frequency table

Dear all
I have a list of 10 employee names some names are appears more than on
time in the list. Can MS Excel create a frequency table or any kind of
table which shows the name of the employee and the frequency of each
name.
Regards
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You can create a table using COUNTIF.

Your list is in the range $A$1:$A$20.  This is the list where
employees may appear frequently.

Your distinct list of employees starts in B1.  In C1 enter this
formula:

COUNTIF($A$1:$A$20,B1)

You can then copy this down your distinct employees list.
0
reitzen (3)
3/2/2011 6:49:42 PM
On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 01:51:19 -0800 (PST), Omar <omarfdawood@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Dear all
>I have a list of 10 employee names some names are appears more than on
>time in the list. Can MS Excel create a frequency table or any kind of
>table which shows the name of the employee and the frequency of each
>name.
>Regards

You could use a Pivot Table.  It would give you a unique list of employees, and the number of times each employee is listed.
0
ron6368 (329)

Query question on joining information from two tables
Given two tables: Foo ( foo_id foo_desc manchu_id) Manchu ( manchu_id manchu_desc) In table Foo: foo_id foo_desc manchu_id 1 apples 1 2 pears 1 3 apples 2 In table Manchu: manchu_id manchu_desc 1 ripe 2 spoiled How would I join these two tables in a query to get a result that looks like this: 1 apples ripe 2 pears ripe 3 apples spoiled Thanks This is a basic inner join on the manchu_id column: SELECT F.foo_id, F.foo_desc, M.man...

Append a framed table
Hello I have a table with a frame all around it. How do I append a row quickly? My only solution so far is: 1. mark the last row of the table 2. insert row (shift cells down) 3. copy content from last row to the empty row 4. insert data in the last row Is there another way? Hi, AFAIK that's the only way to do it. I often wish MS had an "append" in addition to "insert". jeff >-----Original Message----- >Hello > >I have a table with a frame all around it. > >How do I append a row quickly? > >My only solution so far is: >1. mark the last ...

pivot table #15
is there a way to preserve border outlines in a pivot table after you refresh? Right-click a cell in the pivot table, and choose Table Options Ensure that Preserve Formatting is turned on, and AutoFormat is turned off, then click OK To format cells, enable selection should be turned on. To enable selection -- From the Pivot toolbar, choose PivotTable>Select If it's not already activated, click on Enable Selection To format a section of a pivot table, e.g. subtotals -- Move the pointer to the left of a subtotal heading in the pivot table. When the black arrow appears (like the on...

More table trouble
Consider a grid with 20 spaces, Space A, Space B etc. In each space Iwant to list a persons name and a date. I would like the data entry tobe on a form graphically.Do I set up one table with fields SpaceA-Name, SpaceA-Date, SpaceB-Name, SpaceB-Date etc.? This would certainly make it easier indesigning the form and making sure the data goes to the right field,but it's probably poor table design. Or do I use separate tables? Andthen how do I set up the form with the proper record sources?My brain hurts.Thanks,Dave B On Mar 9, 7:56 am, "Dave" <Dave.Bea...@lhsc.on.ca> wrote:>...

Search a Table, find, and copy all data from the row
Would someone be kind enough to help me on this? I want to take a list compare it to a table, and if a match copy all of the elements from th table in the same row in which the element match was found: LIST CAT DOG MOUSE TABLE HORSE BROWN LARGE Worker DOG WHITE SMALL Pet When list matches table, I want to copy the information from th following columns (e.g. WHITE, SMALL, Pet) and place in columns next t the item in the list, so the list would then look like: CAT DOG WHITE SMALL Pet MOUSE Thank you for any help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Toddman If there is on...

Bill Frequency
Does or why doesn't Microsoft Money allow for an every other week skip last frequence when creating new bills? I've never seen it and it's the one frequency that I really need as that is how my Mortgage account is setup. I make payments every other week and skip the 5th week in the two months that have them. Thanks! John The Money recurrence model is **very** simple. Outlook's is much better. Even it won't handle the model you are suggesting. Why is Money's so simple? Apparently because they think Most Users Prefer(tm) it this way. It comes up here often enoug...

Include info from data source in data table but not in chart
Need to represent a variance between two pieces of data in data table but do not want it to show in the corresponding chart. Hide the series in the chart by formatting it to use no markers, no lines, no fills, no whatever. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/ _______ "UHSH Admin" <UHSH Admin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8FBA495E-F8EC-4DD9-A6D5-61C819C4CAE6@microsoft.com... > Need to represent a variance between two pieces of data in data table but > do > not want it...

