-416A59BB72A0@microsoft.com... > okay. So I am...

How to Select Multiple Cells Conforming to A Certain Criteria Automatically?
Dear all, I have a big table containing a lot of data in my worksheet. Within a particular column, I want to select cells whose row numbers form an arithmetic progression with a common difference 8(e.g. G6, G14, G22, ...). At the moment, I can only perform this task by selecting the cells individually while pressing "Ctrl", however, due to the large number of data in the table, this work is very tedious. Does anyone know if there is an automatic way to select these cells? Thank you. Best wishes, Alex, This code can do the job for you. Sub SelectCells() Dim rng1 As Range ...

Fill a 15 Characters Data with Zeros
I am getting nuts with this.... I have an amount in A1: 108.203 And I need to fill A2 that must be 15 characters with the value of A1 and the remain characters before the first number (1) must be fill with Zeros. E.I.: The result must be: A2= 00000000108.203 Is there a way to do it? Thanks in advance for your help. Maybe... =text(a1,rept("0",11)&".000") Is the number of decimal places always 3? ileanardz wrote: > > I am getting nuts with this.... > > I have an amount in A1: 108.203 > > And I need to fill A2 that m...

timing a function
Good Morning All, I've writen an MFC C++ application, under VC++6.0 . How can I check how much time it takes for a specific function to complete? I need to know how many miliseconds one of my function call takes. Thanks very much in advance, Dudu Arbel If your accuracy requirement is in ms - use GetTickCount. -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] http://www.voidnish.com http://blog.voidnish.com "dududuil" <dududuil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0167B90-33D2-4A4F-A73D-DC4EBEF81946@microsoft.com... > Good Morning All, > > I've writen an MFC C++ ...

Funny characters in text
Hi I use the following code to insert lines of address text into an excel sheet. Dim MyXL As Object Set MyXL = GetObject("C:\My Spreadsheet.xls") MyXL.WorkSheets("Sheet1").Range("C7").Value = Me.Client & vbCrLf & Me.[Client Address] The problem is that on a client's pc the address shows funny boxes in spreadsheet between address lines, I presume these are CRLF characters. However on my PC I don't see them. Even when they send me a spreadsheet which I can see by remotely login in has boxes, does not show boxes at my end. What is the probl...

Outlook 2002 Change Password function
I want users to be able to change password from the Outlook Login Page, but it does noet seem to work. Outlook 2002 Sp1 and Windows Server 2003 (AD) and Exchange 2003 SP1 Important: Outlook client is not member of the domain... There are not many Microsoft Articles about this. Anyone? -- Regards, Menko den Ouden Netherlands Menko den Ouden schreef in deze nieuwsgroep op 23-6-2005 15:28: > I want users to be able to change password from the Outlook Login Page, but > it does noet seem to work. > > Outlook 2002 Sp1 and Windows Server 2003 (AD) and Exchange 2003 SP1 > ...

DateDiff function throwing error in Where clause
I have a set of queries that generate dates and want to use DateDiff to select those records with certain dates are greater than others. The following clause keeps giving me an incompatible data type error: WHERE DateDiff('d',[From date],[DatumStvoreni])>0 I have the exact expression in the SELECT clause and it show positive and negative integers just fine, but when I add this test, I get the error. There are no bad values in the dataset, I've looked, and when I export the DateDiff column to a temp table and run a query on that, it works fine. Only when I use t...