Formulas Divided by 0 =#Div/0!

I usually come across this problem, and I fix it with a simple if statement.

But today, I have received a huge spreadsheet and this problem is all over
the place, at least 100 entries.  Cut and paste the modifed formula with an
if statement will not work.

Is there an easier way to show a 0 or blank in this cells instead of #Div/0!

Thanks
Chad

0
chadNOT483 (12)
3/13/2009 3:08:17 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

If you're only interested in hiding the errors--not changing the values, you
could use conditional formatting.

Select the cell (say A1)
and then
Format|conditional formatting (xl2003 menus)
formula is:
=ISERROR(A1)

And make the font color the same as the fill (white on white???).

This won't remove the error -- it just hides it.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Looking deeper into it, I cannot have a blank because then people might type
stuff in there.  I don't want to have to lockdown the spreadsheet.  We use
Green Font to show that it is a formula and should not be touched.  So, a
blank will not work, therefore neither will the conditional formating.

If I need a '0' in the cell, is there another way other than the if
statement?  The more I think about it, the more I realize that the #Div/0!
is there for a reason, and is probably not easy to get rid of.  I guess I
could use .0001 instead of 0.

Thanks
Chad

> If you're only interested in hiding the errors--not changing the values,
> you
> could use conditional formatting.
>
> Select the cell (say A1)
> and then
> Format|conditional formatting (xl2003 menus)
> formula is:
> =ISERROR(A1)
>
> And make the font color the same as the fill (white on white???).
>
> This won't remove the error -- it just hides it.
>
> Chad Cameron wrote:
>>
>> I usually come across this problem, and I fix it with a simple if
>> statement.
>>
>> But today, I have received a huge spreadsheet and this problem is all
>> over
>> the place, at least 100 entries.  Cut and paste the modifed formula with
>> an
>> if statement will not work.
>>
>> Is there an easier way to show a 0 or blank in this cells instead of
>> #Div/0!
>>
>> Thanks
>> Chad
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
chadNOT483 (12)
3/13/2009 4:02:57 PM
Just use conditional formatting to return a green "0".  People will know it
is a formula.

"Chad Cameron" <chadNOT483@hotmail.com remove NOT> wrote in message
> Thanks Dave,
>
> Looking deeper into it, I cannot have a blank because then people might
> type stuff in there.  I don't want to have to lockdown the spreadsheet.
> We use Green Font to show that it is a formula and should not be touched.
> So, a blank will not work, therefore neither will the conditional
> formating.
>
> If I need a '0' in the cell, is there another way other than the if
> statement?  The more I think about it, the more I realize that the #Div/0!
> is there for a reason, and is probably not easy to get rid of.  I guess I
> could use .0001 instead of 0.
>
> Thanks
> Chad
>
> "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message
>> If you're only interested in hiding the errors--not changing the values,
>> you
>> could use conditional formatting.
>>
>> Select the cell (say A1)
>> and then
>> Format|conditional formatting (xl2003 menus)
>> formula is:
>> =ISERROR(A1)
>>
>> And make the font color the same as the fill (white on white???).
>>
>> This won't remove the error -- it just hides it.
>>
>> Chad Cameron wrote:
>>>
>>> I usually come across this problem, and I fix it with a simple if
>>> statement.
>>>
>>> But today, I have received a huge spreadsheet and this problem is all
>>> over
>>> the place, at least 100 entries.  Cut and paste the modifed formula with
>>> an
>>> if statement will not work.
>>>
>>> Is there an easier way to show a 0 or blank in this cells instead of
>>> #Div/0!
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Chad
>>
>> --
>>
>> Dave Peterson

=if(iserror(yourformula),0,yourformula)
or
=iferror()
Only in xl2007

are the only ways I know to do it.

--

Dave Peterson
0

It appears I will have to format every cell (Thanks AAM).

Chad

"Chad Cameron" <chadNOT483@hotmail.com remove NOT> wrote in message
> Thanks Dave,
>
> Looking deeper into it, I cannot have a blank because then people might
> type stuff in there.  I don't want to have to lockdown the spreadsheet.
> We use Green Font to show that it is a formula and should not be touched.
> So, a blank will not work, therefore neither will the conditional
> formating.
>
> If I need a '0' in the cell, is there another way other than the if
> statement?  The more I think about it, the more I realize that the #Div/0!
> is there for a reason, and is probably not easy to get rid of.  I guess I
> could use .0001 instead of 0.
>
> Thanks
> Chad
>
> "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message
>> If you're only interested in hiding the errors--not changing the values,
>> you
>> could use conditional formatting.
>>
>> Select the cell (say A1)
>> and then
>> Format|conditional formatting (xl2003 menus)
>> formula is:
>> =ISERROR(A1)
>>
>> And make the font color the same as the fill (white on white???).
>>
>> This won't remove the error -- it just hides it.
>>
>> Chad Cameron wrote:
>>>
>>> I usually come across this problem, and I fix it with a simple if
>>> statement.
>>>
>>> But today, I have received a huge spreadsheet and this problem is all
>>> over
>>> the place, at least 100 entries.  Cut and paste the modifed formula with
>>> an
>>> if statement will not work.
>>>
>>> Is there an easier way to show a 0 or blank in this cells instead of
>>> #Div/0!
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Chad
>>
>> --
>>
>> Dave Peterson