Pivot Table with multiple worksheets
Hi, Sorry but I have gone through all help programs and cannot find how to make a pivot table with multiple worksheets.Any help would be great. You can create a Pivot Table from multiple consolidation ranges, but you won't get the same pivot table layout that you'd get from a single range. There's an example here: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot08.html If possible, store your data on a single worksheet, or in a database, and base the pivot table on that. You'll have more flexibility in creating the pivot table jo74 wrote: > Hi, > Sorry but I have go...

Linking/attaching access tables
Hi Is it possible to link access tables to a sql server 2005 db? I can't seem to find any option in Management Studio. Thanks Regards John See details in the BOL how to build a linked server to Access "John" <info@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message news:uVHXQzltKHA.6124@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Hi > > Is it possible to link access tables to a sql server 2005 db? I can't seem > to find any option in Management Studio. > > Thanks > > Regards > > ...

Importing of tables and other database elements into a new databas
I have posted a query on the subject but i don't remember the exact date. How to find our my query and know whether it is answered or not. On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 22:57:01 -0700, Bobharis <Bobharis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: I typically go to groups.google.com and run a query there. -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >I have posted a query on the subject but i don't remember the exact date. >How to find our my query and know whether it is answered or not. How depends on what ... what newsreader are you using? Have you tried <Find>? -- Regar...

TABLE W/RUNNING BALANCE
need an excel table. needs the starting balance, the date, vendor name, amount and have it deducted from the running balance, very simple like a check book. thank you Donna column a .....date column b .....name column c .....amount column d .....balance start in row 1 with headings row 2 with the opening balance in D2 enter in D3 =if(C3="","",D2-C3) this means in plain language if cell c3 is empty show d3 to be empty, otherwise is c3 has a value show the baance in D3 hover over the right hand bottom corner of cell D3 the mouse pointer will change to a &qu...

Need To Complete Formular To Sort And Show Frequency
Column A is a list of numbers that will be manually entered, processe and replaced frequently. I'd like to have Column B represent the sorted list without multiple in decending order with no blank rows and Column C represent th frequency of occurences for each value in A. A....B....C 5....3....2 3....4....3 4....5....1 4.....* 3.....* 4.....* * represents error message MORRIGAN HAS OFFERED THE FOLLOWING FORMULAS THAT PERFORM WELL. AGAIN, THANK YOU MORRIGAN *Assume row 1 is your header, A2:A7 is the data B2 = SMALL(A$2:A$7,1+SUM(C$1:C1)) C2 = COUNTIF(A$2:A$7,B2) C1 can be blank b...

Indexing GP tables
Does anyone know if there is any reason why I shouldn't create additional indexes on GP tables. A customer needs this for report performance for custom AR reporting. Does this affect GP in any way? Does it impact licensing? VGrinam See this post from yesterday: http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/Newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.greatplains&lang=en&cr=US -- Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager HDA, Inc. Hazelwood, MO GP 9.0, SP2 "VGrinam" wrote: > Does anyone know if there is any reason why I shouldn't creat...

which better: Frequency vs Histogram
I read "Explore Histograms" in http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011109481033.aspx and found it educational. However, I can't see a difference in output between using a Histogram and using the Frequency function. Can anybody share the pros and cons of each? I think you have missed the point. The article says that the table produced by the ATP histogram tool is exactly the same as the table (with same bin definitions) produced by the FREQUENCY function. The difference is not in the values calculated, but in the fact that the histogram table is a static t...

Pivot Table Question #8
I have a pivot table that looks a bit like this Month Measure Jul-06 Aug-06 Sep-06 Income 20 30 40 Each month the data table that the pivot is based on has another month's worth of data added i.e for the above example the income for Oct-06 will be added. The problem is that in the above pivot I have manually gone into the Month field and deselected 'All' and then selected 'Jul-06', 'Aug-06', 'Sep-06', so next month when October is added to the data the above pivot will be unchanged i.e Oct-06 won't appear...

No Group dialog box appear when working in Pivot Table
I'm trying to group a range of dates in pivot table. According to help files a dialog box should appear when selecting Group..., but nothing happens except a grouping of the entire marked range. How do I go about in order to make the Grouping dialog box show? Best Regards PerD > PerD, This might be something particular to my set-up (XL2K), but I have to build the table initially by specifying the data range *exactly* (click'n'drag on the worksheet) for grouping dates to be an option. If I use a blanket source (eg: A:B) it won't cut it. Try it again from scratch, the...

