Formulas are displayed, results are not - How do I alter the sheet so that the results will be displayed

Hello, For some reason, when I enter a formula into a cell and press
enter, the formula just stays there. Anyone know what I can do to show
the results?

I tried pressing Cntrl + `, but that didn't work.

FYI, when I cut and paste a column from a separate workbook, that
column works like normal (i.e., the formulas produce results).

Thanks for any suggestions!
0
js2k111 (48)
2/16/2008 2:36:58 AM
excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Mike,

Maybe your cell is preformatted as Text.
Try formatting to general then erase your =
and type it in again.

HTH
Martin

"Mike C" <js2k111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello, For some reason, when I enter a formula into a cell and press
> enter, the formula just stays there. Anyone know what I can do to show
> the results?
>
> I tried pressing Cntrl + `, but that didn't work.
>
> FYI, when I cut and paste a column from a separate workbook, that
> column works like normal (i.e., the formulas produce results).
>
> Thanks for any suggestions!

0
htmw (80)
2/16/2008 3:23:19 AM
On Feb 15, 9:23=A0pm, "MartinW" <h...@hotmail.invalid> wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> Maybe your cell is preformatted as Text.
> Try formatting to general then erase your =3D
> and type it in again.
>
> HTH
> Martin
>
> "Mike C" <js2k...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > Hello, For some reason, when I enter a formula into a cell and press
> > enter, the formula just stays there. Anyone know what I can do to show
> > the results?
>
> > I tried pressing Cntrl + `, but that didn't work.
>
> > FYI, when I cut and paste a column from a separate workbook, that
> > column works like normal (i.e., the formulas produce results).
>
> > Thanks for any suggestions!- Hide quoted text -

THanks for the response Martin. Unfortunately, changing it to General
Format is not working.
0
js2k111 (48)
2/16/2008 5:11:30 AM
Hi Mike,

AFAIK there is really only the 2 possibilities that have already been
mentioned.

Ctrl + `   that's Ctrl and grave, not Ctrl + ' which is Ctrl and
Parentheses.
This is also the same as Tools>Options>View Tab and uncheck Formulas.

and changing to General format, replace the = sign and then enter.

If neither of those work I'm afraid I am out of ideas.

Regards

On Feb 15, 9:23 pm, "MartinW" <h...@hotmail.invalid> wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> Maybe your cell is preformatted as Text.
> Try formatting to general then erase your =
> and type it in again.
>
> HTH
> Martin
>
> "Mike C" <js2k...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > Hello, For some reason, when I enter a formula into a cell and press
> > enter, the formula just stays there. Anyone know what I can do to show
> > the results?
>
> > I tried pressing Cntrl + `, but that didn't work.
>
> > FYI, when I cut and paste a column from a separate workbook, that
> > column works like normal (i.e., the formulas produce results).
>
> > Thanks for any suggestions!- Hide quoted text -

THanks for the response Martin. Unfortunately, changing it to General
Format is not working.

0
htmw (80)
2/16/2008 6:26:29 AM

"Mike C" <js2k111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello, For some reason, when I enter a formula into a cell and press
> enter, the formula just stays there. Anyone know what I can do to show
> the results?
>
> I tried pressing Cntrl + `, but that didn't work.
>
> FYI, when I cut and paste a column from a separate workbook, that
> column works like normal (i.e., the formulas produce results).
>
> Thanks for any suggestions!

Do you use Ctrl + ` regularly and does it normally work?

The reason I ask is that I had the opposite problem, I could not get the
formula to show/toggle using this key combination.

It turned out that Excel did not like the fact that I had set my default
keyboard to "Extended", when I changed it to "Standard" the key
combination worked.

Did you re-enter the formula after changing the format to General.

It's not enough to just change the format.

<<snipped>>

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Mike C" <js2k111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello, For some reason, when I enter a formula into a cell and press
> enter, the formula just stays there. Anyone know what I can do to show
> the results?
>
> I tried pressing Cntrl + `, but that didn't work.
>
> FYI, when I cut and paste a column from a separate workbook, that
> column works like normal (i.e., the formulas produce results).
>
> Thanks for any suggestions!

help with formula please #2

IMF v2
Hello, all looks like running fine. Messages will be blocked and stored to the archive folder. But messages which should be moved to the Junk-e-Mail folder are always in the Inbox. Do you have any idea why? Thank you for help Tom Make sure the Junk Email folder is enabled for each mailbox. Check these links: http://www.exchangeinbox.com/articles/015/outlookjunk.htm http://www.exchangeinbox.com/articles/008/centraljunk.htm cheers, Alexander Zammit WinDeveloper Software IMF Tune - Unleash the Full Intelligent Message Filter Power http://www.windeveloper.com/imftune/ "Thomas Kie...