0
chadNOT483 (12)
3/13/2009 5:55:44 PM
Post back how you used conditional formatting to return a green 0.

--

Dave Peterson
0

I can't.
I give up.  I will just use the if statment to check for dividing by 0.
It's a bit more work, but I know I get the answer I want.

Thanks anyways,
Chad

Dave, your ISERROR function would have worked, but I wanted a 0 visible.

> Post back how you used conditional formatting to return a green 0.
>
> Chad Cameron wrote:
>>
>> Thanks AAM & Dave,
>>
>> It appears I will have to format every cell (Thanks AAM).
>>
>> Chad
>>
>> "Chad Cameron" <chadNOT483@hotmail.com remove NOT> wrote in message
>> > Thanks Dave,
>> >
>> > Looking deeper into it, I cannot have a blank because then people might
>> > type stuff in there.  I don't want to have to lockdown the spreadsheet.
>> > We use Green Font to show that it is a formula and should not be
>> > touched.
>> > So, a blank will not work, therefore neither will the conditional
>> > formating.
>> >
>> > If I need a '0' in the cell, is there another way other than the if
>> > statement?  The more I think about it, the more I realize that the
>> > #Div/0!
>> > is there for a reason, and is probably not easy to get rid of.  I guess
>> > could use .0001 instead of 0.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Chad
>> >
>> > "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
chadNOT483 (12)
3/13/2009 7:42:16 PM
Why wasn't it visible?

=if(iserror(yourformula),0,yourformula)

If you had used:
=if(iserror(yourformula),"",yourformula)
I'd understand.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Chad

> Why wasn't it visible?
>
> =if(iserror(yourformula),0,yourformula)
>
> If you had used:
> =if(iserror(yourformula),"",yourformula)
> I'd understand.
>
> Chad Cameron wrote:
>>
>> You are a step a head of me.
>>
>> I can't.
>> I give up.  I will just use the if statment to check for dividing by 0.
>> It's a bit more work, but I know I get the answer I want.
>>
>> Thanks anyways,
>> Chad
>>
>> Dave, your ISERROR function would have worked, but I wanted a 0 visible.
>>
>> "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message
>> > Post back how you used conditional formatting to return a green 0.

>> > --
>> >
>> > Dave Peterson
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
chadNOT483 (12)
3/13/2009 10:27:54 PM
If you know both cells are going to be numeric, then checking to see if the
denominator is non-zero makes perfectly good sense.

If you're not sure it the user is typing numbers, then you may want to stop
other errors.

But you may want to see those #value! errors--it'll give a hint to the user that
they typed text.

--

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
3/13/2009 10:48:25 PM
Try following codes
[code]
Private Sub mySub()
    Dim row As Integer, col As Integer
    For row = 1 To 100
        For col = 1 To 10
            If IsError(Sheet1.Cells(row, col).Value) Then
                Sheet1.Cells(row, col).Value = ""
            End If
        Next
    Next
End Sub
[/code]

Chris
------
Convert your Excel spreadsheet into an online calculator.
http://www.spreadsheetconverter.com
0
chris4082 (16)

FRx 6.7 Compatability with GP 10. 0
Hi, Is FRx 6.7 is campatable with GP 10.0? I have installed Frx 6.7 with and using successfully as local cleint but as requirement I need to run the same Balance Sheet Report which I have created on my client machine want to run on the different client machines withou installing the FRx. Do I need to installed FRx on each client machine? Please give the details. Your immediate help will be greatly appreciated. -- Developer Yes. Frx 6.7 is compatible with GP 10.0. Make sure to apply the latest service pack. I am not sure I understand your question. Are you asking if you need to c...

help with formula please #2

Appending or Up-dating a formula

help with a formula #5

Formula #29

Can offset be used in this formula?

ASP.Net 4.0
HELP! Any time a control that posts using DoPostback (ie, via javascript) the event is fired twice on the server. Example: Regular asp:Buttons do not fire twice but autopostback dropdownlists do as well as <Button runat="server" OnServerClick="asdf"> controls. INFO: asp.net 4.0 C# dev machines: both XP & 7 master pages with lots of ASCX controls on each page for control reuse. (Though, the double fire even happened on the login page where there are no ascx controls) Please help, this is bringing down the project. -- L. Lee Saunders ...