Defragmentation frequency
I use my home PC (XP SP3) to burn CD’s and movies. I start off by transferring 2-4 GB of data from USB drives to the HHD. After the transfer, I run Disk clean and then Defrag. Often, Defrag shows blocks of fragmented files. Sometimes I have to run Defrag multiple times in order to clean them up before burning the CD's. I was speaking w/ a Dell tech rep yesterday about my new laptop (Windows 7 64 bit) & he indicated that running Defrag too often may damage my system - for W 7, he said to just run it every other month. I would appreciate your opinion as to whether t...

How do I manipulate pivot table report to include percentage of?
In my pivot table report, I have two variables in the "data" field, TRIALS and CONVERSIONS. The two variables are summarized by sums, which is what I want. However, I would like the second variable, CONVERSIONS, to be expressed as a % of TRIALS. What I've tried already: In the Pivot Table Field for the CONVERSIONS variable, I clicked on Options >>; I clicked on Show data as "% of". Base field=TRIALS. Here's where the problem is (I think): I don't know what to click on for Base Item; I tried clicking on both (previous) and (next), but I got back a #...

Creating summary table
I'm a pretty experienced user and this may be a simple task, but I don't know exactly how to start. I have a worksheet where columns represent different countries and rows different years, and if the country managed to balance its balance its budget in a given year the worksheet shows a value of 1 and if not, a value of zero. (The definition of balanced budget is more complex, but doesn't matter here.) What I'd like to do is create a summary table that would have two columns, listing the country and the year in which its budget was balanced, but omitting any countrie...

Frequency within a frequency
Hi, I think I have a simple question here, but unable to figure it out myself, so seeking help on it. I have some accident records with column heads as "Acc.MP(mile point)", "Severity Index(some number betw.1-5)". I know the start and end mile point of the route and I can find the frequency in 1 mile bins using the frequency function. But I also want to know for each mile, how many 5's are there. Heres an illustration of it. Acc.MP Severity Index 0.32 1 0.5 5 0.8 4 0.95 5 1.23 5 S...

How do I split a cell in a table
How do I split a cell horizonally in a table in MW Pub 2007? the option is grayed out. thanks for your help -- Suegb Inc. You can't unless you merged the cells at one time and want to re-split them. You can create a text box(es) to mimic a split cell. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "suegb" <suegb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:946E2907-2C47-4A5A-B26F-4E951E3D25B5@microsoft.com... > How do I split a cell horizonally in a table in MW Pub 2007? the option is > grayed out. thanks for your help > -- > Suegb Inc. ...

Table creation using SanScript
I have an application (GP add-in) that defines 4 tables. I have a procedure that is run just before the tables are accessed that opens each of them using the following command: open table mytable; close table mytable; When I'm in the development environment (Dexterity), the tables are created fine. When I install my chunk file and run GP, one of the tables is not created - the other three are. I have deleted and recreated them. Their definition is identical in Dexterity, that is the parameters of their definition (table type, etc.). Does anyone have any idea why one of the tab...

Help Pop Up Table
Hi, I am creating a form and would like to have a table of information pop up, perhaps upon entering information in a field. Thanks, Craig Hi not quite sure what you're trying to do but one way to give information about a specific filed for the user would be to use a comment. select your cell and goto 'Insert - Comment' You may also consider using 'Data - Validation' and define a custom error message >-----Original Message----- >Hi, > >I am creating a form and would like to have a table of >information pop up, perhaps upon entering information in...

Chart Format generated from a Pivot Table Data
After I Format a Chart generated from a Pivot table Data, and I change a selection, for example "Plant".. Al the information on the chart changes, according to the new plant selection, but, why the Chart Type and the format also changes too... I need to keep the same chart type and format to keep reviewing the information for the rest of the plants.... with the same chart type and format. Microsoft admits they goofed that one up: XL2000: Changing a PivotChart Removes Series Formatting http://support.microsoft.com/?id=215904 They suggest you record a macro, so you can r...

Pivot Table Show detail to retained Pivot tables formatting
Dear Microsoft, When I have a pivot table summarising the Amount of "Spend" by each team I format the Spend field as a currency field in the data area. Now when I double click on it, it opens this detail in another worksheet but doesnt retain the formatting used in the pivot table. Its my understanding that this is not possible. Possible move forward in Excels development? I see pivot tables as one of the most useful area's in Excel. Regards -- Adam ----------- Windows 98 + Office Pro 97 In addition to posting your comment here, you can send suggestions to: mswish@m...