How to run Visual Basic from Excel sheet #8
How do I run a Visual Basic routine from a normal Excel cell. I would like to do something like this: =IF(RunIt=TRUE, Run my Visual Basic routine, Do nothing) So if some calculations results in the variable "RunIt" is set equal to TRUE, the Visual Basic routine must run. Kristian ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi Kristian, You can only run functions from a worksheet. Not subs. You can use a worksheet change event. Do a google search for w...

Appending or Up-dating a formula

Storing a Rand result
Hi I am trying to simulate a dice roll with: =RAND()*(6-1) which works fine. I.E. in Cell A1: =RAND()*(6-1) The problem I have that I want to store the first result in the next cell I.E. in cell A2 result of A1 but every time I click on the button to roll the dice A1 changes which is ok - but A2 does not keep the result of the first roll. This is my problem. Is there any way round this? I hope you get my drift. Thanking you all in anticipation. Paul First, I would think your formula would look more like: =INT(RAND()*(6-1+1)+1) VBA's help for the RND function shows this to ...

help with a formula #5

Formula #29

Money 2006 display
When using Money 98 the report Categories would display on the monitor in bold print and the Subcategories would display on the monitor in fine print. Good visually. When the report was printed out the Categories and Subcategories printed out the same.....great. Now with Money 2006 the Categories and Subcategories display the same as Money 98 on the monitor but when printed out they both print out in bold print and are not different as they might be. I've checked settings and can't find where I can make a change for the better. Any ideas, or is this the way things are ? I&...

Can offset be used in this formula?

Formula to return tomorrow's date.

Weekday formula

Fwd::Not to display "OK" button
Hi, Long back i posted a message "Not to display "OK" button". I wanted the "OK" button not to be displayed at the right-top corner of the dialog. I got good replies too and What they guessed is right, i am working with the Pocket PC Application. Now as they said , i did this I added the below 2 lines in the OnInitDialog SHDoneButton(m_hWnd, SHDB_HIDE); ModifyStyle(0, WS_NONAVDONEBUTTON, SWP_NOSIZE); But SHDoneButton(); doesn't need 2 params so i did as SHDoneButton(SHDB_HIDE); & no change with ModifyStyle(); But the SHDoneButton(SHDB_HIDE); is retu...

Formula to return a formula

Count formula within a named range.

Changing default from printing Entire Workbook to Active Sheets
In Excel 2007, is there a place to select the data to print? I have a user that when she goes to print a document, the 'print what' section of the print box defaults to 'entire workbook.' She wants it to default to 'active sheets.' Is there a setting in Excel or the Registry that I can edit? Thanks, John ...

Including a formula in a path name.

Displaying Images in Message Preview
Is it possible to have attachements (eg. JPEG images) displayed at the end of a message. Outlook Express does this but Outlook 2002 doesn't seem too !!! Splishman No, Outlook only shows pictures in-line when they were inserted in-line by Insert-> Picture... When they were inserted as an attachment by Insert-> File... they will also be shown as attachment. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Splishman" <splishman@hotmail.com...

"fixed objects will move" warning
Dear experts, I am trying to post this again as I haven't solved my issue yet. I have a long spreadsheet (3000 rows) with columns where many cells contain comments. This causes the spreadsheet to give this warning message "fixed objects will move" whenever I try to autofilter.... and I need to hit escape hundred times to get rid of this message. Can you imagine how bad this can be when the users are going to have to use this and autofilter items in the spredasheet! Can you please help me? Any hint is precious. I have already tried the hint from the previous post t...

trying to find how to display worksheet name in cell
I'm trying to determine the formula to display the worksheet name. http://contextures.com/xlfaqFun.html#SheetName From Debra Dalgleish's site. Yvonne Barber wrote: > > I'm trying to determine the formula to display the worksheet name. -- Dave Peterson ...

select statement results msgbox
I would like to do a select count statement and display the results in a msgbox. Is that possible? ex SQL = " Select count(StoreNum) " & _ "FROM GBPEXCFMASTERFLIFLC INNER JOIN TRANSFER_MEMBER " & _ "ON GBPEXCFMASTERFLIFLC.StoreNum = TRANSFER_MEMBER.CMCUNO " & _ "WHERE (((GBPEXCFMASTERFLIFLC.StoreNum)<>'0266' " & _ "And (GBPEXCFMASTERFLIFLC.StoreNum)<>'0673' " & _ "And (GBPEXCFMASTERFLIFLC.StoreNum)<>'0306' " & _ ...

FORMULA #14

formula wording
i dont know if you can do this..... if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language thanks if anyone can hel -- cutsygur ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cutsygurl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1504 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27569 cutsygurl Wrote: > i dont know if you can do this..... > if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) > if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language &...