Formula to return tomorrow's date.

GP Upgrade--9.0 to 10.0-Registration Error
I installed GP 10.0 on test server and created the new company to much current production environment which is Gp 9.0. I can easily log in to Gp but it thinks it's trail version and that i have 90 days to register. I tried using my GP 10.0 License Keys to register but get error "invalid license keys". HELP! Registration keys are not interchangeable among different versions of GP. If you are a customer, you will need to contact your partner for new registration keys, and if you are a partner, you can get new ones from VOICE. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, ...

Second Attempt : Quote Template for Word (CRM 4.0)
Dear Forum Members: I have a hosted Microsoft CRM 4.0 application. I am trying to Print a Quote for my Customer in CRM (from Sales>Opportunities Area) and need a resource for creating a sample Microsoft Word mail merge template for quotes. I need either a Sample Quote Template or instructions on how to create one from scratchin Microsoft Word (with Data Source from CRM). If you can help, please let me know. Thanks! On Feb 27, 5:59=A0am, Casey <Ca...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Dear Forum Members: > > I have a hosted Microsoft CRM 4.0 application. I am try...

Weekday formula

Formula to return a formula

Count formula within a named range.

RMS Version 3.0
Hi, is there any news about RMS Version 3.0? I can't find any information about a release date. Thanks, Timo I remember when participating in the 1.3 web cast MS also outlined the next version timelines. At that time release 3.0 was scheduled for the first quarter of 2008. Well, the quarter has come and gone and no word about 3.0. Nothing from my reseller either nor from the beta team (I had volunteered to become a beta tester). I just see my maintenance dollars wasted yet again for not getting anything for it. Here we have a product that is supposed to be better then the competi...

Including a formula in a path name.

FORMULA #14

formula wording
i dont know if you can do this..... if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language thanks if anyone can hel -- cutsygur ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cutsygurl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1504 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27569 cutsygurl Wrote: > i dont know if you can do this..... > if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) > if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language &...

Formula Problem #12
I have $700,000 to spend on advertising for three different products. My market share for the three products is 51.96%, 36.07% and 41.25%. I want to apportion my 700K between the three products so that the product with the lowest market share gets the most advertising dollars, etc. Using my data, I've been trying to devise a formula all night that would do this, but I'm stumped. I could use a hint... Here's one way of doing it - put 700,000 in A1 and put your 2 percentage shares in B1:B3 and then put this formula in C1: =3DA$1*(1-B1/SUM(B$1:B$3))/2 Format as currency and co...

CRM 4.0 websiteurl field not "linked"
In CRM 3.0 you used to be able to click on the websiteurl field and it would open up a web browser and navigate to that URL. This isn't working in CRM 4.0. Is there a way to correct this? Normally it should work if you double click the url in the field... Regards, Kevin Dosseray "cmariotti@careerdoor.com" wrote: > In CRM 3.0 you used to be able to click on the websiteurl field and it > would open up a web browser and navigate to that URL. > > This isn't working in CRM 4.0. Is there a way to correct this? > ...

Lock in formulas
I have a worksheet that I use over-and-over again. It has several columns of data, and some of the columns have long and hard to remember formulas to total the columns. I usually delete the numbers in the columns after I print out the worksheet, leaving the formulas intact at the bottom of the columns. Being human, I occasionally goof and delete the sum formulas too. Is there a way that I can lock the formula cell at the bottom of the column so that I don't accidentally delete it? Thanks in advance, Malcolm A two step process a) select the cell that you DO want the user ...

How to translate a getpivotdata formula into a cell reference
Hi all, I want to be able to get the cell reference (in the format A1) of a GETPIVOTDATA reference. For example: =(GETPIVOTDATA("Sum of Qty",'$A$5,"Customer Name","ABC Company")) pulls data from a corresponding cell in the table. That reference is A10 but I want to get this from the actual GETPIVOTDATA reference itself. Is this possible? Regards Morgan ...

sum formula
good day! i copied a table from a html and paste to excel2000 i try to get the sum =SUM(B5:B10) but the outcome is 0.when i check the number on the cell,i found out that theres a space at the end. i try this formula {=SUM(VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(B5:B10," ","")))} but the result was #VALUE!. Hi! > i copied a table from a html Chances are the "space" is really a char(160) &nbsp; space. Try this: =SUMPRODUCT(1*SUBSTITUTE(B5:B10,CHAR(160),"")) Your best course of action would be to get rid of those characters and then use a simple =SUM(B5:B10). ...